mtbr member

Honzo - Granny Ring

Finishing up a Honzo build and have the standard 1X9 setup with a 32T chainring and E*13 LG1+ chainguide. Given the amount of technical climbs in NE, I may be struggling at first with the 32T chainring. Has anyone left the chainguide off and gone with a smaller inner ring? I was thinking about a 28T with a standard bolt-on bashguard. Any thoughts on if this would work with chain line or other unforeseen issues?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm curious about this too. We have some steep climbs around here and I am thinking about a build.

Bnerd
    You won't be able to use the stock cranks or BB.
    The stock cranks/spider doesn't have inserts for installing a granny ring and the stock BB can't be spaced properly if you do have a spider that accepts a granny.

I have been looking into getting a spiderless chainring but that would require me to buy new cranks and a BB.
    I'm surviving with the 32T chain ring but the bigger/longer climbs still have me on the verge of exploding with the stock gearing on the Honzo.

Someone in the Honzo Build Thread has posted up a build that is using a 2 ring set-up. I believe they used a Blackspire Stinger E and an E-Type FD. I think he had to modify the Stinger to get it to work properly.

mtbr member
    I've been riding my Honzo since May. I also do all my riding in NE and at first the climbs where tough with the stock gearing. I soon learned that the bike likes to be ridden aggressively. It's not a sit and spin set up by any means. Get up, get out of the saddle, and mash it up the hills. You'll soon be conditioned for it and won't have too much trouble. Point it in the right direction and go full steam ahead and you'll eat it up!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have just installed a SRAM X9 crankset and 28t MRP Bling ring on my Honzo and it absolutely rips! I run 1x10 with a modified e13 ls1 chainguide and 11-36 cassette. My local trails are steep tight single track with rocky rooty downhills. With a 32t chainring I gased out on the climbs and only used the top half of the cassette. With the 28t I can clear most climbs and now use the entire cassette during a ride. 28t on a 1x10 29er is an awesome option if your local tracks are steep and rough. Plus the the Bling ring is BLING!