Page 81 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182 LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,050 of 4079
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jcitizen1 View Post
    i can see companies wanting to push cheaper alu frames, which are not not nearly as punishing with fat tires, which are all the rage. I guess they have ti & carbon for the hardcore honzo lovers. Still seems like a shame to lose a cheap & rad steel frame. Now I've got a collectors item!
    Anyone want a large 2017 Honzo ST? It's partially built, but never ridden. I'm having second thoughts after spending so much time on my full suspension bike lately.

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    Anyone want a large 2017 Honzo ST? It's partially built, but never ridden. I'm having second thoughts after spending so much time on my full suspension bike lately.
    Do yourself a favor and ride it before you sell it! Otherwise you'll never know what you may (or may not) be missing!
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    I have got to say, the imminent release of the DHF 2.6 29 has me holding off on going b+ with the 2.8 27.5 version. I really would like to have matching wheel sizes and axle standards between the FS bike I am going to get once I graduate and my Honzo. I really want a big bike, i.e. Balance, Nomad, or Patrol/Enduro to go with my Honzo.

Do you have any more info on that dhf?
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    No, it was only mentioned in the pinkbike article debuting Maxxis' new line up. Looks like bikerumor covered it, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Threw some upgrades at my rigid/ss Honzo today, new Hadley hubs to flow ex wheelset and a salsa 15mm tapered steel fork in place of the vodoo zombie 500 I was running earlier. It has a little less atc but all is well. Cheers! Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9197.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9194.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9196.jpg

I will have to get that fork powder coated at some point too

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBro View Post
    salsa 15mm tapered steel fork in place of the vodoo zombie 500 I was running earlier.
    I will have to get that fork powder coated at some point too
    Is Voodoo fork have AtC 500 mm?Will you plan to sell it?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just joined the proud honzo owners club, mine just came in today. Can't wait to get it built up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes it's 500mm (tallest ridged around) I'm gonna hold onto it as a spare sorry man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter-01 View Post
    I my 2017 St frame just came in, can't wait to get it built up. I'm interested how that 140 fork works for you, I haven't decided in travel yet but I'm definitely into big rubber.
    Also if anyone here is on the fence about buying a steel honzo frame, word is that Kona is done making them for the foreseeable future. Get em while you can!
    I've got my 2017 ST setup with a 160 Fox 36. Its probably way too much but I haven't experienced it with a normal size fork. It climbs really well though I dont do much seated climbing because its also single speed. Im thinking about racing an enduro on it then dropping down fork travel.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Johannensc View Post
    I've got my 2017 ST setup with a 160 Fox 36. Its probably way too much but I haven't experienced it with a normal size fork. It climbs really well though I dont do much seated climbing because its also single speed. Im thinking about racing an enduro on it then dropping down fork travel.
    I've been running a 150mm Pike since I built my bike up a year ago (2016 ST.) The only time the travel has bothered me is on super steep climbing. The steering does feel a bit slow if I have been riding my other bike for a while (first generation SC 5010) but I quickly get used to it.

Norđwegr
    Which stem and bar width are you guys on smalls using?

I have a 0* 45mm stem and with a 720mm flat bar I found it to be too narrow and is bumping it up to cheap 760mm taking it from there once I find a better setting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Which stem and bar width are you guys on smalls using?

I have a 0* 45mm stem and with a 720mm flat bar I found it to be too narrow and is bumping it up to cheap 760mm taking it from there once I find a better setting.
    I currently have a renthal apex 50mm with a 740mm bar.

the stem is flipped, -6 deg rise
    Last edited by fssmikey; 03-22-2017 at 07:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Do yourself a favor and ride it before you sell it! Otherwise you'll never know what you may (or may not) be missing!
    Dudes got a point. I built up a '16 and almost didn't ride it before I sold it. Only ride it a handful of times but it definitely made me think twice. If I didn't need the cash I would definitely have kept it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sorry if Im beating this to death, but have 29er 2.6 Nobby Nics been fit to any 2015 or 2016 STs? What's the clearance like, and what rims? I'm thinking I'll go i30 rims, but maybe that's not enough??

Sorry if Im beating this to death, but have 29er 2.6 Nobby Nics been fit to any 2015 or 2016 STs? What's the clearance like, and what rims? I'm thinking I'll go i30 rims, but maybe that's not enough??
    Yes, I'm running them with plenty of clearance on 33mm internal rims on a Ti frame, which has the same yoke design and clearance as the ST models.

The tread pattern is almost too square on 33mm, I think 30 would be perfect.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yes, I'm running them with plenty of clearance on 33mm internal rims on a Ti frame, which has the same yoke design and clearance as the ST models.

The tread pattern is almost too square on 33mm, I think 30 would be perfect.
    Awesome, thanks. Are you liking the 2.6s? Do they seem different than 2.35 on the trails? They look beefier, but just by a bit.

Awesome, thanks. Are you liking the 2.6s? Do they seem different than 2.35 on the trails? They look beefier, but just by a bit.
    I've only had a chance to ride them in the wet mud, but they were far better than I expected based on the crap conditions.

I was riding a mix of "new" and "old" 2.35 Nics for most of last season, with the old split-block tire on the back. It had stretched out to almost 2.5in, with the "new" model being a bit smaller.

I wasn't really impressed with the rear tire, it seemed like regardless of tire pressure I could get it to slip when climbing (SS hammering) even in good dry conditions. Almost incredibly, my Rock Razor was better. The 2.6 (of new design, of course) was great.

The 2.6 measures exactly 2.6 (at 33mm internal), so the extra bit of volume will be nice.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    i was finally able to get out to the local trails this weekend with the bike set up singespeed

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0063.jpg

the gearing is set up 30/20 and i was able to clear all the features/climbs in the 5 mile beginner/intermediate loop without killing myself.

im guessing i need to invest in a computer to figure out my cadence to fine tune the gearing. but i feel i can go up to a 32/20 or 30/19 without having to hike the climbs.

i also noticed a creak coming from somewhere in the front of the bike. ill take it to a local shop to grease the headset, and cut down the stem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0065.jpg  

Norđwegr
    What's the stock stem length for the 16/17s? My 45mm stem doesn't seem right.

Robtre

Need dropper seat post advice!!!

Friends of the Forum:

Ordering parts for my 2017 Honzo Steel XL , Can you guys help me with what dropper option? The Race Face has many options and my preference would be the 440mm length, 150mm drop if it will fit. Otherwise I will take the 375mm length, 125mm drop.

Any suggestions or a place to reference?
    -rides bikes for fun.

Norđwegr
    Sure the 375mm will be enough? I'm on a rf turbine 415/125 and it's barely long enough to make work on my '16 ti.

Given the choice I wouldn't have bought the turbine again, it's finicky to set up properly and the action of the seatpost isn't very smooth.

My Giant Switch at half the cost is a way better post with smoother operation, sadly it only comes in 30.9.

Next time I'm going back to Kindshock Levs, even the cheap ones are great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    Friends of the Forum:

Ordering parts for my 2017 Honzo Steel XL , Can you guys help me with what dropper option? The Race Face has many options and my preference would be the 440mm length, 150mm drop if it will fit. Otherwise I will take the 375mm length, 125mm drop.

Any suggestions or a place to reference?
    As a point of reference, I am 5'10" and just built up a medium frame Honzo with a 150mm Fox Transfer post with internal cable routing. It fit with no issues.

Edit: I said I have a large frame, but it's actually a medium.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dseybert; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    my 125mm KS LEV DX has been flawless for the 7 months I've had it.

Another vote for the KS Lev. The cable is great (external, but doesn't move). Best of both worlds imo (and the collar easily rotates for best position).

If I'm getting nitpicky, slightly less smooth then my reverb but who cares, doesn't effect the ride at all. Big pro is that unlike my reverb (which turned pogostick twice), it works and is still working.

Heads up on the raceface - my understanding is that while it utilizes some of the good parts of the 9point8 dropper, the rest of the parts are problematic. Someone correct me if this has changed.

Edit: I went into the store to buy a giant post but came out with the Lev Ti for the same price (good sale). The shim isn't a big deal to many, but would have bugged me.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lev TI is one of the best out there. I can't really fault it at all, I've run one for 1.5 years without a hiccup. Every bit as good as the Fall Line I've had for a year.

mtbr member
    I got the Fox after giving up on my KS LEV. After two years of ownership it was sent back 5 times for repair. The 6th time it stopped working it was no longer under warranty, so I spent $90 on a new cartridge and replaced it myself. The new cartridge lasted about 3 weeks. I threw it all in the garbage and got the Fox. No issues with the Fox so far after 6 months.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    What's the stock stem length for the 16/17s? My 45mm stem doesn't seem right.
    Hi vegard,
    The 2016 al large came with a 60mm stem (no idea about the rise, looks like 0 degree but not sure), and a 760mm handle bar fwiw

dontcha?
    +1 for the Fox Transfer
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Regrettably I'm selling my Honzo, but the photos for the listing came out pretty well so I thought I might as well post it here.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p5pb14542955.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p5pb14542954.jpg
    Living the dream at TDA Global Cycling – epic bike tours from 500 to 15,000 km.

TDA Global Cycling

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    Hi vegard,
    The 2016 al large came with a 60mm stem (no idea about the rise, looks like 0 degree but not sure), and a 760mm handle bar fwiw
    Thanks, was wondering what the stock stem was. Perhaps I should try going a bit longer rather than shorter. 45mm currently and it can feel a bit off sometimes.

Thanks, was wondering what the stock stem was. Perhaps I should try going a bit longer rather than shorter. 45mm currently and it can feel a bit off sometimes.
    IMO, and per Lopes' book, evidence of a stem that's too short is front wheel wandering on climbs due to your center of gravity being too far back. The TT on the Honzo is quite long, so short stems work well to compensate.
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Norđwegr
    Yep that's correct. I bought some cheap stems on ebay in 35 and 55mm, and a flat and riser bar. Going to play around a little to find out what fits me best. Not going crazy with the cheap stems on the bike, just going to ride around on the flats a little

My 2013 Honzo was perfect with a 50mm stem and 740 bar, but the reach was shorter.

Norđwegr
    Changed the travel to 120 today, going for a testride with it tomorrow. Got a shaft for 130 aswell. Just looking to liven it up a bit compared to the 140 I used before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Does anyone know if the specs on Kona's site are actually right? The TT on an XL 2017 Honzo ST is 693mm?? That's crazy if that's right. The 2016 TT is listed as 665, which is already on the long side.

I believe they are correct.

I too believe they may have gone too long. I'm 6'7 with a short 40mm stem on an XL with 668mm TTL and feel like it's just right. I don't know how another 30mm of TTL would feel...
    2016 Honzo Ti
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Robtre

I too believe they may have gone too long. I'm 6'7 with a short 40mm stem on an XL with 668mm TTL and feel like it's just right. I don't know how another 30mm of TTL would feel...
    I just got an XL frame and it is loooooooong! Waiting on parts, will post up build pics soon. I lined up the frame with my 2015 Canfield N9, which is too short for me, the Honzo was way streched out.

EDIT: If my math is correct:
    Canfield N9 635mm TT, 50mm stem, Thomson setback seatpost -20mm= Net 665 Reach

New Honzo- 695mm TT, 50mm stem= Net 745 reach.

Norđwegr
    If I ever have to make use of the lifetime warranty I fear whatever frame they have to replace it with will be too big for me. My small 2016 has 416 reach and it's rather stretched already.

Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    EDIT: If my math is correct:
    Canfield N9 635mm TT, 50mm stem, Thomson setback seatpost -20mm= Net 665 Reach

New Honzo- 695mm TT, 50mm stem= Net 745 reach.

mtbr member
    If I ever have to make use of the lifetime warranty I fear whatever frame they have to replace it with will be too big for me. My small 2016 has 416 reach and it's rather stretched already.
    I have a 2013 small frame sitting around collecting dust for ya!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Honzbros,

I've put in a few rides on my new (2016) Honzo and I'm hear to report I'm sold on the 140mm fork set up. Thought it might be a bit much for some of my steeper/twistier climbs, but hit them pretty much all yesterday without trouble. I actually find the longer cockpit nice on tight ascents as I don't feel all cramped in there with the bars turning back on myself. The clincher was when I came into a tight switchback a bit too hot going down. Thought for sure I was gonna mess up the turn, but rolled through with total confidence.

140mm all the way unless you're riding full XC stuff, but if that's the case a slack 30lb steel hardtail probably isn't your thing.

This bike makes things feel easy. Going down feels slower, if that makes any sense.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Big Honzo DL but I seem to be sorta in between a medium and a small. I'm 5'6" and ride a small surly ogre and a small salsa fargo. I tried a santa cruz chameleon and was surprised I would be better off in a medium. It looks like the honzo has about a 1 cm longer reach and 1 cm higher stack. Does the 1cm make a big difference?

Norđwegr
    There's no way I'd buy a medium [current] Kona at 5'7. My 2016 small honzo ti is pretty much at the very edge of what I can make do with and it's 1cm shorter in reach than the big honzo. I have short legs and a long torso.

Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I have a 2013 small frame sitting around collecting dust for ya!
    Hehe, if the time comes I'd be all over that. My 2013 was the most fun I've had on two wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-004.jpg

Carbon before cleanse. I ride a 2012 steel Honzo, but I'm tossing this hoss around to write a tryout review for the venerable Dirt Rag -- I'll post it here when I wrap it up. Their official review of it comes out next month.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anyone have a rough or educated guess on how many Honzo's are made each year? Seems like they go quick and not a lot around for sale used. Just wondering...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2423 View Post
    Anyone have a rough or educated guess on how many Honzo's are made each year? Seems like they go quick and not a lot around for sale used. Just wondering...
    Not sure, but I started looking for my Honzo AL/DL last year around May and it was slim pickin's. Was able to get one but I had to do some searching.

I am actually listing the frame and fork (and some extra bits) for sale if you're looking.

The shop I purchased the bike from was able to locate one medium sized AL/DL for me, and I think it might have been one of the last few they had in stock (at Kona).

All the other Kona dealers I called in the area didn't have any left, or had some closeout 2015 Honzos but in the wrong size.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What size are you looking for? I'm thinking about selling my 2016 ST in small.

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	1132483

Carbon before cleanse. I ride a 2012 steel Honzo, but I'm tossing this hoss around to write a tryout review for the venerable Dirt Rag -- I'll post it here when I wrap it up. Their official review of it comes out next month.
    First Impression: Kona Honzo CR Trail DL ? Dirt Rag
    This one?

No idea, but the frames are usually cheap enough to hang onto rather than sell. It's not like they're going to degrade in ride quality over the years so that might be a factor in why they're scarce in the used market.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am an XL. I have a 2014 Honzo with matching green i9 wheels that I want to SS and looking for a steel framed 2016 to gear. I picked up a set of i9 torch wheels with orange spokes and a 10spd shimano xt cassette for extremely cheap and thought this would be a great combo. The 2017 hub spacing will not work or I would go that route. All my bikes are steel and at 210 pounds even my 2014 model is super comfortable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

That's so crazy. I'm 6'4" and this is the first time I've ever wondered if a bike is too big for me.

mtbr member
    Do any of you guys with the XL Honzos have some photos of them