Bnerd

Honzo and the WBP...

...sure, why not!

If anyone is still wondering about the burliness and adaptability of the Honzo no need to worry.
    I rode the Honzo in the Whistler Bike Park a few evenings ago and thoroughly enjoyed myself.
    By no means was my ride a definitive test. But I think the bike did well.

The ride was the weekly WORCA (Whistler Off Road Cycling Association) Toonie Ride/Race. This past week's ride had us pedaling up into the bike park and then descending.
    The descending portion of the course was down technical Blue trails (Karate Monkey and Samurai Pizza Cat) and Blue jump trails (Lower Crank It Up and Heart Of Darkness).
    The Honzo is still a hardtail so things were very rough at times. However knowing the lines on all these trails helped "smooth" things out a bit. What surprised me was how comfortable the Honzo jumped. My main concern was my seat height because my Reverb collar is still relatively high for jumping. To have my seat at full pedaling height the collar of the Reverb post needs to be up out of the frame quite a distance.
    My only other "complaint" is the Revelation fork. It is not high speed consecutive hits/braking bump kind of fork. At least not under a 6'6" 250lbs rider! My wrists were killing after finishing the Toonie.

I just got the 12x142mm dropouts as well. I did notice a substantial difference in the lack of flex in the rear of the bike compared to the regular QR setup.

There aren't any serious action pics but here are a couple.
    One I took with my phone at the start and the second is by the business who hosted this past week's Toonie, the Garbanzo Bike & Bean.

There was about 200 people who attended this past Thursday's Toonie.
    Honzo and the WBP...-20130523_182624.jpg

My legs were in cramptastic condition at this point. It was about 1/2 of the way up.
    Honzo and the WBP...-toonie-suffering.jpg

----
    Three side notes:
    1- The MRP micro guide should actually be delivered to my LBS on Monday. The ordeal that I've had to go through to get the right guide would take a whole other thread!

2- I received warranty parts directly from SUNRingle for my rear hub. Now I have a higher engaging freehub which should, hopefully, lead to a longer life span of the freehub.

3- I was reminded again of how shitty the stock Shimano rear hub is. Because my SUNRingle freehub gave it up about a month ago I swapped in the stock rear wheel to keep me riding while I waited on repair/warranty of the Charger Pro freehub. I got a total of 2 rides out of the Shimano freehub before it disintegrated!
    This is a freehub that was warrantied last year after 3 weeks of riding and then took 2.5 months to be fixed (see the Honzo Build Thread for background on that). Once the Shimano hub was fixed I didn't use that wheel thinking to keep it as backup.
    What an F'n SHITTY piece of bike equipment!!
    2 rides on the warranty replacement freehub before it **** the bed!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Nice- now go hit the westside! Cheap Thrills!

Bnerd
    Been all over the Westside trails with the Honzo!
    Although, I've yet to ride Cheap Thrills on it.
    Soon, though. Soon!

Was just out this afternoon on the Honzo and rode High Society, Three Birds, AC/DC and High Voltage. Was almost spanked a few times riding well beyond what the fork and stock brakes could deal with! Besides those two little niggles I had a blast! I love riding a "small" HT bike at speed on bigger lines. It gives me that fun-scary feeling!
    I've been pushing the Honzo harder and harder. The biggest thing that is challenging me is the fork, the Revelation. I seriously outrode the fork on this afternoon's ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So you got the 12x142's on a blue 2012 honzo? How much? Does it stiffen up the rear end enough to be worth it?

I have a 140mm pushed fox 34 now, and its substantially better than the revelation damper on longer downhills.

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusSommers View Post
    So you got the 12x142's on a blue 2012 honzo? How much? Does it stiffen up the rear end enough to be worth it?

I have a 140mm pushed fox 34 now, and its substantially better than the revelation damper on longer downhills.
    I've noticed quite a difference. But I'm a big guy who rides very aggressively on big/gnarly terrain.
    The biggest difference was with cornering and changing lines in the rough at speed. I find that the 142mm axle has the back end holding firmer (less torsion) when I corner and change lines in a hard manner.
    I think it was well worth the cost. I can't remember exactly how much it was but I think it was around $60-$80 for the 142mm dropouts and maxle.

What I notice now is whether the rear wheel's spokes are tensioned properly. If the tension is out then I get rub from the tire on the frame when cornering hard or pedaling hard.
    I've just had a new (lightly used rims - MTX33) wheelset built up. So far I've only taken a few laps around the neighbourhood but have tried to drop the hammer in a hard gear to get the tire to rub and it has yet to happen. I'm stoked with the shop and wheelsmith I've found here in town! James at The Fix in Whistler.

As to the Revelation I'll ride this fork on the Honzo until it breaks. Yeah, it doesn't really manage the hard riding very well but it is rideable. I have another bike build on the go so my money is tied up in buying parts for that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Good info. I would love to upgrade the dropouts to through axle.