mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Kona Dawg Deluxe Rebuild

Got some money burning a hole in my pocket so I'm looking at rebuilding my 2008 Dawg.

Here's what I'm thinking

Frame: 2008 Dawg Deluxe (scandium frame)
    Wheels: Fulcrum Red Metal 1 XL (or Crank Brothers Cobalt)
    Crank: SRAM XX 2x10 42/28T
    Cassette: SRAM XX Dome 11-36
    Front Derailleur: SRAM XX
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM XX SGS
    Brakes: Hayes Prime Expert 160mm rotor
    Seatpost FSA SL-K carbon
    Saddle: Fi'zi:k Gobi XM
    Fork: Manitou Minute 140 w/MILO
    stem: FSA SL-K (or CB Iodine 2 or Easton Haven)
    handle bar: FSA XC-190 (or CB Iodine 11 or Easton Haven Carbon)
    Shifters: SRAM XX MatchMaker

The changes are mostly because I like building bikes (will be the fourth I've built), I ride mostly XC in the area with occasional trips out west, and want a lighter fast rig in a 2x10 setup.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Still using mostly stock on mine with a few heavier components like the CB Mallet pedals Blackspire Big Ring bash guard, 2.4 tires w/ liners and some hope bling

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Going to start building up mine tomorrow. Taking parts from my custom built Bear and swapping em over, going cheap but everything I put on it is durable as all get-out.

2004 Z1 FR qr20 130mm should fit the bike well enough
    Mavic 721 ceramics (never have had to true them in 6 years)
    Hayes HFX 180/160mm

Love the bigger rotor for fast sloppy downhill sections, all the power I could need.

Should be a great bike, running it a bit small @ 17" but it gives me the proper leverage on the front to pull it up and place it wherever it needs to go especially when in an emergency. Not the best size for XC but I think the Dawgs are supposed to be a bit longer then the Bear.

Looks like the setup on yours is going to be light & fast, should make a great XC rig that can be punished.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    UPDATE!! Hayes Prime Pro's FINALLY came in, she is complete and ridable! I need to tune he suspension, but the drive train shifts like a dream and the brakes were plug an play.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona Dawg Deluxe Rebuild-img-20110606-00039.jpg  

Kona Dawg Deluxe Rebuild-img-20110606-00040.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Looks AWESOME!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post
    Got some money burning a hole in my pocket so I'm looking at rebuilding my 2008 Dawg.

Here's what I'm thinking

Frame: 2008 Dawg Deluxe (scandium frame)
    Wheels: Fulcrum Red Metal 1 XL (or Crank Brothers Cobalt)
    Crank: SRAM XX 2x10 42/28T
    Cassette: SRAM XX Dome 11-36
    Front Derailleur: SRAM XX
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM XX SGS
    Brakes: Hayes Prime Expert 160mm rotor
    Seatpost FSA SL-K carbon
    Saddle: Fi'zi:k Gobi XM
    Fork: Manitou Minute 140 w/MILO
    stem: FSA SL-K (or CB Iodine 2 or Easton Haven)
    handle bar: FSA XC-190 (or CB Iodine 11 or Easton Haven Carbon)
    Shifters: SRAM XX MatchMaker

The changes are mostly because I like building bikes (will be the fourth I've built), I ride mostly XC in the area with occasional trips out west, and want a lighter fast rig in a 2x10 setup.
    Couple changes since I originally posted the spec list:

Brakes Hayes Prime Pro with 2-piece floating rotors
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    Stem: Thomson X-4
    Handlebar: Crankbrothers Cobalt 11 Carbon
    Pedals: Crankbrothers Eggbeaters 3

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post
    UPDATE!! Hayes Prime Pro's FINALLY came in, she is complete and ridable! I need to tune he suspension, but the drive train shifts like a dream and the brakes were plug an play.
    Nice build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lookin Good! Just finished my 08 Dawg biuld with mostly old high end parts from an earlier 02 Bear build. Yours is certainly looking lighter than mine lol. Anyway, curious if you'll have a similar experience to me. I'm 170 lbs with gear and I noticed that the rear RP2 was way over damped in terms of comression, felt like I couldnt get the shock to full travel with the proper sag, Propedal was useless as the shock wouldnt bob with it off. I ended up replacing the rear shock with a Medium tune compression and rebound (middle lines on the Rebound and comression stickers on the bottom sides of the shock) This setup allowed me to get full travel and better suspension action, allowed Propedal to make a difference and still allows me to add air pressure for big hit days without bottoming. World of difference. hope you RP2 works well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I just sold off my 02 Bear and am looking to get something new.
    Trying to decide between the 09 Dawgma, 2010 Dawg, or 2011 Tanuki.
    Would need to upgrade the fork on all of them.
    Also, for the rear shock, how's the RockShox Monarc 3.1 on the Dawgma compared to the Kona/Fastrax shock on the others?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Smile

Nice build! Great job. I'm building up a 2008 Dawg Deluxe NOS frame I picked up on ebay. Wuz wondering what size rear shock did u use?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Shock size is 7.875x2.0

Firm compression tune was stock, medium rebound. Although im 160lbs and dont do drops like I used,to and found,the medium compression more to my liking, but soft on non transition jumps or drops.