Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Kona HONZO

58K views 106 replies 50 participants last post by  keith13 
#1 · (Edited)
I figured this bike could use it own thread as I'm sure there are going to be quite a few enthusiasts. Please post any updates on availability as well as builds as they start rolling in. I'm already making my shopping list. :thumbsup:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The head angle should be great for descending. Steep climbs may be a bit light in the front end but the guys at Kona said it climbs great. I read somewhere that the stock build comes in around 28lbs. Rumor is that it will be available as a frame only also so you could build it lighter if you wanted to.

#5 ·
Calling my LBS to get on the list for this frame. I wouldn't be interested in the complete build either. Loving the new short CS and slack HT 29ers that are hitting the market these days!

I wonder how it would ride with a Kona P2 rigid fork. I'd go back and forth SS, 1x9 and rigid, Reba.I was glad to see the slider dropouts for sure!

#7 ·
Really? Where do you feel the "rip-off" is?

In the bike world, I find you get what you pay for. With some brands I'm always worried that I'm paying more for advertising than for a good bike, but doing some comparisons, it seems like the Honzo is pretty much in line with other 2012s. Maybe the spec is even better than most, since the most expensive, hardest parts to upgrade are the least in need of upgrading (e.g. the fork).

Maybe if I'm already spending $1799, I might as well drop the $2Gs and get 10spd shifting. But my LBS will take my trade-in the parts and upgrade me before the bike even leaves the store, and I'll get better trade-in value on those "repair parts" that will sell quickly.

If you can just barely scrape the $ together, you'll be happy because she's ready to rock, and the stuff will last and perform through abuse. If you are like me and already have nicer parts, you're stoked because Kona didn't waste your $ on more expensive stuff that would need an upgrade nevertheless. If you want a nicer bike and have the money, then trade-in and upgrade. I don't see the issue. What I do see, however, is my next bike.

#9 ·
Really? Where do you feel the "rip-off" is?
Everything but the frame and fork.If I'm spending $1799, close to $2000 after taxes, I better not be seeing Deore, Alivio or basic Avid disc brakes anywhere on the spec sheet. I'm surprised they didn't bundle this bike with a RockShox Tora 29er like they do with the 26er Kona Steely and called it a day.

Personally, I know what $2K can get you these days in the AM steel hardtail category and it's no where close to the basics that come bundled with the Honzo complete build. If I was spending MSRP on the Honzo, I would feel ripped off because I know better. :nono:

#19 ·
i have a 2010 unit that I was thinking about setting it up with a 100mm fork and a 1x9and some lighter wheels etc.my question is would I be better off getting one of these?what would be the advantage of this geo?
i ride for fun but try to keep up,not really mountains but rocky ozark hills.
the unit geo is almost identical to a niner and everybody loves their niner

#20 ·
I had been looking at this bike. Being it would be my first Kona, I'm a little uncertain about the sizing, especially considering the geometry of the Honzo. My current 26" HT is a 19". From what I read, it would appear that Kona's run big? I am 5'10.5" with a pants inseam of 32". So would I consider the 18"?

#22 ·
Gonna run 1x10 on mine. Bike is designed around 120mm fork but if I plan on trying a 140mm I don't see a reason you can't try a 100mm. 120mm is probably the sweet spot though. Thinking about trying a 140 with a bit more sag. I'll see what happens.

#24 ·
Got mine in yesterday! quick ride after work, supper fun, weighed in at 33 lb 5 oz. She is a heavy one, going to see about trying to lighten the load a little bit.

The slack head tube and super short chain stays make for a fun run down hill.

Going on another ride tonight....

#31 ·
Sorry pictures will come tomorrow when the day light come backs. 33lb 5 oz for the 20 in frame. The wheels are very portly, 7lb rear and 5 lb front, for aggressive tires they are not very heavy the cassette weight in at 425g. so some weight to loose there.

any reconmendations to look for a 9 spd cassette that has a 36? what about a lighter crank that will take a 32?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.