Page 72 of 74 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374 LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,600 of 3663
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Ok, thanks for confirming this. I was wrong about the Honzo's then, I stand corrected. Damn, I don't like this part of the design and those rubber grommets are lame. If a manufacturer is going to have details like this they should have a screw down port cover and make the port larger. They would have been better off running an internal tubing from head tube to seat tube for the dropper. I'm sure the CR is the same then. I've got one on order but I may just use the Lev Ti dropper ext. routing on it and seal those holes up.
    I do love that Ti Honzo regardless. Are you totally stoked on this bike?
    I couldn't agree more amigo...the evil grommets are a joke...and every dropper post grommet I have used so far has split....

I actually don't mind the lack of internal tubing but the entry points should be as you described (screw down port covers.

And yes...still stoked on the ti honzo..this coming from a guy who has a short attention span when it comes to bikes..
    Last edited by ledude; 08-04-2016 at 08:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Are any of y'all running the aluminum as a single speed? Is it a standard dropout that requires a tensioner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The alu Honzo would require a tensioner to run singlespeed. A friend did exactly that, with an Alfine tensioner, with good results. He weighs about 150 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Cool. I just hate the look but man the large honzo ring 7 pounds

There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I know... but I think frame weight matters less and less as I switch between my steel Honzo and lighter bikes. Sure, you're gonna feel a five-lb difference somewhat, but 2-3 lbs isn't a big deal for a frame. Really, it's fitness that matters most. If you bang out a bunch of hard, long climbs and work on going fast for long and short intervals ("training" is just game time for me, getting after it), a few pounds underneath is barely noticeable. And if you're out of shape, then really riding anything will be difficult.

Though, like most, I do agree that light wheels make a massive difference. Stiff, light rims and good rubber are easy to come by, and wholly worth buying. And they make a "heavy" steel Honzo feel downright sprightly. grin.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi guys, any thoughts about new Honzo geo? Is 475 mm Reach to much for 5'11''?
    Will it bee enough nimble on trail with switchbacks?

Thanks

Norđwegr
    Thanks for the tips about the grommet (learned a new word too), for now I'm just going to do two layers of gorillatape with a hole cut out for the cable. Going to do the same up at the seatpost.

Compared to my previous 2013 Honzo I've actually discovered some things that I don't like on the Ti Honzo.

# The seatpost slit is on the back rather than on the front. My seatpost will start creaking from all the grit that is flung in there after a ride or two. Going to tape it up

# For whatever reason the TI bike is somewhat less playful than the 2013 steel. I assume it's the reach difference.

# The stealth routing is junk. For anyone seeing this, consider buying an externally routed KS Lev or Fox Transfer with the cable at the seatpost clamp.

To end on a good note, the TI is way more spritely than my old steel. Quicker off the mark, climbs better and for some reason does better on the flats.

the air is thin up here..
    Seatpost slit won't fit on front anymore due to the gusset... I think, haven't actually looked.

Your statement re: long reach reinforces what I've been thinking about the new 2017 ST geo... Too long!
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon commuter
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I really need to demo one of these if I'm to purchase. That tt is ridiculous.

Norđwegr
    If I ever have to use the lifetime warranty I hope there's cheap surgery to lengthen my body because I won't fit any of the replacement smalls if this keeps up.

Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Seatpost slit won't fit on front anymore due to the gusset... I think, haven't actually looked.
    I guess that's the reason, there is no gusset on my small though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    DHF 2.5 front and rear Haven't tried the DHR in any size, don't really see the need at this point because the DHF did great.
    hi vegard,

thanks again for your reply some weeks back. i opted for dhf 2.5 front and dhf 2.3 rear, which fits nicely into the honzo 13 frame.
    one question regarding mounting the dhf rear: did you mount it against the recommended rotation direction, to improve uphill grip?

tak so mycket!

mtbr member

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    Sorry for the bad pics but here is a look at a just mounted and set to pressure (not ridden) 2.35 Racing Ralph on a Derby 29mm ID on a Honzo CR. It's tight...

Attachment 1086099Attachment 1086100Attachment 1086101Attachment 1086102
    Hey MC, Thanks for these photos. That doesn't look that tight, maybe if you were in a sticky, clay type mud, that might be an issue. I think the Nobby Nick, Hans Damf and Big Ardent would fit as well.
    Can you tell me about the dropper post routing, is there an internal tube in the down tube and one in the seat tube?
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Norđwegr
    Crooked post mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    hi vegard,

thanks again for your reply some weeks back. i opted for dhf 2.5 front and dhf 2.3 rear, which fits nicely into the honzo 13 frame.
    one question regarding mounting the dhf rear: did you mount it against the recommended rotation direction, to improve uphill grip?

tak so mycket!
    I mounted it in the rotational direction, it offers alot of grip in all conditions I've tried so I don't see any need to reverse it honestly.

Hey that's swedish! :P

mtbr member

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

I think the Honzo CR's will be delivering soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What's the issue?!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    @Most -- what's with the coy? If it's carbon, say it's the carbon!

mtbr member
    Nothing to hide - will share details once the situation is resolved to satisfaction which will be soon.

Kona and dealer (Bikeman) continue to be very responsive to the situation. Customer service from both have been fantastic.
    You should hold off on posting until you have something to contribute to thread.
    14 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Whe are the 2017 frames set to release? I'm still torn between med and large.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I mean I agree with him. You essentially just stirred the pot and didn't give any info. That's like me saying "guys! They're changing something huge with the honzo! I know all about it but I'm not allowed or flat out refuse to divulge any info!! Bwahaha!

Why the hell even post in the first place? You just want attention. Finish the warranty then come back and let us know so someone else doesn't make the same mistake you did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Frames are Sept/Oct from what I learned today. Some completes landed this week.
    See. Good post.

"I warrantied my frame but won't tell y'all why"
    Bad post.

mtbr member
    I received an early release frame that was meant for team members - not production.

The rear rotor all but rubbed on the caliper mounts. Either the frame twisted upon removal from the mold, did not cure properly and/or it was an early beta. I can't answer that at this point nor can anyone else until is it has been looked at more closely.

The issue has been resolved.
    does that mean youre the right dude....dude?

your contribution to this thread is unmatched
    14 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL

You guys need to chill and go ride your honzos!
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com

Zaf
    mtbr member
    I am in the process of upgrading my 2015 Honzo ST.

Just a heads up, because weights exist NOWHERE on the internet or otherwise.
    Size Large
    2016 Honzo Ti weight 2170g with Maxle and seatclamp

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Nice.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20160804_105743.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-p5pb13786339.jpg

Norđwegr
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-12934884_511398315728700_266323552_n.jpg

Since it appears to be toptube friday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What do the 16 st frames weigh?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The start of a new adventure!
    2016 xl st/ss
    Hadley/stans flow mk3
    Zee crank set
    Renthal 32t chain wheel
    Surley 18t cog
    KMC K910
    Pike 140
    9.8 fall line dropper
    Xt bakes 180mm f+r
    Renthal cockpit
    Maxxis minion dhf 29x2.5 f+rHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-image.jpg

Cool-blue Rhythm

Alright. Somehow I have only like 4 parts from my 2012 build left?! And since I'm done for a while, I'm posting my build...

'16 XL Honzo Ti
    Rockshox Revelation RCT3 140mm
    Sram XO Cranks
    Homebrewed Components 28T ring
    Nextie 40mm/33mm Carbon hoops
    CX-Ray spokes
    Hope Pro2 Evo hubs
    XT M8000 brakes, all Ti hardware, 8in/7in Icetech rotors
    KS Lev-Ti 150mm dropper
    Magic Mary front, Rock Razor rear
    Chromag BZA 35 800mm Carbon bar
    Raceface Atlas 35 35mm stem
    Bontrager Evoke RXL saddle
    ODI Troy Lee grips

Around 25.5lbs with pedals and muddy 900g+ tires.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20160813_171248-collage.jpg
    Last edited by noot; 08-13-2016 at 06:34 PM.
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Sick bike noot! I so want a Ti Honzo but I'm going with the CR, orders in with my buddies at Quick Stop Bike in Marquette. I'd love both but can't afford it. As it is I'm selling off some stuff to help fund it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is the kona honzo at frame on the website the 2016 or 2017? I'm seeing yalls 2016 but they look exactly what's currently on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Is the kona honzo at frame on the website the 2016 or 2017? I'm seeing yalls 2016 but they look exactly what's currently on the site.
    The picture of the "2017" models for ST and Ti are the exact same pics from the 2016. But, I can't imagine they'd go through the trouble of getting new shots of all 2017 models except those 2...?

Raw is where it's at though.
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com

Norđwegr
    AFAIK the geo on those two aren't updated either so it's probably going to be the same.

The 2013 golden turd colour is the prettiest I think, I actually miss this bike even though I'm still using most of the parts on my TI.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-bilde22_zps1abd6195.jpg

Noot, how do you deal with steep hills with step-like features? I have a hard time imagining how I could get up something like that without gears. But ss has me curious..

mtbr member
    noot, what gear are you going to run on the Ti?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    AFAIK the geo on those two aren't updated either so it's probably going to be the same.

The 2013 golden turd colour is the prettiest I think, I actually miss this bike even though I'm still using most of the parts on my TI.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bilde22_zps1abd6195.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	1087979

Noot, how do you deal with steep hills with step-like features? I have a hard time imagining how I could get up something like that without gears. But ss has me curious..
    ST geo did change, they made the TT longer. Ti is unchanged I believe.

Shorter technical climbs I just stand and push hard. The beauty of SS is I never worry if I'm in the right gear, or about getting into it... I just go for it! Surprising what you can make. I also don't need to worry about the front end wandering as much since I'm never sitting and spinning in a 50T crazy gear, so I can get away with a short stem etc.

The real challenge is long lung busters. For most climbs, I just push hard, beat everyone up, have a heart attack, and recover by the time they catch up. My ability to do that is directly related to fitness level though, which usually isn't great.

I'm currently running 28-19, which is pretty easy. Likely going back to 28-17 soon, maybe with an oval ring.
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    ST geo did change, they made the TT longer. Ti is unchanged I believe.

Shorter technical climbs I just stand and push hard. The beauty of SS is I never worry if I'm in the right gear, or about getting into it... I just go for it! Surprising what you can make. I also don't need to worry about the front end wandering as much since I'm never sitting and spinning in a 50T crazy gear, so I can get away with a short stem etc.

The real challenge is long lung busters. For most climbs, I just push hard, beat everyone up, have a heart attack, and recover by the time they catch up. My ability to do that is directly related to fitness level though, which usually isn't great.

I'm currently running 28-19, which is pretty easy. Likely going back to 28-17 soon, maybe with an oval ring.
    Is that your everyday or your big day mountain gear?

I have 32/19 for local and 32/21 for big mountain days (which I haven't done since getting a 140mm FS )

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone know of any large honzo frames for sale anywhere?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Building up a 2017 Honzo ST frame when it comes in!!!!!! From what I can see on Kona's website it has been boosted and gone a bit longer in the top tube. Im stoked but wondering what length fork to use. I've got a 36 RC2 on order in 150mm travel. I know 150 is probably too much for the bike, but the fork can go down in travel. So I was wondering if I should go all the way down to 120 or go up to 130-140. Im a pretty aggressive rider and enjoy the shredding of the gnar, but the bike needs to get me to the top in one piece.

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Anyone know of any large honzo frames for sale anywhere?

Bikeman Kona 2017 Honzo ST with SRAM Maxle, LG but still listed as preorder.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I reeeeally don't want boost for financial reasons. I can build much more bike with standard thru f/r

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    @Noot: That build looks great. Well done. I expect that you've done some experimenting with your singlespeed ratios, but just in case you haven't tried it I wanted to suggest going with 34:20 instead of 28:17. Same ratio, but feels a lil smoother, easier; and it wears out a little slower.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I wish I could buy a '16 or '17 complete ST. Since I can't would it save me some money to buy the ST frame and a complete AL/DL, transfer the components to the ST and sell the AL/DL frame? Dumb idea? Worth the trouble? Are all the parts even compatable?

Norđwegr
    Bottom brackets and headsets are different for st and al I believe.

If you go to the BST over on pinkbike there's quite a few frames and fully built honzos for sale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    None of them are large steel though. And I'm looking for a frame only.

mtbr member

160mm fork on the Honzo?

Hi,
    I'm considering bolting a 160mm Fox 36 to my 2013 Honzo. Has anyone here gone 160 on their Honzos?
    This is just out of curiosity as the fork i'd buy ships with spacers included, so reducing travel to 140 should be a breeze.
    Also, according to the description, the max tire size recommended is 2.4", which I doubt honestly. Does anyone know if a Minion DHF 2.5 fits in the fox 36?

Thanks to y'all!

Rynee

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    Hi,
    I'm considering bolting a 160mm Fox 36 to my 2013 Honzo. Has anyone here gone 160 on their Honzos?
    This is just out of curiosity as the fork i'd buy ships with spacers included, so reducing travel to 140 should be a breeze.
    Also, according to the description, the max tire size recommended is 2.4", which I doubt honestly. Does anyone know if a Minion DHF 2.5 fits in the fox 36?

Thanks to y'all!

Rynee
    I ran the Fox 36 at 160mm on my 2014 Honzo and it was great. The actual A-C height was 7mm more than my previous first year Fox 34 29 Float 140mm. For me and my riding I didn't notice any change in handling. That said, I would probably drop it to 150mm for how I ride it now (SS)

Fox 36 will fit Minion DHF 2.5 with room to spare.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I just got my 2016 Honzo AL dl on tuesday. Already wondering how it runs with a 140mm fork. I wouldn't imagine it would affect things too much. The 140mm air spring doesn't seem like too expensive of a modification.

Anybody with a 140mm fork on an AL Honzo?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DownForFun View Post
    I ran the Fox 36 at 160mm on my 2014 Honzo and it was great. The actual A-C height was 7mm more than my previous first year Fox 34 29 Float 140mm. For me and my riding I didn't notice any change in handling. That said, I would probably drop it to 150mm for how I ride it now (SS)

Fox 36 will fit Minion DHF 2.5 with room to spare.

Hi DownForFun!

Thanks for the fast and detailed response! that sounds really great - better than I expected
    Thanks also for the confirmation regarding the Minions!
    I think I'll take the bait on that one.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    build up my 2015 ST last night...

will usually be 29", but wheels are interchangeable with the 27.5 plus wheels on my enduro.

29x2.3/2.5"

27.5x2.8/3.0"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would have loved that frame. I'm not sure how I feel about the raw this year.

Honzo brothers? Bronzos?

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20160820_102538_hdr.jpg
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com