Thread: Kona Hahanna

mtbr member
    May 2005

Kona Hahanna

anyone know why there are no reviews for this bike here? im trying to get a little more info on it. does anyone know if its frame is the same as the cinder cone? i know they have the same geometry, not sure if one is lighter then the other? does anyone have the 2005 model here?

thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

It's new for 05

The Hahannah (man that is a mouthfull) is new for 05. MTBR is a bit behind on the current stuff. I tried to find a review for the 05 Dawg Dee-Lux I ended up buying. No luck, I had to base the decision on previous years and trust it only gets better. The Hahanna is essentially last years Fire Mountain with a new paint scheme. That's what the LBS owner told me when I was looking at one for my son. I ended up getting the leftover Fire Mountain for him (with vee brakes). It was too good a deal to pass on. Kona has bike weights listed on their site in the technical area. It is in a Microsoft Excel sheet format. I have to assume they spec the middle of the road size frame. They also have a frame tube sheet if you really want to get technical. The great thing about Kona is you get the same high quality frame material even in the entry level models. Pick up a comparable priced Specialized, Ugggh. Lesser quality aluminum has to be thicker and hence heavier. I told my 12 yr old boy..."son this frame is made from 7000 series aluminum!" He couldn't care less but I'm sure you will. Don't know what your going to do with it but if you can swing it I would recommend upgrading and getting disk brakes. It's a difference maker and not an upgrade you can do later (without a lot of cost)

i heart singletrack

The Hahanna is a great riding bike for the $$

The Hahanna is a sweet bike for the price. Since Kona put disc brakes on the Fire Mountain for '05, the Hahanna came to being (as the rim brake version of the bike, basically). Same frame, fork, drivetrain, and contact points as the Fire Mountain -- $100 fewer bucks, and probably a pound less weight in the Hahanna makes it sound like a pretty sweet deal. Plus, that red color is deep and sexy when you see it in person.

As noted above, the frame on the Hahanna is the same alloy frame as Kona uses on the $1000 Caldera, so you have plenty of "growing room" with the Hahanna, to upgrade parts as your desire and abilities grow. The frame is worthy.

Good luck!
    MG
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2005
    thanks for the info!, the hahanna is around 2lbs lighter then firemountain or blast i think. and i dont need disc brakes, just wondered about the frame to see if it would be a good one to do upgrades for.
    Last edited by Antiloop; 05-06-2005 at 02:08 PM.

UK Biker

Hahanna - A New Model?

How can the Hahanna be a new model? There have been Hahannas around since the early '90s!

Good frame for the money but you might find alot of the components leave a bit to be desired.

Fluff

i heart singletrack

True... my error.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffbomb
    How can the Hahanna be a new model? There have been Hahannas around since the early '90s!

Good frame for the money but you might find alot of the components leave a bit to be desired.

Fluff
    True. There have been hahannas in the line, my bad. The positioning relative to the fire mountain now is changed from how it's been in the past, I believe.

There's two ways you can go: buy the less expensive bike and upgrade key components, or simply start with a higher-end bike from the get go. I typically recommend the latter, but in your case, an upgrade is simply one to disc brakes. I'm a disc fan, mind you, but yes, they do add weight, especially to midrange bikes, which don't get to take advantage of the lighter wheel and disc brake components that are now available.

Antiloop, your idea of upgrading to a better fork is a very good one, and the MX Comp ETA you e-mailed me about would be a great choice.

Good luck!
    MG