Thread: Kona Frames

mtbr member

Kona Frames

Does Kona still sell frames? I haven't seen them listed in their site for the past few years. Maybe since 2010 - 2009??

mtbr member
    I'm about to order a 2013 Unit frame (steel version) from my LBS. It's not listed as a frame-only option on the website, but they said they could order about anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    I'm about to order a 2013 Unit frame (steel version) from my LBS. It's not listed as a frame-only option on the website, but they said they could order about anything.
    Nice to hear that.
    One of the thing that I like about Kona's site is the fact that they include MSRP's. I have seen random frames for sale here and there. In fact, the Unit was one of them.

I am going to follow up with my Kona dealer later on this week and see if they could get me a frame.

Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Not a problem. FWIW, they gave me a price of $500 for a frame and fork, but said the 2013's may be a bit more. I'll know for sure when I sit down and actually order and pay.

mtbr member
    Not a problem. FWIW, they gave me a price of $500 for a frame and fork, but said the 2013's may be a bit more. I'll know for sure when I sit down and actually order and pay.
    FYI,
    Kona supposedly dropped 2 pounds off the weight of the 2013 Unit compared to the 2012 and the whole thing complete retails for $999.

They have this on their FB page.

"2013 kona unit, how to shave 2 pounds off, was 26.1. Now 24.2!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I work at a Kona dealer. You can get most of the bikes they offer as a frame set.

get down!
    Could you guys find out how much for the Taro frame?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'll take a look for you today. I think in order to guarantee you get a frame you have to order one in advance. I live in Canada though so it may be a little different with the US.r

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The Taro frame is $299,99 MSRP in Canada. So the US price is probably like $279.99

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrs1Rider View Post
    The Taro frame is $299,99 MSRP in Canada. So the US price is probably like $279.99
    Wow, that is a good price! I just noticed the Taro on their site the other day. The thought of getting a more reasonably price version of the Honzo is very attractive.

I am actually looking for something along the line of either an Entourage or a Process. I am starting to out ride the capabilities of my Tanuki on some of the technical trails I ride and need something with a bit more travel.

I still plan on keeping the Tanuki as my general trail / AM bike.

Speaking of the Taro / Honzo, it would be awesome if Kona would introduce a freeridish 29er with suspension. Something along the lines of a Norco Shinobi or Turner Sultan.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandus View Post
    Wow, that is a good price! I just noticed the Taro on their site the other day. The thought of getting a more reasonably price version of the Honzo is very attractive.

I am actually looking for something along the line of either an Entourage or a Process. I am starting to out ride the capabilities of my Tanuki on some of the technical trails I ride and need something with a bit more travel.

I still plan on keeping the Tanuki as my general trail / AM bike.

Speaking of the Taro / Honzo, it would be awesome if Kona would introduce a freeridish 29er with suspension. Something along the lines of a Norco Shinobi or Turner Sultan.
    The Taro doesn't have a sliding dropout though. Still most Kona frames are reasonable. The satori is the closest to a full suspension free ride bike on 29's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I work at a Kona dealer. You can get most of the bikes they offer as a frame set.
    Yes, this nice to know.

That seems cheap, considering the Unit frame and fork are $500+. Are you sure that is MSRP and not dealer cost?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by haager View Post
    Yes, this nice to know.

That seems cheap, considering the Unit frame and fork are $500+. Are you sure that is MSRP and not dealer cost?
    That's what the book says. The Taro doesn't have the slider drop outs though. The Unit frame and fork aren't really worth consider you can buy the whole bike for under a grand.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That's what the book says. The Taro doesn't have the slider drop outs though. The Unit frame and fork aren't really worth consider you can buy the whole bike for under a grand.
    I realize it does not have sliders and was not considering the Unit, I just used that as an example since the price had been mentioned in an earlier post. Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    I just paid for my Kona Unit yesterday, it cost $525 for frame and fork. Not a bad price, IMO for such a nice looking steel frame...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i would also be interested to possibly purchase a taro frame....it seems like a great frame for a 120mm fork and would be fun to build it up my way......I would need/want to run an mrp bling ring 28t for the mountains and steep climbs around me since you can't run a front derailleur. I'm sure it must be lighter than the honzo frame as well......probably around 4 lbs or so........I'm gonna email Kona from my end and see if you can get it frame only!

mtbr member
    I just paid for my Kona Unit yesterday, it cost $525 for frame and fork. Not a bad price, IMO for such a nice looking steel frame...
    The whole 2013 bike is $999.00. They supposedly lightened the whole thing by 2lbs too.

mtbr member
    It might be close outs for $279 bc i just placed an order for the Unit 29er frameset for the same price.

EDIT - $279 for frame only.... what a bunch of ****ers, the site is selling it as a frameset without the fork. That would make it only a frame. Bastards....
    Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by airic81; 10-08-2012 at 10:55 AM.