Shimano 12-36t cassette
Niner 32t front chain ring
XT rear shifter
BBG bash
N-gear Jumpstop
Cane Creek Headset / inset top, external lower

27 lbs. 13 ounces

Here's my review after my first ride today:

Just got back from ATT and I'm really, really, happy with the bike.

First of all, I expected the front end to wander on steep climbs, but it stuck, no wandering. This has a lot to do with the steep seat tube. It felt very efficient without any discernable bottom bracket flex. I expected this because the tubes Kona uses are fatter than my old Niner MCR 9. This frame weighs 5.75lbs. where the Niner 853 steel frame weighed 4.5lbs. and doesn't have sliding dropouts. For my weight, about 200lbs., the MCR 9 was nooodly, but comfortable. I felt it absorbed a lot of my pedaling power and the head tube was extremely flexy. The Honzo is a stout frame, and I don't think you can achieve that without it weighing more. I don't notice the weight, but I do notice the power transfer and SOLID feel of the frame. Also, I expected to dab the more technical sections because I'm not tuned to this bike yet, but I cleaned them all.

After reaching the top we lowered our seats and headed back. The words that comes to mind descending on this bike are INSANELY FAWKING AWESOME. Because of the short chain stays, the bike corners like a roller coaster doing a 180. The Honzo's geometry positions you over the rear tire and the pivot point of the bike in the turns. I'm not much of a downhiller, but I was flying and not worrying about any ruts or rocks because the fork and frame just swallowed them up, very confidence inspiring. The chain stays also make coming off jumps more intuitive. With Niner's geometry I always felt like I was waiting for the rear tire when popping off curbs and jumps, but the Kona feels right on.

This is the best bike I have ever owned, period. If you're worried about frame weight, you could save about 1/4-1/2 lb. going with a Canfield Nimble 9. The geometries with 120mm forks are almost identical, but the Nimble 9 has a slacker seat tube, which may affect climbing, and it does not accommodate a tapered fork, two things I really love about the Honzo.

PS - check out this video of the Honzo in action: House of the Big Wheel Part 1: Honzo and Satori on Vimeo

IMG_1499

IMG_1498

See less See more
#1,040 ·
Do you run flat pedals or clipped in?

So... then I guess that 110mm setting is only usefull when the targeted DH trail is only accessible via a long road climb...?
Or even on road it dos'nt help much?
My personal experience is different...

I run a Fox 34 Float (2012 Air Spring) lowered to 120mm travel - I really prefer the way Honzo handles in all but the steepest downhill terrain (corning is better / attaching technical sections - downhill and flat / body position climbing) compared to when I ran the fork at 140mm.

I run 180mm cranks, singlespeed (more incidences of "powering through" sections), and rarely clip my pedals (Shimano Clipless) - I ride a lot of rocky and rooty trails (North Shore // PNW).

-D

#1,044 ·
How tall were you again if you don't mind me asking? I'm 1.96m (6.4" I guess). I'm still not sure if I would prefer 26" over the 29er (I sold my old Trek but hadn't used it for years and before it was just some mild xc'ing). A Cotic Bfe does look nice..I could transfer my wheels and suspension to a new smaller frame and build a bike for my girlfriend... just thinking out loud here, I realize I'm barking up the wrong tree :)

#1,045 ·
Same height as you. And what is shocking about the whole thing is the difference in cockpit size and reach. 620mm ETT, 70mm stem, 416mm reach on TransAM vs 663 ETT, 50mm stem, 464mm reach on the Honzo. Who knew such a big bike like the Honzo will be ridden a lot more aggressively and with more confidence than the TransAM.

#1,049 ·
Honzo Dirt Jumping

This is a short phone vid of me riding a small line of Dirt jumps in the rain.
My skill wasn't really turned on this day so there was no getting sideways or anything fancy. I do find the big wheels make it more of a challenge to move the bike around in the air.
My crew of kids I was coaching this day put me to shame with the steez they were busting out on these small jumps!

For anyone hesitating on purchasing this bike, don't!
It is a very fun and versatile bike to ride!

#1,066 ·
Holy crap this bike is awesome. I built mine tonight except a chain and a shifting cable. I don't have any housing but that will change in the morning. I pushed it around and it is responsive even at slow speeds. Bunny hopping felt natural finally. Hooray for crappy cell phone pics!

2013 small
140mm Revelation RCT3 20mm Maxle
SLX crank & brakes 180 frt
i23/350 hub frt wheel with 2.4 Ardent
Flow/3.30 hub rr wheel with 2.35 Ikon
Thomson bits, Atlas bars @ 750mm
1x10 Shimano drivetrain with 32t Wolftooth chrainring
DeFacto pedals

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

Really cool and thoughtful birthday gift, a Stone IPA bottle made into a glass. It was christened during building my Honzo.

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Laptop part Logo

#1,067 ·
Holy crap this bike is awesome. I built mine tonight except a chain and a shifting cable. I don't have any housing but that will change in the morning. I pushed it around and it is responsive even at slow speeds. Bunny hopping felt natural finally. Hooray for crappy cell phone pics!

2013 small
140mm Revelation RCT3 20mm Maxle
SLX crank & brakes 180 frt
i23/350 hub frt wheel with 2.4 Ardent
Flow/3.30 hub rr wheel with 2.35 Ikon
Thomson bits, Atlas bars @ 750mm
1x10 Shimano drivetrain with 32t Wolftooth chrainring
DeFacto pedals

View attachment 830137

Really cool and thoughtful birthday gift, a Stone IPA bottle made into a glass. It was christened during building my Honzo.

View attachment 830136
Wait until your complete and hit the trails; the frame/bike is great!

I'm curious if the Shimano SLX cranks are the 104 BCD mounting for the wolf tooth chain ring?

#1,068 ·
37t, WB lengthened to 44.5", bb at 12.5", CS lengthened to16.5"

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel rim

I really recommend lengthening CS to 16.5. It just feels dialed and you can fit a 2.4 Ardent or 2.5 Minion easily. With socal's current hard pack conditions I'm liking Ardent 2.4's for their speed, cush, and durability. Tried a 2.35 Ikon and sliced it on the first ride. I don't recommend the Ikon for sharp terrain; it has a thin casing.