Thread: Kona Caldera

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Kona Caldera

Any opinions on a 2005 Kona Caldera hardtail?
    -thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by giantbiker12
    Any opinions on a 2005 Kona Caldera hardtail?
    -thanks
    Lots of great components for a thousand dollar bike, more specifically hydraulic disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedPA
    Lots of great components for a thousand dollar bike, more specifically hydraulic disc brakes.
    I also love the color for 2005 LOL!

And He was Not

I bought a Frame

the geometry is great, but the 7000 series Alu is VERY stiff. This frame should last a long time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The frame stiffness took some getting used to. I put a tubeless tire on the rear, which helped. Weighing in at 30lbs. the bike is on the heavy side for a hardtail, but it's very rugged; sort a cross between BMX & XC. As mentioned earlier, it comes with a very nice component group for 1K; but heed my advice and immediately upgrade the stock seatpost if it's the "Kona Thumb" (see it on the componet review page).
    The geometry is a laid back XC for excellent control over highly technical sections. Climbs like a squirrel and you don't need to worry about race-day frame frailty.
    Last edited by Spinny; 02-24-2005 at 09:46 AM. Reason: additional input

And He was Not

Just a FYI

I got my down to 24.5 lbs, with a Talas fork on the front also running 2.3 tires and some solid parts. I bought mine as a frame only deal. I've very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinny
    but heed my advice and immediately upgrade the stock seatpost if it's the "Kona Thumb"
    The Caldera '04 that I just looked at after reading these posts has a 27mm post (Tahoma) that is definitely not a gimpy break-in-two post like those mentioned in the hardware reviews. Did they change it for '05 to something worse, or did I just luck out on what was included with this '04?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nafai
    The Caldera '04 that I just looked at after reading these posts has a 27mm post (Tahoma) that is definitely not a gimpy break-in-two post like those mentioned in the hardware reviews. Did they change it for '05 to something worse, or did I just luck out on what was included with this '04?
    My '04 came with the junky Kona post that bent 3 degrees in less than a month. I don't know anything about the Tahoma.
    I also don't know how Enoch could possibly get his bike down to 24.5 lbs, unless the '05 frames are much lighter. I upgraded almost everything on mine except the Marz shock: LX hollowtech cranks, Sram 990 drive, eggbeaters, Thompson seatpost, Mavic223/XT wheels, ti-rail Cannondale race seat and the thing weighs 30 lbs. Upgrading the 5lb. Marz EXR PRO to a Fox Talas would only knock off a pound and a half. Maybe another pound or so with tires ligher than tubeless.
    I don't mind the weight though, as this is my all weather basher/training bike, saving my high-end Cannondale for XC epics and races. Also, as Kona is a local company here, I seemed to have noticed a different, higher level of appreciation from alot of folks when seen riding one on the local trails.

And He was Not

Here's The Build on Mine

I also don't know how Enoch could possibly get his bike down to 24.5 lbs, unless the '05 frames are much lighter. I upgraded almost everything on mine except the Marz shock: LX hollowtech cranks, Sram 990 drive, eggbeaters, Thompson seatpost, Mavic223/XT wheels, ti-rail Cannondale race seat and the thing weighs 30 lbs. Upgrading the 5lb. Marz EXR PRO to a Fox Talas would only knock off a pound and a half. Maybe another pound or so with tires ligher than tubeless.
    19 inch 05 Caldera
    Eastom Carb Bars
    King Headset
    Easton Carb Post
    WTB Ti Seat
    Avid Ti Lever W/ Mech. Brakes
    XTR shifters and Drivetrain
    FoxTalas Fork
    Stans 355gr rims w/ King Hubs14/15 spokes(Built by Dave Thomas)1490gr for the pair
    Hutch.Mosquito Airlight tires 2.3 No Tubes
    Tompson Stem.
    Remember this was a Frame Up

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Well, ok, maybe you have evicted five pounds...

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    19 inch 05 Caldera
    Eastom Carb Bars
    King Headset
    Easton Carb Post
    WTB Ti Seat
    Avid Ti Lever W/ Mech. Brakes
    XTR shifters and Drivetrain
    FoxTalas Fork
    Stans 355gr rims w/ King Hubs14/15 spokes(Built by Dave Thomas)1490gr for the pair
    Hutch.Mosquito Airlight tires 2.3 No Tubes
    Tompson Stem.
    Remember this was a Frame Up
    But why would you put these high-end components on this frame? The phrase "pearls on swine" comes to mind.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with this frame. And should he ever decide to get a different frame, it's not like those components are all going to go "noooooo, I can't go on a new frame!!!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mine is 26lbs, with no XTR or Carbon. 30lbs seems pretty heavy, did you weight it with a full water bottle? Mine was also a frame up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Kona Caldera 05

I have a 2005 Kona Caldera, 17 inch; got it Sept. 30, 2004. I am a new, recreational rider (since June 2004, on a borrowed bike). I love my Caldera... the geometry is comfortable, it climbs well, my hands don't go numb because I'm not leaned over too far. It handles very well. Everything about it is perfect, except...

I've had significant problems with the Shi*mano XT rear derailleur and Shi*mano chain. With about 30 miles on it, one side of a chain pin pulled loose, which splayed the link apart. This then hung up in the derailleur cage the next time the broken link passed through, which sent the derailleur into the spokes. Joe at Kona told me this would NOT be covered under Kona's warranty. Fortunately this was an easy fix: the derailleur was fine; it wasn't even bent; but I had to buy a new hanger ($20). I replaced the chain with a Sram and haven't had any problems ($20).

Then last weekend (Feb. 27, 2005), with approx. 300 miles on it, the derailleur broke at the top hinge. This happened while I was riding on smooth, flat fire road; I was not shifting at the time. The chain was in the small ring up front and the second or third largest out back. I went to order a new XT derailleur but learned the stock derailleur on my 2005 Caldera was last made in 2002 (Shimano RD M750), from the pre-rapid rise era (you can see for yourself at http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=45402). I decided not to replace my broken 2002 derailleur with a new 2002 model for $58.64 + S/H, but rather to 'upgrade' to Sram X.9. I found the X.9 with shifters online for $100 (http://www.blueskycycling.com/view_p...php?pid=630_38). Now that I have the Sram X.9, I've discovered it was made in mid-2004, so at least it's a new product based on newer technology. I also had to buy a new derailleur hanger, again, as the new replacement bent when the derailleur broke ($20). The new hanger hasn't come yet so I can't comment on the Sram yet.

Yesterday I emailed Joe @ konaworld for some answers. I'll let you know what he says.

Bottom line: I love my Caldera. Kona makes a quality product. BUT it cost me $1,000, and I've had to spend $160 replacing parts that should last FAR longer than 300 miles.

I have a feeling the problems will be limited to Shi*mano.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Hey, I love this frame. I'll buy another one someday

I rode it to and on Galbraith Mtn. for 3.5 hours on Thurs., 1 hour on Fri., and 3 hours today. What a rush! I'm on a big endorphin high right now. I'll ride it for an hour or so tomorrow, too.
    So now, after reading your posts, I went and gauged my bathroom scale using some reliably produced York brand barbell weights that are incrementally marked.
    Using the same spot on the scale and the same spot on the floor, my bike--after three re-measures (without waterbottle)--weighs 29-30 pounds.
    I wish it didn't, but until they start to make bike frames out of that stuff that comes off of UFO crashes, I'll have to settle for the fact that reputably-produced heavier frames tend to be stronger. As long as everyone else is riding the same--give or take 4 lbs.--I can deal with it.
    But I still wouldn't put race-day gear on this thing...
    Not that there's anything wrong with that!

And He was Not

Because

But why would you put these high-end components on this frame? The phrase "pearls on swine" comes to mind.
    I never had much confidence in thin tubed race bikes when decending rough trails at warp speed in the N.C.mountains. The tubes on the Caldera are straight gauge. I wouldn't even call it tubing, I think it is more like Pipe. The bike has good tire clearance, good geometry, TOUGH as nails, and weighs a little less than steel. Frame was $200. This makes for a very inexpensive, yet dependable All Mountain type Hardtail that's not too heavy. Expensive frames that are light are not always the best alternative when riding in rough conditions.

The correct phrase is "pearls before the swine" Matthew 7:6 Not "pearls on swine"

I guess one mans trash is another mans treasure. You think about it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    As I mentioned below, I wanted to let you know what I heard from Joe @ Kona. Nada. Nothing. He never responded. I'm not sure why. Also, I've now got over 100 miles on the SRAM stuff and I love it! I know it's not much but by this time with the Shi*mano I was already having problems.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Hopper
    I have a 2005 Kona Caldera, 17 inch; got it Sept. 30, 2004. I am a new, recreational rider (since June 2004, on a borrowed bike). I love my Caldera... the geometry is comfortable, it climbs well, my hands don't go numb because I'm not leaned over too far. It handles very well. Everything about it is perfect, except...

I've had significant problems with the Shi*mano XT rear derailleur and Shi*mano chain. With about 30 miles on it, one side of a chain pin pulled loose, which splayed the link apart. This then hung up in the derailleur cage the next time the broken link passed through, which sent the derailleur into the spokes. Joe at Kona told me this would NOT be covered under Kona's warranty. Fortunately this was an easy fix: the derailleur was fine; it wasn't even bent; but I had to buy a new hanger ($20). I replaced the chain with a Sram and haven't had any problems ($20).

Then last weekend (Feb. 27, 2005), with approx. 300 miles on it, the derailleur broke at the top hinge. This happened while I was riding on smooth, flat fire road; I was not shifting at the time. The chain was in the small ring up front and the second or third largest out back. I went to order a new XT derailleur but learned the stock derailleur on my 2005 Caldera was last made in 2002 (Shimano RD M750), from the pre-rapid rise era (you can see for yourself at http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=45402). I decided not to replace my broken 2002 derailleur with a new 2002 model for $58.64 + S/H, but rather to 'upgrade' to Sram X.9. I found the X.9 with shifters online for $100 (http://www.blueskycycling.com/view_p...php?pid=630_38). Now that I have the Sram X.9, I've discovered it was made in mid-2004, so at least it's a new product based on newer technology. I also had to buy a new derailleur hanger, again, as the new replacement bent when the derailleur broke ($20). The new hanger hasn't come yet so I can't comment on the Sram yet.

Yesterday I emailed Joe @ konaworld for some answers. I'll let you know what he says.

Bottom line: I love my Caldera. Kona makes a quality product. BUT it cost me $1,000, and I've had to spend $160 replacing parts that should last FAR longer than 300 miles.

I have a feeling the problems will be limited to Shi*mano.

Good luck!