mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Kona Kula Deluxe - Sizing Help and Thoughts on model

Hi

I intending to purchase a Scott Scale 50, however have come across a heavily discounted Kona Kula Deluxe online. I have heard many good things about Kona's, but had minimal expeirence. I am 6ft 0in and weight 82kg's. I will be commuting to work on roads Mon - Fri, and hitting trails on the weekends.

Can anyone help with:
    - Sizing of the bike
    - Advise on Kona's riding style, given the Kula's head angle is a little more relaxed then the Scott Scales
    - Any thoughts on Kona's in general - they arent that big in Australia so have had minimal experience with them.

Thanks

808+909 = Party Good Time
    I'm 5'11" and 75kg and an 18" Kula fit me good. It's quite stretched out.

I really like the ride (thus only test rode them, ended up with a Kona Big Kahuna instead).

Kona's in general are stiff and quick and climb well. That was my experience from both. They are also tough as rocks.

Sorry I just read you are in Australia, thus am I. Kona's although not as common here but do have a great rep for being a great bike and you usually get better parts for your money with them.

I test rode a Kona Kula, a Norco Nitro and a couple of other 26ers and would buy the Kona hands down for ride. I just wanted 29er wheels in the end, that was the swaying point for me.

Personally I'd say forget the Scott and get the Kona. It's got a bit more soul.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the reply.

I demoed a 20in Kula (not the deluxe i am looking at getting but the same frame geometry) in a LBS and it seemed like a good fit. I'll be doing the majority of riding on road so a slightly larger fit will suit better in my opinion, or am i wrong? Should i go 19inch (which I couldnt test as they didnt have it in stock).

808+909 = Party Good Time
    If it fit good then it probably fit good. I like low and long so it would probably have been like that. The only reason to go a little smaller would be to help you get off the back of the seat on steep downhills or if you like a bike that is more 'flickable'.

I generally find 19" as big as I would go but if it felt good then go for it.