Scooby Driver
    Feb 2005

How well do Kikapus climb?

I recently rode an 05 Dawg and found it amazingly stable and fast on the straights and the even better on the downhills, but I didn't find it to be a great climber.

I'm currently riding a Trek 6700 hardtail but am looking into buying a full suspension bike and really like the Konas, but I live in a hilly area and need a good climber.

How is the Kikapu/Kikapu Deluxe as a climber? Will it feel any different than the Dawg?

Thanks

BGR / MCM #311
    Got a buddy with a King Kikapu...he, and the bike, climbs like a billygoat on dexatrim!! Although, he's a pretty stong rider to begin with...he'd probably climb just as well on my Coiler.
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I only test rode a Dawg and they felt pretty different to me. I have had a Kik Deluxe for about a month and I think it climbs pretty well. I am coming off a too big Tassajara though so it is a big difference for me to be able to move on the bike. I am not a real strong climber and have done pretty well with it. Its worth giving a test drive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I don't get it...

Geez, I thought the Dawg climbed pretty well. I test rode mine at the LBS and they had a pretty steep grassy hill right behind the shop. I walked right up it with no problem. Granted it's not a XC racer but I don't have problems climbing with it. Maybe a bit of technique could play in? What would make one climb so much better than the other? There is only 1/2 degree difference in head angle.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

Scooby Driver
    Feb 2005
    The Dawg may climb well but I have a limited experience with full suspension bikes so I don't have a lot to compare it to. When compared to my hardtail, I found the Dawg a better bike in every aspect except for climbing. I figured the Kona gurus could shine some light on the subject for me.

i heart singletrack

My experience with my '05 King Kikapu...

... has been very positive. I've ridden and raced (semipro xc) a good number of full suspension bikes over the years, including all three of Klein's full suspension bikes (Mantra, Adept, Palomino).

Compared to the Palomino, which was previously my favorite climbing bike, the King Kikapu fares very well. Part of the performance is due to the rear shock, as the RP3 seems to work well with the suspension design. Part of the performance is just the overall balance the bike has. It's one of those bikes that just disappears underneath you. I don't have to think (or worry) about the bike doing anything weird. I just ride it.

In my racing thus far this season, I've finished in the top-three in all races I've finished (I DNF'd once), including finishing second to Fisher marathon ace Cameron Chambers (the new 24 hour solo champion) at a recent enduro race here in Nebraska. I've attached a pic of myself on my King Kikapu from that race to this post.

Cheers,
    MG
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardDog
    Geez, I thought the Dawg climbed pretty well. I test rode mine at the LBS and they had a pretty steep grassy hill right behind the shop. I walked right up it with no problem. Granted it's not a XC racer but I don't have problems climbing with it. Maybe a bit of technique could play in? What would make one climb so much better than the other? There is only 1/2 degree difference in head angle.
    Chainstay length has a good amount to do with how a bike climbs as well. The Dawg line and the Kik line have the same chainstay length. A little long for my tastes.

i heart singletrack

Chainstay length...

Compated to the Klein bikes I had been riding, I have not noticed any reduction in climbing efficiency due to the slightly longer chainstays on my King Kikapu.

From a stability standpoint, the longer chainstays are a benefit.
    mg

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

the rider, not the bike...

I think that a rider in good shape could kick ass on either a dawg or a kikapu...unless you're racing alot, go with the one that's more fun.

That's just my opinion

Faller - Expert Class

My '05 King Kikapu...

climbs very well, even on the plush setting of the RP3, where I usually leave it at unless I'm on a REALLY steep climb, or on pavement. The bike climbed great stock, and climbs amazingly after I put a Dave's Wheels wheelset on it. I've been telling everyone that the bike seems like it has a gas pedal rather than two bike pedals now! I'll post pics as soon as I decide to 1) take the pics with my 35mm cam, and 2) bring the film to Osco to get the pics on disc, so I can post em. Yep, you guessed it, all the money went to the bike and the bike upgrades, instead of a digital camera and/or scanner!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My 2004 Kikapu does pretty well. Granted, I am a tub-o-lard, but I was impressed how much better it climbs than my old Raleigh hardtail. Things got even better when I upgraded to a Marocchi MX Comp with ETA lockdown and Fox Float R propedal rear shock. The Zoke fork works really well with the lockdown, which actually sucks the fork down to 30mm of travel. It steepens up the head tube so it really climbs well. Its too bad the 2005 Kikapu Deluxe doesn't have the MX Comp ETA.

I am really happy with my choice, but occasionally I do wish I had a Dawg or Dawg Deluxe. But, all I have to do to clear that thought is to go throw my leg over the Kikapu and my worries disappear.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have an 05 DAWG Primo. Coming from an old Fisher Joshua F1, I had trouble climbing on the Kona due to the much shorter cockpit. I changed the bars to Race Face XC straight bars then later added bar ends. Kinda old school but, it's the kind of setup I have on the Fisher. With the bar ends on it I can climb steep tecnical stuff well. Before that I had a lot of trouble getting power to the ground on that kind of stuff. I would either spin or wheelie. I could not find a comfort zone. I ride with a lot of king Kikapu's and see no one having problems. This kind of setup may work well for you as too. The handling of the Kona's is awsome!