Thread: Kona Four

mtbr member

Kona Four

Anybody have one of these? I am very strongly considering purchasing. Pros, cons,, give it to me straight,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Frame sizes 14", 16", 17", 18", 19", 20", 22"
    Frame tubing Kona Race Light Scandium Butted, 4" Travel
    Rear shock RockShox Bar 2.1
    Fork RockShox Dart 2 w/ Turnkey 100mm
    Headset TH
    Crankarms FSA Alpha Drive Exo Powerdrive
    Chainrings 44/32/22
    B/B FSA Powerdrive
    Pedals Shimano M505 Clipless
    Chain KMC HG53
    Cassette Shimano Deore (11-32, 9spd)
    F/D Shimano Deore
    R/D Shimano Deore
    Shifters Shimano Deore
    Handlebar Kona Aluminum Riser
    Stem Kona Control
    Grips Kona Mooseknuckle
    Brakes Hayes MX4 Mechanical
    Brake Levers Avid FR-5
    Front hub KK Disc
    Rear hub Shimano M475 disc
    Spokes DT Stainless 14g
    Tires Maxxis 26 x 2.1 Ignitor
    Rims Alex Ace-18
    Saddle WTB Laser V Comp
    Seatpost Kona Thumb
    Seat clamp Kona QR
    Color Blue/White/Black
    Attached Images Attached Images

solid gold plated
    con = woeful spec
    pro = cheap?

if i were you perhaps try to find an old stock kikapu, might give you roughly the same but for less.
    a message of inspiration from your friends at yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top!

mtbr member
    Sorry, I am kind of a noob, can you please expound on "woeful spec"? Thanks again.

mtbr member
    He means the base model parts are not very good.

I read a MBA review of the Four. They really did not like it. And for MBA to actually talk bad about a potential advertiser's product means it was REALLY bad
    Mostly issues with Kona's suspension system. In a world of active suspension systems, Kona's faux bar system is looking old and antiquated for a XC type bike.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member

I have an 07 King for ya!

Hey> The Four replaced the Kikapu, the top model of which was called The King.

1st> I have an 07 King as well as a brand new Four Supreme. The base model that you are looking at is a bit of a crap box on parts, but the frame and rear shock are great. Kona likes to keep thier product line attainable for most buyers not looking to refinance the house for a steed. It's good and bad ya know?
    I ride for Kona and every year, I get a built bike and then swap out and upgrade most of my parts. e.g. My new Four Supreme came with killer suspension from Fox. I preffer SRAM over Shimano, so I swapped that out, etc. etc.

If you are in the market, I have a sweeeeeet 2007 King for sale> check the class ads here for my post or check out my pinkbike list http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/343138/

let me know
    breckseth@comcast.net
    The best trails are STILL...

www.breckepic.com
    http://mavsports.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I would go for a kikapu over the four. I used to have a kikapu and I thoughly enjoyed it. It was a super solid bike with a good suspension. Like rsquared28 said MBA didn't like the four at all. They usually don't give BAD reviews.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flboy
    I would go for a kikapu over the four. I used to have a kikapu and I thoughly enjoyed it. It was a super solid bike with a good suspension. Like rsquared28 said MBA didn't like the four at all. They usually don't give BAD reviews.

Like I said the Four build pictured is pretty swag. The Four Supreme is a much better build. MBA doesnt give bad review or usefull info of any kind because they suck! That mag isn't even actually written by mountain bike peeps. But yeah, I agree w/ you flboy. I need to sell my king, so help me convince hommie to buy it and I'll get y'all a subscription to Dirt Rag.
    The best trails are STILL...

www.breckepic.com
    http://mavsports.com/

mtbr member
    My wife bought an 07 The King earlier this year. What a great bike. Lucky for me, we both ride the same size bike, so I get to race on her King and still beat my Dawg rest of the time
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Spend the money now and don't worry about upgrading later. Buying a used bike can be teh way to go if it is in good shape.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

Members who have read this thread: 0