mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Just under 6'1", 34.75" inseam - What size Satori (19" or 20")?

19" Satori
    24" top tube
    16.9" reach
    45.8" wheelbase

20" Satori
    24.5" top tube
    17.3" reach
    46.3" wheelbase

Here are some comparable bikes:
    Turner Sultan - Turner's size chart has me between a Large (16.3" reach) and XL (17.2" reach), so it seems like the 16.9" reach on the 19" Satori would split the difference nicely
    Yeti SB-95 - Yeti's size chart puts me on a Large which has a reach of 16.7", so very similar to the 19" Satori
    Transition Bandit 29 - Transition's size chart puts me on a Large with a 23.5" top tube and 16.3" reach. Some would argue that this is too small, especially with a short (60mm) stem, but Transition stands behind this recommendation (as do some other riders that were skeptical at first). The XL has a 17.2" reach, so like the Turner, the 16.9" reach of the 19" Satori splits the difference nicely between the two sizes
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LT - Same story as the Sultan and Bandit 29. SC size chart has me between a Large (16.3" reach) and XL (17.2" reach)

Any thoughts from current Satori riders? I would be using a stem in the 50-70mm range and my arms are average to slightly under average length for my height.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm 5-10, 32" inseam riding the 18" with a 23.5" TT. Just swapped a 70mm stem for a 60, the 70 had too high a rise. Also had to get some low rise bars. But now the thing is sweet. I have a Fox 140 Talas on the front so that might have raised the front a bit over stock. Only a few rides on it so far but damn-lol. Been riding a Spearfish so I forgot how much fun a longer travel bike is in the rough stuff.

I'd say go try a few in the parking lot to see what fits you best. Doesnt even have to be the same bike, just similar travel and geometry

Tom

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I'm 6'2" ride my saddle at 83cm (high for my height) and ride a 22" Satori with a 70mm stem. fits me perfect. If I got the 20" I would need a 100mm stem, and that was just too long for this bike.
    Our Shops in Fort Collins and Boulder www.fullcyclebikes.com -- doing the mountainbike thing since '82

get down!
    What's the stand over on your 22"?

At 6'2" is that an issue?

I ride a 20" with 100mm stem and would assume the same size satori would be appropriate. I'm also 6'2"
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

tg
    mtbr member
    I am just under 6'2 and ride a 20' Satori. Flippin love this bike.

get down!
    ^ what size stem?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I always consider the old rule of thumb to buy the smallest size that is comfortable to minimize weight and max stiffness. I am 5'11" with a 32 inch inseam. I have an 18. I went with the 18 vs. 19 because the seat post height is normal. I switched to a 100MM stem. (i thought that the OEM stem was 90mm) For me this is perfect, comfortable reach and it put more weight on the front tire for cornering. I also love this flippin bike.

tg
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    ^ what size stem?
    100 mm stem

Kaj
    mtbr member
    What's the stand over on your 22"?

At 6'2" is that an issue?

I ride a 20" with 100mm stem and would assume the same size satori would be appropriate. I'm also 6'2"
    The stand over does not change much from 20 to 22. For most people 6'1 or 6'2 the 20" is best. I just run my saddle high, and like a 50mm stem, so the 22 made more sense for me.
    Our Shops in Fort Collins and Boulder www.fullcyclebikes.com -- doing the mountainbike thing since '82

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    The stand over does not change much from 20 to 22. For most people 6'1 or 6'2 the 20" is best. I just run my saddle high, and like a 50mm stem, so the 22 made more sense for me.
    10-4. Thanks to both of you. The reach is a little less on the Raijin and I run that with a 100mm stem, probably could do the Large Satori with a 90mm stem and call it good. Would prefer a smaller wheelbase as well.

Hopefully the local shop will take a trade in on this extra 20" Raijin frame I have.

mtbr member

Hopefully the local shop will take a trade in on this extra 20" Raijin frame I have.
    Why the 2 Raijin frames? One to rock, one to stock?

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Why the 2 Raijin frames? One to rock, one to stock?
    I am a whore! I was going to build one up geared and one rigid SS, now I'm aiming at the Satori since I have never had a full suspension bike before. I also decided to keep my Salsa La Cruz Ti and just finished rebuilding it tonight.

I've been going through a lot of BS lately in my personal life and have been making some rash decisions. One day I'll get it figured out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Go with the 20" and put a 60 or 70mm stem on it. You'll have a blast.