mtbr member

Kikapu Deluxe rebuild

I've decided to rebuild my 07 kikapu deluxe as a light XC bike. My other bike is a burly 6" intense and I'm wanting something more XC focused that I can take out for lunch rides and the like, nothing revolutionary as that was the kikapus original intent anyways.

I originally got the frame back in late 07 as a closeout from wheelworld. I was in college at the time, so I was on pretty tight budget and not exactly the most ideal space for building up a bike:
    Kikapu Deluxe rebuild-picture%25u00252520001.jpg

Yup, that's in my room on some cardboard. That build ended up like this:

Kikapu Deluxe rebuild-p1010069.jpg

The biggest mistake I made was getting the sun black eye rims that I believe came OE on the bike, they were only $69. ABSOLUTE garbage. Broke spokes, super flexy, and heavy. I learned my lesson on that one and dont skimp on wheels anymore . The cranks were some OE bontragers with a truvativ BB that wore out the bearings in no time. Drivetrain was a pretty even mix of LX/XT/XTR. Most of the cockpit and other pieces were cannibalized off previous bikes like my beloved schwinn rocket 88 (still one of the best bikes I've ever ridden). Being on a budget I learned how to scour fleabay and score deals on parts. That skill and the "where's the best deal" forum make it pretty easy do a decent build on the cheap.

Which brings me to current day. My original plan was just to upgrade the wheels, cranks, and any other parts that were worn or needed to be replaced. By the time I got done tearing it apart and looking it over I had just the frame, seatpost, and saddle left.....the whole "well if i'm gonna replace this, I might as well get a new one of those too" game quickly took over.

Kikapu Deluxe rebuild-img_0017.jpg

I'm especially proud of that WTB saddle with the Kona logo. Also a closeout on wheelworld from back in the day. The rocket V is my favorite seat by far and the blue panels and kona logo just top it off for me.

Up next, actually putting some parts on it and getting started with the build.
    great minds think a bike

mtbr member
    My workspace has come a long ways since college:

Kikapu Deluxe rebuild-img_0015.jpg

Proper tools and a workstand make a huge difference, and are much appreciated. My stand is the Topeak one with the built in scale, pretty handy for...well, weighing stuff...

I punched out the old ball bearing/race headset in favor of a sealed catridge cane creek 40 thats in the mail. Cut 4 slices in a copper pipe and made my own headset cup remover that worked perfectly.
    Kikapu Deluxe rebuild-headset%25u00252520tool.jpg

I'm all about supporting the LBS, if they're cool, but I prefer to be self sufficient. Short of chasing/facing cutting tools, it's not too hard or expensive to acquire or make your own toolset that can cover 99% of what you'd run in to.

Back on track though, I smeared some anti seize in the BB threads and put in the XT bottom bracket. Not too much to mess up here, just make sure your get your spacers right for your shell width and hand thread in to avoid cross threading as the drive side is lefty-tightey . I'm a huge fan of the external cups for a number of reasons.
    Kikapu Deluxe rebuild-img_0018.jpg

I decided to go with SLX cranks over XT as the weight differnce is marginal (maybe 40g or so?), and I was able to find them for over $100 less than XT was going for, Jenon has them without the BB for $89, pretty good price. I think they look better than XT too. I was debating going to a 2X10, but there's a few miles of road to my closest trailhead and I didn't want to give up the big ring, and again not really enough weight savings to justify it.
    Kikapu Deluxe rebuild-img_0020.jpg

I had to shim the front derailleur to fit the 31.8mm seat tube, luckily I had a couple spares and didn't have to order anything. It was a take off from a new bike so I just used a penny to get my spacing instead of the fancy shimano "pro-align" sticker. I would've loved to bolt on one of the new XTR rear mechs with the spring tension adjustment lever, but they're still waaaaay pricey, so I went with "just" the XT shadow.
    Kikapu Deluxe rebuild-img_0022.jpg

Kikapu Deluxe rebuild-img_0021.jpg

The rear shock and headset should be here any day now. Wheels should be coming in next week, and hopefully I can find a fork soon since so much work depends on it. Any fork suggestions? It's gotta be 100mm travel, top candidates are a fox float or a RS SID.
    great minds think a bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nice garage, nice motos.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Kikapu Deluxe rebuild

I think you should go with a 100mm fox 32 fit rlc with 15mm thru axle. Look around on CL, you can find some good deals

mtbr member
    Today I pressed in the headset:
    Kikapu Deluxe rebuild-img_0027.jpg

I picked up the aluminum spacers on ebay for a 1.5 headset I had to do a few years ago, otherwise I would've just stacked fender washers. I really don't see the need for the expensive park version, at least not for a home shop. A fine thread on the threaded rod would be nice too instead of that big coarse grade I have, but still no issues really.

I saw some thread where a guy was asking if a home repair stand was worth it....um yeah..I just flipped it over and pressed in the bottom cups. I LOVE being able to put whatever part of the bike I'm working on at whatever height I want. Sure beats working on some cardboard on the floor anyways....
    Kikapu Deluxe rebuild-img_0028.jpg

The new RP23 shock was a takeoff from a new Ibis and didn't have the bushing in the lower eyelet. I wanted to do it right so I ordered the tool on ebay that's sold by mtbr member "mtnbiker4life". Couldn't be happier with it. Worked flawlessly, and with just a careful use of a hammer and no bench vise (since I don't have one). Went ahead and punched out and replaced the upper eyelet one too.
    Kikapu Deluxe rebuild-img_0029.jpg

My wheels also showed up today. Used a 15% of coupon at wiggle and they were here in 5 days, from the UK!! Impressive. Chose the crosstrails because of their very competitive weight and adaptable hubs let me be flexible with the fork. They got a few improvements for 2013 that sealed the deal for me as well. I think they look pretty sharp with the bladed spokes too.
    Kikapu Deluxe rebuild-img_0030.jpg

I chose SLX over XT for the cassette again for the same reason as the cranks, a mere 30 gram difference isn't worth almost $50 more for me. I'm giving the Ice Tech rotors a try since they were on sale at bluesky, we'll see what all the hype is about.
    great minds think a bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guggas View Post
    I think you should go with a 100mm fox 32 fit rlc with 15mm thru axle. Look around on CL, you can find some good deals
    Hehe, ya, thanks man! Looks pretty good,

Kikapu Deluxe rebuild-kona%25u00252520almost.jpg

Just waiting on the rear brake, coming from CRC in the UK so it's taking awhile. Should be here any day now though.

Still not so sure how I feel about the white stem/bars. Pretty happy with everyting so far.
    great minds think a bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Did you ever finish? I just picked up an 06 King Kikapu and am going to rebuild it. It has the Black Eyes too, and was thinking of replacing them...how do you like the cross trails?