Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Dudette

Kona Steely? Thoughts?

I've been contemplating an all-mountain/trail hardtail and was excited to see the new offering by Kona that looks like it might fit the bill - the Steely. I've been searching for reviews but haven't found much yet. I was looking for something without a lot of frills - just a nice do-it-all hardtail with slacker angles and built around a 130mm fork. Think it might be a nice step up from the '05 Giant Yukon I've been pedaling around. Been riding some technical downhill sections that I think would benefit with the slacker headtube angle. I'm pretty small - 5'4" ~ 135#, so I don't need anything really beefy. Just looked like a really fun bike...

lidless ascender
    Geometry wise it's almost identical to a On-One Inbred 456 Summer Edition and that's a seriously fun bike to ride.If the frame accepts 2.5" tires, even better.
    Basically the only thing I'd change on the Steely is the fork (possibly with a 15 or 20 mm axle) and pedals.And maybe rims (or complete wheels) as they are a bit over the top for a bike like this.

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

Dudette
    Yeah, I'm a little confused...in the "detailed specs" for the bike, they list the fork as a Rock Shox Tora 289 U-turn 85-130mm...but under "tech features", which is underneath the picture, it states the fork as being a Rock Shox Sektor U-turn...and also the hub is for a 20mm thru-axle it looks like. I have a set of Azonic Outlaws on my Yukon currently (I know, a bit overkill - but I really like them and figured I'd eventually put them on something else) that I'd probably put on this bike anyway. Now just wondering if I'd be better off just buying the frame when it's available and going from there...

lidless ascender
    I noticed that, too.But the picture and detailed specs both point to a Tora and according to the Rock Shox site Sektor doesn't come in 85-130 travel option, just 100-140 and 110-150.A Sektor would be a much nicer fork option though.

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

Dudette
    The Sektor would be a much better option...and it looks like the Tora pictured is quick release? Why use a wheel that can take a 20mm thru axle, with a standard quick release fork? Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Any more views on this bike? I'm looking for a beefier replacement of my 2008 GF Piranha that has served me very well and my younger brother has started riding it more and more.

I was pretty set on the 2010 Kona Five-O but looks like there are only 18" size left. I want a 20".

How much more different is riding on steel? What are the pluses and negatives about it?

I'm 6'4" and 250 lbs, so I need something that can handle my size, but the riding conditions out here in the Midwest (Chicago) aren't that extreme. Would the Steely suffice or would a Five-O be too much for me here?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    They don't give much away, do they? They're both heavy duty trail bikes, but all they say is that the Steely is made of butted cromoly and the Five-O is plain-gauge clump 7005 aluminium. That's not much to go on, but I guess it must mean that the Five-O is more heavy duty.

At 6-4, you're the right height for a size 20, but 250lbs is on the outer limits of what frames are designed to deal with. I doubt whether either frame would be in danger of breaking, that's not the issue, but if you like your frame as stiff as hell I'd guess you might prefer the Five-O. If you value a bit of compliance, the Steely will have more of that.

Personally I wouldn't part with my cash without getting Kona to tell me some of the info they used to give on their website but now keep to themselves. Such as what do those frames weigh? If the size 20 Steely weighs 5.25lbs, I would say it's too flexy for you. I think you need it to be 5.75.

Dudette
    Yup, was hoping to get more info on this frame and some ride reports. I think I'm pretty much deciding between this frame and the Transition TransAM...there are just some slight differences in geometry. The TransAM might win out in part because it has a lower standover and I'm on the shorter side of things at 5'4". I liked that the Kona had a slightly slacker geo though.

Meta and two veg
    Oct 2008
    I think it looks great, and I’m going to get one.
    The spec and geo is just a little more to my liking than the Orange Pure 7, and the Steely is a tad cheaper.
    The geo compares well to other bikes that I have ridden, and Kona are great at making hardtails.
    Last edited by marki3boy; 09-29-2010 at 05:51 AM.

Metal
    That Steely looks totally rad. I kinda wanted one, but opted for the 2009 Kona Five-O frame based on the price. Just got it the other day.
    Straight is better than flat.

Bnerd
    Wondering if anyone has found out any more about the Steely? Reviews? Ride reports? More info on the frame and bike weights?
    For a brand new bike there isn't really any info out there! One would think that at either Eurobike or Interbike a bike journalist would have done a write up!

I am looking to get this bike in the Spring as an 'XC/Trail' bike.

I noticed that on the Kona site that the Overview write-up has been edited. It no longer states the fork has a 20mm TA and that the HA geo now matches what is posted in the Detailed Specs 67* rather than 67.5*.
    I am not sure if the bike comes specced differently in Canada compared to the States. I'm in Canada so on the site I'm looking at the specs might be slightly different.

Meta and two veg
    Oct 2008
    My Steely should be here in a couple of weeks, I'll post up a first ride review.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So with a 100mm fork would the Steely geometry be pushed back into the traditional Kona hard tail territory. Like 68-69 degree head angle? I just like the sound of that 24 inch top tube on the 18 frame.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by marki3boy
    My Steely should be here in a couple of weeks, I'll post up a first ride review.
    Thanks,
    When you do post your review/thoughts could you also add your height/weight and the style of riding you do. I ask because it gives a review something to compare against.

Meta and two veg
    Oct 2008
    Dammit! Kona have delayed the launch of the 2011 range for a month, won't get the Steely until November.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Im wondering how would bike handle with 100mm fork?
    need more bikes...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marki3boy
    Dammit! Kona have delayed the launch of the 2011 range for a month, won't get the Steely until November.
    Not only that, Kona is very unresponsive to emails as well. I've been emailing Joe@Kona about this bike last month, and also why we won't see a 2011 Kona Five-O stateside as well.

Since no one answered my emails, I ended up getting a 2005 Stinky for cheap to tie me over for now.

i be lurkin
    is it here yet is it is it is it...

because i like it too

edit: srry read the posts and you wont get it until november nevermind
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

Meta and two veg
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    So with a 100mm fork would the Steely geometry be pushed back into the traditional Kona hard tail territory. Like 68-69 degree head angle? I just like the sound of that 24 inch top tube on the 18 frame.
    100 mm fork would give a head angle of 68.5

Quote Originally Posted by enio
    Im wondering how would bike handle with 100mm fork?
    The bike will handle great with a 100 mm fork, not too slack and not too steep at 68.5.

The bike comes with a travel adjustable fork, which is great, as I can wind the travel down for pump track and dirt jumps (and commuting), then adjust it back up for the big stuff.

mtbr member
    Was thinking of trying to get one of these or possibly just the frame. I'm also thinking/dreaming of a Transition TransAM. Frame pricing is pretty much dead even.

I have to admit I like the TA's more dropped TT with the extended ST. That's one thing with the Steely and On-One (and Ragley, Sanderson, etc. etc.), I've been riding an 18" frame for eons and now all these new school HT's I fit 16"ers. I'm planning on using whatever I end up with as my do-it-all bike, so being able to have the seat high enough for long pedaling is a must... the same as my 98 Explosif has done. Just feel guilty beating it up nowadays since it has been my fave bike for so long.

Meta and two veg
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DSFA
    …I've been riding an 18" frame for eons and now all these new school HT's I fit 16"ers… I'm planning on using whatever I end up with as my do-it-all bike, so being able to have the seat high enough for long pedaling is a must...
    Me too, this bike will be used for commuting, all mountain, trail centres, dirt jump and pump track.
    I'm 5' 6", and I've gone against the sizing guides (which are a generalisation, and recommended a 16 inch), and ordered a 14 inch. I looked long and hard at the geometry and measurements of the Steely, and the 14" is the closest to what I've ridden before for all round use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DSFA
    I'm planning on using whatever I end up with as my do-it-all bike, so being able to have the seat high enough for long pedaling is a must... the same as my 98 Explosif has done. Just feel guilty beating it up nowadays since it has been my fave bike for so long.
    98 Explosif frame weighs 4.5lbs,Transition TransAM frame weighs 6.1lbs. I'm just interested to know how come you need a frame that weighs so much for the kind of riding you do, if you've never broken your Explosif?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyinhove
    98 Explosif frame weighs 4.5lbs,Transition TransAM frame weighs 6.1lbs. I'm just interested to know how come you need a frame that weighs so much for the kind of riding you do, if you've never broken your Explosif?
    A couple of reasons.
    Looking for a steel HT that runs 120mm or possibly longer fork (just have a Fox 831 that's 120mm right now) and most of those are in the 5lb ($$$$) to 6lb (less$$$) range. The Explosif has a 80mm (more like 60mm) fork on it.

The other reason is because I am now about 60lbs heavier than I used to be (smashed ankle+depression+3yr recovery=fat guy on a bike).

I would really like another 853 Reynolds frame that is beefed up for the longer fork but don't have the funds for ones I have found (Cotic Soul, although the Cotic BFe is a consideration).

The Steely seems to fit like Ragley and On-One, where I would fit a 16" which is just strange after so many years of riding 18"s.
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've had mine for about a week and a half now. I have to say I'm pleased. I live in Milwaukee WI and bought the bike in anticipation of Rays opening up. I didn't want a straight out dirt jumper but wanted something that I could do most things with. Steely seemed to fit the criteria.

Pros:
    Frame - Geometry is good, I am 6'0" and got the 18". Chainstays are short enough to manual. Has a wide sweet spot for wheelies. BB height hasn't been an issue.
    Shifting - Deore triggers are a great workhorse. Yeah they're not lighning fast but what do you expect? The dual release is nice.
    Brakeset - Juicy 3's. Yeah they're not hyper adjustable like my XT's and I really dislike the lever shape (all avids, chevys and fords kinda thing) but they have good power. Modulation could be better but WTF. I payed a little over the grand for the thing.
    Fork - U Turn is super nice for switching from a dirt jumper-ish geometry to something more free ride. If you are heavy you may need to open up the fork and play with the oil levels or put in stiffer coils.

Cons:

Heavy - Yeah we all knew it would be. I didn't buy this to be in the same weight category as my SS racer.
    Crank - This crank sucks. Period. Its heavy. The rings aren't nice. I put an XT on it soon after buying along with an E-13 SRS roller. Dropped some weight and simplified the drivetrain considerably

Overall:

I'd say this bike is worth the $1049 price tag. Its not crazy light, nor should it be. The wheelset leaves something to be desired, but it looks pretty cool and seems really sturdy. It would have been nice to see a 15mm or 20mm thru axle on the front end but I'm a light rider and I don't forsee this as an issue. If you want to get a bike that can do a little bit of everything it could fit the bill. I have long legs and can get the seat "close" to my preferred XC height without having it skyed way above the cockpit. The bars are nice and wide. It rides well on singletrack w/ the fork around 120mm. If you run it at 130 its somewhat sluggish. I definitely will be keeping the bike and will re post an evaluation after having it for a couple of months. Overall I very much enjoy it and would recommend it to someone with a similar motive.

Ian

mtbr member
    ^ Post some pics, asap, please.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast