Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 51
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8valvegrowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    268
    I would think any mid-tune 7.5 x 2.0 air shock would be a good upgrade. Think Float RP series, Rock Shox Monarch series, or X-Fusion O2 series.

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    114
    Hey guys,
    I thought it would be better to bring this thread back to life then start a new one. Does anyone know the recommended shock tune? Also, did any of you swap the shock? What did you replace it with and what do you think of it?

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: martinizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    315
    I finally gave up the the fastrax shock on my wife's tanuki. The rebound was always absurdly slow and never loosened up. Then the rebound adjustment knob broke altogether.

    I replaced it with a Rockshox Monarch RL, mid tune, 7.5 x 2. It's a huge improvement. No wonder the Kona started spec-ing a monarch on the Tanuki.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    114
    That's one of the shocks I'm considering. So I suppose it was worth it then? I'll probably grab something used if I can find it.

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    126
    Very timely. I was reconnoitering an extremely rocky trail last Sat morning and working hard on a steep technical downhill when the fastrax decided to lock itself and damn near pogo'd me right over my handlebars. Fought with the damned thing all ride long and decided an upgrade is a must, Monarch is decent price wise so I guess I'll give that a go.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    53
    This happened to me yesterday. Until yesterday the shock would lock out only occasionally and I was never sure if it was me bumping it. Yesterday it locked out constantly and by the end of the ride was leaking oil. I came here to see if it was serviceable but an upgrade seems like a better plan.

    Is the old shock serviceable? I may fix it and keep it as a spare.

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: martinizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    315
    As far as serviceability, good luck getting parts. When the rebound adjustment knob stripped on my wife's FT shock, my dealer ordered a replacement knob assembly. That was in june. Still no sign of the part.
    Even if you fix the leak, the shock is going to continue committing suicide by flipping into lockout mode. You can find a new Monarch Rl on the interweb for under $250. Just do it.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    53
    It would just be a spare but doesn't seem worth trying. Thanks for the info.

    As for the Monarch, I ordered one off Amazon for $220 yesterday. I was never enamored with the AF2 so I'm viewing the whole thing as a win.

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by martinizer View Post
    You can find a new Monarch Rl on the interweb for under $250. Just do it.
    Got the Monarch RL but having trouble seating the bearings. Did you have any issue?

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: martinizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    315
    You'll need a vice to remove them from the old shock and press them into the new one.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    53
    A vice . . . thank you for the tech help and the shock recommendation. I rode it today. It's fantastic. (I also road better after a couple weeks on the single speed.)
    Last edited by Sh4wn; 12-12-2013 at 01:05 PM.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    102
    On my bike (Airborne Zeppelin Elite) I upgraded to a RockShox Monarch RT3 from a RockShox Bar 2.1, and it was a GINORMOUSLY HUGE improvement. I did the upgrade late last year and have ridden the RT3 this whole season. The shock has been flawless and has not given me any problems at all. I highly recommend this shock.

    Here is my detailed review:
    Rock Shox Monarch RT3 Reviews | Mountain Bike Reviews || SINGLETRACKS.COM

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    33
    Need to revive an old thread unfortunately. I have a 2012 Hei Hei with the Kona/Fastrax AF2 shock and it appears to have seized up on me as if its constantly in lockout mode. I've evacuated it, cycled it and aired it back to no effect so I'm looking for options.

    Can this shock be serviced by Kona? If not, would anybody have an eye to eye and stroke measurement for this thing so I can investigate a replacement? Thanx!

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_57 View Post
    Need to revive an old thread unfortunately. I have a 2012 Hei Hei with the Kona/Fastrax AF2 shock and it appears to have seized up on me as if its constantly in lockout mode. I've evacuated it, cycled it and aired it back to no effect so I'm looking for options.

    Can this shock be serviced by Kona? If not, would anybody have an eye to eye and stroke measurement for this thing so I can investigate a replacement? Thanx!
    It probably could be. I'd bet by the time you went to all that trouble you could get a good used shock that will be twice as good though. What's the rear travel? Our Tanuki's are 7.5x2. Your best bet would be to call Kona and ask the measurements. Let us know what you end up doing!

