Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Kona Process 153 2014

I should get my new Process 153 DL somtime in October. I've been planning to ditch the front mech and get narrow-wide chainring for 1x10 setup. One problem remains. I don't trust that chainring to go totally without chainguide, so would like to have upper chainguide. I suppose that some kind of protection for the chainring is also needed, either taco or bashguard.

First option, just put upper chainguide witch works with the basguard supplied in orginal setup. Is there such a thing? Derailleur is some kind of direct mount on chainstay, does chainguides exist that can just go to the same mount?

Second option, buy a chainguide that has taco and upper chainguide. I think this is heavier and only secondary option.

Anyone has similar plans?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The 153 has ISCG 05 tabs at the BB. Any chainguide should work with the bike, whether you go full guide or just an upper guide. I believe the MRP 1x guide comes in an ISCG version for a minimalist option.
    Fixing bikes for a living in Montana

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the tips memmot. MRP 1x looks like something that I'm looking for, I'm not sure it works with bashguard? How about this one, Should it be possible to just replace front derailleur with this? Blackspire Einfachx Chainguide E-Type Direct Mount 2014 | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    I converted my bike into a 1x10 about a month ago and used an n-gear jump stop for a chain guide N-Gear Jump Stop Chain Guide > N > N Gear | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop you put it where your front derailer used to be. I used a BBG bashguard Products that are handmade by this guy in Oregon, great product. I also put a single speed chainring on it and haven't dropped a chain yet. I have even intentionally tried to drop the chain, but to no avail. This combination works like a charm and is economically cheap, $18 for the bashguard (including shipping) and $10 for the n-gear chain guide.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
    Thanks for the tips memmot. MRP 1x looks like something that I'm looking for, I'm not sure it works with bashguard? How about this one, Should it be possible to just replace front derailleur with this? Blackspire Einfachx Chainguide E-Type Direct Mount 2014 | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Without have bike and parts in hand, I would say both the MRP and Blackspire guides should work equally well.
    Fixing bikes for a living in Montana

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    prestige are you in the USA?

cant get a date on them in the UK yet, Im guessing it will be later than october :-(

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well ive ordered my 153 might get here b4 the weekend probably by next week

very very excited

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hello.

i want to buy new Process 153 but i can't try it. which size will fit for me? i'm 175cm with around 82cm inseam and normal arm and torso length. Shoulder width is also normal. I ride Pitch Pro 2010 M size with 35mm steam and 740mm bar. Reach on this Pitch could be shorter but without offset seatpost i could not find proper sitting position.

on homepage i saw that S and M size of 153 have same seat tube length (405mm). is this mistake?

so which will be better...M or S?

thanks for your answer.

best regards

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiLi View Post
    on homepage i saw that S and M size of 153 have same seat tube length (405mm). is this mistake?
    its not a mistake. since all the bikes use dropper posts, the seat tubes are shorter than a traditional frame, and the fit is based on the reach. with that said, the reach on konas is longer than other bikes due to the short stems.

175cm you should get a medium for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    noooooooo delayed until 8th Oct now :-(

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    now picking up on thursday!

any thoughts on ho to lighten her up?

ive got some slx cranks, will they be lighter than the S1000 that come OE?

mtbr member
    May 2009

narrow wide wolftooth

I've had this on 3 rides with a non clutch rear xo and zero chain drops and no chain slap. I went 28t front, 36T back 1x10.

Kona Process 153 2014-wofltooth.jpeg

After riding the Honzo it has sold me on Kona's long top tube, short stem short stays setup. I have been gathering parts for a 650b trailbike and the frame is the last one on my list. Totally leaning towards the 153 now, so please post your thoughts when you get it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbers View Post
    prestige are you in the USA?

cant get a date on them in the UK yet, Im guessing it will be later than october :-(
    Nope, I'm in Finland.

now picking up on thursday!

any thoughts on ho to lighten her up?

ive got some slx cranks, will they be lighter than the S1000 that come OE?
    Same news here, should arrive to LBS today! I should get it tommorrow or monday. Yay!

Internet says that SLX and that stock X9 crankset are the same weight.
    Only thoughts i have for some weight shaving:
    - ditch the front mech, sifter and grannyring, then just get 34t narrow-wide ring and lightweight upper guide to it for 1x10setup. (depends on the terrain you ride if you actually really need that granny ring)
    - Moneywise Less sensible continuation is to buy XG1099 rear cassette. That's 150grams lighter than 1070, but costs like 250
    - I suppose lighter wheelset is possible, I don't think that anyone know the weight of the stock wheelset, I think that it's more on the burly and durable side. For example Stans Arch EX rim is almost 100g lighter each. You could easily get wheelset that is 200-250g lighter and still durable for allmountain use, but might limit your riding in bikepark. depending how heavy you are and how hard you ride of course.
    - Go tubeless of course, this saves tiny bit of weight, but in crucial place.
    - Change those burly RF atlas bars to some carbon bars
    - that saddle is around 210, grams, there is saddles that weight 140grams, if those suit your need otherwise.

