mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Kona Kula Primo (Scandium) seatpost clamp size

HI
    Just need to replace the seatpost clamp on my (2005? blue/silver) Kona Kula Primo, the scandium frame model. The post is 27.2. I thought it was a 31.8mm clamp but this seems a bit big..?
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It must be 30.7 mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Borrowed some digital calipers and they do give the diameter around 30.7mm- didn't know clamps were available in this size?!
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Next problem- the seatpost is creaking, despite changing the clamp, saddle, greasing everything etc, the creaking is definitely coming from the post/seattube area. The post at the moment is a 27.2 Thomson, but it does feel quite loose in the tube. Just wondered if Kona ever used a 28.6 post? Just to confirm, the clamp is 30.7mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The specification of the seat tube is unusual in my limited experience - 30.6/31.8 x 1.7/0.9/1.5t. That implies that the tube is basically a 31.8, but narrows at the top to 30.6, the opposite of what you usually see with externally-butted seat tubes. But it is consistent with the use of a 30.7 clamp.

The seatpost is specified as a 27.2, and that also is consistent with the tube spec. You might squeeze a 27.4 in there if your 27.2 is loose, but nothing bigger than that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Appreciated, cheers.