mtbr member
    Mar 2005

How much does your Dawg weigh?

Just curious to see the different configurations people have for their dawg and what the weight of their bike comes out to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

stock dawg

I havn't bought a Dawg yet (coming soon), but I test rode a bone-stock 05 Dawg and I had the dealer weigh it on their scale. It came out to about 31.5 lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Good job! Kona..One of the few that post bike weights

I have a Dawg Dee-Lux on order and Kona has a spread sheet on their site that lists the Dee-Lux at 28.8 and the Dawg at 30.7. Here is the link

http://www.konaworld.com/tech/techni...ke_weights.xls

I would guess the weight would be for the medium size frame from within the series. I would say the biggest contributor between the two is the fork. The Fox on the Dee-Lux weighs only 3.5 lbs and I have to believe the Marzocci is heavier. Kona may not build the lightest bike but they do build them tough.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've got an 18" '03 Dawg Dee-lux that weighs in at 30-31 pounds (depending on the scale). The only change from stock is that I am using a (heavier) Mavic F519 rim on the rear wheel instead of the Mavic 223, and a (lighter) XT rear hub instead of the stock deore hub. Net weight gain with this change was 0, so it's basically a stock bike, weight-wise. Oh, I also replaced the crappy seat with a WTB Speed V, which is probably a bit heavier then stock.

I think they were quoting 28.8 for the Dee-lux even back then, so that's either optomistic, or for a small frame. My front hub is about to die, I think (wierd noises), so I'm thinking I'll probably replace the original Mavic 223/deore front wheel with a lighter Mavic 317/XT. That may pull it under 30 pounds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well Who can you trust??

Like the old saying goes..."your mileage may vary". Over on the shock forum there was a post about weight of Fox shocks and someone posted that Fox listed the weight of a Vanilla lighter than the air series. Someone else dispelled that by qualifying that the Vanilla weight did not include the spring. Did the 03 Dee-Lux have the Fox fork currently used? Could be a difference maker. I'll be sure to post the weight of my Dawg as soon as I get it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardDog
    Like the old saying goes..."your mileage may vary". Over on the shock forum there was a post about weight of Fox shocks and someone posted that Fox listed the weight of a Vanilla lighter than the air series. Someone else dispelled that by qualifying that the Vanilla weight did not include the spring. Did the 03 Dee-Lux have the Fox fork currently used? Could be a difference maker. I'll be sure to post the weight of my Dawg as soon as I get it.
    My '03 Dee-lux has a Fox Float R Fork and Float R shock. No lockout on either one. A friend, who owns a bike shop, tells me that the 05 frames are ligther then the previous versions, though he didn't say how they lightened them up.