Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289

    Kona Process Bike Mag Bluprint

    Interesting article and interview regarding the new Kona's. Makes me want the one I have on order even more...

    Kona's 2014 Process: a Bike Magazine Blueprint Exclusive
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,883
    Awesome!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    352
    Thanks for posting. Yeah, I want.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cal RX View Post
    Thanks for posting. Yeah, I want.
    Me too. Got one on order. Should be here by the end of the month. Stoked.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  5. #5
    tardcore
    Reputation: pjlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    821
    I should have a 134 in a few weeks...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Whip Chop!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    273
    I'm extremely interested in this bike as well. Nearly sold on it other than I need a test ride. I love how simple, durable and well thought out it is. The tipping point for me will be how well it pedals. I'm coming from a GT I-Drive which pedals/sprints very well and I imagine the new reworked suspension (AOS) is just as good if not better but GT's price points are putting me off. Would love some preliminary reviews from the folks who ordered them...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: formu1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Chop! View Post
    I'm extremely interested in this bike as well. Nearly sold on it other than I need a test ride. I love how simple, durable and well thought out it is. The tipping point for me will be how well it pedals. I'm coming from a GT I-Drive which pedals/sprints very well and I imagine the new reworked suspension (AOS) is just as good if not better but GT's price points are putting me off. Would love some preliminary reviews from the folks who ordered them...
    Some people on another thread are saying it won't pedal too well. But that is all based on the kinematics, and not any first hand experience. I know I am definitely looking forward to this bike

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by formu1fan View Post
    Some people on another thread are saying it won't pedal too well. But that is all based on the kinematics, and not any first hand experience. I know I am definitely looking forward to this bike
    I'm curious to see what they're saying. I'm coming from a Heckler...a lot of people trash talked the snot out of them, but it was the funnest bike I've owned so far. I hope the Kona will be as fun......
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: formu1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    I'm curious to see what they're saying. I'm coming from a Heckler...a lot of people trash talked the snot out of them, but it was the funnest bike I've owned so far. I hope the Kona will be as fun......
    Bikemag reviews the 2014 Processes

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by formu1fan View Post
    I took the chance just by the geo of the bike. I'll believe somebodies real-world experience over what somebody else found on the web. Having said that, I'll agree that it will not be the most efficient pedaling bike out there...but if I were going for efficiency, I wouldn't be buying a FS bike.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    973
    Anyone heard anything about when these are supposed to be shipping? I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival!

  12. #12
    tardcore
    Reputation: pjlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    821
    I spoke to them yesterday, the frames are landing today. They need to build disassemble and ship, so two weeks til they're in stores.

  13. #13
    tardcore
    Reputation: pjlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    821
    I called because I'm torn between the 134 and 153 so I was telebiking... poor guy that helped me was super nice and patient. I'm staying 134 and can always over fork it later. I did want to get the ETA as well since I have a deposit.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gerth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    362

    Kona Process Bike Mag Bluprint

    "The essential point about the Process’s suspension is that it has a consistent, progressive leverage curve. Kona felt that, rather than designing the suspension and bike around having complex curves and varying axle paths, they wanted to keep it simple and allow the shock unit to do the work. Air shocks are progressive by nature, so by coupling an air shock with a straightforward leverage curve, it’s possible to allow the unit to do the damping and leave the rider with a very predictable ride quality"

    By letting the shock do all the work ,my concern is a heavy rider will suffer due to the fact that current designs of shocks don't allow for someone say 250 pounds.
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: formu1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerth View Post
    By letting the shock do all the work ,my concern is a heavy rider will suffer due to the fact that current designs of shocks don't allow for someone say 250 pounds.
    Hmm, I guess I'll have to do some test riding to determine if this is the bike for me now that you mention it. With all riding gear, I am just over that threshold.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gerth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    362

