Shimano 12-36t cassette
Niner 32t front chain ring
XT rear shifter
BBG bash
N-gear Jumpstop
Cane Creek Headset / inset top, external lower

27 lbs. 13 ounces

Here's my review after my first ride today:

Just got back from ATT and I'm really, really, happy with the bike.

First of all, I expected the front end to wander on steep climbs, but it stuck, no wandering. This has a lot to do with the steep seat tube. It felt very efficient without any discernable bottom bracket flex. I expected this because the tubes Kona uses are fatter than my old Niner MCR 9. This frame weighs 5.75lbs. where the Niner 853 steel frame weighed 4.5lbs. and doesn't have sliding dropouts. For my weight, about 200lbs., the MCR 9 was nooodly, but comfortable. I felt it absorbed a lot of my pedaling power and the head tube was extremely flexy. The Honzo is a stout frame, and I don't think you can achieve that without it weighing more. I don't notice the weight, but I do notice the power transfer and SOLID feel of the frame. Also, I expected to dab the more technical sections because I'm not tuned to this bike yet, but I cleaned them all.

After reaching the top we lowered our seats and headed back. The words that comes to mind descending on this bike are INSANELY FAWKING AWESOME. Because of the short chain stays, the bike corners like a roller coaster doing a 180. The Honzo's geometry positions you over the rear tire and the pivot point of the bike in the turns. I'm not much of a downhiller, but I was flying and not worrying about any ruts or rocks because the fork and frame just swallowed them up, very confidence inspiring. The chain stays also make coming off jumps more intuitive. With Niner's geometry I always felt like I was waiting for the rear tire when popping off curbs and jumps, but the Kona feels right on.

This is the best bike I have ever owned, period. If you're worried about frame weight, you could save about 1/4-1/2 lb. going with a Canfield Nimble 9. The geometries with 120mm forks are almost identical, but the Nimble 9 has a slacker seat tube, which may affect climbing, and it does not accommodate a tapered fork, two things I really love about the Honzo.

PS - check out this video of the Honzo in action: House of the Big Wheel Part 1: Honzo and Satori on Vimeo

IMG_1499

IMG_1498

See less See more
#941 ·
At least the all black Rock Shox forks look good on it. This is one of the first completes that I've seen with the new forks that I like. Pretty sure it will look decent IRL. And good job on keeping the 20" ST on the XL unlike the weird sizing of the XL Process 111 29er with only 18.3.

Also not a fan of the Taro color scheme.

But loving the 2014 Satori. Matte raw aluiminum with orange/black accents is super hot! If I was looking for a FS frame, that would be it. Plus sizing is similar to the Honzo.

#949 ·
So I got my bike yesterday, built it up and rode it around some. Love it!!! The only riding option available yesterday was the dirt jumps 20 min. ride away. At first everything felt in slow-motion but after a couple sessions I was able to do the same jumps that I was doing on my 26er.

A tech question, though. This is my first air fork and when the compression damping is around the middle of the adjustment the fork makes a *squiiish* noise when I bounce on it. This doesn't happen when the compression damping is all the way off or all the way on. Is this normal?

Also the FSA pig headset seems loose. I can't feel it when riding but when I apply the front brake the bike rocks a few millimeters. It also will rattle when I case a jump. What did I do wrong?

#954 ·
Not so sure a dropper post directly relates to SS since most will lower their saddle on the downs, and at that point (generally speaking) it doesn't really matter how many gears you're riding. My Honzo is in SS mode at the moment as well, and a dropper post sure sounds tempting, but so is a Pike!

#963 ·
Where did you read the weight restriction?
I've looked through the KS site and can't find anything that lists a weight restriction for use of the LEV seatpost.

I'm over 90kg as well and I'm planning on getting the LEV 150mm seatpost for my Honzo. After waiting so long for it finally to be in stock it's going to suck to find out that I'm beyond a weight limit that I've never heard of before except in one post here.

#965 ·
eurospek, thanks for that!
I'd rep you but it tells me I've got to spread some around.

My shop just got them back in stock and I'm planning to buy one in the next couple of days.
This info was really going to rain on my parade! So happy it's just a rumour. Thankfully it's a rumour that I've just come across now.

#966 ·
I read it on the online webshop where I was about to order. I've mailed the KS guys this week and they responded to say that indeed, there is no weight limit. Unfortunately I just blew my budget on a Shimano Zee 1x10 setup. The KS Lev is gonna have to wait a month or two.

#975 ·
Hey yall! Im planning my Honzo build and just want to make sure I have no glaring weaknesses. Build total is between $2200-$2400. Im ~220 geared up. Would I notice a difference between the Trace and the Revelation? Any input is appreciated. Frame would be 2013.

Frame- Kona Honzo 20” Bikeman- $525 +FS
Fork- X Fusion Trace RL2 Bikewagon- $635 +FS
OR
RockShox Revelation RL DA CRC- $391 +FS
Wheels- Hope Pro2 w/ Flows Wiggle- $418 +FS
Crank- RF Ride SS 32T/Bash Jenson- $99 +FS
Shifter- SRAM X9 9spd Price Point- $50
RD- Shimano ZEE 11-34 Jenson- $80 +FS
Cassette- SRAM 970 Jenson- $30 +FS
Chain- SRAM 950 Jenson- $18 +FS
Brakes- Shimano SLX CRC- $212
Rotors- Shimano 203/180 Price Point- $90
Handlebars- RF Atlas Orange Price Point- $60
Stems- Nukeproof Warhead CRC- $54 +FS
Grips- ODI Rogue Jenson- $23 +FS
Headset- Cane Creek 40 Price Point- $70
Saddle- Charge Spoon Jenson- $27
Seatpost- RF Ride Jenson- $20 +FS
Seatpost Clamp- Salsa Orange Jenson- $35 +FS
Tires- Schwalbe Hans Dampf CRC- $138

#989 ·
Hey yall! Im planning my Honzo build and just want to make sure I have no glaring weaknesses. Build total is between $2200-$2400. Im ~220 geared up. Would I notice a difference between the Trace and the Revelation? Any input is appreciated. Frame would be 2013.

Frame- Kona Honzo 20" Bikeman- $525 +FS
Fork- X Fusion Trace RL2 Bikewagon- $635 +FS
OR
RockShox Revelation RL DA CRC- $391 +FS
Wheels- Hope Pro2 w/ Flows Wiggle- $418 +FS
Crank- RF Ride SS 32T/Bash Jenson- $99 +FS
Shifter- SRAM X9 9spd Price Point- $50
Cassette- SRAM 970 Jenson- $30 +FS
Chain- SRAM 950 Jenson- $18 +FS
Rotors- Shimano 203/180 Price Point- $90
Handlebars- RF Atlas Orange Price Point- $60
Stems- Nukeproof Warhead CRC- $54 +FS
Grips- ODI Rogue Jenson- $23 +FS
Headset- Cane Creek 40 Price Point- $70
Saddle- Charge Spoon Jenson- $27
Seatpost- RF Ride Jenson- $20 +FS
Seatpost Clamp- Salsa Orange Jenson- $35 +FS
Tires- Schwalbe Hans Dampf CRC- $138
Check out my local ad for parts. Good deals here: Dirt Treaders Mountain Biking Community ? View topic - '13/'14 Kona Honzo & '14 Fox Float 29" 34mm Stchn 140mm Trvl

#976 ·
At your weight I would definitely aim for the 34mm X Fusion Trace fork vs the 32mm Revelation. I experimented with the Revelation last year when I was a bit heavier and it was like a noodle compared to my Fox Float 34. Also check out Universalcycles.com for the fork, you're able to get it for under $600 with their VIP15 coupon for 15%. Might at well check some of your other prices as well there to see if stuff is cheaper. Also if you're looking on saving a few bucks on the wheelset, look for the Sun Ringle Charger Experts 29er. I scored mine for $280 and have been bombproof for 2+ seasons and Sun Ringle's help and service has been stellar as well. And they are just as annoyingly loud as Hope Pro 2 which I didn't want to give up lol when I was looking at wheels.

Also brakes, check out blueskycycling.com, for about $15-20 more, you might as well get XT brakes from them. Or save a few since they have SLX cheaper than wiggle and not set up "moto" style as well. Since all the brakes from the UK will be set up front-right rear-left.

And with the money saved on going with the Sun Ringle wheelset, I'd definitely look into getting a dropper post. That's one thing I can't ride without now. :D

#980 ·
At your weight I would definitely aim for the 34mm X Fusion Trace fork vs the 32mm Revelation. I experimented with the Revelation last year when I was a bit heavier and it was like a noodle compared to my Fox Float 34. Also check out Universalcycles.com for the fork, you're able to get it for under $600 with their VIP15 coupon for 15%. Might at well check some of your other prices as well there to see if stuff is cheaper. Also if you're looking on saving a few bucks on the wheelset, look for the Sun Ringle Charger Experts 29er. I scored mine for $280 and have been bombproof for 2+ seasons and Sun Ringle's help and service has been stellar as well. And they are just as annoyingly loud as Hope Pro 2 which I didn't want to give up lol when I was looking at wheels.

Also brakes, check out blueskycycling.com, for about $15-20 more, you might as well get XT brakes from them. Or save a few since they have SLX cheaper than wiggle and not set up "moto" style as well. Since all the brakes from the UK will be set up front-right rear-left.

And with the money saved on going with the Sun Ringle wheelset, I'd definitely look into getting a dropper post. That's one thing I can't ride without now. :D
I had a feeling I should get the Trace... Just have to bite the bullet. Ill have to check into the XT brakes and Sun Ringle wheelset. I was interested in having a loud hub. Definitely good to know about the UK brake orientation!

I may check out a dropper post, hadnt even thought of it.

#977 ·
I might be mistaken, but isn't this only available in 11-28 and 11-36? I just ordered one in 11-36, for 66$ in germany, I presume you live in the USA and not in Europe?

I have no experience with SLX brakes, but I've got the Zee brakes and I'm very happy with them! Lots of power and very modular (?) to apply. I got also bitten by the UK setup...front brake right. I've gotten used to it.

I have the Revelation fork, but honestly, I'm not experienced enough to say if it flexes or not (I weigh about the same as you).

#981 ·
My Honzo

Here's my Honzo. No idea if the image above's going to work!

Long story short. Had a Fisher Superfly and broke it. No warranty coverage from Trek as it was a 2008 model (crashed hard in 2012 and put a hole in the seat stay) and needed a frame fast. Of all the non-custom frame sets in the world, I know I needed something with a long top tube as I am 6 foot 6. Aside from an XXL Specialized Stumpy Al frame, the Honzo was the only other choice.

The choice was easy.

I freakin' love this frame. Took me about a year of ebay shenanigans to get at the parts where they are. I'll run through them with some thoughts and questions below that. I'm hoping this post is informative to others looking to take the leap and go with a Honzo.

Frame
2012 Kona Honzo, 22L (26" ETT Baby)

Fork
2012 Revelation RL @ 140mm

Headset
Cane Creek 40

Wheelset
XT Hubs, WTB i23 rims setup tubeless

Tires
WTB Wierwolf rear, Bronson front

Drivetrain
Zee rear der. and shifter, 11-36 SLX hub, XTR chain (don't ask me why) Wolf Tooth Components 32t Wide/Narrow Ring, Bontrager Race Lite Carbon crankset (leftover from Superfly)

Brakes
Shimano SLX front, Avid Juicy ultimate rear (leftover from Superfly)

Seatpost
Reverb 125

Saddle
WTB Somethin Somethin

Stem
Thomson X4 80mm x 0 (in photo. recently replaced.)

Handlebars
Answer 720 AM - 52mm Rise

Grips
ODI Ruffian

Pedals
Crank Bros Candy 2

Putting the recommended amount of air in both chambers of the Revelation yields too harsh of a ride and only 60% of travel used after a hard ride. I'm now at between 20 and 30 PSI LOWER than recommended and everything is great. I like the fork, but will upgrade to a Pike sometime in the next 3 years before my bike funds become baby funds.

WTB's Wierwolf is labeled at 2.5 but in reality is 2.1... it's actually narrower overall than a Bronson if you include knobs. FYI.

I had wanted to run a short (70mm) stem on this but at my height it just ain't happening. Shown is an 80mm x 0 but after getting the sag right on my fork I found that a 90mm x 10 was more comfortable. I can always drop it down using headset spacers if need be.

Droppers posts are awesome. I use mine whenever things get fast and or steep. The ability to get low over the bike when you're descending is amazing.

Wide narrow rings are the future. Get one. No dropped chains with this setup, and will be switching to a 30t for a trip out west in September.

Overall I find the Honzo a blast to ride. It's forgiving, which is good for long rides, but can be moved around easily and really shines in technical terrain. Very very easy to pop the front wheel up. It's a bike I feel like I can really grow into. I will never ride a bike intended for XC racing when I don't race. And it fits me, hallelujah!

I also have never received more questions about a bike than I have with my Honzo. Last time I was up in East Burke, VT it got so much attention it became a running joke between my dad and I (pop's rockin the Tallboy.) People either know that its a Kona but are unaware of the model, or have no clue what they are looking at. It never gets old.

Any questions fire away!

#982 ·

Here's my Honzo. No idea if the image above's going to work!

Long story short. Had a Fisher Superfly and broke it. No warranty coverage from Trek as it was a 2008 model (crashed hard in 2012 and put a hole in the seat stay) and needed a frame fast. Of all the non-custom frame sets in the world, I know I needed something with a long top tube as I am 6 foot 6. Aside from an XXL Specialized Stumpy Al frame, the Honzo was the only other choice.

The choice was easy.

I freakin' love this frame. Took me about a year of ebay shenanigans to get at the parts where they are. I'll run through them with some thoughts and questions below that. I'm hoping this post is informative to others looking to take the leap and go with a Honzo.

Frame
2012 Kona Honzo, 22L (26" ETT Baby)

Fork
2012 Revelation RL @ 140mm

Headset
Cane Creek 40

Wheelset
XT Hubs, WTB i23 rims setup tubeless

Tires
WTB Wierwolf rear, Bronson front

Drivetrain
Zee rear der. and shifter, 11-36 SLX hub, XTR chain (don't ask me why) Wolf Tooth Components 32t Wide/Narrow Ring, Bontrager Race Lite Carbon crankset (leftover from Superfly)

Brakes
Shimano SLX front, Avid Juicy ultimate rear (leftover from Superfly)

Seatpost
Reverb 125

Saddle
WTB Somethin Somethin

Stem
Thomson X4 80mm x 0 (in photo. recently replaced.)

Handlebars
Answer 720 AM - 52mm Rise

Grips
ODI Ruffian

Pedals
Crank Bros Candy 2

Putting the recommended amount of air in both chambers of the Revelation yields too harsh of a ride and only 60% of travel used after a hard ride. I'm now at between 20 and 30 PSI LOWER than recommended and everything is great. I like the fork, but will upgrade to a Pike sometime in the next 3 years before my bike funds become baby funds.

WTB's Wierwolf is labeled at 2.5 but in reality is 2.1... it's actually narrower overall than a Bronson if you include knobs. FYI.

I had wanted to run a short (70mm) stem on this but at my height it just ain't happening. Shown is an 80mm x 0 but after getting the sag right on my fork I found that a 90mm x 10 was more comfortable. I can always drop it down using headset spacers if need be.

Droppers posts are awesome. I use mine whenever things get fast and or steep. The ability to get low over the bike when you're descending is amazing.

Wide narrow rings are the future. Get one. No dropped chains with this setup, and will be switching to a 30t for a trip out west in September.

Overall I find the Honzo a blast to ride. It's forgiving, which is good for long rides, but can be moved around easily and really shines in technical terrain. Very very easy to pop the front wheel up. It's a bike I feel like I can really grow into. I will never ride a bike intended for XC racing when I don't race. And it fits me, hallelujah!

I also have never received more questions about a bike than I have with my Honzo. Last time I was up in East Burke, VT it got so much attention it became a running joke between my dad and I (pop's rockin the Tallboy.) People either know that its a Kona but are unaware of the model, or have no clue what they are looking at. It never gets old.

Any questions fire away!
@hjulier: You now have forced me to go place an order this weekend at the bike store way across the valley!!!

I stumbled on this model last weekend and immediately was drawn to this mountain bike. I have a niner RIP9 and it's a great FS bike but I miss having a hardtail and I have been influenced to get a steel frame. I was stuck on the Niner ROS9 for a bit but this Kona bike just ROCKS! It may not be the best bike out there but the components and the build for the price is why I'm sold and I don't want to fork out $$$ for another Niner. I'm a big boy (6'1", 270) so I predict this bike will handle my weight (at least I hope!). OK enough of that rubbish

Looking at your set-up is creating all kinds of thoughts in my head so I will start with a few questions:

* Any disadvantage having the 140mm fork on this frame and geometry? I was curious if they designed this specific to the 120mm only. I'm not sure if you had a 120mm (thinking you did not buy the complete bike and purchased the frame only)?

* What are your thoughts so far with the WTB i23 rims setup tubeless?

* How is the Shimano SLX brakes handling for you? I have the XT's on my RIP and those are such solid brakes but if the SLX handle then no need to change out

*I've been "anti" seat post dropper but I realize the value if you quickly convert from an aggressive downhill to normal conditions so not having to worry about having to get off the bike and make adjustments has a peak interest for me. I assume you are very pleased with Reverb 125. Considering my height is 6'1" I wonder if I can sneak by with the 100mm version since it's on sale. Any thoughts on that consideration?