Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Re: Kona/Fastrax AF2 rear shock?

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Country Redneck View Post
    I went with the RL and I glad I did. I got sidelined for a couple of weeks so I really haven't gotten it "dialed in" yet but it is night and day from the factory shock. I need to work with the rebound as it isn't exactly where I want it. Let us know what your wind up with

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I ended up with a Monarch RL as well and completely agree that it is a night and day difference from the stock Fastrax shock. It rides great! Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by martinizer View Post
    I finally gave up the the fastrax shock on my wife's tanuki. The rebound was always absurdly slow and never loosened up. Then the rebound adjustment knob broke altogether.

I replaced it with a Rockshox Monarch RL, mid tune, 7.5 x 2. It's a huge improvement. No wonder the Kona started spec-ing a monarch on the Tanuki.
    I am contemplating a rt3 or a fox DHX air 5. Do you think I will be able to fit a 7.875 x2?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by riyadh View Post
    I am contemplating a rt3 or a fox DHX air 5. Do you think I will be able to fit a 7.875 x2?

I have been running my Rockshox RT3 for 3 seasons now, and it is still holding up very well with no problems.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by blundar View Post
    I have been running my Rockshox RT3 for 3 seasons now, and it is still holding up very well with no problems.
    Is it in a tanuki and what size did you fit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Is it in a tanuki and what size did you fit?
    My bike is an Airborne Zeppelin Elite. I fit a 7.5x2 (190x51 metric) RT3 shock on it. This exactly the same size that you are supposed to use on yours.

I also used 2 of these Rockshox 3 piece bushes. I am not sure what size bushes your bike uses compared to mine.
    Amazon.com : RockShox Rear Shock Mounting Hardware-3-Piece Set : Bike Suspension Service Parts : Sports & Outdoors
    Kona/Fastrax AF2 rear shock?-519fnw-zlgl_sl1144__zps1778c849.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    ok, I want to know if I can replace my 7.5 shock with a 7.875?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    ok, I want to know if I can replace my 7.5 shock with a 7.875?
    The difference in eye to eye dimension would end up at .375" longer than stock.

Offset bushings on both ends can only shorten that by as much as 6mm (.236"). Even if you were to install offset bushings on both ends, you would only end up at around .139" longer than stock. That would raise your BB height by around 1/4", and steepen your Head Angle by about 1 degree up to 69 degrees.

I would say that it is possible but I would not do it. In my opinion, that is definitely going in the wrong direction. Higher center of gravity and a steeper head angle would be Ok for slightly improved climbing on a purely XC bike. But that would also make it suffer on most downhills and the twisties.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Cool, Thanks. I upgraded my fork from a 130mm to 150mm. I can say that while the ride was awesome and the front felt taller, I def would stay with the 190x50 shock.

mtbr member
    Cool, Thanks. I upgraded my fork from a 130mm to 150mm. I can say that while the ride was awesome and the front felt taller, I def would stay with the 190x50 shock.
    You upgraded a Tanuki to a 150mm fork? i'm interested in doing this to my '12 Tanuki deluxe, but am concerned its might be too much. I'm thinking 140mm might be ideal. What are your thoughts? Did you lose some of the trail bike snappiness by adding 20mm of travel in the front?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Steele501 View Post
    You upgraded a Tanuki to a 150mm fork? i'm interested in doing this to my '12 Tanuki deluxe, but am concerned its might be too much. I'm thinking 140mm might be ideal. What are your thoughts? Did you lose some of the trail bike snappiness by adding 20mm of travel in the front?

Yeah, the bike feels alot taller now, gives one more confidence as well. I used the std rock shox sector and had some bumps removed when I had it serviced. 140mm should be ideal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Have any of you who upgraded to the monarch RL had leak issues? I read a couple reviews somewhere about leaks. Are you still happy with your choice?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Well the Kona is no more!!. I manage to snap the frame. It is still under warranty and the local agent is useless and one cannot even get hold of them. I tried kona themselves also with no luck. I wanted to buy a process, but decided not to

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hah, yeah, that is a separate topic! I have had both triangles replaced once on my 2011 so far. Where did yours crack?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yeah true, sorry for the hijack. It broke at the rocker link on the seatpost

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yep, that's where mine cracked too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrox View Post
    Have any of you who upgraded to the monarch RL had leak issues? I read a couple reviews somewhere about leaks. Are you still happy with your choice?
    No leaks. It's been great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh4wn View Post
    No leaks. It's been great.
    do you have a tanuki? if so, did you get a 3 pc hardware set, or just use the sleeves that you pressed out of the fastrax as well as the stock bushings?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have a Tanuki DL I didn't get a 3pc hardware set, just the new shock. I used a vise to make what I had work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12