Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    454

    ... and if we just ... Just ordered a 05 Dawg Dee-Lux today!

    WoooHooo! Just put a down payment on a new Dawg Dee-Lux! Man I'm gonna lose sleep for the next 2 weeks waiting for this baby. I ordered a blue one and not that ugly creme they show in the catalog. Apparently the early feedback to Kona was not favorable on that creme color. Anyway this is my first real mountain bike. I am upgrading from a 7 year old Daimond Back Topenga SE hardtail with a 2" travel POC fork. I'll have to post a pic in the "Introduce yourself thread"!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    450
    Cool! Good to hear they changed the colors. So are they actually offering a choice of two different colors, or did they drop the creme entirely? Any pics of the color?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardDog
    WoooHooo! Just put a down payment on a new Dawg Dee-Lux! Man I'm gonna lose sleep for the next 2 weeks waiting for this baby. I ordered a blue one and not that ugly creme they show in the catalog. Apparently the early feedback to Kona was not favorable on that creme color. Anyway this is my first real mountain bike. I am upgrading from a 7 year old Daimond Back Topenga SE hardtail with a 2" travel POC fork. I'll have to post a pic in the "Introduce yourself thread"!
    I spoke too soon...here's the new color

    http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...9&parentid=182

    I still like my metalic blue/silver '03 Dawg's scheme better, but this looks a lot better then the creme.

  4. #4
    Faller - Expert Class
    Reputation: psinsyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    643

    Good job! Sweet!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardDog
    WoooHooo! Just put a down payment on a new Dawg Dee-Lux! Man I'm gonna lose sleep for the next 2 weeks waiting for this baby. I ordered a blue one and not that ugly creme they show in the catalog. Apparently the early feedback to Kona was not favorable on that creme color. Anyway this is my first real mountain bike. I am upgrading from a 7 year old Daimond Back Topenga SE hardtail with a 2" travel POC fork. I'll have to post a pic in the "Introduce yourself thread"!
    Congrats dude!! I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. About a week ago, I put my deposit down on a King Kikapu, to replace my Trek 3700 since @ mid-summer last year was the first season I got into the sport, and now I'm hooked. I definitely know what you mean about the loss of sleep! Can't wait to see the pics!!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by psinsyd
    Congrats dude!! I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. About a week ago, I put my deposit down on a King Kikapu, to replace my Trek 3700 since @ mid-summer last year was the first season I got into the sport, and now I'm hooked. I definitely know what you mean about the loss of sleep! Can't wait to see the pics!!
    You guys will be happy with your Kona's. I carry Kona, Giant, Rocky Mountain and Felts in my shop and by far the Kona's are my biggest MTB seller. Have fun with your new bikes.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    454

    The pics on the website don't do it justice

    Trust when I say the light blue looks a whole lot better in person. It looks real flat in the image on their web site. When the shop told me which color it would actually be over the phone I checked it out on the Kona site and was a bit dissapointed, thought it looked sorta baby bluish and girly. They had one in a larger size at the shop so I went over and checked it out anyway. The blue looks like it has a silver base and it actually looks like it's anodized. Definately looks cool and is different than anything I have seen on bikes anyway. The StumpJumper I was considering was anodized red. Ho Humm another red frame. The blue is awesome. As far as the creme I think they started production then switched. There may be some available in creme but I didn't care to ask. I don't think you'll run into another brand with this color. On the other hand there will be a sea of black bikes out there with cool silver lettering... BORING!!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardDog
    Trust when I say the light blue looks a whole lot better in person. It looks real flat in the image on their web site.
    I saw a blue Coiler in the LBS that looked exactly like the Dawg on the website:

    http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...6&parentid=182

    Very flat blue, but it still looked cool. Maybe that's how they were going to re-do the Dawg at first, but then they switched to the more shiny version that you got (which sounds very cool).

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    454

    Let me clarify

    Quote Originally Posted by Warthog
    I saw a blue Coiler in the LBS that looked exactly like the Dawg on the website:

    http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...6&parentid=182

    Very flat blue, but it still looked cool. Maybe that's how they were going to re-do the Dawg at first, but then they switched to the more shiny version that you got (which sounds very cool).
    Warthog, What I meant by flat was the color was a straight color when in fact it has a silver base or a tint that gives it a metalic appearance. The finish IS a satin gloss and has a very slight texture to it. It's not a glossy, smooth finish. I see several manufacturers introducing frames painted in a duller, slightly textured finish. Why? It hides more base material and coating imperfections. A high gloss shows everything and hey if you can market it as new and trendy then why not! The worst I have seen was a new Specialized. In black it looked like a BBQ grill.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardDog
    Warthog, What I meant by flat was the color was a straight color when in fact it has a silver base or a tint that gives it a metalic appearance. The finish IS a satin gloss and has a very slight texture to it. It's not a glossy, smooth finish. I see several manufacturers introducing frames painted in a duller, slightly textured finish. Why? It hides more base material and coating imperfections. A high gloss shows everything and hey if you can market it as new and trendy then why not! The worst I have seen was a new Specialized. In black it looked like a BBQ grill.
    Okay, it's probably similar to what I saw then. I think the flat colors are more of a style thing. I saw a flat black Stinky or Coiler with dark gray highlights at the LBS, and it looked great.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    265
    Make sure you post a pic when you get it.

    I agree the cream colours are a bit 'ugh'. They always just look like an uncleaned or a stained white.

    Coiler '05 is really nice in person. Saving at the mo!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Norco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    31

    I'm hurtin with you...

    ...I ordered my Shred about 10 days ago, and still no word. Good luck with sleep, I know I'm not getting any!

Similar Threads

  1. Ordered an 05 Shred today
    By Norco in forum Kona
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 12:08 PM
  2. 04 dee lux or BIG hit fsr 05
    By KMfreeride in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 01:08 PM
  3. 05 Kona Stinky or 04 Kona Stinky Dee lux
    By sreiman in forum Kona
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 05:45 PM
  4. Any Pics of the '05 Dawg Dee Lux?
    By LMo in forum Kona
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 07:57 AM
  5. ordered an '05 x-cal today
    By chewey993 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 08:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •