Page 67 of 79 FirstFirst ... 17 57 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 77 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 1959
    mtbr member
    Hmm, guess I'll keep an eye on it when riding tomorrow. Forgot to add, never came close to dropping my chain with the Narrow/Wide, so the chain guide is staying off

Nor­wegr

I took the colourmatching to another level.
    WTB:

mtbr member
    nice pic!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-10405679_10203550767946106_421837957357358748_n.jpg

Stock 2014 build for now. Working on gathering bits. Just wanted to share the picture of my new ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Very nice. Super jealous due to my lack of a front wheel, lol.

Nor­wegr
    I've dropped 2lbs off the Honzo in the past few days, down to 28.7-ish [13.1kg]
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpa View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10405679_10203550767946106_421837957357358748_n.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	906154

Stock 2014 build for now. Working on gathering bits. Just wanted to share the picture of my new ride!

Dude, this color really kick ass!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    My 2013 frame is about two months old, well cared for, and showing a bit of rust just ahead of the top tube/seat tube gusset. The front edge of the gusset has very little finish on it, and my guess is sweat dripped into the seam there and the rust is coming up under the finish, fingering towards the center of the top tube.

Anyone else seeing a similar issue. Kona pretty much blew me off, implying that it's a cosmetic issue. I'm disappointed with their support on the matter. Suggesting steel wool!?

I'm considering the idea of a refinish, but even so I think it'd be difficult to clear all the rust that's likely built up under the gusset. Thoughts?

Absolutely love the bike btw. Without question, my favorite that I've owned.

Nor­wegr
    Getting rid of the rust without taking some of the finish off is going to be hard if at all possible. Konas support has in my experience been awful, to the point of when this frame dies I'm not getting another frame or bike from them.

That being said the Honzo geometry kicks ass, I wish Ibis or Devinci made it
    WTB:

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I really want to support them. I've ridden their frames since 1994, and have been a consistent advocate of the brand. Yet, the first time I need them to step up and take care of me, they pretty much sneer and laugh in my face. The first sales/warranty guy didn't even really listen to my concern. He's the one that offered the steel wool advice. The next guy (his boss, I presume) downplayed it, and then in one sentence said it was a cosmetic problem and not an issue he'd heard of before (I find this very hard to believe) and that they'd gone to a new finish in 2015 that should be better. I pointed out his contradiction and at that point the conversation lost all objectivity. He'd made up his mind that I would not receive any support on the matter and nothing would've convinced him otherwise. I asked him very clearly if rust under the finish on a two month old frame is purely cosmetic and he replied "yes and it will not be covered under warranty."

So, now I either have to watch the rust continue to creep up the top tube and - who knows how far - down towards the seat tube under the gusset, or I have to fork out $200-$500 for a refinish... for the two month old bike.

I think Kona made a poor decision taking this finish to market and they should take care of customers who have issues with it. At a bare minimum they could offer a bit of the clear coat that I can use to refinish that area, but that's still an inconvenience, and not the ideal customer service.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    I've dropped 2lbs off the Honzo in the past few days, down to 28.7-ish [13.1kg]
    What's the current build spec? I'm still hovering around 30ish.

mtbr member
    I have a little bit of rust right there too but it's not under the finish, just surface rust where the finish didn't reach up under the gusset all of the way I assume. I put an air chuck in one of the water cage bolts after washing one day and water blew out of the front of that gusset because it's not welded up front. I haven't worried about it much honestly. My bike was missing one of the dropout bolts when I bought it and I contacted Kona and they sent me a new one free of charge immediately. Is your rust actually eating away the finish?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    It's just under the finish. Looks like rust started to form under the gusset and is reaching up under the edge of the finish, which gets thinner right there at the end of the gusset.

It's small now, but growing without question. I just just went out of town for a week (left the Honzo at home to spare it the salt and sand) and it was quite a bit more noticeable in that short amount of time.

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    What's the current build spec? I'm still hovering around 30ish.
    Off the top of my head it's the below spec. Probably forgot mentioning some bits and I could probably drop an lb or two more if I really went weight crazy.

'13 Frame
    Pike 140mm
    Zee crank, derailleur, shifter
    Raceface 32t NW chainring
    XTR BB
    Eggbeater 2 pedals
    XT cassette & chain

Magura MT2 brakes, 160/180mm rotors
    SRAM Roam 60 wheels
    Hans Dampf trailstar 2.35 front
    Nobby nic pacestar 2.35 rear

Hope non-qr seatpost clamp
    Procraft dropper post
    Race Face Aeffect saddle
    Renthal fatbar lite
    Hope DH stem, 50mm
    Hope Headset
    Cannondale lockon grips
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Anyone have an XL Honzo they are willing to part with?

Kona Honzo XL WANTED - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    Anyone have an XL Honzo they are willing to part with?

Kona Honzo XL WANTED - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    2012 Kona Honzo 22" 29er New | eBay

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Re: Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Nor­wegr
    Nice build
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Anyone know how to get their hands on some slider bolts? Two of mine are stripped (previous owner) and now I can't adjust the rear. I emailed Kona tech and they were less than helpful, obviously I'd be willing to pay.

mtbr member
    I contacted Kona about getting one and they told me that they are available at any hardware store lol but they still sent me two of them when I asked for one, quick shipping too! If you PM me your address I'll send you the other one tomorrow if you'd like free of charge

mtbr member
    Oops, I see that you have two that are stripped, I only have one. I'll still send it if you'd like though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I saw that one, I meant another XL... like that frame and fork listed in the classifieds with an unresponsive seller!

Doesn't matter though, because I got impatient and decided I'd rather ride than wait it out, so I bought that one on eBay. Should be here Monday. I'm stoked.

I'll be coming off a steel SS w/80mm suspension fork. Right away the bike will get a new drivetrain (the old one will be sold as new if I like the bike, or put back on if I don't)... and grips, pedals, saddle (all the stuff I would change on any stock bike). I've got a brand new Zee/XT 1x10 drivetrain (I'd probably want to pick up a narrow/wide ring for my Zee crank, as I don't want to use a chainguide, though I almost think with the short cage clutch derailleur the standard ring might do), but I was also considering just keeping the SS drivetrain initially. I have been enjoying it lately...

My real question is, which should my first experience with the Honzo be -- 1x1 or 1x10? It will certainly be the one upon which I judge it, and a lot of bikes have been through my garage lately, and they've all been unable to dethrone my Surly as the one. These days I'm starting to think two mountain bikes might be the magic number (and, you know, a cross bike, road bike, and touring bike). But I digress...

Also, should I go for the 140mm fork conversion to color my early experience? I've only been riding the 80mm for a few months after almost 10 years of rigid riding (with hardtails and full-suspensions in my distant past), and typically ride frames with steep XC geometry (often on much gnarlier terrain than they are intended for)... so the slack HT and 120mm fork will be big departures for me already, but so will the short chain stays. If I'm really just going for it, go 140? Or baby steps? I'm trying to break out of my box with this bike. I do like to pop...

If I keep the bike, it'll get new wheels and brakes, probably a handlebar and stem, probably a dropper post, probably a headset... Regarding wheels I have read your posts on the Charger Pros, eurospek, and I have been considering those. Otherwise thinking about building up some i23s on Zee hubs. Also eyeballing the Zee brakes, which aren't available as affordably as the SLX, but the O-C in me feels as if he would be so satisfied with the complete Zee kit, based purely on a very strange desire for consistent componentry... (Does anyone else have this problem?)

Anyway, forgive the self-indulgent post. I'm just really looking forward to this bike... and, okay, I've had a few drinks while reading almost 2/3 of this behemoth of a thread. I'll finish it in the morning.
    Last edited by mattbryant2; 07-12-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Nor­wegr
    IMHO, invest the most in the wheels.
    When I changed out the Hope/Flow EX with SRAM Roam 60s the change in acceleration was very noticeable. For a moment it almost felt as quick as my 19lb 27.5 xc bike.

1x10 and 140mm will give you a very capable trail and all mountain rig, few are strong enough to muscle around 1x1 on the kind of trails the Honzo can take on.

The Zee group is very nice, the derailleur is only 40g heavier than a XX1 derailleur, the cost difference isn't exactly $40.. I'm looking into running all Zee derailleurs next season. Zee sounds nicer than SLX aswell :P

-

As for matching brands, I've never seen the need, but on my Honzo build I tried to stick to Zee, Hope and Race Face. Though that quickly spiraled out of control when I bought a RS Pike and SRAM wheels.
    WTB:

mtbr member
    I LOVE my Zee derailleur combined with my Saint shifter, I was going to go with the Saint derailleur, but a lot of you guys talked me into the Zee. This derailleur shifts 100% smooth and quiet and has absolutely no delay, and the clutch works great! No chain slap or droppage combine with the RaceFace Narrow/Wide. I'm going to get my wheels built in December. I was going to go for the Hope Evo 2 hubs, but now I think I want to go all of the way and spring for the Mango King's. Decisions Decisions :/ Either way though, I'll be excited to get these factory boat anchors off of it.

mtbr member
    Here it comes guys Possibly a Titanium Honzo frame???
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-screen-shot-2014-07-17-4.02.34-pm.jpg

Page 67 of 79 FirstFirst ... 17 57 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 77 ... LastLast