Page 69 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1959656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,450 of 3811
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Time to add a photo of my 2015 honzo. I've changed a few things, added xt 10 speed with a wolf tooth 42 which I didn't need a longer b screw to make work. Moved the 2.4 ardent to the back and got a 2.4 trail boss for the front. And I finally got my first dropper a giant contact switch which I think works amazing for the price.

Norđwegr
    Bought another DHF 2.5 maxterra and a magic mary, trying both (DHF+DHF and MM+HD) and selling off whatever I don't like.

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Bought another DHF 2.5 maxterra and a magic mary, trying both (DHF+DHF and MM+HD) and selling off whatever I don't like.
    Will be interested to hear your thoughts comparing the two
    Last edited by noot; 06-09-2016 at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Honzo ST-XC

Hello Honzo world...
    For anyone out there who wanted to see proof or wondered about fitment, I just wanted to share my 2016 Honzo ST - set up a bit different from the rest of the gang. It's running Salsa Cro Moto Rigid Steel 15mm fork. It's Simple Speed. Pretty light weight.

And YES! It CAN FIT a few 29x3.0 tires out there. I've had no problems with: FAT B Nimble and currently running the VEE Trax Fatty. (obviously both only measure about 2.7in width) but doesn't matter. As it stands in this format - IT RIPS! Can't tell you how many PR trophies have been racked up so far. What a Legendary frame. Kona for the win!

Cheers All!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzst1.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzst12.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Had my first ride the other day - I am impressed. The bike climbs very, very well. The short stays and the weight distribution that entails really helps keep traction on the rear when standing and mashing up loose steep stuff. It pedals very well on the flats and the rear seems compliant enough to take the sting off most things (only running 2.4 now, soon to be 2.5 minion or maybe 3.0 now that I know it fits). Going down, the bike is very stable and hauls azz to be frank. I lost less than 30 seconds to my old downhill rig on a 5 minute trail (there is a pedaly section but still, thats really good). I still have to get my fit dialed in a bit and trim my bars but overall could not be happier

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_4130.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_4133.jpg

rho
    Life is strange
    H fellow Honzo Heads...

I'm getting ready to build up my '16 Honzo AL/DL frame and I ran into a little bit of a snag when getting the cranks installed. Pressed in the BB, put my 1x ring in the middle position on my cranks and went to put em in and the chain ring whacked the chain stay. Whoops.

So, I go off to do a bit of research, looks like boost spaced cranks are a thing, as that frame has a boost rear and that seems to be needed, however when I bought this last winter there wasn't much in the way of 148mm boost spaced cranks out there, but i really have no idea if thats what the frame needs or not. I have an email off to kona asking about what the crank the frame was designed around, but I haven't heard anything yet from them RE: the crank spacing. Anyone else run into this problem? If so, how'd it get resolved? boost cranks or boost spaced spider/single ring? whats your chain line measured at?

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    H fellow Honzo Heads...

I'm getting ready to build up my '16 Honzo AL/DL frame and I ran into a little bit of a snag when getting the cranks installed. Pressed in the BB, put my 1x ring in the middle position on my cranks and went to put em in and the chain ring whacked the chain stay. Whoops.

So, I go off to do a bit of research, looks like boost spaced cranks are a thing, as that frame has a boost rear and that seems to be needed, however when I bought this last winter there wasn't much in the way of 148mm boost spaced cranks out there, but i really have no idea if thats what the frame needs or not. I have an email off to kona asking about what the crank the frame was designed around, but I haven't heard anything yet from them RE: the crank spacing. Anyone else run into this problem? If so, how'd it get resolved? boost cranks or boost spaced spider/single ring? whats your chain line measured at?
    Scratch all that. I might be an idiot. I have to check my BB shell when i get home but..... I suspect I forgot to install the 3mm spacer with the BB.

Edit: I'm going to throw some calipers on it when I'm not stuck at KSC anymore. I just need to confirm that I am, in fact, an idiot.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sorry if this has been spoken about before, but has anyone tried a 27.5+ wheelset in a Honzo ST?
    2.8' or 3" on a 40mm rim?
    Itching to build up an ST Honzo, but would love to know if it will run 27.5+ as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Sorry if this has been spoken about before, but has anyone tried a 27.5+ wheelset in a Honzo ST?
    2.8' or 3" on a 40mm rim?
    Itching to build up an ST Honzo, but would love to know if it will run 27.5+ as well.
    Yep, the '15 and '16 steel frames and the titanium frame all will fit 2.8s and certain 3.0 27.5 tires. There's a whole nother thread on it: 27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!
    Riding a Brooks saddle mounted to Reynolds 853

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidfs View Post
    Yep, the '15 and '16 steel frames and the titanium frame all will fit 2.8s and certain 3.0 27.5 tires. There's a whole nother thread on it: 27.5+ Honzo Thread - Post your Fatzos here!
    Legend. Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    • FRAME MATERIAL Kona Cromoly Butted
    • FORK RockShox Revelation RL Solo Air 120mm
    • CRANKARMS FSA Comet
    • CHAINRING 32t Narrow wide RaceFace
    • B/B FSA BB7000
    • PEDALS Shimano Saint
    • CHAIN KMC X10
    • FREEWHEEL Sram PG1030 11-36t 10 spd
    • F/D
    • R/D Shimano Zee
    • SHIFTERS Shimano Zee
    • BRAKE CALIPERS Shimano SLX
    • FRONT BRAKE ROTOR Avid G2 Clean Sweep 180mm
    • REAR BRAKE ROTOR Avid G2 Clean Sweep 160mm
    • BRAKE LEVERS Shimano SLX
    • HEADSET FSA NO.10/No.7B/44
    • HANDLEBAR Kona XC/BC
    • STEM Kona XC/BC
    • SEATPOST Rockshox Reverb 125mm
    • SEAT CLAMP Goud-Oranje no-name
    • GRIPS Oranje lock-ons no-name
    • SADDLE Madison Flux
    • FRONT HUB Hope Pro 4 20mm
    • REAR HUB Hope Pro 4 142x12mm
    • SPOKES Stainless 14g
    • RIMS Hope Tech Enduro i23
    • FRONT TIRE Continental Mountain King 2.4
    • REAR TIRE Maxxis Ardent 2.4
    • PAINT COLOR Matt Gold w/Orange & Black

The Zee derailleur and shifter are new since last month, the hope tech enduro wheels since yesterday. Making me feel like new-bike day again!

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    Scratch all that. I might be an idiot. I have to check my BB shell when i get home but..... I suspect I forgot to install the 3mm spacer with the BB.

Edit: I'm going to throw some calipers on it when I'm not stuck at KSC anymore. I just need to confirm that I am, in fact, an idiot.
    SO.

Got an email from Kona saying to use a boost crank(or ring or w/e). Also confirmed that the BB shell width is 92mm.

Hope this helps anyone who is building one of the Honzo AL/DL frames up in the future!

Also, I'm off to buy a Boost crank. -_-

Norđwegr
    2016 Honzo Small For Sale

Good deal even tho it's listed as a 2k16, not affiliated with the seller.

Bnerd
    I was #outforarip yesterday.

Here's a collage sequence of a tech section that I missed the line on.
    The fast line is through the off camber roots to my right. I still managed to hold it together even though I was bounced off line!
    The roots have a tendency to push you into the stump if you don't hold the line well. I've been intimate with that stump on a few occasions!
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-collage-ampm.jpg

I think this is the best shot out of the sequence.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20160614_153622_023_01.jpg

I'm loving the bike even more now that I'm running the Fox 34 with a carbon wheel. So solid! I can ride this bike that much harder!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Just built:

27.5 lbs
    2016 Kona Honzo ti Size M
    Hope Pro 4 Hubs
    Spank Oozy 345 rims
    Maxxis Ardent Gumwalls 2.4
    Chromag carbon Fubars 780mm
    Chromag Ranger v2 stem 40mm
    Rockshox Pike RCT3 140mm
    Rockshox Reverb Stealth 125mm dropper
    Shimano XT Brakes
    Shimano XTR Shifter/Cassette 1x11
    Shimano XT RD
    Raceface Aeffect Cinch Crank
    Raceface NW 30T chainring
    Deity flats
    Fizik Gobi Kium saddle
    Easton Grips

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by travsaves View Post
    Just built:

27.5 lbs
    2016 Kona Honzo ti Size M
    Hope Pro 4 Hubs
    Spank Oozy 345 rims
    Maxxis Ardent Gumwalls 2.4
    Chromag carbon Fubars 780mm
    Chromag Ranger v2 stem 40mm
    Rockshox Pike RCT3 140mm
    Rockshox Reverb Stealth 125mm dropper
    Shimano XT Brakes
    Shimano XTR Shifter/Cassette 1x11
    Shimano XT RD
    Raceface Aeffect Cinch Crank
    Raceface NW 30T chainring
    Deity flats
    Fizik Gobi Kium saddle
    Easton Grips

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honzo.jpg 
Views:	1717 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	1076582
    That is gorgeous! Damn I want a size small Ti

Norđwegr
    How tall are you SB666?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    How tall are you SB666?
    5'7

I have a small 2015 steel frame and it's perfect. The 2016 has even longer reach so I'd definitely want a small

Norđwegr
    Same as me, but I had a 2013 small. The 2016 TI feels smaller somehow, but probably because I got used to a bigger bike in my devinci atlas.

mtbr member
    Is anyone running a 28t chainring with a 10-42 cassette on a 2016 Honzo? I currently have a 30t and 11-42, and there isn't a lot of room between the chain and the top of the chainstay. I'm worried that the reduced height of the new cassette's smallest cog, combined with a smaller chainring, will cause the chain to be rubbing the stay in the hardest gear.
    Living the dream at TDA Global Cycling – epic bike tours from 500 to 15,000 km.

TDA Global Cycling

Quote Originally Posted by micah356 View Post
    Is anyone running a 28t chainring with a 10-42 cassette on a 2016 Honzo? I currently have a 30t and 11-42, and there isn't a lot of room between the chain and the top of the chainstay. I'm worried that the reduced height of the new cassette's smallest cog, combined with a smaller chainring, will cause the chain to be rubbing the stay in the hardest gear.
    I'm running a 28T front but don't meet you other criteria for valuable input. So I'll just answer the way I always do.

Ditch the gears, save 2 pounds, and have more fun.
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon commuter
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Aaaaaand, it's in carbon now. Wow.

Kona Honzo CR Review | BIKE Magazine

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by rdawson808 View Post
    Aaaaaand, it's in carbon now. Wow.

Kona Honzo CR Review | BIKE Magazine
    Nice! Now if only it had sliders....
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Nice! Now if only it had sliders....
    This. Also curious about tire clearance, though without sliders I don't think it matters.
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ti still get me way more excited... I hope I get a chance at picking one of those up!

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    Ti still get me way more excited
    agreed
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Looks like the carbon and aluminum will be complete bikes, any word on whether they will continue to offer the titanium frame? I can't imagine they would discontinue the steel, but it seems the titanium runs are often just for a year yeah?

Norđwegr
    BB92, lack of sliders and boost doesn't give me any regret over buying my ti
    Last edited by Vegard; 06-17-2016 at 01:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Looks like the carbon and aluminum will be complete bikes, any word on whether they will continue to offer the titanium frame? I can't imagine they would discontinue the steel, but it seems the titanium runs are often just for a year yeah?
    The lynsky Explosif frame has been around for 3 or 4 years now...
    So I hope it wasn't a one time thing! Already kicking myself for not getting the 2016 when I had the chance but they had no problem selling them out - why discontinue? The question is, will it be boost or not? For my own selfish reasons I hope they hold off on boosting it but not holding my breathe.

mtbr member
    Oh you are right about the explosif, and the raijin ti is still available too, for some reason I thought both of those were single-year models...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    The question is, will it be boost or not? For my own selfish reasons I hope they hold off on boosting it but not holding my breathe.
    see ian schmitt's interview on pb:
    "The steel and aluminum bikes can rely on a plate-style chainstay yoke which doesn’t require much space as it is just a flat piece of material. Carbon construction requires a hollow tube all the way to the chainstay/bottom bracket juncture, which occupies more space than the plate-style yoke. "
    i aint no engineer, so not sure if that is also true for the AL version.
    so they dont have that specific reason to use boost for the ti and steel versions. other reasons may exist, of course.

mtbr member
    Oh you are right about the explosif, and the raijin ti is still available too, for some reason I thought both of those were single-year models...
    the kona score (aggressive ti hardtail) was available only for a half season back in 2004 or so, afaik. this was mentioned in the robot-bike article on nsmb. maybe that is what you had in your mind.

Norđwegr
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-1076958d1466194845-someone-please-buy-2016-honzo-ti-1113.jpg

Been having fun on it for the past 5-6 weeks

RF post is disappointing, doesn't feel as nice as my KS Levs; but the trigger is a whole lot better.

mtbr member

Been having fun on it for the past 5-6 weeks

RF post is disappointing, doesn't feel as nice as my KS Levs; but the trigger is a whole lot better.
    Have you tried the KS southpaw? Mounting is fiddly but I love the looks and ergos, and it's under thirty bucks!

Norđwegr
    Yeah I have one Compared to the stock carbon fiber 'button' that comes with a Lev it's awesome, but the ergonomics on the stock RF trigger is actually quite good and negates the need for a 'shifter' styled trigger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    With the new model being announced I realized I never posted my Honzo.

I rode an XC hardtail for 2 seasons before building the Honzo. I've been riding it since the end of last summer. Not only has it pushed my riding to another level, it's been stupid fun. I'm not going to say I enjoy pedaling this thing up hills. It's pretty damn heavy, or at least it feels it. But it certainly does reward you once pointed down. That pretty much sums up everyone's take on this bike I'm sure.

In all its muddy glory:

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-uploadfromtaptalk1466204388906.jpg

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    BB92, lack of sliders and boost doesn't give me any regret over buying my ti
    +1

I'm gladly took the ti wagon just in time, L frame at home and build is on it's way .

No regrets on the carbon/boost/bb92 , fragile/useless/no maintenance friendly

carbon will never make people dream like the ti does :-)

Interesting to see the geo evolve like the dh bike "never big enough"

Behind the Bike: Developing the XXL Santa Cruz V10 - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Yeah I have one Compared to the stock carbon fiber 'button' that comes with a Lev it's awesome, but the ergonomics on the stock RF trigger is actually quite good and negates the need for a 'shifter' styled trigger.
    I run hacked XX shifters (to match ergo of my drive train) for my droppers. Ergonomics are perfect so the dropper gets used a whole lot more as it's just so natural.

Bnerd
    I love where this bike takes me!

mtbr member
    Buena vista!! Where is that?

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    Buena vista!! Where is that?
    It's in Whistler, BC.
    From the west side of the valley looking south east from about 1300m in elevation.
    That's Black Tusk in the distance.

mtbr member
    Stunning!
    Pity there's an ocean and 1.5 continents between me and that place
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    So, Sram made an 8 spd ebike drive train. It sounds like great match to my haphazard shifting skill while under load and/climbing. I don't care much about the 48t, but I could maybe run a 36t chainring. I use an XT shifter to made big changes so the 1 shift per throw wouldn't change my pedaling much I think. Thoughts?

Norđwegr
    If you really wanted to go bonkers and avoid problems shifting under load, get a rapid rise from shimano. It's 9spd and pure awesomeness, I just wish they catched on because they're brilliant for climbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    So does the carbon honzo have boost? if the carbon stache doesent happen, i want the carbon honzo. ill do just a frame on the honzo and build it up shimano/fox, im not digging the sram/rock shox build kits.

Norđwegr
    It's boost. Look at the Canfield epo if you don't want boost.

Another ride in the mountains on my Honzo, another great day. Everytime I ride this bike I like it more.

On an angry note - my Reverb post died again. I had it repaired by SRAM a few months ago. It's now in pogo-stick mode again, and it happened sometime last week while sitting in my vehicle - wasn't even riding. What a piece of junk. Stay away!

Last edited by noot; 06-27-2016 at 11:55 AM.
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    Carbon Honzo is Boost.
    Kona blew it by not building it with sliding drop outs. Tsk, tsk, tsk, Kona.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Another ride in the mountains on my Honzo, another great day. Everytime I ride this bike I like it more.

On an angry note - my Reverb post died again. I had it repaired by SRAM a few months ago. It's now in pogo-stick mode again, and it happened sometime last week while sitting in my vehicle - wasn't even riding. What a piece of junk. Stay away!

I second that - always enjoy the ride with the drunken monkey.
    I've been happy with my ks dropzone - pity to hear you made bad experiences with the reverb. Maybe you should give ks a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    I second that - always enjoy the ride with the drunken monkey.
    I've been happy with my ks dropzone - pity to hear you made bad experiences with the reverb. Maybe you should give ks a try.
    I'm gonna hold off for a while, see if I can get by without a dropper. If I do go back, the 9point8s look interesting. Some nice features that are of sudden interest considering my reverb failure - specifically, air spring failure just means "manual operation", the lock mechanism still works.
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com