mtbr member

Kona frame material question

hey folks, crosspost from the What Bike to Buy forum. someone suggested i post it here:

does anyone know if there's a significant weight difference between Dedacciai SAT Cromoly, which is the material used for the '05 Kona Explosif, and True Temper Platinum OX, which is the material used on the '04 Explosif?

it's my understanding that the Platinum OX is one of the top steel materials you can get...correct?

thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogwash
    hey folks, crosspost from the What Bike to Buy forum. someone suggested i post it here:

does anyone know if there's a significant weight difference between Dedacciai SAT Cromoly, which is the material used for the '05 Kona Explosif, and True Temper Platinum OX, which is the material used on the '04 Explosif?

it's my understanding that the Platinum OX is one of the top steel materials you can get...correct?

thanks for any help!
    The weight is the same. The quality of the bikes, as far as i can tell from owning both, is the same. The price of the two is event he same! There's really not much difference at all between the two.

Cheers,
    Joe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    In the raw materials world, from my experience anyways, manufacturers, that is the raw material manufacturers, like to give their products special names to more easily identify the product. The point is that the 2 "different" materials could be very much the same in chemical and physical attributes and in reality are the same. I like the approach Kona takes on the frame material. I can identify with 7005 series aluminum. You can look it up and find out pretty much what it is your getting from an engineering standpoint. Specialized does this A1 and A1 Premium aluminum. That's Their name for it. A1 aluminum doesn't exist. So what is this mystery aluminum? Is it 6000 series, 7000 series, Who knows.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

i heart singletrack

I'll echo Kona Joe's sentiment...

I've ridden both iterations, and both ride very similar. The '05 perhaps has a little springier top tube (laterally), but IMHO, that's a good thing (within reason).

They're both great bikes, and if you've got an opportunity to get an '04 at a great deal, I wouldn't pass it up. That said, I'd gladly pay full retail for an '05.

Cheers,
    MG
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Kona has both the '04 & '05 on their website for the same price. i think i'm more partial to the color of the '05, all other things (frame material & weight, that is) being equal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardDog
    In the raw materials world, from my experience anyways, manufacturers, that is the raw material manufacturers, like to give their products special names to more easily identify the product. The point is that the 2 "different" materials could be very much the same in chemical and physical attributes and in reality are the same. I like the approach Kona takes on the frame material. I can identify with 7005 series aluminum. You can look it up and find out pretty much what it is your getting from an engineering standpoint. Specialized does this A1 and A1 Premium aluminum. That's Their name for it. A1 aluminum doesn't exist. So what is this mystery aluminum? Is it 6000 series, 7000 series, Who knows.
    It's 6061 aluminum witch has a longer lifespan than the 7005 kona crap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Buzz off

Quote Originally Posted by zocchi ryder
    It's 6061 aluminum witch has a longer lifespan than the 7005 kona crap.
    We don't need you in here insulting our bike's frame materials. Go away!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Yea...take that!

Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy
    We don't need you in here insulting our bike's frame materials. Go away!
    Yea, that crummy material they make racing engine connecting rods out of, arrow shafts, etc, etc.. What the heck was Kona thinking??
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    7005 is lighter as well, is it not?