    Kona Process Bike Mag Bluprint

    Quote Originally Posted by formu1fan View Post
    Hmm, I guess I'll have to do some test riding to determine if this is the bike for me now that you mention it. With all riding gear, I am just over that threshold.
    To be honest I don't at the moment own a full suspension bike. But I've been doing A LOT of research. Being a heavy guy I want to make sure that the frame and design will allow me to actually benefit from using the bike. So far bikes with anti squat and the switch suspension of the Yeti seem promising. I would definitely test out the bikes you like before buying anything
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

  17. #17
    tardcore
    Reputation: pjlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    821
    I weigh 175 so I'm probably ok. I've been demo'ing some 27.5 full suspension bikes and haven't found nirvana yet. I'm going on blind faith the bike appears to be what I'm looking for. I won't be able to speak to how it responds to heavier riders but I will post up some impressions once I get it.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: formu1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerth View Post
    To be honest I don't at the moment own a full suspension bike. But I've been doing A LOT of research. Being a heavy guy I want to make sure that the frame and design will allow me to actually benefit from using the bike. So far bikes with anti squat and the switch suspension of the Yeti seem promising. I would definitely test out the bikes you like before buying anything
    I have one now, and the only problem I have (other than geo and too little travel) is small bump compliance. I have a buddy who just got a knolly with the CCBDair and he loves it (he's the same weight as I). My next bike will either be a process ('13 or '14) or a knolly warden. I think the main factor will be the air shock, and the CCDBair seems to work best, though it is quite spendy.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Anyone heard anything about when these are supposed to be shipping? I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival!
    Mine is supposed to be here in the next week or two...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: formu1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    153
    My local Kona Dealer has a 111 and 134 in stock for demos and testing, so I assume the shipment should be coming soon.

  21. #21
    tardcore
    Reputation: pjlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by formu1fan View Post
    My local Kona Dealer has a 111 and 134 in stock for demos and testing, so I assume the shipment should be coming soon.
    Any chance of you checking them out and letting us know?

  22. #22
    tardcore
    Reputation: pjlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    821
    If they're god awful I can still cancel

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: formu1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by pjlama View Post
    Any chance of you checking them out and letting us know?
    Well I guess I can take one for the team

    I've been there before and kicked the tires so to say. They look really sick, and hopefully ride just as good. I'll see when I can get a little more in depth. I've been more interested in the 2013 Processes since they're on clearance now....

  24. #24
    tardcore
    Reputation: pjlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    821
    The 2013 is a good bike, I've just drank the koolaid and need the 275 )

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    212
    Anybody seen any weights? Particularly interested in the the weight of the 134.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemezc View Post
    Anybody seen any weights? Particularly interested in the the weight of the 134.
    The only numbers I've seen mentioned about weight is in the pinkbike article about the prototype. They stated the 153 should be in the low 30 lb. range. I'm also interested in the 134 and 134dl. Here is a link to the article. First Look: Prototype 2014 Kona Process 153 - Pinkbike
    Last edited by RES82; 09-14-2013 at 06:49 PM.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2
    This article lists weight, but doesnt specify if it includes pedals or which size frame. 134 is listed at 32.32 lbs. and 134 dl is 30.54 lbs. http://bikemagic.com/gear/kona-proce...s-austria.html

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2
    Does anyone have insight as to sizing on the 2013 Kona Process. I'm 6'1.5" and seem to be in between the L and XL. I can get either online, but unfortunately can't demo either prior and would have to buy sight unseen. I know this isn't the best way to buy, so spare me those comments, but if anyone can offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dogbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    109
    get a large, you can put up to a 50mm stem on it before it gets too long.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by adamhorton1976 View Post
    Does anyone have insight as to sizing on the 2013 Kona Process. I'm 6'1.5" and seem to be in between the L and XL. I can get either online, but unfortunately can't demo either prior and would have to buy sight unseen. I know this isn't the best way to buy, so spare me those comments, but if anyone can offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it.
    I'm 6' 2.5" and I got a large and it seems to fit fine. I could probably ride either size but I think I like smaller bikes.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the replies. So at 6'2.5" on a Large, do you feel really bent over when your seat is at full extension? My main concern with going smaller is that I'll feel that I'm reaching too far downward to the bars while seated. Reach wise, I think the Large will fit just fine.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13
    I feel right at home on it. I figured if it was too short in length or stack I could put a longer stem and bars with more rise on it and be fine. I am used to having the seat a lot higher than the bars from my old bike, the seat on the Process isn't as high compared to the bars so it feels fine to me. With the dropper all the way down my seat it about even with the bars. The XL only gets you 15mm more seat tube, a 5mm higher stack and 25mm more reach over the large, so it isn't that much different. But like I said, I like my bikes on the smaller side so I went with the large. It feels right to me.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    147
    okay, the Kona site says the size XL has a 465 seat tube (18.3 inches, roughly).

