Shimano 12-36t cassette
Niner 32t front chain ring
XT rear shifter
BBG bash
N-gear Jumpstop
Cane Creek Headset / inset top, external lower

27 lbs. 13 ounces

Here's my review after my first ride today:

Just got back from ATT and I'm really, really, happy with the bike.

First of all, I expected the front end to wander on steep climbs, but it stuck, no wandering. This has a lot to do with the steep seat tube. It felt very efficient without any discernable bottom bracket flex. I expected this because the tubes Kona uses are fatter than my old Niner MCR 9. This frame weighs 5.75lbs. where the Niner 853 steel frame weighed 4.5lbs. and doesn't have sliding dropouts. For my weight, about 200lbs., the MCR 9 was nooodly, but comfortable. I felt it absorbed a lot of my pedaling power and the head tube was extremely flexy. The Honzo is a stout frame, and I don't think you can achieve that without it weighing more. I don't notice the weight, but I do notice the power transfer and SOLID feel of the frame. Also, I expected to dab the more technical sections because I'm not tuned to this bike yet, but I cleaned them all.

After reaching the top we lowered our seats and headed back. The words that comes to mind descending on this bike are INSANELY FAWKING AWESOME. Because of the short chain stays, the bike corners like a roller coaster doing a 180. The Honzo's geometry positions you over the rear tire and the pivot point of the bike in the turns. I'm not much of a downhiller, but I was flying and not worrying about any ruts or rocks because the fork and frame just swallowed them up, very confidence inspiring. The chain stays also make coming off jumps more intuitive. With Niner's geometry I always felt like I was waiting for the rear tire when popping off curbs and jumps, but the Kona feels right on.

This is the best bike I have ever owned, period. If you're worried about frame weight, you could save about 1/4-1/2 lb. going with a Canfield Nimble 9. The geometries with 120mm forks are almost identical, but the Nimble 9 has a slacker seat tube, which may affect climbing, and it does not accommodate a tapered fork, two things I really love about the Honzo.

PS - check out this video of the Honzo in action: House of the Big Wheel Part 1: Honzo and Satori on Vimeo

IMG_1499

IMG_1498

See less See more
#330 ·
Warranty Wheel Update

I just had the stock wheel/freehub replaced!
It only took, what, 3 months!
:madmax:F'ing redonkulous!!!:madmax:

I just happen to go by my shop today and they had the new freehub installed. They told me the part came in yesterday afternoon.

The only reason the part actually came in is because I've have been politely emailing Kona over the last 3 weeks and explaining to them how f'ing mad :madmax: I've been with how slow this has been dealt with.

What a joke.
If I hadn't bought a new wheelset my Honzo would have been sitting in the shed unridden for the last 3.5 months.

My take away from this experience is hope that nothing ever needs to be warrantied!

#331 ·
Hey Ride

I'm in the process of getting all the parts for mine.... Also ordered the 2013 Honzo so waiting on it as well. I just got my AKA cranks last night with the bling ring ... Can't wait!

Question for you? I am stuck on which fork to get? I want to stay at 140 and 34 but you know what that limits your options to Fox unless Fusion comes out with the Trace.... But haven't heard much about it? Being a big guy 6' 5" and between 260 -290 depending on the diet I don't want anything that won't handle my weight for stiffness. Do you have any opinions? How heavy are you and would you stick with your Revelation?

Btw- I had an old 26" Kona Manomano that needed warranty and it looks like the company hasn't changed since 10 years ago....... They are slow! Had to hand it to them they took care of it eventually.

#332 ·
Hey Ride

I'm in the process of getting all the parts for mine.... Also ordered the 2013 Honzo so waiting on it as well. =
=.
How much is the 2013 frameset? Same as last years?

As for the forks, I will soon tell you the difference between the Fox 34 and 2012 Revelation RL 140 for a guy my size, 6'4" and 235 lbs. I ended up buying a new take-off fork of a SC Tallboy LT last week and it's arriving today. If I'll like the findings, the Fox 34 will most definitely be for sale, as the price difference between I paid for the two is :eekster:.

Also it will drop about half a pound off my build as the first Revelation RLT (was always curious how it rode lol) I sold before the Fox 34 was only a few over 4 lbs. The Fox 34 is closer to 4.5 lbs. And the 2012 Rockshox stuff comes with the 20mm Maxle, unlike the 2013 stuff, 15QR only.

Going to try new bars as well, with the Chromags, I have them slammed on the stem with no spacers, I still want to go lower. Picking up a set of Raceface Atlas FR too, 13mm rise vs. 25mm on the Chromags.

Thought about upgrading brakes from Shimano SLX M665 to XT M785, but I just can't commit the $300+ on the upgrade, especially since my SLX have been trouble free since day 1. I can't say the same for the new XT stuff after reading reviews here. Maybe that will be a next year purchase if I can get a good deal on a set.

#333 ·
Hey Euro

The price I was quoted was $15 cheaper than last years.... Go figure! Plus I didn't have to buy the 142 drop outs!

Cool let me know on the forks what you think. That trace you told me about looks perfect but it doesn't look like much is happening with it? Have you ever though about doing the Fox 36 and doing the mod to lower it? I guess that would be overkill but it would be stiff!

I went with the new Easton 35 carbon bars and stem to try. I used to work for Easton so I'm partial to their stuff. Should be here today along with my vault pedals!!

#334 ·
You went through a bike shop or found it online? I take it you went for the new 20 size right? 26" ETT?

The X-Fusion Trace does look perfect but they are sure slow with releasing it. All I'm curious is its price, if it's anything like the Fox 34, it better be a great fork, but looking at their pricing, they are more on par with Rockshox instead of $$$ Fox.

Here's some Euro Bike info on it.

And the Havoc 35 is nice stuff indeed. :thumbsup: I'd be open to trying it, but that requires a new stem. :D

#348 ·
^ What's a good starting pressure for the Revelation? Seeing as we are almost the same weight.

And I still can't believe the weight of the Revelation that I got today, threw it on the scale, it's under 4 lbs. 3 lbs 15 oz to be exact, with a starnut and 7.5" steerer. The Fox 34 Float is almost 4.6 lbs with a shorter steerer. It feels so light!

#349 ·
Not sure if you're asking me. But...

I have the stock Revelation RL Dual Air.
The pressures I have in the fork for the 140mm setting is:
Positive Air Chamber - 130psi (maybe a hair under because my shock pump has graduations of 10psi marks which I eye-ball when setting it up)
Negative Air Chamber - 150psi - maybe slightly under (Yes,yes, I know it says that you shouldn't go above 15psi between the Positive and Negative chambers because it affects sag. But somehow I've managed to make it work for me with my sag and ride feel.)

Those pressures get me sitting at a little over 20% sag.

I never use the lock out on the fork.

#351 · (Edited)
Nice one!

Argh - i cant post any pictures! :madmax:

My build will probably be:
Frame: Honzo 20L
Fork: Revelation RCT3 DPA
WS: Superstar Switch with Stans Flow 29
Headset: Cane Creek
Crank: SLX 36Z
Pedals: Nukeproof Electron
Brakes: XT 203/180
Cog: HomeBrewdComponents 20z
Stem: Thomson 50mm
Seatpost: Thomson 31.6x410
Bars: Race Face Atlas FR or Truvativ Boo Bar
Grips: ESI ?or 0815 Lock Ons

I am still looking for some nice tires (rubberqueen 2,2" f&r?) - any suggestions?

@Eurospec
Pls let me know your pressures, i got the same fork and weight ;)

€dit:
And can someone of you tell me the actual length of the toptube center-center in 20L? I ordered the (22)20L frame, got the box with 22" on it and a frame with a 20" sticker. Without the wheelset i am currently unable to measure the horizontal toptube length :/

#352 ·
€dit:
And can someone of you tell me the actual length of the toptube center-center in 20L? I ordered the (22)20L frame, got the box with 22" on it and a frame with a 20" sticker. Without the wheelset i am currently unable to measure the horizontal toptube length :/
The top-tube length center to center is 24.5 inches--just over 62 cm.

My 20L came with a 22 sticker, right over the 20" sticker.

#360 ·
Alright, I am starting to look at pieces for the build of the Honzo.

Build plan, as it looks now:

Fox Rev (stock fork). I will leave it at 120 initially, may move it up to 140. I dont really think I need 140mm, as I already have a 26" long travel HT (chromag stylus) and a 6" FS bike.
Stem - not sure yet
Bars - Chromag or Atlas, possibly Spank Spike. Kore Torsion looks decent as well
Brakes - Elixer? or SLX
Wheels - King hubs (have), laced to Flow EX or i23's.
Probably a Thomson post, Chromag Q/R and saddle

The big question for me right now, is crankset.

I already have a set of E13 XCX SS cranks in the parts box, along with several SS rings, but in 32 and 34t, for the 26ers.

Should I stick with a 32t up front, gamble on HBC and a 31t, or pick up Sram stuff to run a 28t?

And which Sram setup if I go that way?

#363 ·
The big question for me right now, is crankset.

And which Sram setup if I go that way?
I went Sram and got a 28T HBC chainring paired with a 17T cog (roughly between 32/20 and 32/19). I would have gone MRP if they were available at the time, as the HBC ring took 3+ months, and he needs to lose some business to learn to run it properly. Being the only option for a product may have made it justifiable in the past, but no more.

I went XO this time, but mainly on impulse as there was a deal from the distributor (though they were still stupid pricey). If I had to do it again, I'd have gone with X9. The XOs aren't as light as they should be, based on the weight of other carbon cranks (RaceFace etc), although they do look quite a bit fancier than the blah X9s. I was also looking at the E13s, to be different.

Otherwise, can't go wrong with SLX it seems, but a spidered SS setup still looks like a compromise - spiderless it just awesome. And lighter!

EDIT: Also, I really like my Easton Haven stem. Similar weight to a Thomson, but a bit more bling.

#364 ·
Any of you guys running SRAM having issues with stiffness? I am a big guy (260) working down, but dont want to compromise there. I can deal with extra weight on the crankset if needed.

I currently have a set of SLX (double) running a single ring on the Chromag, and frankly, no real issues on the Sram setup on the Spec either.

I would probably go AKA vs the X9, as they dont look very different, and at 9g difference, its not worth any extra to go X9...

I am just a little hesitant to give up on the XCX setup to go to Sram... But I know I have moved from 36 to 32T on the 26er, so a smaller ring on the 29er makes sense as well. But the quality is evident on the E13 setup.

As to HBC... The issues are enough to keep me willing to push a 32 instead of trying for their 31, at least in the near term.

Ahh, first world problems.

#365 ·
Any of you guys running SRAM having issues with stiffness?
Haven't noticed flex with my cranks, I'm 220. I've never been one to notice that sort of thing though, so either I've always had stiff cranks or just don't notice.

Pretty sure all XO crank arms are the same, meaning the DH ones are the same as the XC ones, which I'd hope would mean they're stiff. Might be why they weight more than most carbon cranks too.

#366 ·
I am 110kg and I was running SLX cranks(double set up as single ring) for a year and loved them! They were one thing on my bike I never thought about (best complement you can pay a piece of kit)

About 6 weeks ago I changed to X9 cranks/28t Bling. I was apprehensive about the move as I liked everything about the shimano cranks but so far so good. I was tentative in the rough stuff at first although now like the SLX cranks I don't think about them anymore. Time will tell how they hold up but so far no complaints. I have had a similar expreience to Noot And have not felt any noticable flex in my cranks. If SLX could be run spiderless they would be top of my list however SRAM seem to have done a good job on the X9 so they are worth a spin.

#368 ·
I am going to get flamed on this but I'll go for it anyway! I am between Chris King mango hubs and Black for the new 2013 Honzo. What do you think? Are those Mango hubs to much? Ive got an Easton havoc 35 orange stem but that would be the only other orange bit on the bike. Everything else is black including rims and spokes.

#390 ·
I am going to get flamed on this but I'll go for it anyway!
F**k this picture makes viewing this thread a pain in the ass on my desktop compy.
On my phone I don't even bother looking at this thread any more because viewing it is unwieldy.

[sarcastic tone] Thanks buddy. [sarcastic tone]

#370 · (Edited)
For the 2013 Honzo, I would definitely go CK Mango, it's a nice match, the only thing I would worry about is planning ahead with another bike, it would be hard to match. With black hubs, you can match them to any new frame if you wish so easily.

And I'll be the first to admit, the 2013 has definitely grown on me aesthetically. At first I definitely didn't dig the retro orange decals and goldish tint of the clearcoat, but it's still not enough to warrant an upgrade for me any time soon. :D

BTW sheranian, that picture is huge. :eekster:

And looks like the official photo off Kona's website, the Revelation fork looks to be more than 120mm in travel. There's definitely more stanchion showing than their 2012 official photo, and I confirmed it in Photoshop lol.

But looks like the bikes are shipping with 120mm travel:skep:

#374 · (Edited)
Changed anyone of you who rides a Revelation ( RCT3, DPA) your DPA Unit to a Coil Unit? I do know that it is possible for the 26" to take e.g. the coil unit of a 150mm sektor, but i don't know if i can adjust the sektor coil unit to the needed 140mm and if there are any major differences between the 140 29"/ 150 26" castings..?
If you are interested i could keep u updated - i will ride my DPA and then hopefully change it to a coil version in late autumn.

Edit: Change of plans, i will buy a new one and take the 140 u-turn sektor kit - this should work fine :cool:

#375 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Thinking about ditching the stock crankset and going spiderless with a blingring 30t....will these cranks work for this application on the Honzo 2012? I tried to research specs but would like to be sure before I order...any other parts I would need? Bottom bracket compatible? I realize I may have to modify/swap out the e*thirteen LS1 chainguide due to the offset chainring...appreciate your help...:thumbsup:

Truvativ Aka GXP 3.3 Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Cbiz....

Edit: probably need the 1.1? not sure since only the cranks (no rings) will be used??