Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    19 - Most are just frames now and couple were stolen.

1991 Hahanna (2)
    1992 Hahanna
    1992 Explosif Pro
    1992 Explosif (2)
    1992 Fire Mountain (2) Stolen
    1993 Kilauea
    1993 Hot Frame
    1993 Cinder Cone
    1993 Lava Dome
    1993 Fire Mountain
    1994 Lava Dome
    1994 Hahanna (2) Stolen
    1995 Koa
    1996 Lava Dome
    2002 Lava Dome

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Recently picked up a 2006 Kula Deluxe. Kinda surprised there aren't many posts about this bike.

Bike Rentals, Cave Creek
    Dec 2011
    2 Jake the Snakes (54 cm and 56cm), a Munimula and a JOE - so 4.

But then we opened a bike rental company in Cave Creek, AZ and ordered 4 Zing Deluxe's, 5 Kahuna's and 3 Africa 3's.

So now I've owned (and still own) 16 Kona's!

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by TreS View Post
    Recently picked up a 2006 Kula Deluxe. Kinda surprised there aren't many posts about this bike.
    Try looking for info on the Ku which is the handbuilt version of the Kula.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer View Post
    Try looking for info on the Ku which is the handbuilt version of the Kula.
    Here's a link for Kona's 1997 catalogue (retrobike UK website)
    retrobike ::

... it has the overall ad, specs & geometry.
    '12 Transition Bandit29
    '12 Transition TransAM 29
    '13 On-One Inbred 29'er LTD ED Single Speed

EXORCIZE
    Two.

After I broke my first 29er HT frame, I ordered a Niner SIR9. While waiting, I found a used '07 Kula 29 (scandium HT) at an irressitable price so I rode that while waiting. Loved it. After concluding the Niner geometruy wasnt'for me, I got a '11 Unit (rigid SS) and absolutely love it. I'm currently planning to get another Unit and building it up on the trail/AM end of things. Good stuff.
    ride natty ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    One-
    1995 Kona Kula still own still ride it!
    would be interested in picking up an old 1995-ish Cinder Cone if anyone has one in a 14" frame?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lets see...when I was young I got a 1992 Kona Fire Mountain...stolen from the mall..bastards!

1996 Kona Sex One
    2002 Kona Stinky Primo (Frame) mtbr
    2002 Bear (Frame)
    2007 Kikapu Deluxe (Frame)

Girlfriend: 2002 MokoMoko $450 barely ridden 2009 CL

Friends:
    2001 King Kikapu $500 ebay back in 2007
    2003 Dawg $375 craigslist 2008
    2004 Stinky new
    2005 Dawg $500 CL 2010
    2005 Dawg Deluxe $500 CL 2010
    2009 Dawg Supreme $1000 ebay....best deal yet 2011

Out of all of em...2 issues Finally cracked my 96 Sex One seatstay last year, replaced the frame with a 07 Kikapu Deluxe, 2002 Stinky Primo bearings went out & I never replaced them, siezed up and it wallowed out after too much Whistler.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Five-O
    Stab (sold)
    '07 Stinky (rebuilt as my jump bike)
    '08 Stinky Built-Tweaked (Sharing duties as my DH rig)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'll play...
    Current- "A", Year unknown, 2008 Kapu, Custom "Doug the Fox" (Fancy Jake the Snake built exclusively for Bow Cycle), 2+2, Humu

Years past... 2000? Moko Moko, 03 Stinky Delux, 2006(i think) Coil air supreme, 2008 Dawg Supreme , 2009 Paddy Wagon , 2009 Kula 2-9, 2010 Abra Cadabra.
    I know I'm a ****...
    I love Konas and in the first time in years i cheated on them and got a big S road bike... I

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice thread!

1. 2006 Cinder Cone: My first love!

2. 2007 The King. Beautiful race machine. So far the one I liked the most. Incredible geometry.

3. 2007 Fire Mountain for my wife

4. 2008 Fire Mountain Deluxe (still own it and has seen some nice upgrades including Mavic wheels, XTR derailleurs, LX V-Brakes, Race Face Deus crankset and cromoly fork). This has been the bike I have ridden and kept the most.

5. 2008 Dawg Supreme. I believe Kona reached the peak on how to configure an incredible bike at an amazing price (Full XT, Race Face Deus and Crossmax wheels for $4k!).

6. 2008 Kona Four. Bought the frame off ebay in 2009 and finally built the bike last year (only to find out that the frame flexes too much under braking - I am a 280# clyde at the moment). A real pity because it is a very nice set up as well: XT Dual Controls, Race Face Deus cockpit, Crossmax ST wheels, RP23, Fox RLC 100, 180mm brake rotors.

Right now I'm selling the Kona Four and a Santa Cruz Nomad to get me back into riding and loosing weight. So hopefully in the next month or so I should get:

Satori for my daily riding and a Big Kahuna frame to set it up as my race bike. Most likely it will have full SRAM XO and... (I don't know... I'll see when I get there!).

Cheers!

mtbr member

Good job!

1. 1997 Kilauea - my first real xc race bike. I upgraded to a Red Z2 Bomber. Rode it for a year then gave it to my dad when I upgraded. It unfortunately was stolen out of the backseat of his car while we were at a cycling meeting for all of 40 minutes. He received and still has his 1998 Explosif as a replacement.

2. 1997 Hei Hei (King Kahuna). I bought this bike through their racer program at our local bike shop. I still ride this bike weekly. When in geared form, the only parts that have been replaced due to wear are rims, tires, saddle and two chainrings. The only component that I changed due to preference is the handlebar. I think these were the early days of risers for xc and mine came with a Kona DH bar. Currently it is a single speed and is a hoot to ride on the trails. Kona really got it right with this bike, although many of their bikes are still pretty awesome.

3. 2003 Kona Stuff. My first foray into freeride. I immediately swapped for the orange Hayes hydraulic brakes that the shop had laying around from previous year's Kona's. This bike did everything from street, dirt jumps and DH. The only weakness was the EXR fork, I ended up snapping the arch from the fork leg. Luckily Marzocchi had a replacement program at the time and I was able to upgrade to a DJ1 fork for $100. I ended up selling this guy in 2006 when I built up a pretty burly Norco Torrent for DH.

Kona is still pretty awesome, although I think they should go back to being kind of kooky with their Hawaiian themed stuff just to stand out against the crowd.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    my last. a 2010 major jake with a bottom head tube reamed so far out of spec that the shop had to come up with a +.004 CK bottom cup. that, and a ridiculously reamed seat tube.

my 1999 TST KK was embarrassed, to say the least.
    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    and a full fingerprint underneath the clear coat.
    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

mtbr member
    As of this moment 2 with a 3rd on the way!
    My first is the purple Unit '06-'07, love it so much I bought a 2011 Unit frame and built it up geared with parts off my Stump Jumper. This was supposed to be my winter/snow bike, but turned out waaay too nice for that.
    Gonna pick up another purple Unit in the coming days and use the parts I have around to build it up as a beater.
    What can I say, I love my Units!
    Too soon old-Too late smart!

mtbr member
    As originally purchased...

After a little upgrading....

My 2011 build, I don't have any pics since swapping the crankset for an XT and upgrading the brakes to white Elixirs....

mtbr member
    Finished this build about a month ago.
    Bought the frame, seatpost, headset, stem, bars and tires from a friend for $225!
    Had all the other parts laying around, also have a set of Nokian studded tires for when the weather turns cold and icy.
    I've done a few rides so far, loving it! My only problem now is deciding which Kona to ride!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My first Kona was a 2001 Firemountain in *****in Blue. Loved this frame. Something about the geo just worked for me. I sold it to a buddy who gave it back to me recently. The chain stays corroded through on the bottom. It's too bad. I did get my hands on a brand new Steely frame though! It will be my winter project.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

retro-lover

two konas for me - a 94 fire mountain - my bicycle soul mate - stolen in the city of brotherly love...

and a sweet 95 cinder cone.

always looking for another 94 fire mountain - if any of you have any leads!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was wandering home and hit a yard sale,picked up a 5.00$ 1990 Humuhumunukuapu'a (sic) It turned out the chainstay was broke. A buddy did a sweet braze job on it,then I hose clamped a plastic tire iron over that for safety reasons,sort of a splint.
    The bike has been used regularly around town,nightime bar runs,etc. Shortly after buying it,it went to Burning Man,hauled 6 blocks of ice on the giganto milk crate I zip tied on the rear rack,then it did another years duty at Burning Man,no problems,no breakage,nice light single speed and no extra gears to seize up in the Playa dust. I still ride it every week.

Such a nice bike, I bought a 2012 Hei Hei Deluxe 29er and have ridden it nearly every day its been here,I even quit riding my road bike and have been riding the Hei Hei on road rides.
    I just like it,it fits me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm on my first Kona, a 2012 King Kahuna... looking to pick up a unit or big unit here in the near future as a play-bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've owned one: a Kona Dew Drop. I bought it when I got back into cycling after a 15 year hiatus. I'm thinking of getting a mountain bike, and one of the local shops is pushing (hard) a Kona Hei Hei Deluxe over a Giant Anthem. Not looking to compare brands; why is there not much mention of the Hei Heis here?
    Last edited by ARE.; 10-19-2012 at 05:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Saw this thread and couldn't believe I've had 4!
    Kona Unit- 2003 (I think)
    Kona Explosif 29- 2006
    Kona Paddy Wagon- 2007
    Kona Raijin- 2012

I guess all of my Kona's have been singlespeeds thus far. I've enjoyed all of them. Truly excited about the Raijin! I might look at Kona for my next trail bike.

Cheers!

chunk junkie
    I have two konas. a heavily modded 2011 tanuki dl and a mostly stock 2013 unit. I have a hard time picking one over the other on the regg.

mtbr member
    I've had three.

Originally 2004 Coiler Dee-Lux (best bike i've ever owned, shouldn't have parted ways with it... I even made the news with it when I did a three day long downhill from the mountains in Riverside County, to the desert in San Diego County)

Then I got a 2004 Stinky... nice bike, a lot of comments when riding around town... but too heavy for me

Now i'm back on a 2004 Coiler but it needs work to get to where I want it to be...

I love the classic Konas, 2004 was my favorite year if you can't tell....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast