mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Im 5'3 looking at a 2004 kona stinky?15 or 17in. frame?

hey im 15 years old, 120 pounds and 5'3. i ride street trails and park. most of the time me and my friends just ride around looking for things to either drop or jump. first of all do u think its a good bike for me and if it is what frame size. thanks

mtbr member

15" for now

The stinky is a great bike, just look at the reviews for it. As far as size, at 5'3" I'd be getting a 15" frame. The only bummer on the 15" frames is that there is no quick release for the seat height adjustment because a release lever will hit the rocker plates during full compression. Other than that, the 15" will give you better standover (which isn't that great on 2004 Stinky's) and better control for your street hucking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Its a great bike!

I had a demo Stinky 05 bike a few weekends back. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a day or so and I thought I was a die hard-tail fan.

I would certainly get look at getting one but here in the UK its the equivalent of $3000.(Moaning about bike prices in the UK is my favorite topic at the moment )

I would definately go for the 15 as I'm 5'11 and the large (16 inch) was just right for me.

Not sure how much you'll like it in the park / street though? I did take the demo down to the park and it was ok, bit heavy and not the most manoeverable thing I've ridden. Its really a bit overkill for a park, but still a laugh! It really needs a good seeing to off road, down drops, off jumps, then it feels suuuuuperb!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EgonSpengler
    Not sure how much you'll like it in the park / street though? I did take the demo down to the park and it was ok, bit heavy and not the most manoeverable thing I've ridden. Its really a bit overkill for a park, but still a laugh! It really needs a good seeing to off road, down drops, off jumps, then it feels suuuuuperb!
    I would have wanted to see you in that park, 7" front and back just does not work in a park. I am never going to ride my Stinky in a park (not like there is a park in my town), well maybe if I can drop something or I'm with someone that is on a "park bike"

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    lol, no you wouldn't ! I looked like an idiot. I',m really not into the 'ride your mountain bike in a skate park' thing anyway, add the stinky to that and it really wasn't happenin!

If I didn't know all the BMXers there i think I'd have been laughed out of the place.

Still, seriously wicked bike if you ride it where it was designed to go!

29er wannabe

heavy bike

The Stinky is a good bike for downhill and freeriding. Just be sure that you want to lug around a 41lb. bike on the trails. I had one for two years !
    I would suggest a Kona Coiler ( 36lb) with a single crown fork with a bit more standover height.
    Your best bet would be a Santa Cruz Heckler with the freeride package (34lb) if finances
    allow. Mine is built up at 31lbs.
    If your inseem is anywhere 28in. you'll be standing on your toes on the Stinky if that concerns you .

Gary