Shimano 12-36t cassette
Niner 32t front chain ring
XT rear shifter
BBG bash
N-gear Jumpstop
Cane Creek Headset / inset top, external lower

27 lbs. 13 ounces

Here's my review after my first ride today:

Just got back from ATT and I'm really, really, happy with the bike.

First of all, I expected the front end to wander on steep climbs, but it stuck, no wandering. This has a lot to do with the steep seat tube. It felt very efficient without any discernable bottom bracket flex. I expected this because the tubes Kona uses are fatter than my old Niner MCR 9. This frame weighs 5.75lbs. where the Niner 853 steel frame weighed 4.5lbs. and doesn't have sliding dropouts. For my weight, about 200lbs., the MCR 9 was nooodly, but comfortable. I felt it absorbed a lot of my pedaling power and the head tube was extremely flexy. The Honzo is a stout frame, and I don't think you can achieve that without it weighing more. I don't notice the weight, but I do notice the power transfer and SOLID feel of the frame. Also, I expected to dab the more technical sections because I'm not tuned to this bike yet, but I cleaned them all.

After reaching the top we lowered our seats and headed back. The words that comes to mind descending on this bike are INSANELY FAWKING AWESOME. Because of the short chain stays, the bike corners like a roller coaster doing a 180. The Honzo's geometry positions you over the rear tire and the pivot point of the bike in the turns. I'm not much of a downhiller, but I was flying and not worrying about any ruts or rocks because the fork and frame just swallowed them up, very confidence inspiring. The chain stays also make coming off jumps more intuitive. With Niner's geometry I always felt like I was waiting for the rear tire when popping off curbs and jumps, but the Kona feels right on.

This is the best bike I have ever owned, period. If you're worried about frame weight, you could save about 1/4-1/2 lb. going with a Canfield Nimble 9. The geometries with 120mm forks are almost identical, but the Nimble 9 has a slacker seat tube, which may affect climbing, and it does not accommodate a tapered fork, two things I really love about the Honzo.

PS - check out this video of the Honzo in action: House of the Big Wheel Part 1: Honzo and Satori on Vimeo

IMG_1499

IMG_1498

See less See more
#6,508 ·
I moved back to the west coast of British Columbia earlier this summer. Picked up a used Ibis Ripmo AF as a burlier bike, and it was fine. But part of me really wanted a hardcore hardtail again. So I flipped the Ripmo frame and picked up an XL ESD. Built it up last weekend — every part of the stock Deore Ibis build swapped right over — and took it slab hunting for a shakedown ride.
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Bicycle Tire Land vehicle Bicycle wheel Wheel

Good times

#6,426 ·
Well thanks to my amazing local shop they were able to source me the Unobtanium 2021 XL Steel Honzo & Manitou Mezzer expert fork! Still waiting on a few 29r wheel build parts for her, but had to take her out for a spin so I tossed on some 27.5+ wheels that sorta fit with about 2mm on each side. I think I'm gonna be in heaven when this thing is dialed.

#6,292 ·
Here's my ESD. I made the incredibly boneheaded decision to sell my previous Honzo as soon as I ordered my 2021 ST. I was told my ST frame would arrive by October at the latest, so naturally I sold my previous over the summer. Doh!

Fast forward to February, my ST frame is still MIA. But, I did find this ESD frame through Grizzly Cycles in CA.

I built it up with a mix of new and used parts. Only had a couple rides, but first impressions align with some obvious assumptions regarding the geometry:

I have access to mountains (I'm in Bellingham) and the descending capabilities do not disappoint. I had a 150mm on my 2014, and a 150mm on this ESD and the plantedness and steeps traction is so much better on the ESD.

The sitting position is super comfortable for climbing and typical pedaling. However, the headangle will for sure take some time to get used to. I crashed twice yesterday…WHILE CLIMBING. Which is ridiculous. If I didn't live in the mountains, I certainly wouldn't ever want an ESD, but rather the ST. This might not be the bike you want for a mellow all-arounder.

Am I sold on the ESD?…not sure yet. Time will tell and I'll keep you all posted. Maybe she needs gears?
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel
Bicycle Wheel Plant Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Plant
Bicycle Bicycle tire Hood Light Motor vehicle

#6,293 ·
Great post and comments. Thanks for sharing your experience with the ESD and commenting on how it's a seriously aggressive hardtail meant for seriously aggressive terrain. That seems to escape some people on here.

Sharp lookin bike though. For SS purposes I would imagine you'll like the standard Honzo ST much better.

#6,394 · (Edited)
I started with a stock build Honzo ESD and have been customizing over the past 6 months. This approach made sense for my budget at the time and the original parts will eventually trickle down to a new build. Changes from stock:
Spank vibrocore 820 bars
Rev grips
Raceface aeffct 170 cranks
MRP bashguide
XT trail pedals
2.6 recons
I9 Hydra rear hub/ Raceface ARC 30 rim
Topeak frame bag
Problem solvers bottle mount slider (to make more room for the bag to expand)
Frame protection: silver vinyl tape, orange silicone tape, lizard skins "carbon leather" on downtube

pending changes (will happen in July)
I9 front wheel to match rear
Shigura M8000/MT5 brakes and magura rotors

#6,433 ·
I had some very temporary problems with the rear wheel on my full suspension. Forced me to ride my older school Honzo for a week. I had forgotten how much I love it. This pic is from 7200 feet this past weekend.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Cloud

A couple of guys I know love their ESDs. I still love mine so much that I'm not jealous of theirs. Yet. Lol.

I ride this bike everywhere I ride my full suspension. I sometimes think about selling every bike I own and keeping only this one.

#6,501 ·
First time post! Picked up a 2022 Honzo ST frame. Had a choice between an ESD or the ST. I liked how my my previous Ti Honzo handled, but sold it when I started riding steep loamers here in BC (bought a Chromag Rootdown). I think I made the right decision with the ST. I have plans for a -1 to 1.5 deg Works Components and to install a DVO Diamond 140mm to be 80% trail, 20% enduro bike.

Honzo ST (M)
RS Lyrik 160mm
Chromag Cutlass 800mm 25mm rise
Chromag Ranger stem 35mm
Chromag Trailmaster LT saddle
Oury Grips
SRAM Code brakes
SLX 12 speed drivetrain
One Up dropper 180mm
Raceface Turbine cranks 170mm w/32t
Chromag BA30 wheels
One up Pedals
29x2.6 Butcher F, 29x2.4 Butcher R

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Tire Bicycle frame

Wheel Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Crankset

#6,375 ·
So here's how she sits right now. Got the Wheels Manufacturing bottom bracket installed. RaceFace 30t oval chainring, RaceFace aeffect cranks, Diety Deftraps, Zeb Ultimate at 160mm. Running my XT 4 piston brakes and XT drivetrain, Spank 50mm rise vibrocore bars. My wheels should be here Monday or Tuesday. This has been an adventure and I'm glad to see it coming together. It's taken parts from all over the county to get it put together. Frame from Grizzly Cycles in California, parts from Thunder in Sedona, fork and wheels from Speedvision in WV, couple orders from Fanatik and Lostco from Bellingham, Jenson and Worldwide has a couple parts I needed to. For anyone looking to build now it's tough but it can be done.
Bicycle tire Shelf Luggage and bags Building Bag
Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire
Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire
Wheel Bicycle Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle hub
Bicycle Crankset Bicycle frame Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle tire
Bicycle Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire
Shoe Photograph Product Textile Fashion

#6,376 ·
So here's how she sits right now. Got the Wheels Manufacturing bottom bracket installed. RaceFace 30t oval chainring, RaceFace aeffect cranks, Diety Deftraps, Zeb Ultimate at 160mm. Running my XT 4 piston brakes and XT drivetrain, Spank 50mm rise vibrocore bars. My wheels should be here Monday or Tuesday. This has been an adventure and I'm glad to see it coming together. It's taken parts from all over the county to get it put together. Frame from Grizzly Cycles in California, parts from Thunder in Sedona, fork and wheels from Speedvision in WV, couple orders from Fanatik and Lostco from Bellingham, Jenson and Worldwide has a couple parts I needed to. For anyone looking to build now it's tough but it can be done. View attachment 1931541 View attachment 1931542 View attachment 1931541 View attachment 1931541 View attachment 1931542 View attachment 1931543 View attachment 1931544 View attachment 1931545 View attachment 1931546 View attachment 1931547
Post complete bike when finished!

4 cross spoke pattern for style or any other reason?

#6,479 · (Edited)
Haven’t been riding much the last year for a variety of reasons but recently did a complete tear down and rebuild of my XL 2017 Honzo and fell back in love all over again. I’d like to try an ESD but I’ve yet to find a trail I couldn’t handle on this bike.

2017 Pike 140
XT drivetrain
Zee brakes with 203/180 ICE discs
Raceface offset AR 30 wheel with bitex hubs (incredible value BTW)
Giant dropper
DHF 2.6 front
Aggressor 2.5 rear
Raceface cranks
Kona Wahwah 2 pedals

Attachments

#6,481 ·
Haven’t been riding much the last year for a variety of reasons but recently did a complete tear down and rebuild of my 2017 Honzo and fell back in love all over again. I’d like to try an ESD but I’ve yet to find a trail I couldn’t handle on this bike.
I know it seems most people like the newer "shinier" updates to that frame. But this 2017 is my FAV! Is that a large?

#6,519 ·
Hi All

I've been following this thread for ages while I've looked for a suitable frame to build up. A 2019 came up earlier this year so I snapped it up while I bought the bits I need.
it had its first ride Sunday morning, Oz time

Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Crankset

Specs are:

Frame - 2019 Kona Honzo ST (L)
Rear shock - N/A
Front shock/fork - Marzocchi Bomber Z2 140mm
Handlebars - Nukeproof Neutron, 25mm rise, 780mm wide
Stem - Nukeproof Neutron AM, 45mm
Headset - Works Angleset, -2deg
Grips - PNW Loam XL - Tan
Saddle - WTB Volt
Seatpost - Bontrager Line Dropper, 150mm with ZTTO remote
Front brake - Shimano Deore BR-M6100
Rear brake - Shimano Deore BR-M6100
Cranks - Shimano Deore FC-M6100, 170mm, 32t chainring
Chainguide - N/A
Chain - CN-M6100
Pedals - Burgtec Composite - Kash Bronze
Front derailleur - N/A
Rear derailleur - Shimano Deore RD-M6100
Front shifter - N/A
Rear shifter - Shimano Deore SL-M6100
Cassette - Shimano Deore CS-M6100
Front hub - Nukeproof Neutron, 15x110mm Boost
Rear hub - Nukeproof Neutron, 148x12mm Boost
Front rim - Nukeproof Neutron v2
Rear rim - Nukeproof Neutron v2
Tyres - Maxxis DHF/Aggressor, 2.5in F/R
Tubes - N/A

#6,525 ·
Wow, that looks amazing!

I've been on the fence about the color and don't have an opportunity to see one in person. Do you have any pics of it outdoors? I'm looking at moving on from my 2018 Honzo AL to this one but I've see so few pics of this color it's hard to tell. I'm not a huge fan of how it looks on Kona's site, but this more green tint and changing color looks sick.

#6,534 · (Edited)
Oh hey! It's been a while!

Nice to see this thread is still producing some great HonzoST builds!

I've resurrected my 2019 HonzoST frame into a #SuperGravelPackingATBCrossX bike! It's so HAWT right now! :LOL:

It's been a winter long project of sourcing and collecting parts. And, finally the rigid fork I ordered finally got delivered! I spent the last few days piecing the build together and finding out that some of the bits I have were missing bolts and washers. Nothing a quick trip to the LBS couldn't solve.

Alright, here comes the photo essay!

The long awaited fork arrived yesterday.
I order this in October of last year with the understanding that it would be a delayed shipping until the end of November 2022. However, the delays continued to stack up until now.
Its an RSD Boost 510 (A2C) fork.
Road surface Symmetry Composite material Font Bicycle part

Look at all these bikepacking zits! I'll be able to attach everything I don't need when I go camping!

I got the bike built up to a rolling chassis yesterday because I found out that some of my parts from the parts bin were missing critical bolts and washers. I guess that's why the parts were in the parts bin! Haha!
Look at that stem spacer stack! I know that this is going to make some people lose their minds!
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Tire Crankset

This bar is an AliExpress/Amazon Corner Bar knockoff. It's carbon and is 640mm wide at the ends of the drops. It has a mildly worrying amount of flex. Fingers crossed it doesn't do me any damage!
The brakes are an Amazon find! They are Tektro Orion brakes knockoffs. They're pretty much just rebranded. I got them for a steal!
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Wheel Bicycle frame

Some rigid fork ogling.
The rotors are SRAM 180mm but I found them listed under some Chinese brand for dirt cheap on Amazon!
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

So close to being ready!
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

And, it's ALIVE!
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

I went out and baptized it on a very short section of gravel.
Plant Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Bicycle fork Bicycle tire

Then took it for some beauty shots.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Land vehicle

Bicycle Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Land vehicle

You can see that my bar taping skills are mediocre. One side has a better fat wrap.
I've also held onto my stem cap from my OG HonzoST that I got in 2012. That frame lived a hard and fantastic riding life. Seven years in it cracked. Kona stepped up and warrantied it with this frame here!
Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle fork

The first ride of the year/season and a new bike build deserve a beer! I put the frame bags to use and picked a 4 pack up on the way home. Unfortunately I could only fit 3 tall cans in instead of 4. Thankfully my pants pocket could take the fourth can!
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

I'm running an angle set of -2° from my previous build on this frame. With the maths I've done the HA should be sitting around 66° with this rigid fork.
Because the fork is so much shorter than any other fork I've ever used on a bike I've had to run a LOT of stem spacers to get the weird bars to a height that I'm comfortable with. It is what it is and I'm happy to run it that way.

My plan for this bike is to get me back riding after a terrible injury last summer mountain biking. I've only just been recently cleared to snowboard this season and I'm waiting to find out if I'll be cleared to ride a bike to coach this summer. This bike will hopefully minimize my risk taking! It's also my gateway to camping again. I do a lot of car camping but it's been a long time since I've done any bakcountry style camping. I used to hike and camp. But, hiking sucks because it's just walking. Haha! I love riding bikes and I really enjoy camping. I figured I'd put the two together because bikepacking is so HAWT right now!

So, there it is!

Oh, @Rynee it's cool to see that you're still hanging out here in this thread! A diehard HonzoST fan you are!!