Thread: Kona Blast

mtbr member
    May 2005

Kona Blast

A friend of mine just bought a 05 Blast and she was complaining about the weight, I looked on kona's site and the blast is 30+ pounds, which is really heavy for a hard tail. Anyway I was wondering if any blast owners or any xc riders knew of enexpensive ways to lighten it up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Replacing the discs with V brakes would help. Cheap discs can be heavy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

30 lbs is not that heavy

If you were to weigh most manufacturers in that price range the Blast would not be that heavy. I bought my son a 04 FireMountain and trust I picked up many brands and gave them the comparison weight test. The Kona was definately lighter than most. Hell my 7 year olds little 24" wheeled Specialized HardRock is about 27.5 and that was a lot lighter than most kids bikes out there. Saving weight is an expensive proposition. It would be cheaper and more sensible to trade it in on a Caldera or better yet a Kula! It's really bits of the entire package that adds up. A few ounces here, a couple there. To save a few pounds you may as well replace the bike. Personally I think the disc brakes are worth the weight they may add. Just my .02
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardDog
    Personally I think the disc brakes are worth the weight they may add. Just my .02
    Yeah, I agree. The all weather performace of discs is far better than V's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Those shimano mechanical discs are heavy as is the fork. Swapping to hydro discs and a lighter fork would easily shave 2 lbs off, but those are expensive upgrades. The tires that come on those bikes are also heavy, around 900 grams each. Switching to a light weight knobbie or semi-slick can easily shave almost 2 lbs off, and thats rotating mass. Tires are a lot cheaper to replace.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Coping with weight too...

I just bought a Kona Cinder Cone weighing in at 28.1 pounds. My previous bike was 24 pounds and it's a noticeable difference. However, I love the hydrualic brakes and the weight seems only a problem lifting it into the SUV. Still, I'd like to lighten it some. I thought of the tires, going to Kevlar bead. I was also thinking of the seatpost. The crankset is also a possibility.