That's my thoughts, anyone has other ideas?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Soon...

Kona Process 153 2014-img_1434.jpg

But not soon enough, have to wait until sunday evening or monday till i get my hands on this beaty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Bollox!

mines arrived too, but the mech hanger broke during shipping!!!

ahh well hopefully kona have one sent out to the shop by tomorrow

I was hoping the hager would be the same as the operator one but it looks like theyve changed them for 2014

Kona Process 153 2014-dropout.jpgKona Process 153 2014-p4pb5434920.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Bollox!

mines arrived too, but the mech hanger broke during shipping!!!

ahh well hopefully kona have one sent out to the shop by tomorrow

I was hoping the hager would be the same as the operator one but it looks like theyve changed them for 2014
    Oh I was surprised that 2013 process had same hanger as 2012 Abracadabra. Interesting to see what's the thing on 2014 model.
    Sorry kimbers for that weight reducing list, i didn't read carefully and thought that you are getting DL model as well. Well, reducing weight is cheaper on that non DL model. That SLX is about 50g lighter than stock S1000 crankset. If you want to shave weight, wheels is the place to start with. Also that 1030 rear cassette is heavy, that's cheap spot to shave 100g or so. Since you are in UK, this should be quite good set of wheels
    Superstar Components - High Spec Parts For Peanuts
    When i got my Taro, i just sold the stock wheels straight away and bought lighter wheels, update didn't end up costing too much, and got more that 500g lighter set of wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I received my 153 dl with a broken hanger as well. Be sure to check your rear freehub, mine was snapped in half. I've had my process for 2 weeks and i haven't even been able to ride it. Very dissapointing!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Got mine yesterday. Love it! here are a couple pics:

Instagram

Instagram

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Got mine tonight nice so far, 33.5 lbs with pedals, not ridden yet though gonna swap the deore brakes for my hope m4 races and swap the discs down a size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    still not had a proper ride but very happy, feels really solid, especially in the rear, laterally stiff, been doing 5ft drops to flat and riding steps etc and its incredibly confidence inspiring, pikes are bang-on too.
    spec wise its good, high roller is a bit draggy on the rear, theres f all clearance between rear mech and tyre, think im gonna try 1x10 and ditch it
    also rims are i25, not i23 as listed on the website, which is a bonus
    and shame the KS lever doesnt sync with the kona own brand lock on-grips,- which are otherwise really nice.
    760mm kona bar is very good too

not sure if its the BB or the cranks themselves but definately a bit of flex down there, so ill swap for my slx and see if its any better, shame as they look nice

mtbr member
    You scored on the i25's! That's a great surprise. I'm really impressed with my set.

still not had a proper ride but very happy, feels really solid, especially in the rear, laterally stiff, been doing 5ft drops to flat and riding steps etc and its incredibly confidence inspiring, pikes are bang-on too.
    spec wise its good, high roller is a bit draggy on the rear, theres f all clearance between rear mech and tyre, think im gonna try 1x10 and ditch it
    also rims are i25, not i23 as listed on the website, which is a bonus
    and shame the KS lever doesnt sync with the kona own brand lock on-grips,- which are otherwise really nice.
    760mm kona bar is very good too

not sure if its the BB or the cranks themselves but definately a bit of flex down there, so ill swap for my slx and see if its any better, shame as they look nice

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Posted my review of my highly anticipated Process 153 demo in Moab from this past weekend.

In Summary - brilliant bike (non DL) - they nailed the geo and rear suspension IMO for a single pivot design.

My only issue is the freekin der hanger snapped on the trail and I had to configure it to ride it out as single speed w many stops to reposition chain. still - the bike until that point and even after - as i stood to pedal due to gear ration - was absolut NAILS on the trail - up, down, techy, smooth - did it all. I dont know the weight - but NEVER felt it and my buddy was on his new sub-26lb trance advanced 275. BTW - the pike and monarch are so much better than my 2013 fox ctd components on my Satori!!! Just saying!

Go check teh 275.650b forum for a more complete write up. I'd own this thing tomorrow.

mtbr memeber
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbers
    Got mine tonight nice so far, 33.5 lbs with pedals
    Is yours a regular or DL?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    thats the regular model using my cheapo ebay scales

mtbr memeber
    That's amazing because on a cheapo spring scale I weighed a regular 134 with shop pedals on it at 34.5 lbs. Don't know if I can trust my numbers.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast