Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

How many Kona's have you owned?

I've had 3 total- A Pahoehoe, King Kikapu, and now a Dawg Primo. I am seriously considering getting me another XC hardtail too!
    Show Charlie Murphy your hubs

Brackish
    Between the two of us, six. My first was a full rigid Hahanna that ended up with a pimped out parts spec for messengering on, that was around '96. We got hit by a car, and that was the end of the Hahanna. In 2000 I got one of the last steel Fire Mountains, and that too ended up pimped out for messengering and commuting. Sold that to another messenger a couple of years ago (still trying to buy it back, Russ), and he is still using it for full rigid dirt riding. Picked up a Kona Smoke when I realized I missed the Kona HT action. Just got a screaming deal on an '06 Coiler Deluxe, and have been riding it for just over a month. Great bike, really fun freeride-y/burly AM rig. My wife started her MTB career just three years ago with a blue and green Hahanna which we upgraded with a Judy and some other stuff, then later she picked up a Dawg which is still kicking with brake and fork upgrades. Can you tell, we love Kona!
    Last edited by carbuncle; 06-14-2007 at 03:21 AM.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I've had three. A 2001 Pahoehoe, and an 04 and 05 Kula Primo (scandium) XC hardtail bikes.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5

solid gold plated
    2, an 04 coiler dee-lux and now and 05 coiler dee-lux
    a message of inspiration from your friends at yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    4 for me, 2003 dawg primo, 1999 stinky, 1997 kula, 1989 explosive, still have the first and last all had the handling majic, ride it harder, it goes better!

Happy Coiler Owner
    Aug 2005
    2 04 coiler, 06 coiler

maybe a stinky, toss up between stinky stab and cannondale perp for my next bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

4 !

Still using my 97 KingKahuna Ti HT for my XC needs , fitted with a Reba Uturn , 99 Louise front disk and HS33 rear and 06 XT for the rest.

Used to have a 01 Stinky Dee , but sold it in 03 so I could get a 03 StinkyDee , for my DH/FR needs , 190mm Shiver , 01 Gustavs , Hadley rear hub w/ Saint mech and Blackspire single ring 36T guide

A 2001 ,bought new in 05, Kona 2-4 (24" BMX Cruiser) , I had always wanted one ever since I saw it in the 2001 Catalog , and I finnally got it.

The jury is still out on whether to get a PaddyWagon or build up a DEW frame for commuting : single ring front, 9/10 rear, mech. disks and a On-One Midge bar.
    Now if Kona made a Paddy with disks (think Bianchi Roger) Id get in in a heartbeat.

Cheers

Don't skid
    I have owned 3.
    04 Stinky (sold it)
    04 Coiler -- still going strong, nothing is orginal though
    06 King Kikapu -- my XC racer

My wife has 2.
    An old steel Wooha she got at a garage sale for $70 and uses for commuting
    04 Kikapu -- This one is going to get replaced soon.

Eventually I would like to get a nice steel Kona hardtail for SS or a paddy wagon for commuting, but my stable if full right now.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Three so far:
    • A tricked out 97 Kilauea that is still my XC race bike of choice (I may replace the 10 year old Bomber on the front with a F100 after this season is done)
    • A 03 Kona Deluxe for Road duties
    • And a 04 Kona Dew that has had most of it's original parts replaced with tougher ones that is used for commuting and Grocery/Beer hauling duties.

What's that smell?
    Smoke, Stinky, Roast, Kikapu and an A.

mtbr member
    Lots and lots and lots and lots.

And what's really funny is that every year i think i've got my stable dialed, and we come out with at least two models that i "have" to get.
    We have a couple '08 models that are going to be like that for me. I've already warned my wife.

You know, since the day we moved into this house, we haven't been able to pull a single car into the garage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

08s

There better be a DISKONLY PaddyWagon or Jake in there , or I`ll have to get a
    Bianchi Roger :-)
    The Sutra just dosnt cut it for me , those sliding dropouts are B... ugly,
    Why no Eccentric BB ?
    Cheers

thecentralscrutinizer
    08's????????????

When will we get to see what those are going to look like?
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by caspar
    There better be a DISKONLY PaddyWagon or Jake in there , or I`ll have to get a
    Bianchi Roger :-)
    The Sutra just dosnt cut it for me , those sliding dropouts are B... ugly,
    Why no Eccentric BB ?
    Cheers
    PLEASE no disc only Paddy Wagon! It's a fixie, guys! Mine only has a front brake, and no rear brake. There's guys that use NO brakes.

And a Jake with discs? But official cyclocross racing rules doesn't even allow discs...

solid gold plated
    kona joe, if you've got too many konas and your wife is hassling you to use the car in the garage, i would be more than happy to take them off your hands for you
    a message of inspiration from your friends at yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top!

_
    Mar 2004
    My 06 Coiler Deluxe took my Kona virginity and is my only one.

mtbr member
    A 96 Hot, 97 Kilauea, 97 Explosif (18"), 97 Explosif (19"), 97 King Kahuna Ti and 05 Kula Primo. All of them are grand, but my favorite all time ride is the KK. Presently sits at 16.6 actual lbs.

KingKahuna.jpg
    Last edited by top_ring; 06-15-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    '00 Roast, '01.5 Stinky Five (the brown one), '04 A, '04 Coiler Deelux, and an '06 Coiler. The A and the Coiler Deelux were sold to a couple riding buddies and are still going strong. There are probably around 20 Konas currently built in our riding group. Probably why our Kona dealer treats us all so well.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    '93 Explosif, '95 Explosif, '95 Kula, '97 Lava Dome (sold), '97 A'Ha, '05 Explosif and '06 A.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by doonk
    ...all had the handling majic, ride it harder, it goes better!

I built up an '06 Kula Deluxe frame in March, and I've found the above to be true. Push it and it rails. Based on the Kona ride I decided, after going back and forth for two or so years, to finally get a full suspension ride, too. I'm now happily getting to know an '06 King Kikapu and am looking forward to my first 12 hour race on it later this year.

I wonder if I can save enough coin for a Jake the Snake in time for cross season?

mtbr member
    Four

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My wife and I have owned a lot of Kona's, some new, some used and a few replaced under warranty.
    Mine
    1999 Stinky dee-lux
    2000 Stinky dee-lux
    2000 Score
    2002 Chute
    2002 Stinky dee-lux
    2002 Stinky primo
    wife's
    2002 Cinder Cone
    2006 Dawg Primo

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    3 so far...

2004 Kula Deluxe
    2005 Caldera (as a replacement frame)
    2006 Stuff

The last two can be seen here :Just showing off my Caldera + Stuff

That's a Kona each year...I wonder what 2007 will bring

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by top_ring
    A 96 Hot, 97 Kilauea, 97 Explosif (18"), 97 Explosif (19"), 97 King Kahuna Ti and 05 Kula Primo. All of them are grand, but my favorite all time ride is the KK. Presently sits at 16.6 actual lbs.

KingKahuna.jpg

That bike is incredible, so old school pimp. You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    4 stinkys and a Cowan DS

its kinda funny, I cant seem to stay away from them. I picked up a 99 stinky as my first "freeride" bike. I moved from there to a super 8 which I was never real pleased with. Went from that back to a 01 stinky dee and rode that for years. I got into racing and moved into an ASX then a V10. while I was racing I also had a 02 stinky primo as my trail bike. Stopped racing and went back to a 06 stinky/Fox 36 as my do all/DH bike.
    Last edited by Easy_J; 06-19-2007 at 10:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doonk
    4 for me, 2003 dawg primo, 1999 stinky, 1997 kula, 1989 explosive, still have the first and last all had the handling majic, ride it harder, it goes better!
    Hey Doonk,

Let's see a pic of that 1989 Explosif. That was the first year -yeah? Did you own it from new?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    6:
    1990 Cindercone
    1994 Cindercone
    2001 Caldera
    2004 Kula
    2004 Dawg Deelux
    2004 Dr.Dew

17 years on nothing but Konas. Ends as soon as my Heckler arrives.

Grease Monkey
    Ooh blimey, 6 so far...
    1997 Cinder Cone: delicious, too small, but still owned and totally kitted with trick purple anodised bits!
    2000 Hahanna that's the right size and I've owned off & on with a friend (it's a bit of an unfaitful bee-atch!)
    1998 King Kikapu with seriously dodgy URT suspension that failed to work if you stood up...
    2002 Explosif... Possibly the best bike ever: Pace carbon forks and XTR everything. WHY DID I SELL IT?????
    2002 Chute that I bought on a whim and messed about on for a little while. eBayed it ages ago.
    1999 Fire Mountain frame that I bought a few weeks ago on eBay for VERY little money. Just about to build it up with old skool XT bits. I even built a snowflaked wheel on a Nuke Proof hub for it!

I still own three steel Konas (but not the Explosif...) and they're amazing.

You HAVE to see these pictures of the Cinder Cone

Thanks for sharig your Kona stories everyone, it's great to see the dream alive!

Born to push....
    2 so far

99 muni-mula solt it
    01 stuff

Stinkyest of the Stinkys!
    Two, so far:

2004 Kikapu - my first MTB

2004 Stinky Dee-Lux - the Kik lit a fire and so I went looking for an example of the bike I'd always wanted ever since I'd seen it reviewed in Bicycling magazine years ago. How can you not love a bike named Stinky Dee-Lux, and how can you not love a company with the cajones to name a bike Stinky Dee-Lux?

I'm lovin' my Konas, and I've really enjoyed all the cool people I've met by being a Kona owner -- and that includes some people from this forum that I haven't officially met, like Konut and phxartboy and Kona Joe, among others. The Kona community rocks! (ok, does somebody wanna cue up the "Kumbaya" now?)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not one mention of the older Kona Ti Hei Hei,...
    Great bike, my only one, lovin' it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XLAXX
    Not one mention of the older Kona Ti Hei Hei,...
    Great bike, my only one, lovin' it.
    A great bike for sure. Post a pic? However... Casper and I have already mentioned the King Kahuna. A Hei Hei with gussets and ovalized tubing. Check out the photo on the first page.

_
    Mar 2004
    well, i am a one bike kinda guy, as a few of you know, i had a 06 Coiler Deluxe for about 4 months, but recently sold it for an 07 Dawg Primo, so I have had 2 so far. i loved the Coiler, was just too much bike for me with all the climbing on our rides. i did my first ride on the dawg primo last night and that 7 pounds difference is huuuuuge, i felt like i could actually climb and accelerate vs. just flogging on the uphills on the coiler. i loved the coiler and i love the dawg!

mtbr member
    '00 Pahoehoe
    '05 Coiler Primo

...Awsome bikes. Iv'e ridden the hell out of the Pahoehoe, and it's still going strong. Only original parts are the stem and seatpost.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shot through the heart
    And you're to blame
    You give love a bad name...

solid gold plated
    what tyres are those on the coiler, they look humungous

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by da_eddio
    what tyres are those on the coiler, they look humungous
    Panaracer Fire FR 2.4. I built up the bike with strength in mind...so it's a little on the heavy side. I think it's around 38-9 lbs.

Shot through the heart
    And you're to blame
    You give love a bad name...

mtbr member

99 manomano, 02 stnky primo, 04 stinky d, 06 joe
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

mtbr member
    Dew '04 & Kula '07 custom built. I love them both...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    a 2005 Fire Mountain and a 2007 Blast so far

But looking to pick up and old steel hardtail off ebay soon.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mokomoko (stolen)
    Humuhumunukaapua(sp?)x2 one was stolen
    Smoke(shared with the lady) sold
    Stinky Dee sold (too big and heavy, I got caught up in the big bike hype)
    Coiler dee sold... I loved this bike
    Unit (My go to)
    Coilair Supreme (20 rides and is for sale!)
    Next purchase is a Jake and a Dawg of some sort as soon as I sell the Coilair.
    I love Kona bikes and the vibe of the company and I will continue to support them as much as I can.

mtbr member
    I own an '04 Hoss and just took delivery of an '07 Stab Supreme frameset. Someday I might supplement everything with a Stinky.

I dig the way these bikes handle. The full sus models got whacked with the ugly stick IMO but they sure do handle well.

mtbr member
    I've had two.

Dawg '04 and Dawg Supreme '06. First one was a awesome bike, but the second one was sh!t with to many design and quality faults. I've had a plan to buy my self a Stinky, but now after that DS frame (and Kona tech. support) I'm riding Marin (Quake).

I'd like to get a hold of one Dawg '04 frame, I really loved it... but as far as the rest goes... nope.
    I'm not a complete idiot, some pieces are missing.

mamadirt

Do I win ;>)

In order . . . '96 Cinder Cone, '98 Muni Mula (RIP), 2 x Y2K Roasts, '02 Scab, '01 Mama BMX (why did I ever ebay that one? - it had my name on it), '01 Kilauea, '03 Roast, '01 Scab, '05 Scrap, '02 Chute, '04 Stinky, '03 Scab, '06 Cowan DS, '06 Stinky 2-4, '07 Cowan DS, '90 Fire Mountain . . . pics of most here . . . oh, and papadirt and wozidirt have an '05 Hoss Dee-lux and '00 (or was '01 the first year) A. Currently only 4 in the stable - that'll do

Whoops, sorry 5 but I may ebay the Fire Mountain soon as it's a little too big.
    Welcome to the Hotel California . . .

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Just one

got my first one last weekend!

06 dawg primo, but I cant get any pictures to upload!

Welsh Dave
    Jul 2005

Five... So far. Still own four.

199x Cinder Cone. Ancient frame, sitting in my Dad's garage awaiting rebirth;
    1995 Humu. My commuter for several years. Still all original, down to the balding "Rush Hour" tyres (probably change them soon, before I get a blowout);
    1998 Hahanna. Ridden all over the world, before I sold it for reasons of finances and space ;
    1998 fire Mountain. With Paul Comp singlespeed dropouts;
    1998 Hei-Hei with full complement of period-correct parts.

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by mamadirt
    In order . . . '96 Cinder Cone, '98 Muni Mula (RIP), 2 x Y2K Roasts, '02 Scab, '01 Mama BMX (why did I ever ebay that one? - it had my name on it), '01 Kilauea, '03 Roast, '01 Scab, '05 Scrap, '02 Chute, '04 Stinky, '03 Scab, '06 Cowan DS, '06 Stinky 2-4, '07 Cowan DS, '90 Fire Mountain . . . pics of most here . . . oh, and papadirt and wozidirt have an '05 Hoss Dee-lux and '00 (or was '01 the first year) A. Currently only 4 in the stable - that'll do

Whoops, sorry 5 but I may ebay the Fire Mountain soon as it's a little too big.

No, but i have an unfair advantage. And your list is way way impressive.

1990 Fire Mountain
    1999 Kaboom
    another 1999 Kaboom
    2002 Kona Konakona
    2003 Chute
    2003 King Kikapu
    2003 Kona Konakona
    2003 Stinky Primo
    2004 Stinky DL
    2004 Dawg DL
    2004 Unit
    2005 Dawg Primo
    2005 King Kikapu
    2005 Explosif
    2005 Coiler Supreme
    2005 Jake the Snake
    2006 Jake the Snake
    2006 Coilair
    2006 Unit 2-9
    2006 A
    2006 Explosif 2-9
    2006 King Zing
    2007 Unit 2-9
    2007 Dawg Supreme
    2007 Kula 2-9

I think that's it for now.

solid gold plated
    seriously how do u people get thru so many bikes, its ridiculous

Twin Six METAL
    I've had two and loved them both.

2006 Kona King Supreme
    2007 Kona Hei Hei Supreme
    SpeedWorks Coaching Services
    http://www.speedworkscoaching.com

mamadirt
    djcrb9 - you need to get yourself a Cowan DS to complete your list
    Welcome to the Hotel California . . .

mtbr member
    Lava Dome - 2006 just a frame now, for sale

Aha - In bits, awaiting building, into a 29er

Humu Deluxe, My commuter, my 29er my mud plugger, my main bike really!

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by mamadirt
    djcrb9 - you need to get yourself a Cowan DS to complete your list

I think i'm pretty well set. I did get to ride the new Coilair over the weekend, and i may have to get one of those...

mtbr member

coiler supreme.

kona clock,(thanks konawhirled).

and stinky primo.

At Work
    1995 Kilauea that I rode from 96-2002 - Sold it after buying a Sugar3, still kicking myself in the butt for it....

picked up a Kona Ku frame 2 years ago, built it up as a single speed and only ridden it once, the conversion using a singleator is a joke, chain jumps to much, converting it back to 8 speed XT/XTR components. Not sure what year this was manufactured, it is polished alum finish. I dont think it was ever ridden when I got it....

NO PAIN, NO GAIN!
    I have just three...

2005 Kona The King
    2007 Kona Unit
    2007 Kona King Zing

But comming soon:

2008 Paddy Wagon
    2008 Major Jake
    Mi Vida Loca

BLOG

NO PAIN, NO GAIN!
    I have just three...

2005 Kona The King
    2007 Kona Unit
    2007 Kona King Zing

But comming soon:

2008 Paddy Wagon
    2008 Major Jake
    Mi Vida Loca

BLOG

mtbr member
    Had a 95ish Kilauea, then got the shop I worked at to pick up Kona's so I could get another 98 Explosif (which I still have, it got an all new drive train a few years back and is now 9spd XT instead of the 8spd it came with), the Wifey had a Lava Dome. In the years since I've had a Humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa (still the coolest name to take up a complete tube on a bike) and a Stinky.

Kinda like these bikes

mtbr member
    welcome dsfa and nice list.

NO PAIN, NO GAIN!
    Couple of foto:

King Zing:

The King:

Unit:
    Mi Vida Loca

BLOG

curds and gravy fool

fuel the Kona love

I own four and have yet to part with one:

1994 Kilauea- setup for out of town guest use and pre-prime time handlebar experiment bike.
    2003 Unit- sits as a frame.
    2006 Sutra- fixed commuter horse.
    2007 Unit 29- fully rigid, midge bar.
    Sometimes you gotta hold onto the grass to stop from flying off the earth.

StraightOuttaCompton
    one. 05 kona fire mountain but i might get the new five-O when it comes out
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    not usually a road bike lover but that king zing is real nice,props to you szabsci.

and djponee i reckon you should go for the five-0 without hesitation.

Mommy's Little Monster
    Only one here so far....

2006 CoilAir

Hope to aquire more...maybe after Kona has another Demo Day in AZ.

StraightOuttaCompton
    ya i might buy it and i can get 10-20% off too so that = 120-240$ off. That'll bring it down to around 1000$ which is pretty cheap for such good specs
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've had/purchased quite a few Konas..

1. 1994 Kilauea (stolen from me within 6 months of owning it - repossessed by police 2 years later and returned to me! Now it has been restored as a 23 lbs street bike on fully retro parts!)

2. 1994 Fire Mountain (bought in 2007 for $35 but the 'Killa' canibalized it for it's Project Two fork, still have everything but the stem and fork for this bike)

3. 1994 Kula (Bought this to replace the 'Killa'. This Kula frame cracked after 6 hardcore years, below head tube - thank God for Kona's Lifetime Warranty!)

4. 2000 Kula (Kona gave me this frame to replace the the cracked 94 Kula - 2 years later it was stolen!)

5. 2002 Bear (Still lovin' it)

6. 2004 Lisa DS (for the wife)

7. 2005 Cinder Cone (for the brother-in-law)

Needless to say I'm in love with Konas and Kona has always backed me whenever I had problems. I just don't feel like many companies in the world warrant so much praise from its customers. I'll be buying Konas for the rest of my life and I plan on keeping every single one of em'

mtbr member
    416to212...

maybe you should buy a lock.

sorry it sucks when they get pinched and nice list to say the least.

ive only ever warrantied one frame and that was the first kona i bought,but im on my second now and aint looking back.

and that king zing still gives me tingles mmmmmm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My first real mountain bike is a 2001 Kona Cinder Cone. Right now I'm looking at getting a 2007 Kona King. My LBS is selling one for $1699.

Kona Afficionado
    Jul 2010
    I've had 5 - 2009 Blast, 2010 King Kahuna, 2009 Major Jake, 2011 King Kahuna, 2011 Hei Hei 2-9. I only have the Hei Hei and Major Jake due to cohabitation enforced space issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Used to have an 08 dawg delux now have a 10 cadabra,10 unit,10 jake the snake.Thinking about getting
    a satori or honzo

thecentralscrutinizer
    2011 update:
    2001 Pahoehoe - sold
    2004 Kula Primo - sold
    2005 Kula Primo - wife's
    2009 Rad (Major) Jake - mine
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am on the first one I have owned but not the first I have ridden. Hired some in the past plus a friend has had a couple.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have owned 7 total, the latest being an abracadabra.

mtbr member
    At the moment (2) ... but always looking for #3

See signature.
    '12 Transition Bandit29
    '14 Kona Big Unit
    '94 Kona Explosif

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just picked up my first today - it's a 1995 Kilauea. Needs some refreshing, but I'm sure it'll be awesome.

weekend warrior
    Sep 2006
    I have owned 2: a 2005 Coiler that I cracked the frame on in August and I just picked up a Satori as the replacement. Only 1 ride so far on the Satori but I'm liking it a lot.

Ride a bike
    I own 3 Kona bikes:

2007 Dawg Deluxe
    2009 Zing
    2009 Jake the Snake

I'm thinking of selling the Dawg since my riding style has changed. I have phased into XC/endurance and of course XC racing. The Dawg will not work. I will probably buy something that's not Kona for this bike. I use the Zing for training and for use on my Kurt Kenetic. The JTS is my favorite of the 3 and I ride it in the trails and race CX with it. I love this bike.

I'm going to pick up a 2012 Kona Unit around February.

-Cheers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    19 - Most are just frames now and couple were stolen.

1991 Hahanna (2)
    1992 Hahanna
    1992 Explosif Pro
    1992 Explosif (2)
    1992 Fire Mountain (2) Stolen
    1993 Kilauea
    1993 Hot Frame
    1993 Cinder Cone
    1993 Lava Dome
    1993 Fire Mountain
    1994 Lava Dome
    1994 Hahanna (2) Stolen
    1995 Koa
    1996 Lava Dome
    2002 Lava Dome

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Recently picked up a 2006 Kula Deluxe. Kinda surprised there aren't many posts about this bike.

Bike Rentals, Cave Creek
    Dec 2011
    2 Jake the Snakes (54 cm and 56cm), a Munimula and a JOE - so 4.

But then we opened a bike rental company in Cave Creek, AZ and ordered 4 Zing Deluxe's, 5 Kahuna's and 3 Africa 3's.

So now I've owned (and still own) 16 Kona's!

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by TreS View Post
    Recently picked up a 2006 Kula Deluxe. Kinda surprised there aren't many posts about this bike.
    Try looking for info on the Ku which is the handbuilt version of the Kula.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer View Post
    Try looking for info on the Ku which is the handbuilt version of the Kula.
    Here's a link for Kona's 1997 catalogue (retrobike UK website)
    retrobike ::

... it has the overall ad, specs & geometry.
    '12 Transition Bandit29
    '14 Kona Big Unit
    '94 Kona Explosif

EXORCIZE
    Two.

After I broke my first 29er HT frame, I ordered a Niner SIR9. While waiting, I found a used '07 Kula 29 (scandium HT) at an irressitable price so I rode that while waiting. Loved it. After concluding the Niner geometruy wasnt'for me, I got a '11 Unit (rigid SS) and absolutely love it. I'm currently planning to get another Unit and building it up on the trail/AM end of things. Good stuff.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429 Trail
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    One-
    1995 Kona Kula still own still ride it!
    would be interested in picking up an old 1995-ish Cinder Cone if anyone has one in a 14" frame?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lets see...when I was young I got a 1992 Kona Fire Mountain...stolen from the mall..bastards!

1996 Kona Sex One
    2002 Kona Stinky Primo (Frame) mtbr
    2002 Bear (Frame)
    2007 Kikapu Deluxe (Frame)

Girlfriend: 2002 MokoMoko $450 barely ridden 2009 CL

Friends:
    2001 King Kikapu $500 ebay back in 2007
    2003 Dawg $375 craigslist 2008
    2004 Stinky new
    2005 Dawg $500 CL 2010
    2005 Dawg Deluxe $500 CL 2010
    2009 Dawg Supreme $1000 ebay....best deal yet 2011

Out of all of em...2 issues Finally cracked my 96 Sex One seatstay last year, replaced the frame with a 07 Kikapu Deluxe, 2002 Stinky Primo bearings went out & I never replaced them, siezed up and it wallowed out after too much Whistler.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Five-O
    Stab (sold)
    '07 Stinky (rebuilt as my jump bike)
    '08 Stinky Built-Tweaked (Sharing duties as my DH rig)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'll play...
    Current- "A", Year unknown, 2008 Kapu, Custom "Doug the Fox" (Fancy Jake the Snake built exclusively for Bow Cycle), 2+2, Humu

Years past... 2000? Moko Moko, 03 Stinky Delux, 2006(i think) Coil air supreme, 2008 Dawg Supreme , 2009 Paddy Wagon , 2009 Kula 2-9, 2010 Abra Cadabra.
    I know I'm a ****...
    I love Konas and in the first time in years i cheated on them and got a big S road bike... I

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice thread!

1. 2006 Cinder Cone: My first love!

2. 2007 The King. Beautiful race machine. So far the one I liked the most. Incredible geometry.

3. 2007 Fire Mountain for my wife

4. 2008 Fire Mountain Deluxe (still own it and has seen some nice upgrades including Mavic wheels, XTR derailleurs, LX V-Brakes, Race Face Deus crankset and cromoly fork). This has been the bike I have ridden and kept the most.

5. 2008 Dawg Supreme. I believe Kona reached the peak on how to configure an incredible bike at an amazing price (Full XT, Race Face Deus and Crossmax wheels for $4k!).

6. 2008 Kona Four. Bought the frame off ebay in 2009 and finally built the bike last year (only to find out that the frame flexes too much under braking - I am a 280# clyde at the moment). A real pity because it is a very nice set up as well: XT Dual Controls, Race Face Deus cockpit, Crossmax ST wheels, RP23, Fox RLC 100, 180mm brake rotors.

Right now I'm selling the Kona Four and a Santa Cruz Nomad to get me back into riding and loosing weight. So hopefully in the next month or so I should get:

Satori for my daily riding and a Big Kahuna frame to set it up as my race bike. Most likely it will have full SRAM XO and... (I don't know... I'll see when I get there!).

Cheers!

mtbr member

Good job!

1. 1997 Kilauea - my first real xc race bike. I upgraded to a Red Z2 Bomber. Rode it for a year then gave it to my dad when I upgraded. It unfortunately was stolen out of the backseat of his car while we were at a cycling meeting for all of 40 minutes. He received and still has his 1998 Explosif as a replacement.

2. 1997 Hei Hei (King Kahuna). I bought this bike through their racer program at our local bike shop. I still ride this bike weekly. When in geared form, the only parts that have been replaced due to wear are rims, tires, saddle and two chainrings. The only component that I changed due to preference is the handlebar. I think these were the early days of risers for xc and mine came with a Kona DH bar. Currently it is a single speed and is a hoot to ride on the trails. Kona really got it right with this bike, although many of their bikes are still pretty awesome.

3. 2003 Kona Stuff. My first foray into freeride. I immediately swapped for the orange Hayes hydraulic brakes that the shop had laying around from previous year's Kona's. This bike did everything from street, dirt jumps and DH. The only weakness was the EXR fork, I ended up snapping the arch from the fork leg. Luckily Marzocchi had a replacement program at the time and I was able to upgrade to a DJ1 fork for $100. I ended up selling this guy in 2006 when I built up a pretty burly Norco Torrent for DH.

Kona is still pretty awesome, although I think they should go back to being kind of kooky with their Hawaiian themed stuff just to stand out against the crowd.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    my last. a 2010 major jake with a bottom head tube reamed so far out of spec that the shop had to come up with a +.004 CK bottom cup. that, and a ridiculously reamed seat tube.

my 1999 TST KK was embarrassed, to say the least.
    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    and a full fingerprint underneath the clear coat.
    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

mtbr member
    As of this moment 2 with a 3rd on the way!
    My first is the purple Unit '06-'07, love it so much I bought a 2011 Unit frame and built it up geared with parts off my Stump Jumper. This was supposed to be my winter/snow bike, but turned out waaay too nice for that.
    Gonna pick up another purple Unit in the coming days and use the parts I have around to build it up as a beater.
    What can I say, I love my Units!
    Too soon old-Too late smart!

mtbr member
    As originally purchased...

After a little upgrading....

My 2011 build, I don't have any pics since swapping the crankset for an XT and upgrading the brakes to white Elixirs....

mtbr member
    Finished this build about a month ago.
    Bought the frame, seatpost, headset, stem, bars and tires from a friend for $225!
    Had all the other parts laying around, also have a set of Nokian studded tires for when the weather turns cold and icy.
    I've done a few rides so far, loving it! My only problem now is deciding which Kona to ride!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My first Kona was a 2001 Firemountain in *****in Blue. Loved this frame. Something about the geo just worked for me. I sold it to a buddy who gave it back to me recently. The chain stays corroded through on the bottom. It's too bad. I did get my hands on a brand new Steely frame though! It will be my winter project.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

retro-lover

two konas for me - a 94 fire mountain - my bicycle soul mate - stolen in the city of brotherly love...

and a sweet 95 cinder cone.

always looking for another 94 fire mountain - if any of you have any leads!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was wandering home and hit a yard sale,picked up a 5.00$ 1990 Humuhumunukuapu'a (sic) It turned out the chainstay was broke. A buddy did a sweet braze job on it,then I hose clamped a plastic tire iron over that for safety reasons,sort of a splint.
    The bike has been used regularly around town,nightime bar runs,etc. Shortly after buying it,it went to Burning Man,hauled 6 blocks of ice on the giganto milk crate I zip tied on the rear rack,then it did another years duty at Burning Man,no problems,no breakage,nice light single speed and no extra gears to seize up in the Playa dust. I still ride it every week.

Such a nice bike, I bought a 2012 Hei Hei Deluxe 29er and have ridden it nearly every day its been here,I even quit riding my road bike and have been riding the Hei Hei on road rides.
    I just like it,it fits me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm on my first Kona, a 2012 King Kahuna... looking to pick up a unit or big unit here in the near future as a play-bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've owned one: a Kona Dew Drop. I bought it when I got back into cycling after a 15 year hiatus. I'm thinking of getting a mountain bike, and one of the local shops is pushing (hard) a Kona Hei Hei Deluxe over a Giant Anthem. Not looking to compare brands; why is there not much mention of the Hei Heis here?
    Last edited by ARE.; 10-19-2012 at 05:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Saw this thread and couldn't believe I've had 4!
    Kona Unit- 2003 (I think)
    Kona Explosif 29- 2006
    Kona Paddy Wagon- 2007
    Kona Raijin- 2012

I guess all of my Kona's have been singlespeeds thus far. I've enjoyed all of them. Truly excited about the Raijin! I might look at Kona for my next trail bike.

Cheers!

chunk junkie
    I have two konas. a heavily modded 2011 tanuki dl and a mostly stock 2013 unit. I have a hard time picking one over the other on the regg.

mtbr member
    I've had three.

Originally 2004 Coiler Dee-Lux (best bike i've ever owned, shouldn't have parted ways with it... I even made the news with it when I did a three day long downhill from the mountains in Riverside County, to the desert in San Diego County)

Then I got a 2004 Stinky... nice bike, a lot of comments when riding around town... but too heavy for me

Now i'm back on a 2004 Coiler but it needs work to get to where I want it to be...

I love the classic Konas, 2004 was my favorite year if you can't tell....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 29