mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Kona Process 153 '15 - Front Mech

Wondering if anyone has swapped the front mech from the stock SRAM and had any success in more reliable shifts?

Been a constant problem since I've bought my bike and has caused a number of chain drops.

I know most resort to 1X. Eagle would be ideal but the stock Deore hub doesn't leave a easy way to do that.

I've heard Shimano's front mech works much better, just not sure if its the SRAM mech or GEO.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Since it wasn't clear based on the response. I have a 2X10 that i'm wondering if Shimano front shifter/derailleur would work more reliably than the stock X5?
    Last edited by antigravity19; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by antigravity19 View Post
    Wondering if anyone has swapped the front mech from the stock SRAM and had any success in more reliable shifts?

Been a constant problem since I've bought my bike and has caused a number of chain drops.

I know most resort to 1X. Eagle would be ideal but the stock Deore hub doesn't leave a easy way to do that.

I've heard Shimano's front mech works much better, just not sure if its the SRAM mech or GEO.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Still get lots of chain dropping running 1x !, its something to do with the suspension, stronger shimano rear mech & mrp 1x guide helped for me

you can go gx 11 speed with an 11-46 shimano mech, for loads of range or even 11-50 if you want more

https://factoryjackson.com/2017/04/1...peed-cassette/

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Kimbers is correct. In my experience it's a clutch on the derailleur you're missing. As my chain started wearing it began to drop, so that plays a role too.
    Re-cap: rear mech with a clutch helps. New chain cleared up my problem. I also installed a $35 guide for insurance.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Its a SRAM X9 w/Clutch with a X5 front 2X10. I have not converted to 1X yet though the SunRace is interesting as an alternative.

Drops mainly come trying to switch between chain rings in the front mech. It reluctantly tries to go to the Larger sprocket and will jump off. Basically have to have perfect conditions to switch.

Looking at a front mech change if it would help going to SLX or similar to cheaply resolve the issue.