Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,360

    Kona Process 111 vs. Hei Hei DL?

    Already have a Process 111 that has served me well the past 2 seasons. I have been scaling back a bit on the aggressive trail riding and and doing more XC style riding (wheels on the ground, limited chunk). I read a few reviews on the Hei and they says its quite efficient but can handle most average trail riding scenarios. Anyone ride both bikes or have any thoughts on switching to an Hei?
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    709
    For the type of riding you described, I'd do the hei hei.




    f*ck...did I just type that
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 09-01-2017 at 06:14 PM.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    903
    Where I live it's all pedaling all the time, no mtns so even with multiple 3-4ft drops it is difficult to get much speed up and really stress the bike. The 1st year of riding my 134 I realized the Process is overbuilt for my area. As soon as I saw the 140mm HeiHei Trail I knew that was the Kona for where I ride now. Meanwhile the extra lbs and pedaling work my 134 offers is simply giving me a good workout.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    111
    I've currently got a Process 134 (with 150mm Pikes) & a Hei Hei DL at my disposal.

    I'd say the DL loses 20% of the ability to handle the gnar in the fashion the Process does, but it makes up for it by a far greater amount in pedaling efficiency.

    The Hei Hei DL is marketed as a capable XC bike, but I'd probably call it more of a pedalable trail bike. It's incredibly capable and versatile if you're not riding extreme trails everyday.

    Also, the weight difference is going to make a difference, the 111 isn't built to be a lightweight bike

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Commonaeros View Post

    The Hei Hei DL is marketed as a capable XC bike, but I'd probably call it more of a pedalable trail bike. It's incredibly capable and versatile if you're not riding extreme trails everyday.

    Also, the weight difference is going to make a difference, the 111 isn't built to be a lightweight bike
    I agree. I have a 153, and a 134. The Hei Hei is very capable, but the overall weight is very noticeable. The wife rides a Large Hei Hei/134, I ride a large 153. The Hei Hei has a light wheelset and carbon bar, it feels half the weight of the process.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,677
    I just got a Hei Hei Trail 27.5 140mm/140mm. It is the lowest model component spec.

    In a nutshell, my experience to date matches very will with Dirt Rag's Review: Review: Kona Hei Hei Trail DL 27.5 – Dirt Rag

    It is has an XC soul with Pink bike dreams. If you want/need/like to pedal well and would get annoyed with wallowing and having to rely on flicking the 3 position lever on the shock consider this bike.

    With only 3 rides under my belt, I can say that it is a stellar pedaling bike. I keep the DPS performance shock open all the time except for a road section. Like one of the other posters, I live in an area with lots of pedaling and shorter downhill sections. I have not noticed much pedal kickback either. On smooth climbs, I've tired the middle setting. I thought that I'd use the middle mode more having been accustomed to the direct energy transfer of the hardtail. I prefer set/forget types of suspension though so keep it open mostly, and even prefer that little bit of motion under pedaling now.

    I really love the geometry of the Hei Hei Trail. It has the 75 degree seat tube that seems to be a trait of the new trail geometry, but has a 68 head angle. I am a convert to the steeper seat angle now. My saddle position relative to the bottom bracket is more forward than past bikes, but this suits me well.

    I am not sure if it the head angle that allows this, but I feel like I can do more from the saddle. Meaning that cruising tight twisty single track, I can move/corner the bike from a seated position w/o needing to get off the saddle as much as I expected.

    Another geometry consideration is the shorter reach compared to the Process and other trail bikes in the category. This was a major issue for me with long legs/short torso and even went with an XS small size. The stack is tall, however and am using a Syntace Flat force stem.

    Downhilling is great to me, but I am coming off a hardtail. It is 140/140mm so is balanced, and feels stable. The stock dropper on the XS was too short and put a 125mm Trek dropper on it. I wish I was able to find a 150mm but didn't look too hard though most were too long to fit. In general I just love the fit. I've never had a trail bike but this feels like what the image in my mind was.

    I wouldn't call it significantly faster than my hardtail on smoother trail, but anything rough is just plain fun. The fact that there is flex in the stays as part of the travel is transparent. My only concern is that this part of the suspension is not 'tuneable' for weight.

    Downsides, is that it doesn't seem as 'poppy' as I'd hoped. The chainstay is short at 425 but I seem to have a harder time lofting the front wheel and wheelieing. Again, I was coming off a custom hardtail that designed probably too flickable and twitchy. I need to play with my stem/bars more and am probably more XC biased with the stem right now. It could also be due to the shock. This model has the DPS Performance and am not sure if there is a volume reducer in it.

    I am not getting full travel from the shock either. A common problem as I am 135-140lbs, so a custom Avalanche tune is planned. The fork is ok, again not using it to it's full potential. I am considering trying a Manitou Mattoc which can go from 140mm to 160mm. It will be fun to try overforking a little.

    Other thoughts are to go for the mid level spec if you can. It comes with carbon wheels/hope hubs, and better shock/fork. My model comes with the Rhythm fork which is an oem only version, though performance is supposed to be the same. The shock is trunion and metric which does limit aftermarket changes. The XS has water bottle mounts, but a small bottle won't fit without using the Problem Solvers relocation kit.

    In general, if you are and XCer with pink bike dreams this is one to check out.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl View Post
    I am not getting full travel from the shock either. A common problem as I am 135-140lbs, so a custom Avalanche tune is planned. .

    Common to lighter riders or the hei hei in particular?

    Considering building up a carbon hei hei frame for my wife and shes 110-115lbs kitted, so this would definitely concern me.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,677
    I think common to lighter riders. I speculate that when the designers specify the shocks and shock tunes, they design around an average rider (150-170lbs??). This often leads to compression damping that is too high for lighter riders.

    Sometimes you'll see a company specify custom tunes for their smaller women's specific bikes, but I doubt they did that here.

    This model comes with the DPS performance shock. The higher models come with the factory DPS. I think both can be upgraded with the after market EVOL sleeve which I've heard can help with this issue. The specs on the shock also say that it has a 0.6 cubic inch air volume reducer/spacer. I've read that going to a smaller spacer (I think the smallest Fox has a 0.2??) is a trick used for lighter riders.

    reference: https://www.bikerumor.com/2014/08/14...ng-air-volume/

    Does she need the XS small size? Other frames I was looking at with XS include Norco Optic, Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt, Norco Revolver (more XC but would add 120mm fork), Pivot Mach 4, Rocky Mountain Altitude 2018, Transition Scout-2018 (though still pretty long in the reach)

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl View Post
    This model comes with the DPS performance shock. The higher models come with the factory DPS. I think both can be upgraded with the after market EVOL sleeve which I've heard can help with this issue. The specs on the shock also say that it has a 0.6 cubic inch air volume reducer/spacer. I've read that going to a smaller spacer (I think the smallest Fox has a 0.2??) is a trick used for lighter riders.
    I thought the shock shipped without an air spacer?

    Also, I talked to Kona about the Evol sleeve and they said that it would need a retune if you decided to add it and that it wasn't really going to add much performance wise.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    709
    Curious if anyone has disconnected their shocks on the hei hei to see how much spring tension the flex stays adds. Does it move freely? Add any bottom out resistance?

    TIA
    Marcus
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    I thought the shock shipped without an air spacer?

    Also, I talked to Kona about the Evol sleeve and they said that it would need a retune if you decided to add it and that it wasn't really going to add much performance wise.
    I have not opened the shock up yet. When I entered the 4 digit tune code on the shock into Fox's Web site, this is what it spit out:
    2017, FLOAT DPS, P-S, A 3pos Trunion SV, Kona Hei Hei Trail, 165, 45, 0.6 spacer, CM, RM, Climb F, Standard

    *** Confirmed ***
    I opened up the shock and it had a big black spacer in it.
    Last edited by ashwinearl; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:32 AM.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl View Post
    I think common to lighter riders. I speculate that when the designers specify the shocks and shock tunes, they design around an average rider (150-170lbs??). This often leads to compression damping that is too high for lighter riders.

    Sometimes you'll see a company specify custom tunes for their smaller women's specific bikes, but I doubt they did that here.

    This model comes with the DPS performance shock. The higher models come with the factory DPS. I think both can be upgraded with the after market EVOL sleeve which I've heard can help with this issue. The specs on the shock also say that it has a 0.6 cubic inch air volume reducer/spacer. I've read that going to a smaller spacer (I think the smallest Fox has a 0.2??) is a trick used for lighter riders.

    reference: https://www.bikerumor.com/2014/08/14...ng-air-volume/

    Does she need the XS small size? Other frames I was looking at with XS include Norco Optic, Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt, Norco Revolver (more XC but would add 120mm fork), Pivot Mach 4, Rocky Mountain Altitude 2018, Transition Scout-2018 (though still pretty long in the reach)
    She seems to use all/most of the travel on her process 134 when ridden aggressively. Well, aggressively as she can.

    We are looking at a hei hei carbon 29 frame to build up and probably in size small, but she could ride a medium as she has a long-ish inseam. Those seem to come with monarch shocks which in worst case, i can install a deboinair can to soften it up a bit.

    Anyone disconnect their shock and cycle the suspension yet?
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

Similar Threads

  1. Process 111/111 DL Thread
    By fleanutz in forum Kona
    Replies: 976
    Last Post: 19 Hours Ago, 06:44 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-21-2017, 08:23 AM
  3. Process 111 vs 2016 Hei Hei Trail DL
    By CoastieTX in forum Kona
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-26-2015, 01:50 PM
  4. 2015 Kona Hei Hei Deluxe vs. Kona Process 111
    By Ralph in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2014, 06:47 PM
  5. 2014 kona hei hei hei
    By Terra YSN in forum Kona
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2014, 06:49 PM

Members who have read this thread: 91

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •