Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Kona Process 153 2015

Wohoo, was super lucky to get hold of Process 153DL 2015. Frame is just the same as 2014, but there is changes with specs. Biggest being that drivetrain is 1x11, also handlebar has 0.5 inch more rise. Other Hubs are better in my opinion and in general looks better with black spokes and cool colours on the saddle. Surprise is that the green color on the bike exactly the same as in 2014 model.

Did the last enduro race of the season with it last weekend. It's really good. I like the handlebar better, but the x01 drivetrain was the biggest surprise. It's clearly more quiet and of course was really nice when we had to pedal up to some of the stages.

Photo from the race
    Kona Process 153 2015-tahkophoto2014.jpg

Process 153DL 2015, wheels are not the ones that come with the bike, I use this lighter set for racing and trail riding.
    Kona Process 153 2015-process2015.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Kona Process 153

Santa dropped by yesterday

Pretty stock so long, but changed the brakes to Shimano Zee, saddle to Ergon SM3 and removed excess chainrings in the front and replaced them with a Raceface 32t WideNarrow chainring.

Kona Process 153 2015-img_3162.jpg

Kona Process 153 2015-img_3164.jpg

Kona Process 153 2015-img_3165.jpg

Kona Process 153 2015-img_3166.jpg

Kona Process 153 2015-img_3167.jpg

Kona Process 153 2015-img_3168.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    ^^^ looks sweet but even with the narrow wide I'd recommend and top guide, I got a direct mount mrp 1x.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

153 test ride, first impressions

Rented the Kona 153 (non-DL) yesterday. I've been riding a 2007 Specialized Enduro Elite for the last 7-8 years. So, that's basically what I am comparing the 153 to. So.. the drivetrain (shifting) is amazing, very solid shifting and gear changes! Also, the bike is VERY quiet (no chain noise, squeaking, or cross gear noise). The only sound that I hear from it (while riding on a flat road) is the sound of the freewheel bearings whirling. It's beautiful! The bike feels very solid, and while climbing it feels like I'm on a hard tail! There is NO pedal-bob. It doesn't seem to be the best climbing bike though, because of the weight of the bike (32.4ish pounds). I would definitely lighten the bike by going tubeless, and dropping the stock 2.3 tires for probably a 2.1. I'd only use the big tires for the local-mountain downhill stuff. The suspension is wonderful, both the front and rear have the ability to lock-out, which is great for climbing. All in all, a world of difference from my old trusty Specialized Enduro. I have the bike for a couple more days, so I'll add some more thoughts on it after that time, and after some more time in the saddle.Kona Process 153 2015-img_0097.jpgKona Process 153 2015-img_0099.jpg
    Last edited by rickygmoney; 12-24-2014 at 02:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbers View Post
    ^^^ looks sweet but even with the narrow wide I'd recommend and top guide, I got a direct mount mrp 1x.
    What for? Not a sarcastic question just so we're clear. I've had a NW ring for almost a year now without any guide or rollers and haven't dropped a chain once.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've also been riding the last season with just a wide narrow ring and without a chainguide. But I also had a rear derailleur with a clutch which tightens the chain. I've never dropped a chain yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yup had a nw and clutch mech on my hardtail and its sweet

But had a nightmare with my 153, so have a lot of of others, stock 2x setup it gets mentioned in all the reviews but even 1x, something about the suspension action seems to throw the chain (look back at earlier comments on this thread) and jam between the cassette and dropout, just to be clear thats is with a nw and a clutch and I've had the SRAM race support crews check over the drivetrain at races too and its still been a problem
    Fwiw the deore hubs keep coming loose at the cones, despite shimano techs setting them up
    I think its partly because the back end of the bike is so stiff that the rear components take a battering, my x7 had play in every bushing after a week in the Alps before finally exploding

I've found the longer toothed superstar n/w to be better than the race face one and the zee clutch miles better than the x7 it came with, even then I've had to put an upper guide on and its almost perfect,
    Its cost me time at a few races including the uk national series and the ews in Scotland

Not that I'm anywhere near that good but nearly all the ews rider on 1x setups, including xx1 use top guides too
    33 Enduro World Series Bike Checks - Pinkbike

Its a brilliant bike and I can't see me riding anything else but in the rough astuff I'd recommend a chain guide

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Its a brilliant bike and I can't see me riding anything else but in the rough astuff I'd recommend a chain guide
    Thanx for the tip. I'll keep that in mind. Do you know if this one from E thirteen fits directly on the front derailleur bracket? E Thirteen XCX+ Chain Guide - 32-42t E-Type-SRAM S3 | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah that'll fit

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanx!
    Name:  thumbs-up.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  105.3 KB

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Here's a first impressions video I put together for anyone interested. http://youtu.be/qE9z5Ivwn8o

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

My new Custom Process 153 DL!!

Kona Process 153 2015-image.jpg

My local bike shop (The Path in Tustin CA) put together an Orange Process 153 with the DL components! Check it! (Note the green wheels!).
    Last edited by rickygmoney; 01-03-2015 at 11:36 PM.

cit
    mtbr member

Kona Process 153 2015

From Italy. First ride. Amazing bike!!!

Inviato da mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

cit
    mtbr member

Kona Process 153 2015

Help, no one use a rear fender? As you see in the pic, the area between the wheel and seattube pulls up a lot of mud!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cit View Post
    Help, no one use a rear fender? As you see in the pic, the area between the wheel and seattube pulls up a lot of mud!
    Mountainbiking is a dirty business I use a fender in front to avoid getting mud in the face, but I don't worry too much about getting mud on my back. If it's muddy outside you get dirty either way.

cit
    mtbr member

Kona Process 153 2015

@Geir you' re right, but the problem it' s not me but the mud in BB area, you see the process haven' t much clearance. (sorry for my english)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cit View Post
    @Geir you' re right, but the problem it' s not me but the mud in BB area, you see the process haven' t much clearance. (sorry for my english)
    Ok. I haven't experienced any problems with that myself.. The only thing was the front derailleur getting clogged with mud. But now I ride 1x10 so problem solved

cit
    mtbr member

Kona Process 153 2015

@Geir nice solution
    I think the 1X10 or 1x11 will be an upgrade but not so early...
    Ah! This is what i mean

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Kona Process 153 2015-kona.jpgJust picked up a 2015 153 non DL last week. Only thing I've done so far is add the race face narrow wide 30t and ditch the FD and the front shifter. Tubeless is next, then I'll leave it like that. Hoping to get first big ride in a couple days. Beautiful bike and feels good riding around the neighborhood. I am almost 5'10" and i went with the medium.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Mine definitely collects mu in that bit up there^^^

i was going to look into ome sort of rear fender, but dont want that to clog up too

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kona.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	963321Just picked up a 2015 153 non DL last week. Only thing I've done so far is add the race face narrow wide 30t and ditch the FD and the front shifter. Tubeless is next, then I'll leave it like that. Hoping to get first big ride in a couple days. Beautiful bike and feels good riding around the neighborhood. I am almost 5'10" and i went with the medium.
    How is the chainline on your 153 with the RF 30t installed?

cit
    mtbr member

Kona Process 153 2015

Mine definitely collects mu in that bit up there^^^

i was going to look into ome sort of rear fender, but dont want that to clog up too
    Maybe something like this?

It' s native for front fork but looks working good

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 98srx6 View Post
    How is the chainline on your 153 with the RF 30t installed?
    Chainline seems to be fine. I did a 2 hour ride today and the first hour was slogging up a logging road. I was in the big rear cog on the cassette most of the way up and everything seemed fine. On the downhill it shifted perfectly.

On another note, this thing RIPS! It has to be a combination of 27.5, tubeless, and the suspension. I was going way faster than my old bike, which was a Yeti SB66. I loved that bike but this is a more forgiving plusher type setup it seems. It kills the downhill and does pretty decent up. The Yeti pedaled up slightly better in terms of feeling efficient, but the Kona has more grip. Overall I am extremely happy with the 153 and can't wait to get out again, maybe tomorrow, Having a heat wave here in Seattle, it was 60 degrees today!

Also a mucky nutz type fender on the rear keeps the shock pretty clean but the area below that still clogs with mud pretty good. A single ring setup makes it easier to clean that area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hey guys, just ordered a stock 153 and it's just arrived at the LBS. Wondering if there is anything I should get them to upgrade while it's there, I've already asked them to remove the front derailleur and replace it with a 32t NW ring.

I'm considering going tubeless with some new rims and crankarms to reduce weight, perhaps even a new rear shock (was thinking monarch rt3 plus) would it be worthwhile or do you think the bike is fine with it's stock parts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just got my 153 non dl last week. Only things I did were put a narrow wide 30t on and go tubeless. The stock suspension feels great. You could do all that stuff to get the weight down a little but I would ride it a couple times and see how you like it. I'm not going to change anything until something breaks. This bike is incredible.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast