mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Kona Dawg Supreme

Hey all, just picked up a used Kona Dawg Supreme and am in the process of building it. I tried to post in the "Introduce yourself" thread but whenever I click it, nada, its all blank. So, I figured I'd do it here! Super stoked about this build, just started riding last summer and am really digging it. Was riding a Gary Fisher Tarpon all summer, and picked this up the Wed. before Thanksgiving. Here's where I am so far...

[IMG]IMG_0001[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0002[/IMG]

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nice bike! Good start) I like that stylish mix of colors on rims and on the frame.

For me the problem with "post your Kona..." was solved by changing Google Chrome to Safari - it works there.

P.S. I'm upgrading my Kona Four Deluxe 2008 and will show some photos of complete bike after New Year when it will be ready.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Nice. I like that color.
    I hope you didn't get robbed though by paying a premium for the "supreme" moniker. There is nothing original left on that bike that made it a "supreme" vs a regular Dawg. The frames on each were identical. The component groups are what designated the name changes.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    @ StupendusMan... Thanks man, I got it for a steal. My friend who sold it to me is a great guy and hooked me up. He's a big shot at Hayes and this was just sitting in his garage. He sold me the frame and brand new manitou rear shock plus the front fork Manitou Minute, plus FSA headset and Carbon Answer handlebar for 300.00! Another good friend of mine threw in a set of Avid BB7 front and rear brakes and stem for nothing...

@idinfinity... Looking forward to seeing some pics of your bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I don't know about US but here in Russia we have a saying with meaning "don't have 100$ but have 100 friends" (not Facebook "friends" of course )))
    Your previous post proves it)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    idinfinity... Love that saying, too true...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Wink

keep uploading the progress photos! It would be interesting to see complete bike.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Good deal man!

I tore down my Dawg completely last week. Im sending in the frame to be powdercoated to a deep red, like a burgandy. Right now its the stock 07 dawg deluxe green. Normally I like green, but I hate that shade, and I am not fond of the 07 logo & font. Once painted, I think I am going to leave it without decals of any kind. I dig that rust color though.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

RIP Friendgirl
    Love the rims. Sun Singletracks?
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    What's the travel and AC measurement on your Minute?

Kona cautions to not exceed original specs for the frame, because the head tube isn't reinforced enough for long travel forks changing the geometry and resulting stresses.

Of course, they also say don't powdercoat, because the baking temps can destroy the heat treating of the frame alloy.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    @4slomo... It's a 140mm fork 5" travel, I'm not sure what AC means, if you let me know, I'll give you the info... Like I said, just started riding this summer, kind of a newbie here!

@bordershy... They're Azonic Outlaw Hustlers

@ Stupendus Man... Thought about getting mine re-shot or powder coated cuz there are tons of scratches and nicks, but hell, i'm gonna just do the same thing to it!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep4play2000
    @4slomo... It's a 140mm fork 5" travel, I'm not sure what AC means, if you let me know, I'll give you the info... Like I said, just started riding this summer, kind of a newbie here!

AC is Axle to Crown measurement (B)

Putting a longer fork than is recommended by the manufacturer can put added strain to the headtube area.

Different brands of forks even with the same amount of travel,can have different A to C measurements,but I wouldn't worry about that.

I have an '05 Dawg and Kona say that is good for a 130mm fork,think yours is an '07?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man
    Good deal man!

I tore down my Dawg completely last week. Im sending in the frame to be powdercoated to a deep red, like a burgandy. Right now its the stock 07 dawg deluxe green. Normally I like green, but I hate that shade, and I am not fond of the 07 logo & font. Once painted, I think I am going to leave it without decals of any kind. I dig that rust color though.

Just finished getting mine resprayed green(slightly different than the 07 colour )

I'll get some pics up in a few weeks when its built up...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Finished the bike tonight... Just needs tweaking now! Can't wait to get it to Rays Indoor Park this Friday!!

[IMG]IMG_7313[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_7316[/IMG]

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Good job!

congratulations man!) Nice bike! I didn't love Manitou since I had Manitou Six on my first MTB but after riding on my friend's Jamis Dakar XLT with Manitou Minute and Swinger SPV 3 Way I've changed my mind - they work well! Very well) So, I'm sure you'll have a happy trails)

Crainius Maximus
    Oct 2005
    Looks sweet!

You're going to love the ISX-6 shock...it TOTALLY changed how my Dawg rides!

mtbr member
    Great look Dawg you have there!

-Brett