Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Kona Satori, anyone...?

I searched the forum but the query didn't show any mention of this. Does anybody have one of these already? Would like to hear about how you find the performance versus your previous 29 FS or HT bike.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've been riding mine HARD since last November and it is incredible. Whereas 29ers I've ridden in the past from Cannondale and Specialized were neat, they all had the same flaw that kept me from owning one. Turn hard into a flat corner, no matter how well you've weighted the tires, the front wheel would refuse to bite as the head angle was just too steep for a big wheel. On the Satori, that big wheel "understeer" is gone. I can whip this thing through berms and along tight, twisty forest floors and it feels like a much shorter bike than it is. It climbs like a goat, though the steepest of steeps do induce a bit of front wheel wander. That's not too surprising, and it really only occurs on slopes steep enough to make the 26/36 granny a necessity. On the descent, it goes from confidence inspiring to awe inspiring as it gobbles everything I throw at it. For certain, the bike's abilities are well beyond my own. I'm looking forward to some dry conditions to test in here in the rain forest, but slick roots, slimy mud and ice have thus far proven no impediment to excellence.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverSaneEver View Post
    I've been riding mine HARD since last November and it is incredible. Whereas 29ers I've ridden in the past from Cannondale and Specialized were neat, they all had the same flaw that kept me from owning one. Turn hard into a flat corner, no matter how well you've weighted the tires, the front wheel would refuse to bite as the head angle was just too steep for a big wheel. On the Satori, that big wheel "understeer" is gone. I can whip this thing through berms and along tight, twisty forest floors and it feels like a much shorter bike than it is. It climbs like a goat, though the steepest of steeps do induce a bit of front wheel wander. That's not too surprising, and it really only occurs on slopes steep enough to make the 26/36 granny a necessity. On the descent, it goes from confidence inspiring to awe inspiring as it gobbles everything I throw at it. For certain, the bike's abilities are well beyond my own. I'm looking forward to some dry conditions to test in here in the rain forest, but slick roots, slimy mud and ice have thus far proven no impediment to excellence.
    thanks for the write up. pm sent. look forward to hearing from you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    @NeverSaneEver
    Sounds like you're having loads of fun with it. Care to share a photo of your bike and your rides?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Had my second ride on the Satori and this time on the trails of North Vancouver. Last test was on dry buff Rockies single track. This bike shines on the rough stuff. The big wheels smooth out the technical a bit and I found my wheel dropping into death holes way less...(read I would have crashed a few times with a small wheel as I love to hesitate and roll things slow.)
    This is my first experience with the long travel 29 as most other bikes I have ridden were of the more xc / endurance type.
    NeverSaneEver sums it up nicely...The bike is very easy to maneuver and much quicker cornering than I expected.
    I think this is a great bike for aggressive riders who tend to roll things instead of lauch in to it. I still think the 26 inch wheel would suit the more agressive air focused rider who tends to search out big drops and gap style riding.
    For me the Satori is all the bike I need for my agressive exploits. I'm getting one and changing out the wheelset for something a little lighter to better reflect my local trails.

tg
    mtbr member
    Mine was shipped a few days ago.....After riding a demo Satori it didnt take long to figure out that Kona nailed it. A true trail bike in a 29er . What took so long for the big wheel powers that be to make a bike like this?

Cassoulet forever !
    Show us your blinged out builds !
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    I got to do a quick ride around the block on a demo last week, the handling is definitely tighter and more like a 26er, it just disappeared beneath me. In typical kona fashion the stem felt a bit long though, in the past I wound up swapping out both stems on my two kona 29ers. The fork and shock were pumped up pretty hard so I didn't get a good feel for the suspension. I'm told the satori's may get hard to find once everybody gets to test ride 'em, if you want one grab it while you can.

tg
    mtbr member

Satori stoke!!

3 good long rides on mine now and I am not missing my 5-spot one bit. ( never thought I would say that ) Super stiff and plush at the same time,fit and feel is close to a 26er but with gobs of traction.Mine is stock w/the RS Rev and Easton Vice wheelset. Both are solid and make this a true all mountain trail beast. I dont know much about these wheels but i suspect they are a little on the heavy side. I think my only upgrade will be some Crossmax 29ers. So far I am super stoked about this bike.I have to give it two thumbs up! Definately not a fly weight race bike so dont have those kind of expectations for it. What it is is a super FUN trail bike that hase changed my stance on what a 29er can ride and fit like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Satori, anyone...?-downsized_0526121027b.jpg  

Kona Satori, anyone...?-downsized_0527121108.jpg  

Kona Satori, anyone...?-downsized_0527121111.jpg  

Kona Satori, anyone...?-downsized_0527121135.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Very nice, where do you live? Also, I would suggest getting some of the carbon wheels from light-bicycle instead of Crossmax 29ers. They will be roughly the same price but significantly lighter and stiffer. Please add any suspension tuning info to the thread I made.

tg
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    Very nice, where do you live? Also, I would suggest getting some of the carbon wheels from light-bicycle instead of Crossmax 29ers. They will be roughly the same price but significantly lighter and stiffer. Please add any suspension tuning info to the thread I made.
    110 top and bottom on the Rev./ 150psi out back...Still trying to get it "just right" I am 190 lbs w/gear. Home sweet home is Eagle Colo. 20 miles west of Vail....99%of my ride are out the back door.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Satori, anyone...?-downsized_0513121813.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've googled far and wide for info, it doesn't exist on the easton site, I can't find anything on those wheels. Easton hubs appear to have a spotty history, it's the only part of the stock build I'm not too confident with.

tg
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    I've googled far and wide for info, it doesn't exist on the easton site, I can't find anything on those wheels. Easton hubs appear to have a spotty history, it's the only part of the stock build I'm not too confident with.
    I am getting some wheel flex on mine and am waiting for a set of Crossmax to do a 20mm / 142x12..other than some flex the Vice seems to be a pretty nice mid level wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I agree. I am going with Chinese carbon wheels but the Easton's have been fine.

mtbr member
    I picked up a demo yesterday, it's the shop owner's bike with essentially stock fork and rp2 but custom build everything else. It was caked in dry mud from the last guy, I took it home, washed it good and cleaned it up. Other than the really wide downhill bars and no dropper post, the build is OK. It's got a 50mm stem which feels pretty good to me, konas always spec longer stems than I like anyway. I'm not a fan of really wide bars for anything but downhill, the trails here mysteriously always seem to go through the tightest of trees sometimes. A shakedown spin was made yesterday getting pressures dialed and such, my initial impression is it feels well balanced, it corners more like a 26er than a 29er, and the frame is as stiff as my freeride frame. The trail was smooth with no tight stuff, but the handling seemed to be optimum and completely natural. Some kids made a small jump coming up out of a gully off the side of the local trail, so without hesitation I hit it as hard as my p2 and holy crap, it's a natural and balanced jumper. I've sessioned this a few times on my p2 and this bike feels waaayy better, no squirrely feeling, just smooth takeoff, through the air and comfortable controlled landing. Granted it's a relatively small jump and get about 2 feet of air over a couple tires to flat, but I'm not a natural jumper and not very comfortable at it, I wasn't wearing a helmet or gloves, I just spun off the trail and hit it full speed. I never do that without methodically working up my speed and balls first. This bike is gonna be good. Tomorrow it's going on a long 20+ mile trail ride, plenty of climbing and fast bermed corners, tight trees, steep rock rolls. I hit all the hard lines except the bigger drops (but that might change if I get this bike), so now I'm gonna get a good feel for this bike. I think it's gonna rock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you are comfortable the bike will take 3-4 drops even at slow speed easily.

What's your fork setup like?

mtbr member
    It's not my bike but a demo, on its third ride the recon is still breaking in so 90ish +/- at my weight brings in around 20% static sag. When I get real trail time on it tomorrow that may change, but after owning two rebas it's not far off. I've found in the past I always run lower than recommended pressures on RS forks, I think that is common from what many have said. I was told this was an '13 model, gone is the floodgate knob and in its place a fine tune silver clicker on top with 13 clicks between minimum and max. The big blue main comp knob now has three main modes with detents: full open, trail mode with increased comp, and nearly full lockout. I would have liked a little more compression in open mode and a lot less in trail mode, I had to do a lot of clicking the small knob to fine tune adjust when switching modes, which seems silly because it defeats the purpose of the simpler 3 clicks on the fly main knob. With real trail time I'll get to play with it tomorrow.
    Last edited by masterofnone; 06-02-2012 at 05:33 PM.

mtbr member
    So I got real trail time in today, it was really muddy from the rains yesterday and on and off all week. I played with the compression somewhat, but being I only have it for the weekend I spent my time riding than fiddling. To quote the cliche, this bike climbs like a cross country bike and bombs the downhills. Despite the gearing being much much taller than my hei hei 29er and a couple pounds heavier, it climbed just as well. I felt no need for an adjustable travel fork, I just placed my butt on the nose of the saddle and it scampered up the climbs. The steepest rolldowns that feel sketchy on my 29ers with 71 HA are nothing on this bike. In fact the biggest one in this place I normally pick the shortest line down and drag the brakes, I bombed down the longest line at speed without hesitation, like rolling the sidewalk. Simply confidence inspiring. At the end of the ride after 21 miles I was feeling knackered and sometimes the suspension felt a little harsh, but any bike feels harsh after a hard day in the saddle. The damping is a little firm at low speeds, but that means it didn't wallow and feels more efficient, closer to some of the short dual link bikes out there. I never used the propedal in the woods, it pedals very efficient in the saddle. The faster you go the bike smoothes out and comes alive, it wants to go fast. I think some of the harshness may have had to do with the fact that my bikes are all tubeless and I run mid to low 20s, this bike had tubes pumped up to 35 or 40. So, to sum up I'm impressed. I'm gonna put my order in and order a dropper post for it, it was worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I am considering buying a Satori frame and building it up. One of the primary consideration for taking this route is to get some lower gearing. I had read that the short chainstays create issues mounting front derailluers and providing clearance for cranks. Does anyone have experience with a triple crank on a Satori frame? Any other gotcha's that I should consider?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Pidassle View Post
    I am considering buying a Satori frame and building it up. One of the primary consideration for taking this route is to get some lower gearing. I had read that the short chainstays create issues mounting front derailluers and providing clearance for cranks. Does anyone have experience with a triple crank on a Satori frame? Any other gotcha's that I should consider?
    My third ride on the satori involved some steep climbing. The lowest gear combo of 26/36 is plenty even for the steepest of technical climbing. My advice would be try the 2x10 and forget the triple, but that's my personal preference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    In reality I will run 2 chainrings with a bash guard regardless of the crank. I really am looking for a 22 tooth granny to create a 22/36 low combo. My first experiment with a 29er was a hei hei with a 22/34, I noticed the difference compared to my 26er in certain situations. Old, fat and out of shape is no way to ride a mountain bike....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I ended up buying the whole bike as offered. You are right that the gearing is low enough. The LBS explained how the 36 tooth cassette more than offset the chain ring difference. The bottom line is that after two rides, I am ready to declare that this is the best bike that I have ever owned. It rips up rocky, rooty New England trails so well it feels like I am cheating.

mtbr member
    I installed a new gravity dropper post with remote the other day, took it out for some real techy riding at ninham mountain yesterday, I'm pleased to say I ride all the stuff I used to on my 6.5in travel 26er with this bike, but in a 5 lb lighter package that climbs like a cross country bike. I did hold off on the bigger drops until I get some more saddle time, partly because I haven't ridden there in a while and need to grow my cahones again, but I think my confidence will come back quick with this bike. This afternoon I converted the wheels and ardents with stan's 29er AM rimstrips, with a compressor it was one of the easiest yet. Yeeeaaah, out go the tubes into the camelback! The chain dropped once the weekend before, but nothing since, so I'm gonna hold off on a chainguide for now. The suspension feels almost broken in and I upped the air pressures a little, I'm looking forward to hitting everything a little harder this weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'd reccomend the Kona Satori too. I've had mine for 6 weeks now and still can't believe how much fun this bike is. I've made a few upgrades on it to make it more of what I like- R1 brakes, Reverb, seat, Spank 777 falt bars, Syncros 45mm FRIC stem, MRP 2x chainguide, X9 22/36 cranks, Hadley ceramic bearing hubs laced to arch EXs, Last thing I'm thinking of is a 34mm fork. Feels a whole lot like a 26" bike, DHs like a beast, tons of cornering traction and still likes to get in the air. As pictured it weighs a HAIR under 30 lbs, not too bad! My S-works Enduro is going up for sale now, can't hardly believe I'm choosing a 29er over my endo, says a LOT about this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Satori, anyone...?-073.jpg  

Kona Satori, anyone...?-072.jpg  

Kona Satori, anyone...?-071.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I put in a nice 25 mile with just shy of 5k climbing ride yesterday on my stock Satori and had a great time. I'm finally getting the suspension like I want it and it is feeling overall pretty good. I'll be converting the bike to tubeless tonight so I can start to take real advantage of the Ardents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast