mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Honzo climbing and general trail use?

Hi,

I've never enjoyed 29 size bikes but tried a Honzo and wow was that fun. The first 29r I tried that had a front end that felt fun.

With only a bike shop parking lot and ditch to try, how are these for short steep climbs and old school twisty stuff in the woods?

My thoughts and reason for trying it are a bike for going car-free to some small areas each 4 miles from home. It's not so fun to do that with my dirt jumper low seat or my squishy bike.

FYI: The new bike in the shop had a clunk when the front brake was on. Is that characteristic of the Shimano brakes or the Revelation? I only know Fox and Hayes or Avid brakes well.

Thx for opinions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Bitflogger-

I have a Kona Honzo with a 140mm travel fork in the front. For context, it's an XL and I am 6 foot 5. I've got a 70mm stem on it.

I just spend a long weekend in VT (Kingdom Trails) riding lots of twisty, rooty trails with short steep climbs.

Answering your question is tricky - because climbing is as much about technique as anything else. Would a bike with steeper angles do better? Probably- but I have a lot of fun climbing on my Honzo, and I love climbing. I have also gotten much much better at descending - something that the Honzo has helped with.

I agree with you that the bike is playful - and you can slide that rear wheel back if you want to feel a little more planted on the descents. On tight twisty trails, I feel like I can pick the front wheel up and place it where I want it - I'm quite satisfied with how the bike handles in those situations. And I've got closer to a 67d head angle on mine with my taller fork!

I would not hesitate to get one. Can't speak to the clunk though, sorry! I built mine up over time with ebay parts.

Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Hi,

I've never enjoyed 29 size bikes but tried a Honzo and wow was that fun. The first 29r I tried that had a front end that felt fun.

With only a bike shop parking lot and ditch to try, how are these for short steep climbs and old school twisty stuff in the woods?

My thoughts and reason for trying it are a bike for going car-free to some small areas each 4 miles from home. It's not so fun to do that with my dirt jumper low seat or my squishy bike.

FYI: The new bike in the shop had a clunk when the front brake was on. Is that characteristic of the Shimano brakes or the Revelation? I only know Fox and Hayes or Avid brakes well.

Thx for opinions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    Bitflogger-

I would not hesitate to get one. Can't speak to the clunk though, sorry! I built mine up over time with ebay parts.

Thank you.

The clunk was the center lock rotor - my first of that that type.

A new Honzo is in the garage with a Race Face wide/narrow ring replacing the chain guide that was on it.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thank you.

The clunk was the center lock rotor - my first of that that type.

A new Honzo is in the garage with a Race Face wide/narrow ring replacing the chain guide that was on it.

Thanks again.
    Excellent! Post a picture in the Honzo pictures forum. Welcome to the club.

mtbr member
    when i had a Honzo that is exactly what i used it for, perfect bike to ride a few miles to the trails, much better than taking the full squish bike.

rjx
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogbox View Post
    when i had a Honzo that is exactly what i used it for, perfect bike to ride a few miles to the trails
    What if I wanted to use the Honzo not just for fun trails, but for flat rides of around 30 miles round trip?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    When I ride in town to a park with a few trails in it, I generally ride for 20-23 miles. I would estimate that 15-17 miles are flat. To me the Honzo is a blast to ride regardless. I just look for urban features to break up the monotony of the road. Running down roadies is also fun. That doesn't happen too often though. I can hit 20-21 MPH but the tires I am rolling with make for a very bursty top end.
    Last edited by beer_coffee_water; 05-31-2014 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I am great at leaving words out of sentences.

rjx
    mtbr member
    Thanks beer

Nor­wegr
    There isn't really anything wrong with riding it on the flats, but with the max ring being a 32t you'll spin out more often than not.

For everything else I love mine, never really notice that it's missing a shock on the back.
    CFR Scalpel
    Kona Honzo
    Diamant Mammut Mk1

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    quite honestly I think mine climbs well. I have set several KOM on variuous climbs in the area. from short, to long to smooth, to rough I think its pretty fast. I prefer it over my lighter redline on all climbs except smooth steep climbs.

I sometimes wish I had a lock out fork but then I could not dial in compression.

I am riding a 5'11 200lb riding a M with a 35m stem and 720 mm bars and 34/20 single speed gearing, bike weighs just under 27lb with pedals.

to be fair I got this bike for this, not for climbs. It vastly more fun going downhill then my Full suspension (Giant Anthem X 29er) due to is far better geometery.