mtbr member

Kona Steely frame info ... how does it compare to 456, Ragley pigs, Cotic?

I've finally admitted to myself that my CinderCone is a bit too stiff for my liking ... geo is spot on of me ... just too stiff. The Steely looks to fill the bill pretty good ... geo based around a 67* HTA @ 130mm

Can someone comment on the frame, as all the infomation is on the whole bike & it's bits ... but no real reviews on how it rides. Is it stiff steel or more flexi? Beefy or whatever?
    Is it more like the stiff steel of the 456's or more forgiving like the Cotic Soul ... or perhaps more like a Piglet. Is it a bit beefy like a Blue Pig or Cotic BFe?

... How does it compare to any of them??

... heck, any info will be helpful ... and better than what's already out there.
    '12 Transition Bandit29
    '12 Transition TransAM 29
    '13 On-One Inbred 29'er LTD ED Single Speed

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Im new here and I have not ridden the steely, so what I have to say may not be correct but from what I have heard about that frame is that it is basically the 26" version of the honzo. If that were to be correct then I would think that any reviews you would find on the honzo's flex and feel would be comparable. I could be totally wrong but I figured I would at least try and help.

mtbr member
    It will be hard finding a Steely as it's discontinued, but I'd say it's in the same league as all the mentioned bikes so far, 456, BFE, Blue Pig, nothing special about its tubing used. The Soul has better tubing, giving a softer ride, but I wouldn't consider that to be a burly AM frame.

The Blue Pig is also discontinued for 2013 so good luck getting a replacement if needed.

Personally I would look into the 456 EVO or new Cotic BFE.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    It will be hard finding a Steely as it's discontinued, but I'd say it's in the same league as all the mentioned bikes so far, 456, BFE, Blue Pig, nothing special about its tubing used. The Soul has better tubing, giving a softer ride, but I wouldn't consider that to be a burly AM frame.

The Blue Pig is also discontinued for 2013 so good luck getting a replacement if needed.

Personally I would look into the 456 EVO or new Cotic BFE.

Thanks for the info ... I'm most likely going to go the "used" route ... so discontinued isn't an issue ... just finding one. Which I'm willing to do. They do pop up every now and again. On another note ... Im looking to swap parts from my CinderCone ... so 130mm travel is what I'll be building it around.

As far as the 456 EVO ... I'm worried it's a bit too stiff for what I'm looking for. That's a bit of a sticking point. It's stiffness is mention over and over by reviews ... to the point that it's the downside to the frame (along with weight). I've even read that it's close to an alum feel when it comes to stiffness. I'm really looking for something to lessen the rear wheel chatter.

Quite frankly, I'm not really in need of a burly AM frame ... it's primarily geometry with a good bit of steel "zing" that I'm after. The Steely has the geo that I'm after ... just wondering about the overall feel. Again, a used frame is fine by me.

When it comes to Cotic, the Soul has really caught my attention, but the price and limited availiblity here in the US (especially used) is making me look elsewhere. Although the BFe's geo might fit the bill ... it seems that the BFe is better equipt with 140-150mm travel to get to it's sweet-spot. That's all speculation though.
    '12 Transition Bandit29

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ubado - I've been on my Steely for almost a year now and love it. I have a full review here...

Steely 2012 - Post your builds here

Good luck finding one, as Eurospek mentioned it is discontinued, but I've heard from a Kona rep that they thought of making another run on it, but are focusing on the Eplosif 650b for now instead.

As for how it feel compared to the Honzo, it feels like a 26" Honzo, but really the Honzo is a 29" Steely

I wrote a comparison/review of the Honzo here:
    Look for - Honzo vs Steely
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

mtbr member
    @ howard619 ... thanks for the input ... yeah, it was your Steely thread that got me really thinking about them a while back. I was just looking for some additional insight.

From what I gathered from your thread the Steely frame is a bit heavier than the others (456 EVO, Ragley Blue Pig/X, Cotic BFe) ... but that it does have some good steel dampening while remaining stiff ... however not as much dampening as a Cotic BFe ... but most likely, stiffer. So in my mind the Steely is somewhere between The Blue Pig (not including X) and the 456EVO (just because 456 frames are known and built to be rather stiff). BUT even with figuring that all out ... its just a guess. Honestly if its a lot closer to the Pig than the EVO ... it'll fit the bill. I would happily give up the amont of dampening in the Cotic's for the spot-on geometry of the Steely ... I just have no interest in the stiffness of the EVO's.

I'm looking for a used Steely frame anyway (preferably a 2011 since it's got a bit longer chain stay), so a factory replacement isn't an issue.

Yeah, I am finding them a bit difficult to find, at least in my size (16"). I've come across a few (18") and a (14") this past year ... however not one (16").
    '12 Transition Bandit29

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sounds good and I think you have a good assessment on the frames. I haven't ridden a Bfe or seen one for that matter, but I did a thorough check of geo and think it's very close to the Steely. If I were buying a replacement for the Steely today, the Bfe would be top of my list. As I see it, the differences at the same travel are; Bfe will be .25" higher in the BB, and .5 degree steeper HA. Also the HT is shorter.

BTW, if you see a 2012 Steely in Medium (18") or large (20") let me know. My brother has a Honzo, and secretly wishes he had a Steely

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    A couple more things...the 2011 Steely doesn't have a 44mm headtube like the 2012 does. So it also depends on the fork you plan on using.

The Bfe is available both ways (classic or updated)

I just got a Xfusion Velvet and find it works better than my Fox RLC, which I had to send in for a possible blown Fit cartridge. You can pick them up for really cheap ~$350, so that could help you as you consider which frame to get.

mtbr member
    ... I'm planning on using my Recon 351 U-turn's (firm spring loaded).
    Basically the build will be a frame swap with my 08' Cinder Cone.

Thanks for the heads-up on the 2011 vs. 2012 headtubes ... it's nice to know the 2012 give one a bit more fork options ... which makes finding deals down the road a bit easier. Another plus for the 2012.

... with the limited supply of used Steely frames on the market ... right about now I'll be happy with either.
    '12 Transition Bandit29

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    iirc isn't the steely made from 'normal' 4130, if so I think it would very much ride like the 456 EVO in terms of stiffness/feel. It's design brief looks very much along the lines of the EVO or the BFE so I would expect that type of ride rather than lively, springy Soul.

I have a Blink made from the same material (it was a UK specific version from 2010 - I am going to post a picture in another thread btw) and the only downside is that it is heavy which negates much of the benefits of going for steel. That said, much of that is due to spec - in particular tyres and fork.

Although the Steely I tried (2011 model) was heavier than my Blink despite being 1 size smaller. (18 v 19)

mtbr member
    I've been under the impression that the "butted chromoly" listed by Kona is just 4130. But even with that ... its a Kona HT frame ... something that they do best IMO. So I was really hoping that they designed it to be a lot more compliant/supple than how the 456's are designed (to be rather stiff/much less compliant). Taking the weight into account it's hard to see that it would be. Darn.
    '12 Transition Bandit29

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Kona Steely frame info ... how does it compare to 456, Ragley pigs, Cotic?-steely.jpg
    Here is my Steely Build. I went into a LBS to look at bikes and he had a slightly used frame that he recommended and this is what we came up with. Completely rigid, but i am a big guy so it really works for me!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Nice find! That looks like an 18"?...I have an 18" and a 20". I've experimented a lot with this frame and the Honzo, and keep coming back to it. I love it! Currently running 26b and find it to be the best of all wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It is an 18 inch frame...great bike thus far, takes a beating and keeps on going