Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

How many Kona's have you owned?

I've had 3 total- A Pahoehoe, King Kikapu, and now a Dawg Primo. I am seriously considering getting me another XC hardtail too!
    Show Charlie Murphy your hubs

Brackish
    Between the two of us, six. My first was a full rigid Hahanna that ended up with a pimped out parts spec for messengering on, that was around '96. We got hit by a car, and that was the end of the Hahanna. In 2000 I got one of the last steel Fire Mountains, and that too ended up pimped out for messengering and commuting. Sold that to another messenger a couple of years ago (still trying to buy it back, Russ), and he is still using it for full rigid dirt riding. Picked up a Kona Smoke when I realized I missed the Kona HT action. Just got a screaming deal on an '06 Coiler Deluxe, and have been riding it for just over a month. Great bike, really fun freeride-y/burly AM rig. My wife started her MTB career just three years ago with a blue and green Hahanna which we upgraded with a Judy and some other stuff, then later she picked up a Dawg which is still kicking with brake and fork upgrades. Can you tell, we love Kona!
    Last edited by carbuncle; 06-14-2007 at 04:21 AM.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I've had three. A 2001 Pahoehoe, and an 04 and 05 Kula Primo (scandium) XC hardtail bikes.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

solid gold plated
    2, an 04 coiler dee-lux and now and 05 coiler dee-lux
    a message of inspiration from your friends at yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    4 for me, 2003 dawg primo, 1999 stinky, 1997 kula, 1989 explosive, still have the first and last all had the handling majic, ride it harder, it goes better!

Happy Coiler Owner
    Aug 2005
    2 04 coiler, 06 coiler

maybe a stinky, toss up between stinky stab and cannondale perp for my next bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

4 !

Still using my 97 KingKahuna Ti HT for my XC needs , fitted with a Reba Uturn , 99 Louise front disk and HS33 rear and 06 XT for the rest.

Used to have a 01 Stinky Dee , but sold it in 03 so I could get a 03 StinkyDee , for my DH/FR needs , 190mm Shiver , 01 Gustavs , Hadley rear hub w/ Saint mech and Blackspire single ring 36T guide

A 2001 ,bought new in 05, Kona 2-4 (24" BMX Cruiser) , I had always wanted one ever since I saw it in the 2001 Catalog , and I finnally got it.

The jury is still out on whether to get a PaddyWagon or build up a DEW frame for commuting : single ring front, 9/10 rear, mech. disks and a On-One Midge bar.
    Now if Kona made a Paddy with disks (think Bianchi Roger) Id get in in a heartbeat.

Cheers

Don't skid
    I have owned 3.
    04 Stinky (sold it)
    04 Coiler -- still going strong, nothing is orginal though
    06 King Kikapu -- my XC racer

My wife has 2.
    An old steel Wooha she got at a garage sale for $70 and uses for commuting
    04 Kikapu -- This one is going to get replaced soon.

Eventually I would like to get a nice steel Kona hardtail for SS or a paddy wagon for commuting, but my stable if full right now.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Three so far:
    • A tricked out 97 Kilauea that is still my XC race bike of choice (I may replace the 10 year old Bomber on the front with a F100 after this season is done)
    • A 03 Kona Deluxe for Road duties
    • And a 04 Kona Dew that has had most of it's original parts replaced with tougher ones that is used for commuting and Grocery/Beer hauling duties.

What's that smell?
    Smoke, Stinky, Roast, Kikapu and an A.

mtbr member
    Lots and lots and lots and lots.

And what's really funny is that every year i think i've got my stable dialed, and we come out with at least two models that i "have" to get.
    We have a couple '08 models that are going to be like that for me. I've already warned my wife.

You know, since the day we moved into this house, we haven't been able to pull a single car into the garage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

08s

There better be a DISKONLY PaddyWagon or Jake in there , or I`ll have to get a
    Bianchi Roger :-)
    The Sutra just dosnt cut it for me , those sliding dropouts are B... ugly,
    Why no Eccentric BB ?
    Cheers

thecentralscrutinizer
    [SIZE="4"]08's[/SIZE]????????????

When will we get to see what those are going to look like?
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by caspar
    There better be a DISKONLY PaddyWagon or Jake in there , or I`ll have to get a
    Bianchi Roger :-)
    The Sutra just dosnt cut it for me , those sliding dropouts are B... ugly,
    Why no Eccentric BB ?
    Cheers
    PLEASE no disc only Paddy Wagon! It's a fixie, guys! Mine only has a front brake, and no rear brake. There's guys that use NO brakes.

And a Jake with discs? But official cyclocross racing rules doesn't even allow discs...

solid gold plated
    kona joe, if you've got too many konas and your wife is hassling you to use the car in the garage, i would be more than happy to take them off your hands for you
    a message of inspiration from your friends at yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top!

_
    Mar 2004
    My 06 Coiler Deluxe took my Kona virginity and is my only one.

mtbr member
    A 96 Hot, 97 Kilauea, 97 Explosif (18"), 97 Explosif (19"), 97 King Kahuna Ti and 05 Kula Primo. All of them are grand, but my favorite all time ride is the KK. Presently sits at 16.6 actual lbs.

KingKahuna.jpg
    Last edited by top_ring; 06-15-2007 at 07:35 PM.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    '00 Roast, '01.5 Stinky Five (the brown one), '04 A, '04 Coiler Deelux, and an '06 Coiler. The A and the Coiler Deelux were sold to a couple riding buddies and are still going strong. There are probably around 20 Konas currently built in our riding group. Probably why our Kona dealer treats us all so well.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    '93 Explosif, '95 Explosif, '95 Kula, '97 Lava Dome (sold), '97 A'Ha, '05 Explosif and '06 A.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by doonk
    ...all had the handling majic, ride it harder, it goes better!

I built up an '06 Kula Deluxe frame in March, and I've found the above to be true. Push it and it rails. Based on the Kona ride I decided, after going back and forth for two or so years, to finally get a full suspension ride, too. I'm now happily getting to know an '06 King Kikapu and am looking forward to my first 12 hour race on it later this year.

I wonder if I can save enough coin for a Jake the Snake in time for cross season?

mtbr member
    Four

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My wife and I have owned a lot of Kona's, some new, some used and a few replaced under warranty.
    Mine
    1999 Stinky dee-lux
    2000 Stinky dee-lux
    2000 Score
    2002 Chute
    2002 Stinky dee-lux
    2002 Stinky primo
    wife's
    2002 Cinder Cone
    2006 Dawg Primo

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    3 so far...

2004 Kula Deluxe
    2005 Caldera (as a replacement frame)
    2006 Stuff

The last two can be seen here :Just showing off my Caldera + Stuff

That's a Kona each year...I wonder what 2007 will bring

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by top_ring
    A 96 Hot, 97 Kilauea, 97 Explosif (18"), 97 Explosif (19"), 97 King Kahuna Ti and 05 Kula Primo. All of them are grand, but my favorite all time ride is the KK. Presently sits at 16.6 actual lbs.

KingKahuna.jpg

That bike is incredible, so old school pimp. You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    4 stinkys and a Cowan DS

its kinda funny, I cant seem to stay away from them. I picked up a 99 stinky as my first "freeride" bike. I moved from there to a super 8 which I was never real pleased with. Went from that back to a 01 stinky dee and rode that for years. I got into racing and moved into an ASX then a V10. while I was racing I also had a 02 stinky primo as my trail bike. Stopped racing and went back to a 06 stinky/Fox 36 as my do all/DH bike.
    Last edited by Easy_J; 06-19-2007 at 11:54 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast