mtbr member
    May 2005

Kona Sutra w/ 26" wheels?

I have decided to get a Kona Sutra frame (and Kona disc fork) and build it up myself. My plan was to decide whether to go with 700C or 26" wheels after test riding with both. I know it was designed for the larger size wheels, but I think I might go with 26" for durability, since they would also work with the disc brakes.
    Just a question of how much it would affect handling.
    I am not worried about pedal strike, having never had a problem through years of fixed gear riding. I don't think pannier drag would be a consideration.
    It seems to me the only real issue would be how the change in front geometry would affect the steering feel.

My plan was to buy the largest size I can straddle with 700C wheels, and then try it out with 26" wheels.
    I like to be fairly stretched out, with a relatively short stem, ...mostly all pavement riding, so if the frame is a little on the oversized, I think that would be cool.
    I don't understand the standover heights listed. Is that at the back, middle, or front of the sloping top-tube?
    I've seen other people say that you have to pick your Kona's size by the top-tube length more than the seattube length (presumably due to the sloping top-tube) but this seems to apply more to off-road bikes than a bike largely for touring.
    frame size standover
    50 28.5
    52 29.3
    54 29.9
    56 30.7
    58 31.5
    60 32.2
    http://www.konaworld.com/2k5_catalog...NAL_p56-57.jpg

I should be able to test ride a complete bike in a couple of sizes, just wondering if my plan to run nonstandard wheels is crazy.

Thanks,
    Josh,
    Minneapolis

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Top tube length (combined with seat tube angle) is more important to bike fit and handling than seat tube length on- or off-road. Has little to do with whether the TT is sloped or not.

The smaller wheels will change the handling of the bike. You may like it or you may not.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

i heart singletrack

good point shiggy...

the potential effect on handling may be severe, but what i would be even more concerned about it bottom bracket height. your pedals will be dangerously close to the ground... i suspect you can get the fit you want without resorting to that.

let us know what you end up doing.

cheers,
    mg

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    ..concerned about...bottom bracket height. your pedals will be dangerously close to the ground...
    Not a huge issue for an on-road touring bike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common