Thread: Kona clothing

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Kona clothing

Hey,

I bought a Kona Splice this year. My first bike since I was a kid. I have really enjoyed riding and I really like the bike. I thought it would be cool to get a Kona shirt to support the manufacturer of a bike I enjoy. I went to Konaworld.com and had the option of purchasing one black t-shirt or a variety of two socks. What's up? Is this all they ever offer? Disappointing.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I totally agree! In fact, after going to their site and being disappointed I emailed them suggesting the make a line of t-shirts.

Kona is silly to not have them... guys like us would pay them to advertise the brand!
    Please visit my bike blog! And if you click a few banner ads, I wouldn't complain!
    http://realworldbiking.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Did they reply to your email?

mtbr member
    Not yet and probably won't. I emailed earlier in the year with other suggestion and did not hear back then either.
    Please visit my bike blog! And if you click a few banner ads, I wouldn't complain!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    first of all... glad you like the splice!

I think entry level konas are some of the nicest entry level bikes for their value around. and the splice is very capable for something that is primarily a path bike.

second of all... kona is a relatively small brand... consider it rare that you can buy any kind of clothing. is the black shirt not to your liking? if not, maybe look on ebay or forums for industry goodies. most of the shirts that smaller companies like kona print are for promo/press events like seaotter or interbike or other tradeshows. i'm sure someone in the industry would be willing to part with something like that if you could just source it.

i'd get the black shirt and then keep your ear to the rail with a local kona dealer. if you throw a couple beers or tip money the way of your lbs guys they are usually pretty easy to coerce into looking out for such things.

mtbr member
    cc700,
    Maybe I am brain-dead but I did not see any clothing on Kona's site. Yes, would love the black shirt.
    If I am looking in the wrong area of the site, would you mind sending the link? Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by coopdad View Post
    cc700,
    Maybe I am brain-dead but I did not see any clothing on Kona's site. Yes, would love the black shirt.
    If I am looking in the wrong area of the site, would you mind sending the link? Thanks
    it's not on the website because they are mostly sold out

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Apparel is a tough thing for a co like Kona to justify. To break even, they'd need pretty high sales numbers, and it really does not promote their brand.

Branded merchandise is more to keep the current fans happy, but in the end it's pretty irrelevant.

mtbr member
    Back in the day, Kona used to make all kinds of soft goods (hats, beanies, hoodies, t-shirts, riding apparel, kneepads, etc.) They also used to have a frame-shop where every year there was at least one frame that was a little bananas (bikehotrod, The 'A', LeRoi) as well as the classics (steel Explosif, Scandium frames).

They also used to have a pretty diverse bike lineup and some BMX bikes.

Bottom line is that the bicycle industry is tough, and the economy isn't exactly booming...so small Co.'s like Kona have had to strip down to a core business. It sucks, but that's life.

Also, over the years, I've found that the best way to get in touch with the good folks at Kona Bikes Co. is to use the owner's area forums.

mtbr member
    NS, I think you are right if they are looking at only making money from the shirts. But as a marketing tool, shirts are a good option (at least they were for my company). Let's say Kona makes a measly 50¢ per shirt after expenses and sold 1000 shirts. Yes $500 is not a huge "profit", but there will be 1000 people out there walking around with Kona billboards on their chest. There is not many forms of marketing/advertising that you can actually make money.

So from Kona's perspective, it would mainly be for building brand recognition. But for people like us, it builds brand loyalty.

My business we were able to print small runs of 144 for less than $6 each, two colors on a colored shirt. We sell them for the "can't refuse" price of $10 all day long. In the beginning we only offered large and extra large and very few people complained. Of course later we offered many sizes.
    Last edited by coopdad; 11-10-2013 at 06:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Scored this little gem about a year and a half ago, it was just hanging on the wall of my LBS gathering dust.
    Got it on the cheap too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kona clothing-_0029.jpg  

Kona clothing-_0028.jpg  

Too soon old-Too late smart!

mtbr member
    Sweet!

mtbr member
    Ok Kona's store website says it will be updated for december 1st, so maybe they will be uploading some cool threads for true fans like us to buy for christmas presents!

KONA BIKES | STORE

mtbr member
    Just in time for Santa to swing by and pick me up something on his way to Tennessee!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    As mentioned above, Kona used to have lots of nice clothing just couple of years ago. I understood that there wasn't enough sales for those and they decided to simplify the business. I've also heard rumours of cooperation with Dakine, so maybe we get some really nice Dakine clothes with Kona logos on them in future, that would be nice!

Noršwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
    As mentioned above, Kona used to have lots of nice clothing just couple of years ago. I understood that there wasn't enough sales for those and they decided to simplify the business. I've also heard rumours of cooperation with Dakine, so maybe we get some really nice Dakine clothes with Kona logos on them in future, that would be nice!
    That'd be awesome!
    Endura also makes nice stuff, I almost exclusively buy their mtb clothing now.