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    33
    FWIW since I revived this thing... Kona has parts in stock and will service the shock under warranty so that is taken care of. FWIW#2.... the Hei Hei shock size is 7.25" eye to eye with 1.75" stroke.

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hill Country Redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38

    Kona/Fastrax AF2 rear shock?

    Does anyone know if the original spacers and bolts will work with a Rock Shox Monarch RL or do you need to purchase additional hardware? This is for a '12 Tanuki.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads.

  17. #42
    Epic eater
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_57 View Post
    FWIW since I revived this thing... Kona has parts in stock and will service the shock under warranty so that is taken care of. FWIW#2.... the Hei Hei shock size is 7.25" eye to eye with 1.75" stroke.
    Had you bought the bike new in 2012? I'm surprised they would honor any warranty on a 2 yr old bike even for the original purchaser. I have a 2012 Hei Hei and the shock is locked/jammed, trying to figure out options...and I did not buy it new.

    -Mark

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by mabrodis View Post
    Had you bought the bike new in 2012? I'm surprised they would honor any warranty on a 2 yr old bike even for the original purchaser. I have a 2012 Hei Hei and the shock is locked/jammed, trying to figure out options...and I did not buy it new.

    -Mark
    I cracked my stay on my '11 Tanuki DL last month and they honored it for a free replacement. I am not the original owner either. Just contact Kona through your local dealer if possible.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_57 View Post
    FWIW since I revived this thing... Kona has parts in stock and will service the shock under warranty so that is taken care of. FWIW#2.... the Hei Hei shock size is 7.25" eye to eye with 1.75" stroke.
    Did you go through a bike shop?

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    33
    I went through my bike shop and they took care of it. Apparently and according to emails I had with Kona tech support, they have parts to service the shock. Not sure what the bike shop did or didn't do with Kona but I have my Hei Hei back and the shock works fine.
    2013 Kona Process
    2012 Kona Hei Hei

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_57 View Post
    I went through my bike shop and they took care of it. Apparently and according to emails I had with Kona tech support, they have parts to service the shock. Not sure what the bike shop did or didn't do with Kona but I have my Hei Hei back and the shock works fine.
    So you got your original shock back (not a replacement)?

    I emailed tech support asking if there was a rebuild kit of any kind for the version that came on my 2011 tanuki, and the reply was "the shocks are like a solid state part, ask your shop to contact us for replacement information."

  22. #47
    Epic eater
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    75
    Just to add to this thread. After the positive results of others when taking their bikes into a local Kona bike store I took mine in (my rear shock was jacked, adjustments didn't work, was locked for a long time, etc) to a local shop (Alpha Bicycle Company here in Denver). Mine is a 2012 Hei Hei and I am not the original owner (just got it off eBay a few months ago), the shop just called me that they contacted Kona and Kona is going to replace that shock for free. Sweet! They said all I'm on the hook for is shipping my shock to them and the shock "install"...so like $25 total.

    So, any with similar problems...I'd recommend just going to a shop and having them contact Kona and seeing what can be done...

    -Mark

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hill Country Redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    I upgraded my shock to a Monarch and love it. This was after I some how stripped the threads on the valve stem I am going to try and take the shock to the local shop here and see if it can be fixed. At least then I would have a back up or could sell on ebay.

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    31

    Re: Kona/Fastrax AF2 rear shock?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hill Country Redneck View Post
    I upgraded my shock to a Monarch and love it. This was after I some how stripped the threads on the valve stem I am going to try and take the shock to the local shop here and see if it can be fixed. At least then I would have a back up or could sell on ebay.
    Which Monarch did you go with? I just picked up a 2012 Hei Hei and am looking putting a Monarch RL on it.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hill Country Redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38

    Kona/Fastrax AF2 rear shock?

    Quote Originally Posted by jstrat73 View Post
    Which Monarch did you go with? I just picked up a 2012 Hei Hei and am looking putting a Monarch RL on it.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    I went with the RL and I glad I did. I got sidelined for a couple of weeks so I really haven't gotten it "dialed in" yet but it is night and day from the factory shock. I need to work with the rebound as it isn't exactly where I want it. Let us know what your wind up with


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •