Page 71 of 73 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 1801
  1. #1751
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Thanks, found an ebayseller in Taiwan selling them for $20 with free shipping so I'm going to try them out!
    I've been running ODI Rogues since I started biking. Until a couple years ago when I tried the ESI Chunky on a whim. I'm never going back to lock-ons of any sort. The ESIs are just that comfortable and never slip if saturated with rubbing alcohol for the install and left to dry a day or two completely.

  2. #1752
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    25
    I'm looking at a Kona Honzo. I'm considering doing a build what is the typical build costs you guys spent?

  3. #1753
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    Quote Originally Posted by stu-bob View Post
    I'm looking at a Kona Honzo. I'm considering doing a build what is the typical build costs you guys spent?
    Depends. But for $2500 you can get a pretty decent build going on.

  4. #1754
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    25
    I figured as much..

    I have been noticing it challenging to locate a large in my size already built. Just now starting to check out the frames

  5. #1755
    Nor­wegr
    Reputation: Vegard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I've been running ODI Rogues since I started biking. Until a couple years ago when I tried the ESI Chunky on a whim. I'm never going back to lock-ons of any sort. The ESIs are just that comfortable and never slip if saturated with rubbing alcohol for the install and left to dry a day or two completely.
    I've found that hairspray on the bar and inside the grip before installing works better than alcohol. Dries in 15 minutes too.

    If you don't have access to it in your bathroom, it's a funny way to get a date. (I checked, it works as a pickupline)

  6. #1756
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mathoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    29
    Hi there!
    There is somebody interest in my 2013 Honzo frame?

  7. #1757
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    213
    Here's a solid tip for putting on grips, and works especially well with ESIs: Slide 2-3 zip-ties inside the grip and (keeping them lengthwise between the bar and the grip) slowly slide the grip on, and position the way you want. Then just pull the zip-ties out. No residue from liquids. It's the simplest way I've installed grips.

  8. #1758
    mtbr member
    Reputation: I.V.A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    121
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo.jpg

    First photo from the wilderness by Stevil. It made me look at the geometry chart and check the standover measurements. If I'm not mistaken, Honzo in the photo is size L, but Kona kept the standover almost the same on all frame sizes like on the Process 111. I said this was the best looking Honzo, but from this perspective, I'm not so sure. Benefits of low standover numbers are obvious and enormous seat tube extension maybe works visually on curvy aluminum Process and smaller Honzo frames, but it just looks weird on big L or XL frame.

  9. #1759
    Nor­wegr
    Reputation: Vegard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    698
    Oh wow.. That angle kind of ruined it, I liked the look before seeing that.

  10. #1760
    mtbr member
    Reputation: static_x3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    33

    Re: Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

    Im glad I went the 2014 model rather than waiting for the new one. I prefer the green anwyway

  11. #1761
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ILVMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    28
    @ ReanLu,
    How are you liking the Trace? I am thinking of putting one on my Honzo, but I am worried about the lack of compression adjustment.

  12. #1762
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steele501's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by I.V.A. View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	honzo.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	915364
    I don't know what all the fuss is about. The 2015 Honzo is freakin' sick! I love that it looks like an overgrown dirt jumper. Can't wait to get my hands on one!

    Anyone know what the new frame is supposed to weigh? The description on Kona's website claims "significant weight reduction" for the 2015. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean the frame will lose weight, could be in the components i suppose... Thoughts?

  13. #1763
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11
    Yes, I was wondering about the weight as well. Unless there is a significant weight reduction in the frame, I believe I will be sticking with my 2013 Honzo even though I could use a little more stand-over height...just not sure if I like that top tube!

  14. #1764
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    95
    What do you guys feel about the Continental Mountain Kings? The ProTection w/ Black Chili Compound model. Long story short the stock 2.2 Ardent w/ wire bead just would not pop into place on my wheel, so I'm ordering 2 new tires with our shop order on Monday (even though the 2.4 popped and sealed perfect), but I've seen photo's of ripped off knobs and such a lot of people complaining about them only lasting just a couple of rides. Are they seriously this bad? I was really wanting the Hans Dampf but our distributor is out of them at the moment.....

  15. #1765
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by DeArman View Post
    What do you guys feel about the Continental Mountain Kings? The ProTection w/ Black Chili Compound model. Long story short the stock 2.2 Ardent w/ wire bead just would not pop into place on my wheel, so I'm ordering 2 new tires with our shop order on Monday (even though the 2.4 popped and sealed perfect), but I've seen photo's of ripped off knobs and such a lot of people complaining about them only lasting just a couple of rides. Are they seriously this bad? I was really wanting the Hans Dampf but our distributor is out of them at the moment.....
    I've had the top build Contis but not that model. A friend I ride with has them now. On Hans Dampfs, I'm past half wearing out a second set on a different bike. IMO the Black Chilli wears better than other soft rubber, has good traction, but not as good as really soft rubber. All compromises that make sense.

    Ripped off knobs depends upon where I ride. A place near by where ice age could not clean things up kills tires, mangles bikes, rips flesh, and brakes bones. Only harder rubber and 1000g plus DH tires have survived that. People gripe about Hans Dampf durability but my sticky rubber Nevegals and Specialized got ripped by sharp rock too.

    I went a different route after riding the Ardents with the friends that have those Conti and Hans D. I tore one of my Ardents so picked up 3 Bontrager for the price of two German tires. They are faster feeling tires, don't pack like the Ardents but are very predictable. They're not as big as the Conti and Hans Dampf. If you want ultimate lean over grip big front tire with big knobs. My wrist watch or phone ride tracking app shows I'm doing some same loops and rides faster but the XR4 front and XR3 back are not at all like going to sketchy race tires.

    Every round of the same approx 10 mi ride near our cabin has been at least 4 min faster since I've had the Bontragers on the Honzo. I'm not a racer but it has me thinking the quieter and faster feeling tires just might be faster yet I'm not losing it in soft or loose stuff.

    Rides with faster riders, using the hard tail to go car-free to some sites, and dry late summer riding have me happy with the current set up. If I was buying for traction and cornering only it might be back to the Maxxis, HDs or one of the Contis.

    To be honest I'm a little less obsessed with tires and spending so much after teaching kids MTB, rentals and demo bikes, trying different stuff. It seems like you choose big or not, exotic rubber or not, really knobby or not, 'n go ride. All summer I've watched two boys in the MTB classes, one high school kid and a college kid who can't afford much. They're putting others to shame without the latest or greatest gear because they're just totally into it and going for it.

    The ultimate would be again have two sets of wheels! Before I had bikes with disk brakes I had identical wheels with fast Conti racers on one set and big knobby on the other.


  16. #1766
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattbryant2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,120
    I'm going to highly recommend the Geax Gato 2.3. Better than the 2.4 Ardent in every way -- it's cheaper, rolls better, grips better, has better sidewalls, better tubeless performance, and to top it off, it weighs over 100g less and measures out to the exact same size. Probably the best MTB tire (and among the best MTB products) I've ever used.

  17. #1767
    mtbr member
    Reputation: static_x3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    33

    Re: Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

    Maiden voyage...



    The best thing about this photo is that after I took it, I jumped back on and it felt so natural!.....like I had put my legs back on or something. Quite an odd experience really! It may be down to the fact that I havent ridden any bike for 6 weeks

    Still, very pleased going from my Zesty to this it was an easy transition. Climbs better although I can definitely feel the 14.1kg, easy to move around and I can be just as aggressive on the downs although need to pick my lines now!

  18. #1768
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    I haven't posted any recent pics of my current setup, but not much has changed since the beginning, this season simply raised the bars 25mm and added a 40mm Chromag Ranger stem from the previous 50mm Thomson X4. Much better fit than before with the slammed stem. And finally went 142x12 Maxle Lite rear end after getting a new hub from Sun Ringle's great warranty department.



  19. #1769
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    I've had the top build Contis but not that model. A friend I ride with has them now. On Hans Dampfs, I'm past half wearing out a second set on a different bike. IMO the Black Chilli wears better than other soft rubber, has good traction, but not as good as really soft rubber. All compromises that make sense.

    Ripped off knobs depends upon where I ride. A place near by where ice age could not clean things up kills tires, mangles bikes, rips flesh, and brakes bones. Only harder rubber and 1000g plus DH tires have survived that. People gripe about Hans Dampf durability but my sticky rubber Nevegals and Specialized got ripped by sharp rock too.

    I went a different route after riding the Ardents with the friends that have those Conti and Hans D. I tore one of my Ardents so picked up 3 Bontrager for the price of two German tires. They are faster feeling tires, don't pack like the Ardents but are very predictable. They're not as big as the Conti and Hans Dampf. If you want ultimate lean over grip big front tire with big knobs. My wrist watch or phone ride tracking app shows I'm doing some same loops and rides faster but the XR4 front and XR3 back are not at all like going to sketchy race tires.

    Every round of the same approx 10 mi ride near our cabin has been at least 4 min faster since I've had the Bontragers on the Honzo. I'm not a racer but it has me thinking the quieter and faster feeling tires just might be faster yet I'm not losing it in soft or loose stuff.

    Rides with faster riders, using the hard tail to go car-free to some sites, and dry late summer riding have me happy with the current set up. If I was buying for traction and cornering only it might be back to the Maxxis, HDs or one of the Contis.

    To be honest I'm a little less obsessed with tires and spending so much after teaching kids MTB, rentals and demo bikes, trying different stuff. It seems like you choose big or not, exotic rubber or not, really knobby or not, 'n go ride. All summer I've watched two boys in the MTB classes, one high school kid and a college kid who can't afford much. They're putting others to shame without the latest or greatest gear because they're just totally into it and going for it.

    The ultimate would be again have two sets of wheels! Before I had bikes with disk brakes I had identical wheels with fast Conti racers on one set and big knobby on the other.

    It's hard to not get caught up with the building aspect of riding because of all the cool combo's and technology to always switch around to, especially working at a shop and being able to buy parts at cost, it gets very tempting to blow every paycheck lol. But I've been fortunate enough to be able to go out everyday the last 2 weeks after work for a ride and it has felt soo great! With my classes starting back tomorrow I see that slowing down though My dad has the Continental Black Chili ProTection on the rear of his bike and he's been jonesing for my Ardent's since I've had them so I threw his Conti on the rear of my bike the other day to see how it felt and I'm sold on these tires! It felt great for my kind of terrain.

    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    I'm going to highly recommend the Geax Gato 2.3. Better than the 2.4 Ardent in every way -- it's cheaper, rolls better, grips better, has better sidewalls, better tubeless performance, and to top it off, it weighs over 100g less and measures out to the exact same size. Probably the best MTB tire (and among the best MTB products) I've ever used.
    I'll definitely keep those in mind when I finish my new Conti's off (by the look of some of the reviews it appears I'll blow them out after first ride though )

    Quote Originally Posted by static_x3 View Post
    Maiden voyage...

    The best thing about this photo is that after I took it, I jumped back on and it felt so natural!.....like I had put my legs back on or something. Quite an odd experience really! It may be down to the fact that I havent ridden any bike for 6 weeks

    Still, very pleased going from my Zesty to this it was an easy transition. Climbs better although I can definitely feel the 14.1kg, easy to move around and I can be just as aggressive on the downs although need to pick my lines now!
    After seeing a couple of pics of them, I'm really starting to dig the 2014 frames, they look so great in wooded backdrops. Climbing isn't necessarily hard by any means with this rig, but you can for sure feel the steel frame and stock anchor wheels (if you're still rocking those). I'm in the process of ordering my wheel setup and I'm hoping it will help a little bit when it comes to climbing.

    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I haven't posted any recent pics of my current setup, but not much has changed since the beginning, this season simply raised the bars 25mm and added a 40mm Chromag Ranger stem from the previous 50mm Thomson X4. Much better fit than before with the slammed stem. And finally went 142x12 Maxle Lite rear end after getting a new hub from Sun Ringle's great warranty department.
    Bike looks awesome man! One of my favorite 2012's! The Kashima looks awesome up against the blue frame. I'm going to be ordering a Fox 34 Talas and D.O.S.S seat post after this season is over since my bike will be able to be down for a longer period of time after reading a lot of your reviews on that combo. Would you think a remote lockout would be a worthy investment? I don't have any massive climbs around me, but I'm definitely not flying downhill for most of my rides either....

    I'm about to install a RaceFace crankset on Wednesday so I figured I'd give my Honzo brothers first call on these before they go up on eBay (trying to avoid that since their policy allows them to hold your money for 21 days after the transaction). Factory FSA Comet cranks w/ BB. I've noticed a couple of guys trying to build up Honzo frames in the thread recently and figured I'd try to help someone out. Shoot me a price @ 806-681-4755
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_2898_zpsc2bb5a7c.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_2900_zpsad693887.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_2902_zps4d28fa9c.jpg

  20. #1770
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    156
    Anybody know if the 2014 revelation fork that comes stock on the 2014 Honzo can be extended to 140mm?

  21. #1771
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4

    My Honzo

    Have been reading this thread for a while, some nice Honzo's and good info.

    I got my Honzo just over a year ago. Have just finished adding some gear to it.

    Race face bars
    Raceface nw 30T
    Wolftooth 42T
    KS dropper
    revelation changed to 140mm
    X9 type 2 derailleur
    Time to enjoy it now!



    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-080.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-083.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-085.jpg

  22. #1772
    mtbr member
    Reputation: static_x3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    Anybody know if the 2014 revelation fork that comes stock on the 2014 Honzo can be extended to 140mm?
    Quote Originally Posted by megsy View Post
    revelation changed to 140mm

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	080.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	916512
    I guess that answers your question?

  23. #1773
    mtbr member
    Reputation: static_x3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by DeArman View Post

    After seeing a couple of pics of them, I'm really starting to dig the 2014 frames, they look so great in wooded backdrops. Climbing isn't necessarily hard by any means with this rig, but you can for sure feel the steel frame and stock anchor wheels (if you're still rocking those). I'm in the process of ordering my wheel setup and I'm hoping it will help a little bit when it comes to climbing.
    I couldnt go past the green
    Yeah std wheels setup tubeless. Only mods so far are a Reverb, took the guide off and replaced with 32T NW raceface chain ring and some Haven bars and stem to go on it.
    It will probably stay that way until i have enough coin for flow rims laced to hop hubs but that may be a long time away!

  24. #1774
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    53
    What's going on with that weird leopard skin thing?

    Do you work in an Adult shop?

  25. #1775
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    95
    Lol, it's just an old table sitting out in our garage.

Page 71 of 73 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Post your Practical Builds
    By hans-solo in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 09:13 AM
  2. Custom Builds Thread
    By jncarpenter in forum Turner
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 03:33 PM
  3. post your 7" travel under 40 lbs builds
    By dusthuffer in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 09:45 AM
  4. Post your ETSX builds
    By Shark in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 09-02-2007, 12:18 PM
  5. XCL Build thread X Post
    By DirtDad in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2006, 10:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •