BGR / MCM #311

It's HERE!!! It's HERE!!!!

The coiler primo arrived today!!! without pedals and grips it weighs in at 36.2 lbs.

They only beef I have is that Kona sent me the HFX carbon brakes instead of the El Camino's that it's supposed to be spec'd with...I'll be giving them a call ASAP...those brakes were a huge selling point for me, cuz they are made right here in Peoria, IL. Would be nice to have hometown stoppers on the ol' steed.

I'm grins ear to ear....PICS SOON!!!!!

terry
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by fireboy
    They only beef I have is that Kona sent me the HFX carbon brakes instead of the El Camino's that it's supposed to be spec'd with...I'll be giving them a call ASAP...those brakes were a huge selling point for me, cuz they are made right here in Peoria, IL.

terry
    Fireboy,

Congrats!! 36 lbs. sounds pretty reasonable for me. Burly enough to go big, but light enough to be ridden all day - pending the fitness of the rider.

On the brakes, I'd much rather have the El Camino's than the HFX's as well and not due to where they're made - although there's nothing wrong with repping your hometown goods. The HFX's are notorious for having the lever adjust screw back out all the time. My HFX's are amazing stoppers and I have no other complaints about them, but that irks me to no end having to constantly adjust them. It's like having a car that runs great, but the dash rattles everywhere!! Drives me crazy...and, yes, I've tried every trick in the book on them.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Fireboy wrote me ans asked about the HFX's, and i lt him know (as i'm now letting all of you know) that they're actually Mag Ti Carbon brakes on there. We changed all of the El Camino's that were spec'ced because the quality and reliability was not on par this year. It looks as if everything is dialed in with Hayes for next year, and we will be spec'cing them next year.

Cheers,
    Joe.

BGR / MCM #311
    OOOHHH....SSSHHHHUUUURE....NEXT year!!! LOL...just kidding. Joe did set me straight..the Carbons are lighter and just farting around the neighborhood, they seem to be excellent brakes!!

Anyway...here's a shot of the new steed...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    :drooooool: that bike is so nice. Love the bright yellow, it says "hei look at me I'm a fancy pants that want everybody to look at me"

How long did you wait for it? I am going inzane over here waiting for one Kona jersey to complete my order, Joe what's the deal! , and the store is not replying to my e-mails anymore, I think they are kinda fead up with me, only had about 20 questions

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odinnn
    :drooooool: that bike is so nice. Love the bright yellow, it says "hei look at me I'm a fancy pants that want everybody to look at me"

How long did you wait for it? I am going inzane over here waiting for one Kona jersey to complete my order, Joe what's the deal! , and the store is not replying to my e-mails anymore, I think they are kinda fead up with me, only had about 20 questions
    Um, Odinn, i think you answered your own question!

Seriously, we do have plenty of jerseys in stock, so maybe it's something else.

Oh, and Fire, you'll never get sick of that yellow. Take my word for it.

Joe.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    Um, Odinn, i think you answered your own question!

Seriously, we do have plenty of jerseys in stock, so maybe it's something else...
    Joe.
    ...like the slow-boat to Iceland
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

That's my name
    Quote Originally Posted by fireboy
    Anyway...here's a shot of the new steed...

I am seriously digging that bike!!!
    Have been in love with the Coiler Primo since i saw it, congrats on your awesome new ride!!!
    Have been thinking about several possibilities for my next bike and this one keeps popping back into my thoughts. Only problem is that prices here in Finland are a bit OTT, will have to look into how much importing one will cost seeing as we have a favourable exchange rate. The Euro will buy about $1.30 US at the moment i think.

mtbr member
    Yeah I know it is not your fault, I was just *****in. I am just a little bit pissed off with the bike shop, has taken a month to set up the deal and then "ohh sorry you have to wait a week for the jersey" and after a week they stop answering me. The guy must be sick or out of town or something.

BGR / MCM #311
    Quote Originally Posted by mr plow
    ...and this one keeps popping back into my thoughts.
    That's exactly what kept happening to me. I was thinking Turner 6 Pack with the 66RC, but noticed that for the price of that frame and fork alone, I could afford this whole bike. Then I looked at the Specialized SX Trail, but there were so many things on that bike that I would have swapped/replaced, that the $3000 price tag would have been more like $4000. The Primo came with just about everything I would spec on a bike if I were to build it frame up. I kept going back over to Little Ade's Bike Shop and test riding the 18" (I ended up with a 17) they had on the floor (basic Coiler) and then got to test ride the SX Trail, Trek Session, King Fisher, and Coiler at the Midwest MTB Summit. Talked to Cory and the other reps...but just kept being pulled back to the Coiler...so I finally said *F-BOMB* IT!! and pulled the trigger...

took only a week to get it in...the shop thought it would be middle of may, but then all the sudden...there it was....picked it up yesterday morning....

what am I doing on here??? The trails are wet...but there's good urban close by...

SEE YA!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Good job! Love that color!!!

Fireboy,
    Saweeet looking ride. Here again, like the Dawg Dee-Lux blue, the catalog doesn't do it justice. The pic you posted looks like the color has a silver base to it. Looks pretty cool. I got to get off my a$$ and post a pic of mine! Have fun!
    Last edited by LeopardDog; 04-28-2005 at 04:55 AM.

BGR / MCM #311
    The color is awesome...it has the feel and appearance of anodization...and in certain light it looks very green...and in other light very gold...pics do not do it justice...but look now...cuz it'll soon be covered with dirt!!

mtbr member
    That color is SOOOOOOO much better in person, Kona's catalogue doesn't do it any justice. Very nice Bike, congrats!!!!!
    Previously known as: Norco

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmot
    That color is SOOOOOOO much better in person, Kona's catalogue doesn't do it any justice. Very nice Bike, congrats!!!!!
    Same goes for the blue on the Coiler and silver on the Coiler DL. Great colors (especially the blue! )
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common