Page 67 of 78 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,350 of 3874
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Is the black Honzo a 2015 or 2016?
    The 2016 is easily discernible because it has the low top tube and gusseted seat tube. there is a black version with the green and blue lettering.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I think the black frame with the green and blue decals is a 2015

Norđwegr

Those are the steel variants, AL is evil and shouldn't be mentioned; Ti is awesome thus everyone already knows it :P

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JessterCPA View Post
    I think the black frame with the green and blue decals is a 2015
    Oops I stand corrected!
    I thought they changed the frame design for '16 not '15, my bad. Thanks for the year-by-year breakdown Vegard.

mtbr member
    Hi sb666
    Thanks for your thorough reply! Those are very good info's. I'll probably upgrade to 2.5 minions once the time comes.
    Cheers,
    Rynee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    This may be a stupid question.... But does everyone else's 2015/2016 Honzo have slightly more tire clearance on the drive side vs the non-drive side?
    I've got a similar issue with my 2011 Explosif, where the clearance is uneven when the dropouts slammed forward. Now I'm running with an offset as well, which makes me a bit uneasy..

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm glad to see someone else running Time pedals, if you're riding clip ins in the PNW and not running Times, you really need to switch, I've been running Times for 25+ yrs and swear by their mud performance and entrance/exit ease. Last year was the first time I haven't ridden with them, switching to flats (45NRTH Heiruspecs) on my Honzo. I think the biggest difference for me is in technical areas knowing I can get off without unclipping and my knee pain is gone, but I've been contemplating throwing them back on ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    I've got a similar issue with my 2011 Explosif, where the clearance is uneven when the dropouts slammed forward. Now I'm running with an offset as well, which makes me a bit uneasy..
    Is your wheel dish off?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My dish was not off, I think the the frame is drilled just a 1/2 millimeter disproportionately on one side. Pulling one side back just a hair solved my issue. Rynee, if you rule out the wheel dish possibility, it's likely you just need to slightly adjust your sliders.

Time ATAC pedals are awesome. Can't beat the float, they are the closest performance I have found to riding flats in terms of being able to adjust your foot angle for better body english. I go between flats and the time pedals, I prefer riding clipless on the hardtail just cause it's so much easier to get bounced off the pedals. That bit of composite cage on the MX series pedals really does help, I have had plenty of times where I couldn't get clipped in time but the cage provided enough support to make it through the section. I will say that their customer service moves very slowly... I had a warranty issue and it took a good 2-3 weeks from emailing them to actually receiving my repaired pedals back. Other than that, they are the best!

mtbr member
    Hi,
    Quite sure that it isn't, I've tried three separate wheels by now..
    @sb666 yes thanks, that's what I did 😉

the air is thin up here..
    Finally got the new Ti Honzo out to my favorite riding grounds.

Was running a bit higher tire pressure than normal, since there's significantly more climbing than my local river valley.

As mentioned before, I'm no pro rider who can identify precisely why a bike feels the way it does, but here's what I figure re: Titanium:

The "bad":
    Standing and mashing up the first climb (when I still had energy to do so), I could definitely feel some flex. Sorta similar to fork squish, but different. Not a problem for me as I didn't buy this bike to set records climbing hills. Also note that I'm probably 240lbs geared up.... oof.

The "good":
    That same "flex" translates into some pretty smooth riding downhill over the rough stuff. Again I'm no pro, and I'm not pushing hard into corners since I'm a wuss, but I do feel that "snap" people talk about.

I'm also a pretty big fan of the i35 rims - the extra tire volume definitely smooths out the roots. Really hoping the Bontrager 29x2.55 coming this summer is a legit 2.55 and 800g - would fill out nicely on the i35's

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20160515_171014_hdr.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20160515_171213_hdr.jpg
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon commuter
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com

Norđwegr
    Woah, that looks like a nice area to ride in!

So in regards to the above topic of rear wheel clearance, I went and had a look at my Ti and as it turns out there's wee bit less clearance on the driveside with the CS slammed. Roughly 1-2mm, couldn't get my calipers in there to measure accurately.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Mine is symmetric at the shortest cs mode.

29ers Forever
    I'm gonna place an order on the 2016 Honzo ST, I hope I am not too late to order one. I'm excited to finally join the Honzo crowd.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I placed an order last week they told me latest update was May sometime. *fingers crossed*

29ers Forever
    Turns out the shop I emailed is closed on Mondays.
    Now should I wait to see if they can order it or should I see if I can get one from BikeMan. Would they take more preorders than they have bikes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yea it really only takes a half a mm difference between the way the 2 stays were drilled for the dropouts to knock the symmetry off. If your clearance is asymmetric, I suggest you do the same thing I did and just pull whichever side needs it back a half millimeter or so, whatever gets your clearance lined up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This thread has been awesome. I've gone through every page during the last few days. Very informative.

I'm currently debating a 2015 Honzo, or a 2016 Honzo AL/DL.

At 5'7", I'm in between Small and Medium. One shop has a Small 2015, and one shop has a Medium 2016 AL/DL.

I'm going to check them out this weekend. I wish I could have the opportunity to try out Small and Mediums in both versions but Honzo's are in short supply at this time. At least in my area.

I like the idea of the lighter weight Aluminum version as an alternative to my current daily driver which is an SC Nomad V3.

But it's hard not to be swayed by everyone's glowing review of the steel version, despite its heft. I'm already used to riding all over with my ~30lb Nomad. Just not sure if I want to have 2 "heavy bikes" in the rotation.

I guess there's not much of a question here in this post, just wanted to contribute something as I've been lurking in this thread for days. Can't wait to check them out this weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Craw View Post
    This thread has been awesome. I've gone through every page during the last few days. Very informative.

I'm currently debating a 2015 Honzo, or a 2016 Honzo AL/DL.

At 5'7", I'm in between Small and Medium. One shop has a Small 2015, and one shop has a Medium 2016 AL/DL.

I'm going to check them out this weekend. I wish I could have the opportunity to try out Small and Mediums in both versions but Honzo's are in short supply at this time. At least in my area.

I like the idea of the lighter weight Aluminum version as an alternative to my current daily driver which is an SC Nomad V3.

But it's hard not to be swayed by everyone's glowing review of the steel version, despite its heft. I'm already used to riding all over with my ~30lb Nomad. Just not sure if I want to have 2 "heavy bikes" in the rotation.

I guess there's not much of a question here in this post, just wanted to contribute something as I've been lurking in this thread for days. Can't wait to check them out this weekend.
    Get the 2015 small and never look back

Honestly, I am between small and medium also at 5'7 and I went with a small. The 2015 has a really long reach, the small is over 16", and the 2016 is even longer... I'm definitely glad that I went with the small

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Oh that's good to know! Yeah, going over the numbers, the Small Honzo looks like a good fit for me, similar to my Nomad.

The Medium definitely makes a large jump in reach.

Norđwegr
    I'm 5'7 aswell, either would fit. The small is probably on the edge of what would work, but imho it's offers the funnier ride of the two.

29ers Forever
    I am confused on what size frame I should order.
    I am between Medium and Large. I'll see what my LBS can order from those sizes, but I don't know if I would like the massive reach on the L instead of the shorter reach on the M, just a little longer than my FS bike.
    I want a bike with longer reach, but I don't know if I would rather have 11mm or 38mm. I think that 38 might be a little too much, even with a stubby stem.

The M is more similar to my FS bike in geometry, but I don't know if I should get that or a larger bike.
    Now I just have to wait to see what my LBS can order.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    What is your height? Mixed opinions over here though. What is your present bike? I am 5'11 and I am riding a 2016 Large with a 50mm stem with the dropouts in the shortest CS mode. fits perfectly both ups and especially on the downs because of the longer wheelbase and much more stable feel of a "larger" frame. I find it much more nimble and maneuverable vs. my Large Tallboy LTC. I guess with the shortish chainstay that this bike has, going one size up will be reasonable.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by brotheronwheel View Post
    What is your height? Mixed opinions over here though. What is your present bike? I am 5'11 and I am riding a 2016 Large with a 50mm stem with the dropouts in the shortest CS mode. fits perfectly both ups and especially on the downs because of the longer wheelbase and much more stable feel of a "larger" frame. I find it much more nimble and maneuverable vs. my Large Tallboy LTC. I guess with the shortish chainstay that this bike has, going one size up will be reasonable.
    I am 5'10" and I have a Rocky Mountain Instinct 950.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Shortish? 16.3" is close to as short as it gets for 29ers! There are a few biked with 16.25" but I haven't seen any shorter than that on a 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I know someone same height as you who rides a medium and looks like he is loving it. I am actually a hair below 6 bare footed (tip of head to floor). I used to ride a medium evil following and though it is nimble, i find the bike twitchy on straight line hi speed descents.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    Shortish? 16.3" is close to as short as it gets for 29ers! There are a few biked with 16.25" but I haven't seen any shorter than that on a 29er.
    What I meant was that the bike is on the shorter/est side in terms of chainstay length. And yes it is short. Really short. Thats why its so nimble and having a longer front center when you upsize will be beneficial on the rough stuff.at least for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Cannondale f9, Craw

Just as SB666 states in post 3324, the honzo has a pretty long reach...of someone is to upsize, they either have really long arms or ride really fast so as to need the extra stability of the longer wheelbase (which the larger 29er wheels already affords).

brotheronwheel and I have debated sizing ad nauseum - I still think that upsizing these long, low, slack agressive geometry bikes is a mistake if one is riding aggressively.

My advice, if you're in between, go with the smaller size.

(height with riding shoes is 5'11", 34/35 sleeves, 32" inseam - medium, it was never a question).

mtbr member
    IMO if you're 5'10 you definitely want the Medium. I'm 6', but I have short legs, so the large is good but any shorter and it would be too big I think.
    Living the dream at TDA Global Cycling – epic bike tours from 500 to 15,000 km.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Or determine your priorities/preference first.

I live in Socal and trails here are assorted in such a way that there is no "one bike to rule them all" thing. Ultimately, it will all boil down to the riders' skills. For sizing, given the all the other variables are consistent, stability is for a larger frame and nimbleness/flickability is for a smaller frame. A smaller frame will never feel as stable as a larger frame. Same can be said for a larger frame that it can never feel as nimble as a smaller frame.

The asnwer really lies with you. Stable or nimble If you are 5'10 flush i will put you on a
    medium.

at my height, im really happy on the large.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Or determine your priorities/preference first.

I live in Socal and trails here are assorted in such a way that there is no "one bike to rule them all" thing. Ultimately, it will all boil down to the riders' skills. For sizing, given the all the other variables are consistent, stability is for a larger frame and nimbleness/flickability is for a smaller frame. A smaller frame will never feel as stable as a larger frame. Same can be said for a larger frame that it can never feel as nimble as a smaller frame.

The asnwer really lies with you. Stable or nimble If you are 5'10 flush i will put you on a
    medium.

at my height, im really happy on the large.

Very true. All depends on the rider and what they're looking for. I'm in So Cal too. In my head, I'm thinking I'd like the Honzo to be a fun alternative to my Nomad. Where the Nomad is my aggro plow bike, the Honzo can be my fun mess around bike.

Of course, I'll know more this weekend when I get to try out a Small and Medium Honzo.

So much great info being provided here, I thank everyone again for their thoughts and input.

29ers Forever
    Thanks guys I'll try to get my hands on a M frame. If they are out of stock it'll suck but I am gonna wait to see what my lbs says before I order one online.

mtbr member
    Hi guys, I have been loving my st for about 6 months now - give it some real hammer and it just laps it up. I now know 3 people who I ride with who would like to get an st frame. Unfortunately, the importers here in the UK are clueless as to whether they are going to be able to get more frames (they are like rocking horse sh*t!) and they try to push people to buy the al which is not what most want.
    Does anyone know if Kona are going to keep making the st and if so, will they ever make it to the UK again?

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    Purely a guess on my part but I think what you are experiencing is that we are basically in between model years with new 2017 models about to drop. And your importer has AL models in-stock that they want to unload... No surprises there.

I was actually surprised that Bikeman is getting another batch of the current 2016 ST Honzo's at the end of the month with the new year models looming. FWIW Kona is promoting the new HeiHei carbon with both models available in the UK and EU. Only the DL is available in the US with the Race becoming available in early August. Kona has dropped new models in early August in the past.

And I can't imagine the ST Honzo going anywhere but they are clearly expanding the alloy options with the upcoming Big Honzo. I'm hoping we see a carbon Honzo.
    I hope that Kona keeps making the steel Honzo. It would be a shame if the Honzo was dropped, and replaced with an alloy bike bearing the same name. In that situation I am not sure what I would do, the Honzo ST is basically the bike I want.

I just need to have some more faith in Kona, I guess.

mtbr member
    It would be a big mistake stopping the steel Honzo. Here in the UK we have just gone through a horrendous winter where steel bikes come into their own (I has had 3 friends with smashed aluminium frames in the last few months). The Honzo geometry is being near copied by other firms who make steel bikes (Chromag, Guerilla Gravity etc) which shows they are on to something. Here's hoping Kona continue to make the ST

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Is the carbon honzo really real or just a forum pipe dream? That would be epic... when do you think we'll really know?

WNC Native
    Hoping July also.

Was told this on May 9th when asking about the Wozo-

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Kona! We will be coming out with our new model lineup in Aug/Sep. Please stay tuned to konaworld.com.

-Joe"
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    There was a guy who was posting who evidently works for a dealer and supposedly has a friend at Kona spouting off about a bunch of updates. 'quickjuan' has since canceled his account and disappeared.

That being said, he called the HeiHei carbon and the two versions. He also suggested that a 27.5+ Honzo is in the cards - we've already seen the Big Honzo.

He suggested that a carbon Honzo is coming and that it would emulate the alloy version with fixed Boost dropouts. We'll see but so far quickjuan's batting average is impressive.

If going by past announcements, we should expect to see the 2017 models by mid-July:

2014 models - July 10, 2013 (Wed)
    2015 models - July 14, 2014 (Mon)
    2016 models - July 14, 2015 (Tue)

Yes, I'm bored. Stuck at the airport slinging beers after my flight got canceled...
    My buddy came across this last night: https://instagram.com/p/BEM5PSynSV-/

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgs010 View Post
    It would be a big mistake stopping the steel Honzo. Here in the UK we have just gone through a horrendous winter where steel bikes come into their own (I has had 3 friends with smashed aluminium frames in the last few months). The Honzo geometry is being near copied by other firms who make steel bikes (Chromag, Guerilla Gravity etc) which shows they are on to something. Here's hoping Kona continue to make the ST
    I hope they keep making it too, but if Kona stops making the steel Honzo I will have to choose either the alloy Honzo or another brand's steel hardtail, neither of which I am interested in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the info on the carbon day dream.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I'm feeling rather polar when it comes to the fit/sizing of the Honzo. I (5' 10") started out on a 2013 medium with a 55mm stem... I convinced myself that I wanted (not needed) a 2015 large. I found one, rode that a bunch with a 40mm stem and really liked it. My soon to be wife (5' 7") moved on to the medium honzo with a 40mm stem. She liked it, because it was a better bike than hers, and she really liked the 29er wheels for rolling over crap. I think the wheel size gave her confidence, but the overall size of the bike was a bit too big for her when the trail got a bit more technical and steep... so we found her a 2015 small honzo and built it up with a 60mm stem. She immediately felt more confident and felt the smaller frame was more fun because of the nimble factor... also the lower stand over height.
    So with the medium frame laying around, I decided to swap the large out and retry the medium with a 60mm stem (soon to try a 500mm as well). A bit more twitchy on steep descents, but an overall improvement in nearly every category. I could definitely be very happy on either the 2013 medium or the 2015 large, but I am going to stick with the original 2013. It suits my riding style and trails a bit better.

mtbr member
    Quick snap before tonight's ride. The non-dropper setup is here to stay this year. I'm enjoying it lol.

konahonzo

mtbr member
    My two cents:

I'm 5'10, longish torso, average arm/leg length. I wear 32" inseam pants.

I was on a 2013 medium, 50mm and 65mm stems, preferred 65m. 785mm bars.

Currently on a 2016 large, 35mm stem, and 775mm bars.

I could ride either set up but I descend faster on the large, beating times I set on a Process 134 and 153. Could be the type of trails I ride, I live in San Diego, but I never wish I had a smaller bike.

Some other things to consider are weight and compliancy. My large is about 3/4 of a pound heavier than my medium because of the new gusset and moving up a size. Also, a large frame will be more compliant than a medium giving a more comfortable and stable ride in my opinion due to the slightly longer tubing. Yes, I really can tell a difference. Keep in mind, bar width can affect bike fit/reach a lot.

Another reason I prefer large is the quicker steering and direct input a short stem provides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Bikeman got their shipment in and is shipping frames today! Finally!!!!

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Quick snap before tonight's ride. The non-dropper setup is here to stay this year. I'm enjoying it lol.

Props!
    The OG Honzo still looks sexy in my eyes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Picked mine up today at BikeMan. Its a sharp frame for certain - its a bit heavier than I expected but then again so am I...

The welds are fantastic, finish is great. I just registered it for the lifetime warrantee. Time to buy some more parts and get this party started.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20160520_182737.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20160520_182758.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20160520_182838-1-.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20160520_182942.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20160520_183021.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic13 View Post
    Picked mine up today at BikeMan. Its a sharp frame for certain - its a bit heavier than I expected but then again so am I...

The welds are fantastic, finish is great. I just registered it for the lifetime warrantee. Time to buy some more parts and get this party started.
    Hi. Could you say the weight and the dimensuons of the box? I want to order it to Europe. I need understand how much will be shipping. How long do you wait for your frame frome the pre-order date?

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by q232 View Post
    Hi. Could you say the weight and the dimensuons of the box? I want to order it to Europe. I need understand how much will be shipping. How long do you wait for your frame frome the pre-order date?
    Shipping gets quoted correctly at bikemans store so just put one in the cart and have a look for your destination.

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic13 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160520_182838 (1).jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	338.4 KB 
ID:	1071476
    Keslrun

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What is the frame weight of the ST? I've read statements that say it's around 6.5 to 7, is that factually correct?

Norđwegr
    That's about right, give or take some for frame size.