Rub it............

Kikapu Deluxe Build up

I started by first bike build. Its based off an 07 Kikapu Deluxe. Specs as follows.

07 Kikapu Deluxe w/Fox Float R - weight - 5 lbs 10 oz.
    Rock Shox Reba Race 100mm
    Race Face Deus headset
    Titech Hellbent riser bars
    Titech Hellbent seatpost
    WTB Speed V saddle
    FSA Afterburner crankset w/MegaExo BB
    Mavic Crossride wheels w/ Fire XC Pro (temporary)
    FSA OS-150 stem - +/- 6 100mm
    SRAM PG 980 cassette
    Headset spacers to get final height - reason for uncut fork in pictures
    Chainrings - Not selected yet - planning on Black Spires or Middleburns
    SRAM X9 shifters
    SRAM X7 F & R derailleurs
    Avid Speed Dial 7 levers

Yet to install

Avid BB7 185 f - 160 r
    SRAM PG991 chain

Last edited by frdfandc; 05-08-2008 at 01:18 PM.

Team Cspine
    I'm surprised no one commented!

That's a great looking build, I'm curious if you have an idea what it weighs?
    Sorry what?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Really nice looking bike.

I almost bought a Kikapu Deluxe for my recent build, but ended up buying a The King frame to save a few grams. Both frames have the same geometry and similar Fox shocks (and color scheme). Based in my experience you can expect a very fast bike, stable at high speed.

I've mounted an 80mm fork in mine to make it a bit more XC oriented, so I don't ride mine very aggressively downhill. With a Reba I suppose yours will be well suited for general trail riding.

Here is a pic:

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/1318/img2752nh0.jpg

Rub it............
    Right now the Reba is setup for 100mm (I think - need to double check) but will go down to 80mm with the spacer installed.

I'm still debating on the tires. Might end up with the Conti Speed Kings or the WTB ExiWolf's to replace the Panaracers. Not really digging the red side wall on the white/orange bike. They look better on my Blue Haro.

I'll weigh it tonight since I just got my new Blackspire chainrings installed. It will be close to complete build (just need brakes & cables)

Rub it............
    Well, I have almost everything installed except for the disc brakes, cables, grips, chain, derailleur housings and the pop lock control.

Bike weighed in at 26 lbs 2 oz. This is with the Mavic Crossride wheelset with Panaracer Fire XC Pro's on it. I will probably have a lighter wheelset and different skins on them, so total should be around 27lbs complete. Not bad for a budget XC build IMHO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    the kikapu is a great bike, I just ordered my second kik frame, I decided I wanted a size bigger. But my 18" kik weighed in at 26lb even and was extremely stable and was a climbing monster. you are going to love this bike.

mtbr member
    Very nice indeed - let us know when you've broken it in.

I've been riding a Kikapu for 18 months and love it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/DrArnott...45288205453490
    My ride Kona Kikapu 2006 (Gold) - Fox RP3 - Reba Race - Race Face - FSA Carbon- Fire XCPros.

mtbr member

nice, how bout some finished pics?

Looks great but a little naked unfinished. I just built an 07 Kikapu Deluxe this March, gotta love that tax return.

Here's my set up:
    19 frame
    Marzocchi XC700
    Fox Float R
    Maxxis Ignitors 2.35
    Sun ds2 rims on deore hubs
    08 Race Face: cranks, seat post, stem, and bar
    XT Shadow rear mech
    XT front mech
    XT cassette
    Hays Nine Hydros 6in.
    Cane Creek headset
    ODI Lock-ons
    WTB seat
    Crank Bros. 50/50x pedals
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Javahound, very nice kik. I have been debating on getting a float R from santa cruz for my kik, do you ever wish for the pro pedal adjustment? And how is the XC700 my friend has a kik and is thinking about getting the same fork for his ride.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Hey there, I've never ridden with a lever propedal shock so, my opinion might not be all that important. This is my second kikapu, had a 2005 that was equipped with the plain jane float. Neither bikes seem to have any discernible pedal bob except when out of the saddle in a high gear. My buddy has a 2007 King with a RP23, he loves it as long as he remembers to flip the lever going down. As for the XC 700, great fork, the stock spring was a little soft for me (210lbs.) and I didn't feel comfortable with 60psi of preload so I swapped out the stock oil for Honda Racing Showa 10w, that slowed the compression to my liking and I run about 30 psi for preload/sag adj. It has that great Marzocchi feel, eating up the chatter and soaking up the bigger hits, You can find them on sale for like $250. my only complaint is why put a lockout (TST2) on a fork equipped with ETA, doesn't make much sense to me.

Rub it............
    Well, she is finally completed. Sans pedals she weighs in at 29 lbs 2 oz with wheels/tires borrowed from my hardtail. With new wheels/tires I should be able to get her to around 27.5 lbs.

Only thing left to do is to find optimal handlebar length, stem height and adjust brakes & derailleurs. Planning on putting the maiden voyage next weekend.

Java, could you take a picture of your top tube and the routing of the cables along it. I'm not digging how my brake cable sits along the top tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The cable routing problem...you can get these adhesive, plastic bits of cable routing. Just a slot for the cable or hose with a sticky backing that stays put on the top tube. Stick them in the gaps of the welded routing to take up the slack. I did that with my Kikapu on the rear brake hose.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member

cable routing

When I built mine I stopped by my lbs and picked up the little slotted plastic inserts for the brake cable. They are kind of a pain to install: pop them in the cable guides on the frame, turn the slot so it matches the slot in the guide and then push, twist, cuss and push some more till the cable pops in, rotate the plastic thingy so as to close off the slot. Even after all that my rear brake cable seems to have a mind of it's own and it doesn't want to lay flat on the frame and it dorks out to the side. I put some rubberized self adhesive tape on the brake cable so it doesn't slap and scratch the top tube.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Good job! looks great

Hey frfandc, Your Kikapu looks kickass I took mine out for a three hour run this morning with a couple friends...had a blast. Your Gonna LOVE Your Bike. As for stem length and bar height...as a reference I'm 6'0" (just under) I'm ridding a 19" frame, 90mm stem and a Deus low riser bar 1" rise. I tried a 110mm stem and it was too stretched out. The 90mm seems to liven up the steering a bit and the reach is a bunch more comfortable. As for the bar I'm thinking a bit more rise would suit my all mountain/trail bike style a little more. I'm Leaning towards a Race Face Next XC Carbon Hi-rise 1.5" , just have to convince the wife I "need" a $100 handle bar.

Rub it............
    Thanks for the pics and the compliment. Can't wait to give it a good ride.

My brake cable is ok in the center of the tube. It has one of those 1/2 bosses that you can use a zip tie to hold down the cable. Its just the ends where it moves around.

I'm running a 100mm riser with a Titec Hell Bent Riser bar. I'm 6'2" with shoes on, and I also have the 19 inch frame. Right now its just the actual height position of the stem on the fork tube. I think I should be ok where its at for now.

And need to get some of those rubber thing for the brake cable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nice looking bike. I so miss my Kikapu...

Its got what plants crave
    I just built up a King Kikapu myself.

Fox DHX Air 5.0 rear shock (will do for now)
    Fox 32 Van (130mm of travel, a bit much)
    Cane Creek ZONOS tubeless wheelset
    Maxxis HR and Ignitor 2.35 UST, being replaced soon
    Azonic CF1 riser bars, cheapo knockoff stem
    Oldschool SRAM levers, Avid BB7s front and rear
    SRAM X7 shifters/derailler, LX front D
    SRAM cassette
    Race Face XC x-type crankset

No clue what it weighs in at. Not a super weight weenie build, the whole bike cost me less than 600 bucks to build.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sweet

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    nice ride mate. I have a kikapu deluxe 07 stock but as parts wear out I have been upgrading mine. I am looking at putting on the rock shox revelation fork, but a little concerned about the travel... any advice?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Guys.

Your Kikapu's look sweet. I've been looking for either a Kik, Turner Flux, Ventana El Saltamontes. The Kona is my first choice though since they're the lowest price of the bunch for good quality. The other three are mucho dollars. They're all fairly similar in geometry and I'm a big fan of the FSR-style 4-bar linkage, not into VPP's.

Are there more than one model of Kikapu? Any good places I should look to find one? What's the effective top tube length on the small? I'm trying to stay within 22" to 22.4".

I'm planning to build with Crank Bros. Cobalts, Fox Float or Reba, XT drivetrain.
    We Ride In God's Country!