Thread: Kona Process

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Kona Process

Whats up with the Rock Shox Front and Rear suspension. Last time I tried a full suspension with rock shox all around I wasn't impressed with the ride (probably 3 to 4 years ago). Have they really improved recently?

Kona announces big changes in 2014 lineup | Dirt Rag Magazine

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yes

I do what I want
    More info, with geo # Kona Pushes for 2014 - NSMB.com Mountain Bike Reviews, News, Photo and Video

interesting note on the XL process the ST is only 18.3" and TT is 25.8" - going to be a lot of seatpost showing for us big boys (I'm 6'4"). Still stoked and ca't wait.

My favorite part of the whole post about Kona's design philisophy, brilliant, other mfgs could stand to learn something -

Quote Originally Posted by Kona
    Most Trail and Enduro bikes are still subject to the traditional fit and sizing that mountain bikes took from road bike sizing. The ideas that seat tube length defines the size, and stem lengths increase with the frame size no longer makes sense, now that Enduro riders pedal their rigs like XC bikes and descend them like DH bikes. We re-thought the equation with a holistic approach; stem-length, reach, top tube length, chainstay length, front center, and wheelbase, all relevant to the fit, form and function of the modern mountain bike. The results are bikes that shred up and down, across an entire universe of rider preference and trail type.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I really hope that short seat tube on the XL 29er or the 27.5 for that matter is a typo as my math says I will be right at the max length of a 410mm post and I've had issues with bikes with 20" seat tubes for my leg length. Not a big fan of Kona going to shorter head tubes with this design either as 4.7" would result in a pretty uncomfortable position or a ton of spacers for taller guys but maybe that is just my experience/preference.

As long as the seat tube number is a typo very interested in trying one out.

mtbr member
    Rock Shox mid and upper end stuff is as good or better than any other brand. I'm a big fan of RS forks and shocks. They offer serviceability and tuneability par excellence.

upgrade until you suck
    Nov 2005
    Something that is really interesting to me is that the 153 is specced with the SRAM drivetrain, but with Shimano brakes. Really says a lot about how well the Avid brakes have been received lately, and that's the tipping point that will get me to buy one - it's exactly what I run on my XC bike. Super solid build, glad I won't have to swap anything out once it arrives.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by APSBiker View Post
    Something that is really interesting to me is that the 153 is specced with the SRAM drivetrain, but with Shimano brakes. Really says a lot about how well the Avid brakes have been received lately, and that's the tipping point that will get me to buy one - it's exactly what I run on my XC bike. Super solid build, glad I won't have to swap anything out once it arrives.
    Bingo. I had the same concerns about the 2013 model. I am not a fan of Avids at all, even those new trail brakes. I didn't want to drop 5 grand on a bike then upgrade the brakes. Looks like my calls have been answered.

mtbr member
    On the Process 111, how is the chain guide attached? ISCG tabs?

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    On the Process 111, how is the chain guide attached? ISCG tabs?
    Yes, the entire Process line has ISCG tabs.

Like any forward thinking intelligent bike mfg (eg:Kona, Specialized,etc; Not Pivot) ISCG tabs are part of the design. Why? Because Kona believes riders should have options, instead of believing they know it all about bike design and excluding them like other mfgs (eg.Pivot).
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    I just plunked down the dough for the new 134. Should be here sometime in September...can't wait!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DownForFun View Post
    I really hope that short seat tube on the XL 29er or the 27.5 for that matter is a typo as my math says I will be right at the max length of a 410mm post and I've had issues with bikes with 20" seat tubes for my leg length. Not a big fan of Kona going to shorter head tubes with this design either as 4.7" would result in a pretty uncomfortable position or a ton of spacers for taller guys but maybe that is just my experience/preference.

As long as the seat tube number is a typo very interested in trying one out.
    i think the seat tubes are short as the bike is designed to be used with a dropper post

mtbr member
    I wonder if the difference between the 134 and 153 is just shock size/stroke, or if the linkage differs as well. Anyone know the shock sizes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Man I wish they had the raw aluminum. the green 153 is not pleasing.