MrR
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Kona Cadabra 2010 weight doubts

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone of you ever weighed a Kona Cadabra 2010 (18"). I got my doubts about its weight, in the store I bought it, it weighed 13.6kg with some crappy flat pedals.

In the meantime I upgraded the brakes to Avid Elixir 9s, which are considerably ligher than the stock Deore M575 brakes. I also replaced the rotors with HS1 180mm Avid rotors. Then I also put some light flat pedals on it, Nukeproof Electrons, which are lighter than the pedals they put on it in the store for me, so I could make a short testride.

Then I borrowed my friend's weighing scale (a fish weighing scale, seems to be a pretty decent one), and when I weighed it, it showed me 14kg. So now I still don't know the weight. I know weight is just a number and a good physical condition is more important than a few grams less, yet I'd still would like to say below 14kg when I replace the seatpost by a dropper seatpost, which really should be on a Cadabra imo.

My question, can anyone give me more clarity about the weight? According Kona, the out of the box weight for the 2010 Cadabra is 29.5lbs.

Regards

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If I was selling fishing scales I'd err on the side of reading high...if I was selling scales to weigh bikes in shops...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have only ever weighed my 2011 Abra Cadabra by subtracting my body weight from the bathroom scale. Not very precise, but I put it at around 28lbs. So around 30lbs for the Cadabra sounds about right. Test the fish scale if you can by weighing a 15lb or 20lb barbell, since the weight of those is usually pretty accurate.

mtbr member
    Dropper posts weigh a ton, a lot more than the stock one.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I had a 2010 17" frame with stock Fox 150mm float built up as light as I could afford. 1400gm wheelset, 2.4 mutanos, XX crank, XT driveline, heavy BB7's w 180mm front rotor, carbon bar and post etc. Even with Ti eggbeaters it weighed 28.7 lbs on two different digital scales. Kona brochure weights are marketing nonsense.

That being said, the bike was a total blast to ride up and down whatever i tried.