Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jake or Rove ?

mtbr member

Jake or Rove ?

Looking at a crossbike, i know this is MTBR. Wonderif if either the Rove or Jake (Snake). Have eylets for a rear rack? Would like to have the option for commuting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Both the Rove and Jake have rear rack eyelets. I'm not so sure about the Jake the Snake.

get down!
    Tis the question...and a very good one I think.

I'm waiting for the Ti Rove myself...thinking 2013.5 model like the Raijin...one can dream!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Agreed. I am debating between picking up a steel Rove and waiting in hopes of a Ti model.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    jake the snake 2012 has rear rack mounts, front and rear fender eyelets as well.

love the bike. running maxxis refuse 700x25c tires on it for road/dirt road, commuting, and singletrack (believe it or not). much better all round tires than cross tires imo.

rog

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have an 11 Jake the snake and love the bike. That said if I did it today I'd go with the Rove due to disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Will be seeing all 4 kona cross bikes in person Sunday. For commuting I would use the Rove. Far better gear range and disc brake.s

Church of the Bike
    I just added a carbon fork and BB7's to a 2013 Jake which turns a very good bike into a great bike. I haven't written up about those add ons yet. Hope to compare a Rove side by side in the near future but those are tough to get ahold of right now.

The Spinistry Bike Project | The Spinistry

get down!
    @Spinistry...What's the biggest tire you can fit in the rear of the Jake?

Church of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    @Spinistry...What's the biggest tire you can fit in the rear of the Jake?
    42's should fit

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinistry View Post
    42's should fit
    check it and let me know?

my Ti La Cruz says 38's but my 35's (kenda happy mediums) are a close fit. I ordered up a 35c Clement XPLOR because it doesn't look as knobby on the sides.

Thanks in advance if you ever get around to it.

Church of the Bike
    38's fit plenty fine so I don't expect 42's to be an issue at all. Gonna pack as much rubber as will fit at some point and try some extended singletrack action. Will let you know. Here's the latest installment with a pic with 28mm road tires.

Spinistry Bike Project Part 4 – Upgrades! | The Spinistry

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    my vote is for the Jake, being aluminum and lighter and all. I like the internal cable routing as well.

mtbr member
    38's fit plenty fine so I don't expect 42's to be an issue at all. Gonna pack as much rubber as will fit at some point and try some extended singletrack action. Will let you know. Here's the latest installment with a pic with 28mm road tires.

Spinistry Bike Project Part 4 Upgrades! | The Spinistry
    I was looking at the upcoming Trek Crossrip...until I saw your build. Any reason to suspect the Nashbar carbon fork would have longevity issues? I'm unfamiliar with tough the Nashbar forks are.
    Signature

get down!
    I wouldn't worry about longevity issues. Nashbar will be around if you need to warranty it. However, if I were doing it I would look for one with a carbon steerer. Whisky or Enve or something on those lines. Aluminum steerer'd carbon forks are pretty heavy and negate some of the vibration dampening qualities of CF IMO.

Church of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    I wouldn't worry about longevity issues. Nashbar will be around if you need to warranty it. However, if I were doing it I would look for one with a carbon steerer. Whisky or Enve or something on those lines. Aluminum steerer'd carbon forks are pretty heavy and negate some of the vibration dampening qualities of CF IMO.
    I could be wrong but I think carbon steerers are pretty much limited to tapered headtubes these days. I don't have any concerns about longevity. I'm 99.9% certain that the Nashbar Fork is the old Winwood fork without the logos which I believe is almost the same as the Whisky 7 alloy (Winwood was the QBP carbon fork but now Whisky is). I had the Winwood on another cross bike a few years back and it was greatness. My wife had one on her old cross bike and loved it too.

mtbr member
    Excellent. Thanks for the info. The 2013 Jamis Nova Race was brought to my attention yesterday and I'm liking it...a lot. Al frame, carbon fork, Tiagra 2x10, and BB7 for $1300 retail. Tough decision since the Kona looks good too with a little help after the sale.
    Signature

Church of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Excellent. Thanks for the info. The 2013 Jamis Nova Race was brought to my attention yesterday and I'm liking it...a lot. Al frame, carbon fork, Tiagra 2x10, and BB7 for $1300 retail. Tough decision since the Kona looks good too with a little help after the sale.
    $1300 is right where the Jake comes in with the upgrades so pricing is identical. While I'm not a fan of the triple chainring on the Kona I love the 52t big ring on gravel and pavement. A 2x10 would probably be a better fit if the focus is cx though.

mtbr member
    It comes out a bit more than the Jamis to make things equal. Kona has 140mm rotors whereas the Jamis has the 160 rotors I want/need (at least on the front of the Kona). Depends on what sort of deal I can get on each bike. I'm not counting out either at this point. I don't like the triple on the Kona but I do like the bigger ring since I'll be on the road a bit. Granted the Jamis rings can always be upgraded but that is obviously an extra cost.
    Signature

Church of the Bike
    Oops, my math was off by $100. I would definitely recommend 160 on the rotors. It also gives easy wheel swap options with my 29er if needed. I assume the Jamis is 135 rear spacing. I may try to get a hold of one of those for a comparison if I can.

mtbr member
    Huh...I wasn't aware the Kona is 135 in the rear. I am fairly certain the Jake is 130mm.
    Signature

Church of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Huh...I wasn't aware the Kona is 135 in the rear. I am fairly certain the Jake is 130mm.
    I haven't measured it but my 29er wheels fit no issue or manhandling so I'm pretty certain it's 135. The Jake wheel goes onto my Yeti Big Top fine as well.

mtbr member
    Very cool. That opens up quite a few options.

Today I ended up pulling the trigger on a Civilian Vive Le Roi.
    Signature

get down!
    I could be wrong but I think carbon steerers are pretty much limited to tapered headtubes these days. I don't have any concerns about longevity. I'm 99.9% certain that the Nashbar Fork is the old Winwood fork without the logos which I believe is almost the same as the Whisky 7 alloy (Winwood was the QBP carbon fork but now Whisky is). I had the Winwood on another cross bike a few years back and it was greatness. My wife had one on her old cross bike and loved it too.
    I thought the 2013 Jake had a tapered headtube?

I just put a full carbon 1-1/8" Carver fork on my La Cruz Ti. Below is a link to that. I bought the straight 1-1/8" aluminum steerer tubed Whisky fork and didn't like the weight + weight of front disc I would have gained so I sold it and installed the Carver after repainting it.

Beats, Bikes and Life: Carver Fork repaint...install...review?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    rove weighs a ton by the way.
    it's nowhere near a light bike...
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast