Page 71 of 73 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273 LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,550 of 3646
    Norđwegr
    Slightly OT, but damn this is one affordable and neat ride:

On One DeeDar SRAM GX1 Mountain Bike | On - One
    WTB:

mtbr member
    I just got back from a three day trip through Slovenia. The honzo has proven it's worth many times over 😊 I'm ever more impressed by that bike. We had two 26er fullies and two 29er fullies (carbon stumpy and carbon enduro) in the group as well. First, the advantage of the 29ers was extremely noticable both uphill and downhill. Second, the steel honzo with a 32T oval ring (i'm entirely sold on that one now) and 11-42 cassette was amazing - going uphill like a clockwork with flat pedals. Downhills were a bit more challenging than with the 29er squishies, of course. Third, the hardtail frame offers valuable storage possibilities...I'll post pics later on.

Did I convey the notion that I'm stoked? 😃

Norđwegr
    Would love to see pictures, I've never been there!
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Thanks for your patience, sir
    Break before the first downhill section:
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-wp_20160702_013.jpg

High plateau "Nanos":
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-wp_20160703_043.jpg
    On our way down - blasted by sideways winds:

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-wp_20160703_055.jpg
    The mule:

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-wp_20160703_060.jpg

Reaching our goal - the sea:
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-wp_20160704_057.jpg
    Last edited by Rynee; 07-06-2016 at 08:57 PM.

mtbr member

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    Thanks for your patience, sir
    Break before the first downhill section:
    Attachment 1080512

High plateau "Nanos":
    Attachment 1080515

On our way down - blasted by sideways winds:
    Attachment 1080516

The mule:
    Attachment 1080517

Reaching our goal - the sea:
    Attachment 1080518
    Great photos and stoke! Thanks for sharing. My gal is from Slovenia and we hope to get over there next year. You've got me fired up, can't wait.
    Last edited by manitou2200; 07-06-2016 at 08:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by carabao View Post
    I'd be happy if they were even close to 2.6. Very happy with the handling of the 2.3 but would love more volume. Also interested in the XR4 2.55s.
    Those, the 2.4 XR or SE4s and SE3s all interest me. XR3 and 4 combo has been great but I've torn sidewalls XR3 in back thus my interest in the SE3 tires. The Bontrager "3" tread is a lot of traction for how fast or quick it feels.

I forget how big a tire you can mount on a 2014 bike (green) - the frame or Revelation fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Great photos and stoke! Thanks for sharing. My gal is from Slovenia and we hope to get over there next year. You've got me fired up, can't wait.
    That's great to hear, thanks for the reply! You can definitely look forward to it, it's well worth the trip. And if your girl speaks the language, it's definitely a good bonus.
    Be sure to bring enough energybars, tools and spareparts though, we didn't see more than one bike shop in three days. And on Mondays apparently most restaurants seem to be closed.
    You might also want to check out the Soca valley, which is overwhelmingly beautiful. I've been there last year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    That's great to hear, thanks for the reply! You can definitely look forward to it, it's well worth the trip. And if your girl speaks the language, it's definitely a good bonus.
    Be sure to bring enough energybars, tools and spareparts though, we didn't see more than one bike shop in three days. And on Mondays apparently most restaurants seem to be closed.
    You might also want to check out the Soca valley, which is overwhelmingly beautiful. I've been there last year.
    Sweet man! Thanks for the beta. And yes she does speak the language. I'll brush up on mine as well as the Italiano. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    I forget how big a tire you can mount on a 2014 bike (green) - the frame or Revelation fork.
    While they're not the biggest tires available, I ran a 2.4 Ardent in a Brownzo (2013) and am currently running a 2.5 DHF in a 2012 Revelation.

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    While they're not the biggest tires available, I ran a 2.4 Ardent in a Brownzo (2013) and am currently running a 2.5 DHF in a 2012 Revelation.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Those, the 2.4 XR or SE4s and SE3s all interest me. XR3 and 4 combo has been great but I've torn sidewalls XR3 in back thus my interest in the SE3 tires. The Bontrager "3" tread is a lot of traction for how fast or quick it feels.

Revelation has plenty of room for anything that's not "29+" - and even some of those may fit.

From experience, a 2.35 Hans Dampf on a 23mm internal rim will NOT fit in the rear of a <2015 Honzo.
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon commuter
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Honzo plus

I have a Honzo 2015 model and I was thinking about trying to make it into a plus bike. I see that someone has done this before. What rims did people ise and did you have any problems with the chainline on a 142 rear end. Also are you running normal forks or Boost forks?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mccreaky View Post
    I have a Honzo 2015 model and I was thinking about trying to make it into a plus bike. I see that someone has done this before. What rims did people ise and did you have any problems with the chainline on a 142 rear end. Also are you running normal forks or Boost forks?

Thanks
    I went with i35 rims for 2.8 tires, seems like this is the sweet spot for many, I love it! Chainline won't be affected by going plus... You will still run a 142x12 rear hub. You could go boost or non-boost forks... I use my pike 29er fork, it can clear a 27.5x3.0 tire no problem - but I'm happy at 2.8 anyways.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My 29er fork is 100x15, not boost

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Also, the rear triangle fits a 2.8 Nobby Nic fine, but it's a little bit tight. Don't expect to go any wider in the rear without modifying the frame (not recommended). The 2.8 Nobby nic was getting too many punctures for me, I ended up switching to the 2.5 breakout which measures more like 2.6-2.7 on the i35 rim, it's also actually taller than the Nobby Nic. I plan on trying the WTB Ranger 2.8 once they release the dual ply tough version.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    From experience, a 2.35 Hans Dampf on a 23mm internal rim will NOT fit in the rear of a <2015 Honzo.
    That's odd. My 2012 fits a 2.35 HD or Nic with 29mm internal rim, with a little mud scrub room to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    That's odd. My 2012 fits a 2.35 HD or Nic with 29mm internal rim, with a little mud scrub room to spare.
    Very strange indeed. My 2012 had paint missing inside the yoke from the my HD rubbing in my Stans Flow. Not all the time, but enough around corners that I took it off after one ride.
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com

Bnerd
    I've run a Hans Dampf on the rear of my 2012 Honzo regularly over the years. It has been on a 22mm and 26mm IW rim.
    The HD fits with the dropouts in the shortest position with enough room for mud as was stated earlier. If you need a little more room slide the dropouts back a bit and you get some more clearance.

I do have most of the paint rubbed off in the chainstay yolk. But that's because of not having properly tensioned spokes on a previous wheel. I haven't had any rub since I had my wheels tensioned properly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    2012 Honzo.
    Currently has an XT (M780) triple crank with a 32t narrow-wide ring. Not a ton of clearance with the chainstay, but enough. Went to switch to a 34t and there is zero clearance.

Am I stuck and unable to go 34t with this current setup? Or am I having a brain fart and overlooking something simple?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by goalieman24 View Post
    2012 Honzo.
    Currently has an XT (M780) triple crank with a 32t narrow-wide ring. Not a ton of clearance with the chainstay, but enough. Went to switch to a 34t and there is zero clearance.

Am I stuck and unable to go 34t with this current setup? Or am I having a brain fart and overlooking something simple?
    Can you move your 34 to the outside of the spider where the big ring used to be when it was a triple? Also when you installed your BB did you include the drive side 2.5mm spacer behind the cup?

Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    I haven't had any rub since I had my wheels tensioned properly.
    Huh well, that was probably my issue. Time to fire my wheelbuilder... (me)
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    Can you move your 34 to the outside of the spider where the big ring used to be when it was a triple? Also when you installed your BB did you include the drive side 2.5mm spacer behind the cup?
    Yeah it definitely fits on the outside of the spider but I figured that would be a less than ideal chainline. I'm also deciding on some sort of bash/guide setup instead of the naked chainring as it currently sits, so I may want to keep the outside of the spider open.

I'm honestly not sure right off hand if the BB spacer is there or not. 2.5mm doesn't seem like it would make that much more room though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ha -- there's plenty of paint/steel schlopped off from the yoke, but the tire fit...

You should be able to run a 34-tooth on the inside of the spider -- I've done this with XT and SLX cranks; probably with a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side.

Norđwegr
    I never could get anything bigger than a 32t to with my 2013, but I guess I could have if I spaced out the BB quite a bit and 'ruined' the qfactor. My Ti will fit a 34 just fine without any spacing trickery, perhaps it's time to warrant a new frame? :P
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Can confirm: BB was spacer-less and adding one on the drive side cleared a 34t ring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    I never could get anything bigger than a 32t to with my 2013, but I guess I could have if I spaced out the BB quite a bit and 'ruined' the qfactor. My Ti will fit a 34 just fine without any spacing trickery, perhaps it's time to warrant a new frame? :P
    Well the 2.5mm spacer is supposed to be installed on all bb 73mm shells so its not really trickery. I think its overlooked a lot when people install a new bb.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    Well the 2.5mm spacer is supposed to be installed on all bb 73mm shells so its not really trickery. I think its overlooked a lot when people install a new bb.
    Basic bike building skills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Got my new xc race whip put together today, 23 lbs and totally awesome!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Super nice build!

Looks like a size large, is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by grnbkr View Post

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Very nice! I can't wait to build mine - waiting on some last parts.

Is that a 36 set to 120mm? Just curious why a 36 over the 34. That being said, at 23# I guess it doesn't matter!

And what rear tire and how is clearance?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Tire clearance is good, with a pretty worn and stretched out 2.35 Nobby Nic mud packs up a bit, but the wheel will spin freely, for racing this weekend I put on the 2.25 Racing Ralph and it was perfect.

The fork pictured is a 34 with a kabolt axle. The 34, trimmed steerer and the axle was lighter than my 2016 32, and is exactly 1 lb heavier than the new step cast fork.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=grnbkr;12733283]

Holy crap!!! Thats my dream bike!

So I'm curious, Ive got a Process 111Dl that I built up, but always need a hardtail in the stable. Being I love the GEO of the Process, it's natural to build a Honzo.

Konas new website shows they don't sell the Al/DL as a frame, only the 27.5+ as a frame only and the Carbon frame only option is the all black version.
    So my question is this: how did you get that frame with the red lettering? And where did you get it at as it appears our local shop will not be getting them in for months and I have a couple races I'm hoping to race on the Honzo August and Sept.

Any info on getting one of these Carbon frames in a large would be SOOOOO helpful!!!

Cheers!!!
    Ride, ski, ride, ski, repeat

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygolucky View Post
    Konas new website shows they don't sell the Al/DL as a frame
    They do, or atleast it says so on their page right under the photo of the bike. Click bikes, frames, then the AL/DL and look under the picture.

Seems that all the people who got a CR so far have gotten the orange lettered version of the frame.
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Tire clearance is good, with a pretty worn and stretched out 2.35 Nobby Nic mud packs up a bit, but the wheel will spin freely, for racing this weekend I put on the 2.25 Racing Ralph and it was perfect.

The fork pictured is a 34 with a kabolt axle. The 34, trimmed steerer and the axle was lighter than my 2016 32, and is exactly 1 lb heavier than the new step cast fork.

Thanks for the info. Ordered a 34 Factory this weekend.

[QUOTE=johnnygolucky;12735807]

So my question is this: how did you get that frame with the red lettering? And where did you get it at as it appears our local shop will not be getting them in for months and I have a couple races I'm hoping to race on the Honzo August and Sept.

Any info on getting one of these Carbon frames in a large would be SOOOOO helpful!!!

Cheers!!!
    I was told all early release frames were the 'race' version with the orange lettering.

My understanding from when I ordered my frame is the frame-only option was going to be very limited at release which seems to be what you're experiencing. I was told if I didn't jump on one now, it would likely be late fall, end of year.

You can try a couple of the online Kona retailers such as Cambria and Bikeman (although I think I may have gotten their only frame).

I do believe that completes are available at this time if that's a consideration for you.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Has anybody rode the new 2017 Big Honzo? Really want to pull the trigger on that beast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasadrzak47 View Post
    Has anybody rode the new 2017 Big Honzo? Really want to pull the trigger on that beast.
    No. The Wozo caught my attention as a fun way for my wife and I to get a second fat bike if that means give up our Honzo.

Both should be great bikes.

mtbr member
    I can't remember the top tube length of the 2016 Honzo St, however, it looks as though they have increased the top tube length by about 1cm for 2017 ( or maybe I am getting confused).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Really wish the Honzo ST Frameset would have been a different color this year. Bummed

Quote Originally Posted by Morgs010 View Post
    I can't remember the top tube length of the 2016 Honzo St, however, it looks as though they have increased the top tube length by about 1cm for 2017 ( or maybe I am getting confused).
    Here you are: KONA BIKES | 2016 BIKES | HONZO | Honzo ST
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    So looks as though for 2017 the Honzo ST will be approximately 1.5cm longer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgs010 View Post
    So looks as though for 2017 the Honzo ST will be approximately 1.5cm longer.
    yes. and today they corrected the info on the website for the 17 steel honzo - it is NOT boost, but will be 142x12 as in the previous years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyone running an ST with a 150mm fork? I am sending my 2014 140 talas back and just ordered a pike, I need to decide which air spring to get as the fork I got a deal on is currently at 130.

Norđwegr
    I'd try the 130 before spending money on changing it, you might like the spritely feel.

Hopefully I have the time to take out my ti this weekend, I've been overloaded by work lately so I can save up for schoolbooks.
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So, I tried out the 16 Honzo AL (M) and the 16 Honzo AL DL (L) for fit, and I am a little concerned about the sizing for the Honzo ST I intend to purchase to replace my broken Diamonback Sortie frame.

I had an interesting experience on the two bikes in that neither of them really fit me properly and I am a little nervous about pulling the trigger now. I usually ride a M 29er, so my first instinct was to try medium, but the reach was way too short, I kept getting pushed off the back of the saddle... I tried the AL DL in Large, and the reach was perfect, but the standover was too high! It looks like the SO for the 17 honzo is the same for every model but the small (?) which is bigger than the rest of them (??). If this is true, the answer is to buy a large Honzo, but I would love some insight into this...
    "What Made Milwaukee Famous Has Made a Loser Out of Me"

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizerennder.jpgThought you might want to see my 2016 Honzo custom build, Spank custom build rims with Hope hubs next
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0733.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0736.jpg  

Norđwegr
    You should get a dvo diamond to top off all that green.

WTB:

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What's up with the hookworms? This a urban mountain version?

--Looks dope, btw.
    Last edited by Collins; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Built a new 2016 honzo DL frame with some spare parts I had lying around. Built this one up as a lightweight-ish alternative to my other bikes.

Full SLX drivetrain & brakes
    32 absolute oval ring
    11-40 sunrace cassette
    specialized carbon/ti saddle
    34.9 lev-I dropper
    leftover kona 40mm stem, bar & grips
    bontrager duster rims with sun ringle boost hub
    120mm Reba fork
    etc
    etc

Super f*cking fun bike!

14 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL

Bnerd
    I decided to use my Honzo while coaching in the WBP yesterday. I figured since my group was on hardtails I'd join them.

I have this group of 5 and 6 year olds through the summer two days a week. We pedal one day and ride park on the other.

It was fun riding the Honzo in the park. I had to adjust how I was jumping as I was over shooting everything on the first few jumps! I know it's obvious but every bit of pressure gets translated directly into the rear wheel. When all you ride in the park is an 200mm DH sled it takes a bit to readjust your jumping technique.

Thread bump with my latest build. Still waiting on new bar & stem. And a front brake hose trim

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20160729_184550.jpg
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com

Norđwegr
    Looks so much better with a dropper where the cable comes out at the clamp rather than a stealth routed one. I don't know what they were thinking when they screwed up the routing on the lower tube. If my RF Turbine fails I'm getting a KS lev or a Fox with seatclamp routing, easier to work with too.
    WTB: