Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 ... LastLast
    Dianetics Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    I've completely destroyed the freehub only after 3 weeks of riding!
    It is the stock wheelset.
    I haven't pulled it apart to see exactly what has happened but my educated guess is I've sheared the palls off of the freehub body.

I realize the wheelset isn't very high end, however, I expected the freehub to last at least until the middle of the summer!
    I'm a big guy so I know I generate a lot of torque through the drivetrain. And, I do expect to have to replace a freehub at some point in the middle of my riding season. But, this is ridiculous!
    This is the shortest length of time I've ever had on a bike before having a freehub blowup on me!

Hopefully Kona can sort me out without too much trouble.
    We'll see!

Other than that I've been really enjoying the bike!
    The single ring up front is definitely making me stronger and changing how I ride/climb the trails. Although, at times I still wish very much for a granny ring!

wow that's too bad man....thanks for posting it up though - definitely let us know how they handle it as I am sure you won't be the only one affected. An unfortunate oversight re: hub spec for sure. After reading Eurospek's response and doing some subsequent research - seems like those 36 tooth cassettes don't play nicely with cheaper to moderately priced freehubs in general. Guess I can see the issue though - I definitely mash the crap out of it on steeper climbs....

...I am one month in on my (mostly stock) Honzo and love it - no probs yet knock wood.....

the air is thin up here..
    Clearly the best solution is to pull off those pesky gears and put those sliding dropouts to good use You'll save a pound or 2 as well

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Clearly the best solution is to pull off those pesky gears and put those sliding dropouts to good use You'll save a pound or 2 as well
    QFT
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Bnerd
    FYP
    Clearly the best solution to torture yourself is to pull off those pesky gears and put those sliding dropouts to good use You'll save a pound or 2 as well

Sorry, just not into sucking the fun out of my rides by going single speed.

FYP

Sorry, just not into sucking the fun out of my rides by going single speed.
    Heh, I think you'll find most SSers would say quite the opposite! 32-20 gearing is easy enough to push up most steep technical climbs, and anything requiring a long granny gear spin I'd rather walk anyway.

I do agree with you when it comes to rigid though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've been meaning to post a short review as I've logged a couple rides on mine now.

I'm riding the bike stock, minus some bontrager rhythm (29.5") bars and a 50mm stem. I'm 6'4" and ride the LT in Massachusetts. I came off of a similar geo hardtail, my background is flat pedal trail riding, and have raced downhill and slalom many years, this is my first 29er.

So I want to start it by saying a bike is a bike. Don't believe all the hype in the 26 vs 29er debate. It feels great to be out again, and the only time I pick on things is after the ride. That said, I have noticed some notable differences. This bike carries a lot of speed, through corners and over rough stuff. I really like that about it, It generally wants to go where it is already going, slightly more than a 26er, meaning its slightly harder to change lines and things. Also, in the air, it doesnt really want to get sideways or flat, but hopefully this is an adjustment thing.

This bike just fits me better than anything ive ridden in the basic geometry sense. I dont feel like im floating on top of it, just waiting to go over the bars at any moment. I am able to ride this bike with a lot more movement over the top, closer to a dirt bike. I like this quite a lot. I would say the feeling of being "in" the bike is false, but maybe its because I am larger.

The cornering on this bike is amazing, really sticks and allows you to push harder, especially over the rough stuff. The downhill capability is also great, so stable at speed, and it feels quite a bit smoothed out. Over the loose stuff, have the front or rear slide out doesn't seem to be that big of a concern. I think the short CS really helps all these things. I can also manual this bike just as good as my 26ers. I have ridden it on pump track with good results as well.

One thing I like is that it makes climbing fun (ish). On a similar geo and spec 26er, climbing has never been great, this definitely gives you a more all around possibility. I stand a lot, and am getting a lot less slippage on the steep and loose stuff.

On the downside, it is true that the bike feels as though it wants to stay grounded, especially at lower speeds. I think this has to do with the BB drop. I might try running less sag, or going 5" in the front. I dont love the idea of the HT angle being any slacker though. Its so stable already I wouldnt want the bike to feel any longer. If I was doing a custom build, I would do a 5" fork, with angleset set to steepen the HT angle. The threshold for getting loose seams to be higher and more sudden on this, it doesnt skate around like my 26ers have especially in the tighter slower trails. On the fast trails I think its more fun than 26ers, more confidence inspiring. I also have cranked pedals off of every rock on the trail, nothing catastrophic, but an annoyance. This is mostly a time on the bike thing, and I dont hit much any more, but I also feel myself hold back a lot, and doing quick jabs in the rough stuff. On a 26, I might not even pedal through this stuff at all, but with the possibilities of the 29 I would like to.

The bike does feel cumbersome in the tighter stuff. But its just a getting used to thing. I wish it had slightly wider tire clearance. I find my tire buzzing the CS or chainguide in hard corners. Maybe this is the lack of stiffness in the wheels.

The stock build is OK, I can already feel the freehub trying to destroy itself. The cranks suck, flexy and bound to fail. ( I will go SLX soon). The brakes arent bad, I love the fork and tires, seat is also nice. The wheels dont seem great and feel heavy. The major uprade for me would be a lighter tubeless wheelset with better hubs. Maybe this feeling of wanting to go where it is already going would be lessened with this change.

I need some suggestions on bars. The stock bars werent terrible, but for some reason I dont trust them or love the weight. The rhythms I have liked on other bikes, but this bike seems too long for them. For stand up aggressive riding they are good, but when sitting my wrists/thumbs are in pain from the angle. I might cut them. But I really want more up and back sweep, maybe the sunline flat bars? (more adjust-ability than a riser)

I cant wait to have this bike out on the kingdom trails for some 8 hour fast and flowy trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2012-05-05-17.12.33.jpg  

mtbr member
    Great review. I'm finding my rear tire clearance just fine. I was dead set on 2.4 Ardents all around but finding the 2.25 in the back just fine. I don't think I would go bigger next time. And I think the stock wheelset is what Kona dropped the ball on. You wouldn't be the first guy to complain about it, and with the 2.25 Ardent and a Sun-Ringle Charger Expert, I'm not experiencing your symptoms of rubbing, and I'm the same height and 240 lbs.

Btw, you're on a 20L? That pic is deceiving.

Here's a crappy phone shot of mine recently,

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Great review. I'm finding my rear tire clearance just fine. I was dead set on 2.4 Ardents all around but finding the 2.25 in the back just fine. I don't think I would go bigger next time. And I think the stock wheelset is what Kona dropped the ball on. You wouldn't be the first guy to complain about it, and with the 2.25 Ardent and a Sun-Ringle Charger Expert, I'm not experiencing your symptoms of rubbing, and I'm the same height and 240 lbs.

Btw, you're on a 20L? That pic is deceiving.

Here's a crappy phone shot of mine recently,
    The rubbing only occurs during really hard cornering, probably harder than you can acheive on all but the most grippy dirt. I love the 2.25, and would see any reason to go wider. The Sun-Ringle Charger Expert wheelset is what Im thinking.

Yeah, I'm on the 20L. Also, I meant to write about a dropper post. When I am riding this bike I really feel like it is necessary. Because I move around on the longer bike so much, It would be nice to get it out of the way. I didnt realize how expensive they are though. I'm thinking the reverb would be the way to go. I am also Liking the new KS.

Your bike looks awesome. Basically what I would want mine to end up as.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scurry4 View Post
    The rubbing only occurs during really hard cornering, probably harder than you can acheive on all but the most grippy dirt. I love the 2.25, and would see any reason to go wider. The Sun-Ringle Charger Expert wheelset is what Im thinking.

Yeah, I'm on the 20L. Also, I meant to write about a dropper post. When I am riding this bike I really feel like it is necessary. Because I move around on the longer bike so much, It would be nice to get it out of the way. I didnt realize how expensive they are though. I'm thinking the reverb would be the way to go. I am also Liking the new KS.

Your bike looks awesome. Basically what I would want mine to end up as.

FYI,I dinged my Charger Experts pretty quickly, enough that I had to start running them ghetto tubeless to hold air. It was on a full suspension Dawg,which I tend to hammer more into bumps than I would a rigid,so it may not be a issue for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by htrdoug View Post
    FYI,I dinged my Charger Experts pretty quickly, enough that I had to start running them ghetto tubeless to hold air. It was on a full suspension Dawg,which I tend to hammer more into bumps than I would a rigid,so it may not be a issue for you.
    get the morningstar rim wrench. used it on my flows and pretty much took out the dings with no trace.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i originally laced a nukeproof to a velocity blunt sl with straight 14's, that would occasionally rub in corners and eventually taco'd, relaced the hub to a sun-ringle mtx33 with 14's and no more flex. definitely cornering harder and faster on the honzo and no signs of rub whatsoever. that mtx33 was the easiest wheel i've ever laced btw. i had it trued and tensioned on the bike in under 45 minutes. i'm 6'3" 200lbs and it's the only rim i'll ever buy again.

mtbr member
    I tried the 140mm setting and it's good for the bigger chunk on the trails, but for the majoirty of where I ride, it feels like too much (similar to the TransAM feeling I had rocking a Fox Float 36 at 160mm). Definitely use it on the downhills, a simple flick of the knob and it's wonderful stuff.
    So I gave the 140mm setting another try last ride, for a full ride this time. Previously I didn't bother with it more than a few minutes and I was getting tired of the pedal strikes at 110mm. Even if you did out of the seat pedaling and placed the foot wrong (size 12 Vans), you managed to clip it on the ground sometimes.

I moved 2 spacers to the top of the stem, made the fork much plusher, (at 110mm, I was pretty firm with the psi as I easily ate up all the travel with big hits) and boy am I loving the 140mm setting on the Honzo. Zero pedal strikes and I feel much more confident going over stuff, nice to see some suspension work again. And I still want to reposition the cranks whenever I see big rocks/logs to avoid strikes since 110mm taught me well lol. But no need anymore.

Only thing I should have bought originally was the short upper CC40 cup, only 8mm stack height, I went with the tall upper cup, 15mm height, but got one off Amazon and will be installing it tomorrow, and slamming the Thomson X4 to the headset with only a 2.5mm spacer, and 3 or 4 5mm spacers on top and trimming the steerer a bit.

Also forgot how horrible Oury lock-ons are. Tried some SDG Hansolo lock-ons but way too narrow, I found I was holding on to them much tighter than needed and went back to some tried and true ODI Rogues.

And loving the recently replaced cassette and new freehub body. I went from a 11-34 to a 12-36 and couldn't be happier. I can now make the climbs that I struggled with on the XT cassette. The new cromoly freehub body for the Sun Ringle Charger Experts (same freehub body that is used on their Demon DH wheelset) added only 35 grams over the aluminum freehub body. No more freehub noise while putting the power down to climb and the 12-36 gear ratio is much more friendly for a 1x9 noob like myself. Also the bearings in the freehub body are much further spaced apart now, the axle spacer is half the size as before, so I imagine this cromoly freehub body will hold up better over time to abuse.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So I gave the 140mm setting another try last ride, for a full ride this time. Previously I didn't bother with it more than a few minutes and I was getting tired of the pedal strikes at 110mm. Even if you did out of the seat pedaling and placed the foot wrong (size 12 Vans), you managed to clip it on the ground sometimes.

I moved 2 spacers to the top of the stem, made the fork much plusher, (at 110mm, I was pretty firm with the psi as I easily ate up all the travel with big hits) and boy am I loving the 140mm setting on the Honzo. Zero pedal strikes and I feel much more confident going over stuff, nice to see some suspension work again. And I still want to reposition the cranks whenever I see big rocks/logs to avoid strikes since 110mm taught me well lol. But no need anymore.

Only thing I should have bought originally was the short upper CC40 cup, only 8mm stack height, I went with the tall upper cup, 15mm height, but got one off Amazon and will be installing it tomorrow, and slamming the Thomson X4 to the headset with only a 2.5mm spacer, and 3 or 4 5mm spacers on top and trimming the steerer a bit.

Also forgot how horrible Oury lock-ons are. Tried some SDG Hansolo lock-ons but way too narrow, I found I was holding on to them much tighter than needed and went back to some tried and true ODI Rogues.

And loving the recently replaced cassette and new freehub body. I went from a 11-34 to a 12-36 and couldn't be happier. I can now make the climbs that I struggled with on the XT cassette. The new cromoly freehub body for the Sun Ringle Charger Experts (same freehub body that is used on their Demon DH wheelset) added only 35 grams over the aluminum freehub body. No more freehub noise while putting the power down to climb and the 12-36 gear ratio is much more friendly for a 1x9 noob like myself. Also the bearings in the freehub body are much further spaced apart now, the axle spacer is half the size as before, so I imagine this cromoly freehub body will hold up better over time to abuse.
    any idea what this brings the HT angle too? im a little worried about it getting a bit sluggish. I'll probably give this a shot either way though.

mtbr member
    any idea what this brings the HT angle too? im a little worried about it getting a bit sluggish. I'll probably give this a shot either way though.
    According to the Clinometer app on my phone, unsagged head angle appears to be in the 66.9-67.1° degree range.

According to this, it's 67.2°.

All I know is it feels good in terms of steering, especially now that I slammed the bars to the headset, have only one 5mm spacer, thinking of trying a 2.5mm or even putting everything on top of the stem. The new headset cup (8mm vs 15mm stack height) also helped things tremendously. I first tried the 140mm setting with the tall cup and 10mm of spacers. Didn't like it at all, and flipped back to 110mm after a few minutes. But even with such tame singletrack here in the Midwest, I was striking my pedals A LOT. Even with out of the saddle pedaling, if my Vans were at the wrong angle/position on the pedals, I clipped the rocks/logs/ground with toe box.

Running a good amount of sag now, I'm less conscious about pedal strikes but finding more gnarly lines through the trails. I'm still thinking about clipping my pedals whenever I see big obstacles, try to reposition my footing/pedals, but no contact no occurs.

And steering at 140mm on the Honzo feels a whole lot less twitchy than my previous Transition TrasnAM with a 36 Float 160mm with a final HA 67.1°.

140mm feels great for me.

Even at that height, for me, I have constant pedal strikes, and I'm constantly thinking about it and readjusting my crank position (175mm cranks). I had one on Sunday on a ladder with a board sticking up that I didn't see coming - threw me into a nice nose wheelie for one of those slow-motion "I'm inevitably going to eat sh!t" face plants. Good times

mtbr member
    140mm feels great for me.

Even at that height, for me, I have constant pedal strikes, and I'm constantly thinking about it and readjusting my crank position (175mm cranks). I had one on Sunday on a ladder with a board sticking up that I didn't see coming - threw me into a nice nose wheelie for one of those slow-motion "I'm inevitably going to eat sh!t" face plants. Good times
    The Revelation has a 548mm A-2-C measurment, the Fox 34 is 552.8mm if I recall.

But either way, I still can't believe how proper of a fit this bike is for me, loving every aspect of it and more. I don't know how the guy at 6'6" feels comfortable on the regular 20 frame. I think keeping the 20" for myself would have been one big mistake.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

But either way, I still can't believe how proper of a fit this bike is for me, loving every aspect of it and more. I don't know how the guy at 6'6" feels comfortable on the regular 20 frame. I think keeping the 20" for myself would have been one big mistake.
    I'm happy with the long too. Its a whole new experience being able to move over the bike, which I love, and always felt I missed out in while being tall. Stand up pedaling is great too, never limited by cranking my knees off things.

Im going to have to figure out how to raise this revelation.

mtbr member
    I'm happy with the long too. Its a whole new experience being able to move over the bike, which I love, and always felt I missed out in while being tall. Stand up pedaling is great too, never limited by cranking my knees off things.

Im going to have to figure out how to raise this revelation.
    I'm 99% positive all you have to do is remove the All-Travel spacer in there from the non-damper side and you'll be at 140 in no time.

Completely agree with the fit - best bike I've owned.

Bnerd

To each their own.

It works for me. From my perspective I wonder how someone shorter than me feels comfortable on the 20Long frame!
    I've said it before and I'll say it again riding style and the terrain you ride on has everyone choosing different sizing. Decisions are made from what you want out of the bike.

Enjoy the ride!

Bnerd
    Freehub Warranty Update:

My shop got in touch with their distributor to get the freehub and was told that currently that there are none in stock in Canada!!
    My shop's next step is going to be to contact Kona to see what can be offered as a part/replacement.
    Originally my shop was going to avoid the dealing with warranty and just order the part to have me back on my bike in short order.

In my emailing with Kona Warranty I was informed that I would have to go through Shimano for warranty on the freehub. Now that I've had time to contemplate this I find it a little silly that Kona would pass this off rather than dealing with it themselves.

I've been off my Honzo, which is barely a month and a half old, for almost 2 weeks now! My giving leeway to Kona for having this issue sorted out is starting to run out!! If things aren't sorted out shortly with reasonable solution I'll soon be cursing Kona's name! ('cause, really, that's all I'll be able to do!)

Oh well. At least I have another bike to ride. It is still disappointing that a brand new bike with brand new parts would crap out so quickly.

--updating the update--
    My shop just called me and told me that they are sending the wheel back to Kona. Hopefully this sorts it out. Although, it means for turn-around it looks like another week and a half to 2 weeks before my Honzo is up and running with that wheel!

My shop also said they searched for another compatible freehub but that it was closing in on impossible for availability. They also said they were looking at re-lacing it to a Saint hub but those are also sold out currently!
    What is up with the supply chain in Canada for Shimano parts?!!
    Last edited by RideEverything; 06-06-2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: more update

In my emailing with Kona Warranty I was informed that I would have to go through Shimano for warranty on the freehub. Now that I've had time to contemplate this I find it a little silly that Kona would pass this off rather than dealing with it themselves.
    Kona is relatively small, with a relatively small production run of Honzos. The process would likely take longer if they had to bring in a wheel/hub for you, then ship it out to you. It's pretty unlikely that they have spare parts for every bike they sell just hanging around for warranty purposes.

If I were you, I'd grab a new hub from your LBS and re-lace the wheel. Odds are the replacement hub will have the same problem.

Bnerd
    Kona is relatively small, with a relatively small production run of Honzos. The process would likely take longer if they had to bring in a wheel/hub for you, then ship it out to you. It's pretty unlikely that they have spare parts for every bike they sell just hanging around for warranty purposes.

If I were you, I'd grab a new hub from your LBS and re-lace the wheel. Odds are the replacement hub will have the same problem.
    I understand your point. However, as a bike manufacturer they may have an easier time and/or better access in procuring said part than a bike shop.
    A bike is a sum of its parts. not just a frame.
    If bike companies aren't going to help out people when they have issue with parts then why do they sell their frames as a complete package with parts? (that is a rhetorical question)

And, I am currently figuring out my finances to buy a new wheelset. When I get the current wheelset fixed they will be relegated to a back-up pair.

mtbr member
    That is the normal deal. Rockshox, Shimano, Mavic, whoever run their own house. They don't let anyone else replace the stuff.

What used to happen is the folks at a bike company would look the other way and bribe people with free Suntour parts or whatever. Then they'd go back to the supplier and say pay us for all this stuff we gave away or we're not using your parts next year. The bigger the bike company the more of a problem it became. If the sticker says Avid it goes to one place and if it says Kona or Shimano it goes somewhere else. The bike shop gets to sort that all out.

Bnerd

A change in parts!

So, it's closing in on 2 months since the original rear wheel/freehub gave it up.
    I'm still waiting on the the warranty replacement.

However, things aren't as depressing as they sound. I just sold a bike to finance a new wheelset and some bling for the Honzo.
    I picked up the SunRingle Charger Pro 29" wheels for a killer deal, a new Chomag Trailmaster saddle - again, for a great deal, and new matchy matchy Chromag Fubars OSX! (I think they are wider than my other OSX bars on my other bike!) Along with some Chromag decals to bling the frame out as well!

I went for my first rip in 2 months on this bike this afternoon to make sure the Honzo is set-up and running right.
    I forgot how much fun this bike is!!

Here's some bike pr0n pics:
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p6215532.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p6215533.jpg

Now I am just waiting on the original rear wheel to come back from warranty and it will be relegated to back-up status.'Cuz a big aggressive rider is gunna have to fix something at some point during the riding season!

Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 ... LastLast