    That's a pretty short seat tube for someone with legs. By my figuring, a 125mm dropper at the "min insertion" line will still be too low (my current bike has a 21" seat tube).

    Is that really 465 to the top? Can anyone measure an XL somewhere?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by uberstein View Post
    okay, the Kona site says the size XL has a 465 seat tube (18.3 inches, roughly).

    That's a pretty short seat tube for someone with legs. By my figuring, a 125mm dropper at the "min insertion" line will still be too low (my current bike has a 21" seat tube).

    Is that really 465 to the top? Can anyone measure an XL somewhere?
    Here's a couple of things to take into consideration: The Process has a fairly steep seat tube angle. In theory a steeper seat tube angle will result in a shorter seat tube (granted the process ST angle is steeper than your current bike).

    Minimum insertion on the seat post is 120mm. That leaves 265mm (about 10.5") of usable seat post height. A 170mm crank arm is about 6.7 inches. There is a bottom bracket drop of 12mm or half an inch. Assuming 18.3" ST, 10.5" post, 6.7" crank arm and .5" BB drop there is 36" between the center of the pedal to the top of the seat post. Add about 2" for the seat, and another .5" for a chamois and we're up to 38.5" between the top of the seat and the center of the pedal. How friggin' tall are you?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Here's a couple of things to take into consideration: The Process has a fairly steep seat tube angle. In theory a steeper seat tube angle will result in a shorter seat tube (granted the process ST angle is steeper than your current bike).

    Minimum insertion on the seat post is 120mm. That leaves 265mm (about 10.5") of usable seat post height. A 170mm crank arm is about 6.7 inches. There is a bottom bracket drop of 12mm or half an inch. Assuming 18.3" ST, 10.5" post, 6.7" crank arm and .5" BB drop there is 36" between the center of the pedal to the top of the seat post. Add about 2" for the seat, and another .5" for a chamois and we're up to 38.5" between the top of the seat and the center of the pedal. How friggin' tall are you?
    Well, i'm climbing with center of BB to saddle rail at 78.5cm (about 31"). Center of pedal axle to top of saddle is 39.5"

    So i'm tall enough that the super short seat tube is a concern. AND i'll tell you that running a tall post at the minimum insertion point makes a bike ride pretty crappy (while seated) - they're way too flexy at that point.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13
    They were able to make the seat tube short because of the dropper post. Without it the seat tube would be longer. Watch the video, they say that size shouldn't be based on the seat tube and dropper posts allowed them to do it.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by uberstein View Post
    Well, i'm climbing with center of BB to saddle rail at 78.5cm (about 31"). Center of pedal axle to top of saddle is 39.5"

    So i'm tall enough that the super short seat tube is a concern. AND i'll tell you that running a tall post at the minimum insertion point makes a bike ride pretty crappy (while seated) - they're way too flexy at that point.
    What is the seat tube angle on your current bike?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Similar Threads

  1. 2014 Kona Process
    By r1Gel in forum 27.5
    Replies: 188
    Last Post: 03-06-2014, 11:21 AM
  2. Kona Process, Anyone have it yet?
    By Buggyr333 in forum Kona
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-29-2013, 02:29 PM
  3. All Mountain Kona Process DL
    By dirtrider410 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2013, 10:05 AM
  4. Kona Process
    By DirtDogVT in forum Kona
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 08:39 PM
  5. Kona process
    By EmbraceTheHate in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-15-2013, 06:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •