Page 69 of 73 FirstFirst ... 19 59 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 1809
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    Here's an update.

As you see it - I could not be happier. The biggest change was moving to a Rockshox Pike. The quality of damping on the Pike is outstanding. It's supple on the small stuff, stays high in the travel and take hard whomps with ease. I read about 130 mm 29r Pikes available or convertible, and now I see 120 mm Pike on the 2015 Process. I think I'd like those lengths most for my Honzo.

Hans Dampf/Nobby Nic combo has been flawless.
    Interesting on your comparison to Revelation. My friend has a Pike and I rode a few. It was really more travel and thicker fork that stood out most compared to my OEM Honzo Revelation. Both are very supple compared to my bike with TALAS, and remind of the good old days of Marzocchi coils when just riding along.

I have Hans Dampf on my other bike so imagine how that combo is. That's a favorite tire but I wanted something faster as much as something that doesn't pack with mud like the Ardents. I just made an initial post on the Bontrager 3 and 4 series I got hoping to find something in between the Schwalbe and Maxxis tires I like.

Your blue's probably my favorite Honzo color but I don't mind my green.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I'll have to agree with this statement 100%. Running more spacers this season is the best thing I've done for fit of this bike yet. I'm 6'4" and on the 20" Long frame. When I built it up in 2012 I ran a short CC40 upper cup and maybe 15mm worth of spacers, next season I slammed the stem to the headset cup and thought I was cool and always came back with an aching back after longer rides. Fast forward to this season and having a new CSU for my creaking Fox 34, I was left with an uncut steerer tube like yourself and started playing around. I'm now using a tall CC40 cup, which already is 7mm taller than before, and 30mm worth of spacers between that and my 40mm Chromag Ranger stem (also new for this season, previously only ran a Thomson X4 50mm). The fit is spot on!!! No more aching back and overall it just feels better in every position and I'm riding more aggressively as well. As for the bars, they never changed, 25mm rise Chromag OSX 780mm
    Good to hear!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Interesting on your comparison to Revelation. My friend has a Pike and I rode a few. It was really more travel and thicker fork that stood out most compared to my OEM Honzo Revelation. Both are very supple compared to my bike with TALAS, and remind of the good old days of Marzocchi coils when just riding along.

I have Hans Dampf on my other bike so imagine how that combo is. That's a favorite tire but I wanted something faster as much as something that doesn't pack with mud like the Ardents. I just made an initial post on the Bontrager 3 and 4 series I got hoping to find something in between the Schwalbe and Maxxis tires I like.

Your blue's probably my favorite Honzo color but I don't mind my green.
    We seem to be spoiled with tire choices lately. From the mentions they get in Bike reviews, the newer Bontrager offerings that use square knobs as a starting point are a good choice. I hope they work out of you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Here is my single speed honzo build:

Large 2014 honzo
    Rockshox revelation 120mm
    Chris king hubs with stainless steel driveshell upgrade
    Stans flow ex rims
    Shimano deore crankset w/ 32t chainring
    Chris king 20t cog
    Shimano deore brakes (soon to be xt) w/ ice tech rotors
    Maxxis ardent tires f&r
    Easton haven carbon bars
    Specialized command post & henge seat
    Kona stem

Great single speed bike, a little heavy but a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker831 View Post
    Shimano deore brakes (soon to be xt) w/ ice tech rotors
    I just put XT's w/ Ice Tech rotors on my Honzo, GREAT setup, it's been my favorite brake yet, can't beat the price either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Anyone know the stock wheelset weight for the 2014 model? Might be the same wheelset as precious years, deore hubs with center lock rotors and i23 rims.

mtbr member

It's been a long two weeks off the bike

I purchased a set of 2011 Sun Ringle Charger Experts 29er wheels 3 years ago. Previous wheelset was a set of Hope Pro2/Mavic EX721 and jumped on the Chargers as I was slightly overbudget on my 29er build at the time. Figured if they last a year or two I'd be happy and worry about upgrading to Hope Pro2 Evo/Flow EX 29er when the time came. Well over the course of 3 years, I've been stoked with my Charger wheels, super easy to set up tubeless (zero flats since trying tubeless btw, knocks on wood), quite easy to service bearings (just finally replaced all bearings to SKF beginning of this season) and ultimately very stout and reliable. They have stayed true regardless of my aggressive riding style, only broke two spokes (one on the trail, one in the driveway lol) and have performed great regardless of my clyde status three years ago as well, the 28-spoke count worried me coming from a 36-spoke rim.

Fast forward to two weeks ago and I've spotted this while turning the rear wheel. There was a slight wobble to the flange of the rear hub where the spokes attach to and noticed the cracking, not as severe as this thread but still worried me. A couple detailed pics, a quick email to the Sun-Ringle warranty department, and I had a reply the next day to send in the wheel for hub replacement, no questions asked, no copies of invoices or proof of purchase needed. I knew Sun-Ringle was easy to get along with from previous encounters regarding spoke lengths and freehub bodies, but this was just amazing.

And I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask about upgrading the Disc Jockey II hub that was used on the 2011 Experts to something that is convertible to 142x12, as that's one thing I have always regretted with this wheelset. I plan on upgrading next season to a new 29er FS frame like a Kona Process 111, and now I can easily reuse this wheelset and not bother dropping $500+ on a Hope/Flow EX 29 combo or relacing it to a Hope Pro 2 Evo 28 hub either. I was just stoked when my request was accepted and even pushed my luck a bit further asking for a chromoly freehub body because I could not reuse the one from my Disc Jockey II hub that I had to purchase additionally for another $90 or so.

I shipped the wheel to Sun-Ringle on a Friday and it was back on my door step next Wednesday. It was even taped up with Stan's tape, ready to go out of the box. I was also expecting it to be heavier since the new Demon hub is more DH than XC like the Disc Jockey but was surprised that the new wheelset was 16g lighter.

First ride tomorrow as I have my bike back all together now and took this opportunity to upgrade my Kona Honzo to 142x12 for only $75. Found someone selling new dropouts and Maxle Lite left over from when they sold their Honzo frame.

meh?

I purchased a set of 2011 Sun Ringle Charger Experts 29er wheels 3 years ago. Previous wheelset was a set of Hope Pro2/Mavic EX721 and jumped on the Chargers as I was slightly overbudget on my 29er build at the time. Figured if they last a year or two I'd be happy and worry about upgrading to Hope Pro2 Evo/Flow EX 29er when the time came. Well over the course of 3 years, I've been stoked with my Charger wheels, super easy to set up tubeless (zero flats since trying tubeless btw, knocks on wood), quite easy to service bearings (just finally replaced all bearings to SKF beginning of this season) and ultimately very stout and reliable. They have stayed true regardless of my aggressive riding style, only broke two spokes (one on the trail, one in the driveway lol) and have performed great regardless of my clyde status three years ago as well, the 28-spoke count worried me coming from a 36-spoke rim.

Fast forward to two weeks ago and I've spotted this while turning the rear wheel. There was a slight wobble to the flange of the rear hub where the spokes attach to and noticed the cracking, not as severe as this thread but still worried me. A couple detailed pics, a quick email to the Sun-Ringle warranty department, and I had a reply the next day to send in the wheel for hub replacement, no questions asked, no copies of invoices or proof of purchase needed. I knew Sun-Ringle was easy to get along with from previous encounters regarding spoke lengths and freehub bodies, but this was just amazing.

And I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask about upgrading the Disc Jockey II hub that was used on the 2011 Experts to something that is convertible to 142x12, as that's one thing I have always regretted with this wheelset. I plan on upgrading next season to a new 29er FS frame like a Kona Process 111, and now I can easily reuse this wheelset and not bother dropping $500+ on a Hope/Flow EX 29 combo or relacing it to a Hope Pro 2 Evo 28 hub either. I was just stoked when my request was accepted and even pushed my luck a bit further asking for a chromoly freehub body because I could not reuse the one from my Disc Jockey II hub that I had to purchase additionally for another $90 or so.

I shipped the wheel to Sun-Ringle on a Friday and it was back on my door step next Wednesday. It was even taped up with Stan's tape, ready to go out of the box. I was also expecting it to be heavier since the new Demon hub is more DH than XC like the Disc Jockey but was surprised that the new wheelset was 16g lighter.

First ride tomorrow as I have my bike back all together now and took this opportunity to upgrade my Kona Honzo to 142x12 for only $75. Found someone selling new dropouts and Maxle Lite left over from when they sold their Honzo frame.

Always liked their customer service. I've seen those wheels on sale recently. I'm glad to hear they lasted that long.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hey Honzolitas

Through a spoke nipple pull-through situation on my city bike (a Kona Unit), WTB has kindly supplied me with a KOM i23 29" rim as a replacement. Huge props to them btw- had great correspondence with them and they essentially offered me whatever I wanted.

I'm also about ready to pull the trigger in a 1x11 system. This means getting a hub with the appropriate XD driver body.

So- I have a wheel build in my future!

My gut is to get a hub that is 142 only. However, I'm intrigued by the latest Nukeproof Generator hubs which have an interchangeable axle system.

My Honzo is a 2012, and has 135 dropouts. I'd have to hunt down some 142 dropouts if I wanted to go that direction.

Interested to hear any thoughts around 135 vs 142 on this bike!

mtbr member
    Let's say that you already have a 142x12 rear wheel and you bought a hardtail frame with 135 mm dropouts. The frame has interchangeable dropouts, so the logical and cheaper option would be to just change the dropouts. But, you have a hardtail frame with 135 mm dropouts and now you want to change the dropouts for the 142 mm rear hub that you don't even have so you can enjoy 7 mm of change you (or anyone else for that matter) won't ever notice. Flash news: you are riding a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.V.A. View Post
    Let's say that you already have a 142x12 rear wheel and you bought a hardtail frame with 135 mm dropouts. The frame has interchangeable dropouts, so the logical and cheaper option would be to just change the dropouts. But, you have a hardtail frame with 135 mm dropouts and now you want to change the dropouts for the 142 mm rear hub that you don't even have so you can enjoy 7 mm of change you (or anyone else for that matter) won't ever notice. Flash news: you are riding a hardtail.
    Idk, I just took my first ride 2 days ago with the new 142x12 rear end and I can tell you it's much stiffer than my previous QR setup. I view the extra stiffness from the diameter of the Maxle Lite compared to a dinky QR skewer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by I.V.A. View Post
    Idk, I just took my first ride 2 days ago with the new 142x12 rear end and I can tell you it's much stiffer than my previous QR setup. I view the extra stiffness from the diameter of the Maxle Lite compared to a dinky QR skewer.
    Thanks guys.

As my LBS is a Kona dealer they can get drop outs easy enough. I would agree with IVA in the sense that noticing or caring that I have a wider rear hub is inconsequential to my riding experience (willing to be proven wrong!) Bonus of having a hub that is 142 (or that can be converted to 142) is that if/when I get a FS frame, it's one less thing to deal with.

Nor­wegr
    9mm qr vs 12mm thruaxle is definitely noticeable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by baltik View Post
    How much weight does the 12x142mm adapter add?
    Very little I would guess...does it matter? We're not exactly riding a lightweight xc bike made out of carbon or ti.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    How much weight does the 12x142mm adapter add?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    matters to those of us that that are cardio-challenged but still enjoy hefty steel bikes

mtbr member
    Thought I saw it somewhere earlier in the thread, but can't find it now -- anyone know the cost of the 142x12 dropouts from Kona?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    Thought I saw it somewhere earlier in the thread, but can't find it now -- anyone know the cost of the 142x12 dropouts from Kona?
    The Path Bike Shop quoted me $30 per side with hardware, plus another $70 for the Maxle Lite (and they didn't have any in stock, has to be ordered from Kona). Bikeman.com quoted me $100 for both dropouts (minus new hardware) and Maxle Lite for $100 (and they had them in stock). I got lucky finding a guy on eBay who sold his red small Honzo frame (FM's original frame, now onto owner #4) who didn't sell the dropouts and Maxle when he posted the frame for sale. I contacted him and asked if he sold them with since owner #3 included them in the sale, so I ended up getting both brand new from him for only $70.

Jkj
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Hi Eurospek,

A your frame 2015 Honzo? Where did you get it? And how much? And do you know the weight of the frame?

Hope you don't mind ask my questions coz the dealer in my country no longer selling Kona I have a hard time looking for 2015 medium honzo frame!! And of course, the best is if you know any bike shop and sell and help to send to my country- Singapore

Many thanks

mtbr member
    ^ Not mine. I'm on a 2012 frameset.

Jkj
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Oops does anyone has any ideas?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Call Kona -- If they're available, they'll get you one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DeArman View Post
    These photo's will probably make some of you color-matching haters cringe.
    I only color match in black. Although mango Kings would be awesome but black was on sale. Like, really on sale. I am not sure my next bike will have orange on it. I had to get a front wheel sooner than expected so I went with a KOM/i23. My bike feels quicker but that is probably new parts glow. I already managed to ding the rear wheel... At least that part is over. Now I get to recover from a knee surgery I am having next Thursday. Good thing the weather is so hot it is hard to ride after early morning.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-rear-wheel.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-front-wheel.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-air-keytar.jpg

*I don't know why the pics are flipped when they are opened. Doess anyone know of a fix?
    Last edited by beer_coffee_water; 08-03-2014 at 10:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I only color match in black. Although mango Kings would be awesome but black was on sale. Like, really on sale. I am not sure my next bike will have orange on it. I had to get a front wheel sooner than expected so I went with a KOM/i23. My bike feels quicker but that is probably new parts glow. I already managed to ding the rear wheel... At least that part is over. Now I get to recover from a knee surgery I am having next Thursday. Good thing the weather is so hot it is hard to ride after early morning
    Bike looks great man! The subtle look works great on these bikes too. Between my summer classes and working two jobs while transitioning one to the other (two weeks notice's suck, but pumped for my new job at my LBS!) I haven't gotten many rides in at all man, finally got out yesterday and it was a blast! How do you like those King hubs? I'm lacing them to my already existing WTB i23 rims that came with the bike, as I haven't had any issues with them yet. I will say though, locating some parts in orange/mango is proving rather difficult. My next bike will more than likely not have orange either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DeArman View Post
    Bike looks great man! The subtle look works great on these bikes too. Between my summer classes and working two jobs while transitioning one to the other (two weeks notice's suck, but pumped for my new job at my LBS!) I haven't gotten many rides in at all man, finally got out yesterday and it was a blast! How do you like those King hubs? I'm lacing them to my already existing WTB i23 rims that came with the bike, as I haven't had any issues with them yet. I will say though, locating some parts in orange/mango is proving rather difficult. My next bike will more than likely not have orange either.
    The Kings are super nice. They are more quiet than I imagined, but my builder said they should get louder over time I can feel the difference between it and my old hub going up and during stopping/stalling.

I hear you about summer school. I just finished my second class on 8/1. And the fall semester starts on 8/10.

Page 69 of 73 FirstFirst ... 19 59 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 LastLast