Shimano 12-36t cassette
Niner 32t front chain ring
XT rear shifter
BBG bash
N-gear Jumpstop
Cane Creek Headset / inset top, external lower

27 lbs. 13 ounces

Here's my review after my first ride today:

Just got back from ATT and I'm really, really, happy with the bike.

First of all, I expected the front end to wander on steep climbs, but it stuck, no wandering. This has a lot to do with the steep seat tube. It felt very efficient without any discernable bottom bracket flex. I expected this because the tubes Kona uses are fatter than my old Niner MCR 9. This frame weighs 5.75lbs. where the Niner 853 steel frame weighed 4.5lbs. and doesn't have sliding dropouts. For my weight, about 200lbs., the MCR 9 was nooodly, but comfortable. I felt it absorbed a lot of my pedaling power and the head tube was extremely flexy. The Honzo is a stout frame, and I don't think you can achieve that without it weighing more. I don't notice the weight, but I do notice the power transfer and SOLID feel of the frame. Also, I expected to dab the more technical sections because I'm not tuned to this bike yet, but I cleaned them all.

After reaching the top we lowered our seats and headed back. The words that comes to mind descending on this bike are INSANELY FAWKING AWESOME. Because of the short chain stays, the bike corners like a roller coaster doing a 180. The Honzo's geometry positions you over the rear tire and the pivot point of the bike in the turns. I'm not much of a downhiller, but I was flying and not worrying about any ruts or rocks because the fork and frame just swallowed them up, very confidence inspiring. The chain stays also make coming off jumps more intuitive. With Niner's geometry I always felt like I was waiting for the rear tire when popping off curbs and jumps, but the Kona feels right on.

This is the best bike I have ever owned, period. If you're worried about frame weight, you could save about 1/4-1/2 lb. going with a Canfield Nimble 9. The geometries with 120mm forks are almost identical, but the Nimble 9 has a slacker seat tube, which may affect climbing, and it does not accommodate a tapered fork, two things I really love about the Honzo.

PS - check out this video of the Honzo in action: House of the Big Wheel Part 1: Honzo and Satori on Vimeo

IMG_1499

IMG_1498

See less See more
#1,082 ·
Honzo Update

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

Hey gang.

A few updates on my Honzo.

Ditched the Wierwolf/Bronson combo for a Hans Dampf 2.4 front (trailstar compound) with a Nobby Nic 2.2 (pacestar compound) in the back. What a fantastic difference that made! The Hans Dampf is flat out amazing. Slow to roll on pavement and very hard trails but otherwise the next level grip and cornering traction it provides is confidence inspiring. The Nobby Nic provides excellent climbing traction and sheds mud much better than the Bronson did. Chose the 2.2 over the 2.4 to save some weight. I definitely don't regret the decision to run this combo. I think the WTV Vigilante is a similar tire to the Hans Dampf, but I wanted to go with something people have vetted. Got them online for way under MSRP. Running with tubes as I didn't have access to an air compressor when I wanted to mount them tubeless. Having my shop mount them tubeless soon.

I also removed the white WTB decals from my rims. Much better looking, and I'm glad to see WTB is moving towards subtler graphics on their KOM rims.

Finally got a newer WTB Laser V Pro saddle. It fits my bum. 'nuff said.

Next upgrade is dropping down to a 30t RaceFace Wide/Narrow ring with a RaceFace bashguard on there, for an imminent trip to the rockies.

Factoid- Still playing with the air pressure in my 2012 Revelation dual Air. Currently at 85 + and - ... compare to the specs on the lowers which say 120. I'm close to getting it perfect.

#1,083 ·
View attachment 831123

Currently at 85 + and - ... compare to the specs on the lowers which say 120. I'm close to getting it perfect.
wow, you must be thin as a rail if you're on an 18" frame. i've had to run >100 in both chambers to keep the dern'd thing from bottoming on all but the smallest drop-offs. And I might, mind you - might, tip the scales at 160 with all of my gear on.

#1,091 ·
The more I ride this the more I love it. Adjustable travel fork definitely helps with how 140mm of travel wanders on the steep climbs.
I've heard this quite often about the wandering front end due to long travel forks but I can't say I've noticed this or aware of what this actually means. Is it more of an issue while seated climbing and not or less noticeable while standing climbing? Can adjusting technique help out more than adjusting travel?

#1,099 ·
The anti-nerd and beer in me has held off long enough to some of the recent questions/concerns in this thread.

As @superstar1 says your f***ing Honzo won't disintegrate into dust. Are you people trying to keep your bikes showroom perfect? Get out and ride your f***ing bikes like you stole them! You'll enjoy them way better that way!
I've done **** all to my frame in regards to rust protection. I ride in a temperate rain forest and my Honzo has shown a very minimal amount of rust in 2 seasons. Even after serious spray washing.

As to the fork height and wandering/climbing conundrum, get the f**k over yourself. Really!
You're complaining about a 140mm/120mm fork wandering on climbs...!
F**k, I regularly pedal my freeride bike with a 180mm fork on sustained steep technical climbs and don't have much issue. My suggestion, learn to change your position on your bike to stop any front end "wandering". There is a reason why saddles have a rounded nose.
When I climb my Honzo I'm f***ing blown away at how well it climbs on sustained steep trails.
For those of you wondering or complaining about wandering front ends in regards to climbing with the Honzo you shoulda just stuck with a 90mm fork on a race XC HT bike. OR you can f***ing move forward on your saddle to keep the front end planted.

Just so you know I ride the f**k outta my Honzo in Whistler.
Every bit of the 2000ft+ descents I do I climb my 140mm Rev with no wandering. Do you know why?.... 'cause I know how to change position on my saddle/bike when the grade of steepness changes.

/rant... for now.

On a side note I have the stock 2012 Revelation Dual Air fork and I run slightly less air pressure than listed on the fork for my weight. I run 132-135psi in the positive chamber and 20psi more in the negative chamber. I'm 245lbs and ride very aggressively on my Honzo. I bottom the fork only occasionally. And I service my fork regularly so it performs beautifully all the time.

Ahhhhh, that feels better.
Now, gimme whatchya got.

Oh, I forgot, mountain biking is seriouzzz biznizzz.

#1,102 ·
I run 132-135psi in the positive chamber and 20psi more in the negative chamber. I'm 245lbs and ride very aggressively on my Honzo. I bottom the fork only occasionally. And I service my fork regularly so it performs beautifully all the time.
Do you find having 20psi more in the negative allows the fork to have better small bump performance? Still getting full travel?

I have basically the same fork, Revelation RLT with DNA damper. It can take some serious abuse, and I really don't notice fork flex at all.

What are you doing for fork service on a regular basis? Seals and oil?

#1,107 ·
Somebody recommended I build one of these Konas, I am 6 foot 4 and real long legged and 285. Any help would be great. I need to go forward for what I do and do not know what to buy. I just ride my bike all over town and make my own trail and take short cuts and jump curbs and stairs and steps.

I do not trust the frame to jump, being 285 do I need a custom? These bikes look nice a person told me they were real stable for high speed going down stairs n stuff? and real tough frame for a large person? any input would be great, thanks for any help.

I am a sit down masher and blast at top speed type rider, what I am riding now works good but I think I can do better.

Somehow this post did not turn out right in it's order, anyhow thanks if you can understand it.

I have a 23 inch RH 26 with Sun 29 MTX 33's and 40 CM tires and Hope Pro 2 Hubs. I like it but want something lower and better to jump and go up and down steps.

#1,112 ·
Well it's been a long time but I finally found the time to get it built. I fired up to get out and ride it! Here are the specs....hopefully it will hold up to my clyde status of 6'5" 275

Frame: 20L
Wheels: Flow laced to Hadley 36h front and rear
Tires: Specialized Ground Control 2.3
Drivetrain:Saint short cage rear derailluer... Ispec Saint Shifter
Fork: Fox Float 34 140
Stem/Bars: Easton Havoc 35mm stem and Carbon Havoc Bars
Headset: Cane Creek
BB: Hope
Cranks: AKA
Front Ring: 28t MRP Bling Ring
Guard: MRP Micro G2
Brakes: Zee with Ice Rotors 203 front , 180 rear
Seatpost: Thompson
Saddle: Charge Spoon
Seatpost Clamp: Chromag
Pedals: DMR Vault
Chain: KMC TI
Grips: ODI Rogue

Attachments

#1,123 ·
FWIW, I am 5'9" with a 30" pants inseam and bought a small (16"). The new frame measures 15" for the seat tube but all other geo is the same as the 2012 for a small. I test rode both a 2013 16" and 18" at felt comfortable on both sizes. The 16" had more attributes I was after. If you have read the whole thread us 5'9" guys use either a 16" or an 18". Hopefully the subjective answer helps you.

#1,126 ·
My build is coming...

I fell in love with the frame when it was first released but I had already bought a bike. Recently, I decided that maybe 29er were not for me and I sold my Intense Spider 29 frame. I decided I was going to build a 650b trailbike with some of the parts from the Intense but that project ate up funds quickly. I was out of cash and sick of riding ss or fatbikes all the time so I found a Honzo at a good price to build up until I can get the funds together for the 650b bike. I am just waiting on a few more parts to arrive but I did get my frame.

I'll post again next week with the results.

Drinkware Carmine Cobalt blue Barware

Can't wait!

#1,127 ·
Upgraditis has struck! I'm in the process of making a new front wheel and re-spoking the rear on my honzo. The orange Chris King rear hub stays. The kinda flaky Marzocchi QR20 knock-off front hub and hand-me-down Flow rim are going to get mothballed, replaced with an NOS NSB hub on a Flow EX laced with 14-15-13 DT Alpine iii spokes. Same rim/spoke combo for the rear rebuild too (I got the box of spokes).

While the wheel is off, I'm doing a dropout experiment. I'm going to cut some raised sliders to see if a scosch more bb height is any good.

It's time to re-seal the Rev too! Gotta get some more 5w suspension oil first though. Thinking of going with Redline if I can find some.

Oh, and new grips.

#1,128 ·
Update

Still no final build but I did get out on her first trail ride yesterday with a mish mash of parts. 28T Wolftooth no drop with X9 crankset and X0 NON clutched der absolutely ruled. So quiet!!! No chain slap and no drops as advertised. We have valleys to ride here so we are usually either climbing or descending, both at decent pitches. 28T front, 36T back was perfect. I was worried about the slacker head angle but I made it up really steep pitches that I have had problems with in the past. It definitely is the only 29er I have ridden that feels quite 26'ish.

Bicycle tire Blue Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle accessory

#1,131 ·
The KORE Repute. The price was right and it's a good looking stem actually. Sorry I was too lazy to unlock the bike and bring it down to take pics. I'll get some good ones once my final build is complete.

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Spoke Bicycle Rim
Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Carbon Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Magenta Azure

There are some nice pics of it in this review: Review: Kore Repute Stem, Mega Bars & Ikon Grips | Factory Jackson

It's super light but still looks burly. So easy to pop up the front now and thanks to the long top tube and the seat angle of the Honzo, I'm climbing as well as I ever have.

#1,132 ·
Keepin' it Kona

The Honzo is the best hardtail in the world in my opinion, but today I rode the best bike I have ever ridden. Having never owned a dual suspension I knew it was going to be different, but damn, this bike is amazing. I started this thread a couple years ago because of my enthusiasm for the Honzo, and I'm feeling the same way about my new bike, a Kona Process 153 DL. It. Just. Rips. For the first time in my life I own two bikes, but I may be parting out/selling the Honzo...we'll see. Here are some pics from it's maiden voyage.

Instagram

Instagram

#1,135 ·
The Honzo is the best hardtail in the world in my opinion, but today I rode the best bike I have ever ridden. Having never owned a dual suspension I knew it was going to be different, but damn, this bike is amazing. I started this thread a couple years ago because of my enthusiasm for the Honzo, and I'm feeling the same way about my new bike, a Kona Process 153 DL. It. Just. Rips. For the first time in my life I own two bikes, but I may be parting out/selling the Honzo...we'll see. Here are some pics from it's maiden voyage.

Instagram

Instagram
Very cool. Congrats on the new ride! :thumbsup: