Page 64 of 69 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 1706
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeArman View Post
    Just made some purchases to prep the bike for the new brakes/drivetrain tonight What's everyones view on running a chain guide with a clutch derailleur and narrow-wide CR? Undecided if I want to take mine off as I like the look, but that's kind of useless weight too....
    Don't shoot if it doesn't work for you but....

I added the Race Face wide/narrow, removed the chain guide, keep the der in clutch mode. No chain loss in same places it happens or happened with other bikes. I've had my Honzo a short time but repeated rides where I end up in a rocky gully at speed and then have to shift to pedal up and down. Two spots there would be lost chains on other bikes over time and it's not happening so I have a lot of confidence in the clutch der and wide/narrow ring setup.

Some I know who are honestly hucking big stuff and quite extreme have legitimate reason for always wanting a chain guide but my more basic play is often in trail sections many avoid and I have no problems. I also have no experience using the clutch type with anything but the wide/narrow up front and suspect the clutch der does the most good.

Nor­wegr
    Easton EC70 Trail '14 or SRAM Roam 60 '14 is what it's down to atm. Can get the former for $200 less. Both are 24 spoked, but the reviews are good for both so I guess I can disregard any scepticism towards that.
    CFR Scalpel
    Kona Honzo
    Diamant Mammut Mk1

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm getting so close! My wheels are scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday and then I'm done.

XT RD
    XTR shifters
    XT cassette
    XT brakes
    XT icetech rotors
    I9 hubs (orange)
    WTB KOM wheels with orange nipples
    Raceface NW (orange)
    Salsa seat post clamp (orange)
    Moove pedals (orange)

Got to be some of the funnest geometry out there. Can't wait to see how it rolls with light wheels/hubs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-moove1.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    My husband's building up a Large 2014 Honzo and I just found an X Fusion Trace 29er (140mm, his dream fork) that I'd like to get for him. However, it's used and the steerer tube has been cut to 7 inches. My instinct tells me this should be OK, but I'm hoping someone here can confirm for me before I buy it.

I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread, I'm clearly new here!

Thanks!!

rjx
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReanLu View Post
    My husband's building up a Large 2014 Honzo and I just found an X Fusion Trace 29er (140mm, his dream fork) that I'd like to get for him. However, it's used and the steerer tube has been cut to 7 inches. My instinct tells me this should be OK, but I'm hoping someone here can confirm for me before I buy it.

I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread, I'm clearly new here!

Thanks!!
    I can't help you with your question.

But Universal Cycles sells X-Fusion Trace forks and they have a new 15% off coupon for orders over $300. And you get free s/h and depending where you live, no tax.

Universal Cycles -- Search Products, Categories, Companies

Coupon bikingisfun15

Nor­wegr
    The steerer on my small frame I cut to 7 1/2 inches aka 19cm. Two spacers under the stem.

Depends on what kind of stack and bottom cup is going to be used I guess, I'd rather buy it new to be safe.
    CFR Scalpel
    Kona Honzo
    Diamant Mammut Mk1

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    The steerer on my small frame I cut to 7 1/2 inches aka 19cm. Two spacers under the stem.
    I wonder how that translates to the large frame.

Depends on what kind of stack and bottom cup is going to be used I guess, I'd rather buy it new to be safe.
    I know they are Cane Creek but I don't know their measurements off hand. Sadly, the used is just barely within budget so new is out of the question ATM.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Nor­wegr
    Headtube length on the small appears to be 90mm and on the large it's 110.
    Ref: KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | TRAIL 29" HT | HONZO

The difference between the headtube lenghts equals the amount of spacers I have on my small frame. I also have a bottom cup that's quite large (hope). So I assume the fork you found would work, but I'd get a few more opinions first. Hopefully someone in here has a large frame and is willing to measure their steerer
    CFR Scalpel
    Kona Honzo
    Diamant Mammut Mk1

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hopefully someone in here has a large frame and is willing to measure their steerer
    That's what I'm hoping for. My research is telling me that it's going to be close, but I feel like if I find one rider who's made it work, I'll go for it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven1three View Post
    Got to be some of the funnest geometry out there. Can't wait to see how it rolls with light wheels/hubs.
    Those wheels <3
    I got some goodies in today my chainring and orange shift cable housing. Ordered my Zee derailleur today at the LBS but they weren't able to get the Saint shifter, I was also having difficulties with my card so I wasn't able to order the Deore XT brakes, I'll get those ordered by the end of the week though.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_2643.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_2644.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]902304[/ATTACHHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_2647_zpsd3ed87dd.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_2646.jpg  

Nor­wegr
    The XT shifter will work fine too, probably a wee bit lighter than the Saint.
    I'm happy with the Zee shifter, the build quality isn't perfect; but it works.
    CFR Scalpel
    Kona Honzo
    Diamant Mammut Mk1

mtbr member
    The one thing that dissapointed me in the Zee shifter is you can't use it on the same clamp as the Zee brake (the name for that system eludes me atm)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Those wheels <3
    I got some goodies in today my chainring and orange shift cable housing. Ordered my Zee derailleur today at the LBS but they weren't able to get the Saint shifter, I was also having difficulties with my card so I wasn't able to order the Deore XT brakes, I'll get those ordered by the end of the week though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2643.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	902299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2644.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	902301[ATTACH=CONFIG]902304[/ATTACHClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2647_zpsd3ed87dd.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	902309
    Nice.

My wife allows freedom or latitude I don't see given to many husbands. A bike or even shoes in the kitchen are not part of that.

It's fun to see the different build options and choices people make here. I'll think of more seeing what people do. Then when I ride this bike I finish thinking it is really great with the stock parts though I'm sure I have more performance with tubeless, dropper and ditching the chain guide for narrow/wide 30t.

Wheels are where I'll probably spend. I buy the hype and news on very wide tubeless rims. Monday I swapped bikes with a friend who had XT/XTR mix as well as high end Industry 9 hubs w/ wider rims. Seems the tubeless tires are even better when cornered hard or climbing in messy stuff. I have a lighter wheel set on another bike and even if mental, they feel great when you move the bike around. I broke its expensive der and a cheap replacement shifts as well so that's all helping me stop the Honzo upgrades until I do the 35-40 mm wheels.

Nor­wegr
    Spend a little extra to get light wheels if you're getting something that wide. IMHO frame, fork and wheels make the ride and if the latter is heavy, especially the rear it can spoil an otherwise great build.

I'm happy with the Enve AMs on my Scalpel, so I'm going with the same approximate width on the Honzo.
    CFR Scalpel
    Kona Honzo
    Diamant Mammut Mk1

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I haven't gotten the bike out in the wild yet due to recent rains but I can tell a huge difference with the new wheel set just roaming around the neighborhood. This bike loves light wheels!

I have this same wheel set (I9/KOM) on both of my bikes and I can't speak highly enough about them. Instant engagement hubs that are both light and tough. As long as you aren't punting big stuff then I think you'd be stoked on the KOMs too. Great wheel set if carbon isnt in your budget
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-4.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-1.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Spend a little extra to get light wheels if you're getting something that wide. IMHO frame, fork and wheels make the ride and if the latter is heavy, especially the rear it can spoil an otherwise great build.

I'm happy with the Enve AMs on my Scalpel, so I'm going with the same approximate width on the Honzo.
    Yes on what makes the ride. Note my earlier and other comments on experiences with shifting and brakes at high and modest prices.

I'm leaning toward the 35 mm rims thinking the 40 mm rims out there are too much for some 2-5 miles of road sessions I'll do between home and trails. For hubs I want options for Shimano and SRAM 11 speed.

LB and Derby look like the obvious choices for rims.

White Industries seems good for hubs. Past experience with their stuff has been good, and I think they're less $ than other top tier hubs.

Nor­wegr
    I haven't gotten the bike out in the wild yet due to recent rains but I can tell a huge difference with the new wheel set just roaming around the neighborhood. This bike loves light wheels!

I have this same wheel set (I9/KOM) on both of my bikes and I can't speak highly enough about them. Instant engagement hubs that are both light and tough. As long as you aren't punting big stuff then I think you'd be stoked on the KOMs too. Great wheel set if carbon isnt in your budget
    I9 and their licensed hubs are pretty good, the weather sealing is kind of dodgy though.
    Between my Hope 40t and my I9 (P321) I can't really tell the difference when it comes to the engagement.

Rain makes it more fun unless you're on a VPP bike, this is from earlier today:
    CFR Scalpel
    Kona Honzo
    Diamant Mammut Mk1

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Nice.

My wife allows freedom or latitude I don't see given to many husbands. A bike or even shoes in the kitchen are not part of that.

It's fun to see the different build options and choices people make here. I'll think of more seeing what people do. Then when I ride this bike I finish thinking it is really great with the stock parts though I'm sure I have more performance with tubeless, dropper and ditching the chain guide for narrow/wide 30t.
    Nobody was home during this picture The stock build worked great for me! I just like building things and making them my own. I'm CRAVING a dropper though, I just don't feel as if the technology is there yet, I see a lot of complaints on the longevity/reliability and having to rebuild often.

I hate the stock wheels! They work, but man they're heavy! I'm ready to get them swapped out!

I just won an auction on eBay today for an Inset 7 Chris King headset. I was wondering though, what is that silver piece near the top? I don't see it with any other Inset 7 headset online. Is it possibly the Race just misplaced? Here it is Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-%24_57.jpg

Nor­wegr
    Looks like the race was put there to keep it in place. Remove it and see if it fits the bottom bearing and you'll have your answer
    CFR Scalpel
    Kona Honzo
    Diamant Mammut Mk1

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    That's what I thought, just wondering what you guys thought. I'm so stoked to get this!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thought I'd share my Honzo with you guys.
    It's the 2013 frame with custom paint job (raw steel with clearcoat).

The spec:
    Fork: X-Fusion Trace
    Dropper: KS LEV 125mm
    Saddle: ANVL Forge Chromo
    Stem/Handlebar: Easton Havoc
    Grips: LizardSkins North Shore
    Brakes: SLX, IceTech rotors
    Cables: Jagwire
    Wheels/hubs: Velocty Blunt 35mm rims, XT (front) and Zee (rear)
    Rubber: Minion DHF, Minion DHR II
    Shifter/der: X9 w clutch (short cage)
    Chainring: Raceface single (narrow-wide)
    Pedals: DMR Vault
    Cranks: FSA Comet

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo-2.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo-1.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-photo-5.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix_C View Post

The spec:
    Dood that looks great! The frame looks awesome as well! Great setup

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix_C View Post

The spec:

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	902739

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	902740

Name:	photo 5.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	902741
    Why stop there? I'm sure there are some other orange bits that you could fit on that poor bike that colorblind people won't mind.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by I.V.A. View Post
    Why stop there? I'm sure there are some other orange bits that you could fit on that poor bike that colorblind people won't mind.
    Tough Crowd

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What's everyones view on running a chain guide with a clutch derailleur and narrow-wide CR? Undecided if I want to take mine off as I like the look, but that's kind of useless weight too....
    I've got about 100 miles on an XTR Clutch/Narrow-wide setup without the chain guide with no problems at all. Go for it!

Page 64 of 69 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast